Which unit for muzzle loader

Spottnknob 51

Hi all,,,,been reading all the great posts and humor on here for a long time and figured I would join in on the forum. Just curious on y'all's opinion with 20 resident points for elk which unit for a chance at a 360 plus bull would you choose? Phavant,San Juan, boulders? And for muzzle loader.. still a long shot for drawing but hopeful lol. Thanks.

One of these days I need to cash in my elk points and go hunting. I think I'm probably at 20 or more. A muzzleloader hunt could be a good one. Those 3 units you mentioned are right at the top of the list for best units in the state.
My buddy says I should apply for Desert. He guides up there and says they guide you, feed you, set you up in a nice place, pack the animal out, etc. It makes a guy think, hmmmmmmm.......

You still maybe a point or two away but with that many points invested, I would consider the Manti Premium tag. Depending on your age it may be a OIL hunt....

Solitude there is no doubt the age is a factor for sure. 51 so definitely a OIL LE elk for me. Killed several nice bulls over the years with my bow on general tags so I'm swinging for the fences on this 20 plus year tag. Go big or tag soup. Just hope the point creep will let me draw before my butt is 60. A pack with a couple water bottles will feel heavy at that age ??

One of these days I need to cash in my elk points and go hunting. I think I'm probably at 20 or more. A muzzleloader hunt could be a good one. Those 3 units you mentioned are right at the top of the list for best units in the state.
My buddy says I should apply for Desert. He guides up there and says they guide you, feed you, set you up in a nice place, pack the animal out, etc. It makes a guy think, hmmmmmmm.......

Desert doesn’t sound like your cup of tea.. you seem like a guy that would be happier with a 350 bull DIY than a 370 guided. I meet some of your relatives during a hunt this year. Good people.

Deseret is a dang good hunt Founder, I've guided many many hunts up there and the accommodations are second to none.

I second what Berryblaster said....get Fstop to guide you if he's still affiliated with DLL.
I haven't been up there since about 2012 so I'm not sure who is still up there.

Deseret is a dang good hunt Founder, I've guided many many hunts up there and the accommodations are second to none.

I second what Berryblaster said....get Fstop to guide you if he's still affiliated

I haven't been up there since about 2012 so I'm not sure who is still up there.
I'm not so sure driving around in a truck, shooting from the roads is Brian's cup of tea. You dont need somebody to hold your hand Brian. Find a unit you are interested in, find a good bull and kill him just like you always do on your hunts. More fun and rewarding than being guided.

I'm not so sure driving around in a truck, shooting from the roads is Brian's cup of tea. You dont need somebody to hold your hand Brian. Find a unit you are interested in, find a good bull and kill him just like you always do on your hunts. More fun and rewarding than being guided.
That's funny.....I've never seen an animal shot from a road on Deseret in all my years ?

Honestly, I don't think Deseret would be for me. I've been saving the points for a year when I run out of deer hunt options and have all summer to scout. I don't think I'd get to scout Deseret much and even if I found a huge bull, I doubt I'd get to hunt it. What sounds so good about Deseret is the accommodations and someone tough like Slamdunk or FStop taking care of the elk and packing it out, as I believe they do up there even for public hunters...???????

I live here in the state, have the time to scout and hunt and so what's best for me is to do it all on my own. But anyone is welcome to help cape, butcher and pack it out with me. :giggle:

That sounds more like Founder haha. If you find yourself on Dutton like you mentioned, I'd be happy to haul a couple quarters for you.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom