Which Utah archery Antelope unit?

dgwoody

I've got 4 antelope points this year and I'd like to burn them to start back at building elk points next year. I've been researching the draw odds and harvest data on the division website and it looks like I can about pick what unit I want, with only a few exceptions. There are also a few CWMU's I could draw, but really don't like the CWMU thing at all.

I need some input on which unit will give me a chance at a good goat (mid to high 70's) and also has good access and terrain for spot and stalk style hunting. The units I'm looking at are:

Book Cliffs, both Bitter Creek and South
Fillmore, Oak Creek
Nine Mile, Anthro-Myton Bench
North Slope, Three corners
South Slope, Bonanza (lower draw odds for this one)

Anyone have experience hunting goats in these area's that's willing to share advice?

Book cliffs and Myton turned out good goats last year.

have you considered sw desert? Might be worth a thought.

I've got about a month worth of vacation this year, but I'm also expecting to draw a Wyoming elk tag, so I'd probably dedicate about a week total for scouting and hunting to this tag. Another vote for SW desert has my curiosity up though.

It’s just a large area, so it can take a good amount of time to find a really good one, but they are there.

I've got about a month worth of vacation this year, but I'm also expecting to draw a Wyoming elk tag, so I'd probably dedicate about a week total for scouting and hunting to this tag. Another vote for SW desert has my curiosity up though.

with a week to scout split the unit into quarters and scout one quarter thoroughly.

It’s just a large area, so it can take a good amount of time to find a really good one, but they are there.

Looking at the harvest data, the SW Desert had a 75% success rate and the average days hunted was just over 5. For an archery hunt, thats really good, but compared to other units that had 100% success and less than 2 days hunted, not quite as much. Would you think that is due to the size of the unit? I'm also not big on sitting water, so that means I'll need some little hills and draws in order to stalk them. Would this unit accommodate that where the goats are?

To throw another one out there, does anyone have experience with antelope on the La Sal unit? It looks like I would have decent odds drawing a rifle tag for that one.

There are a few areas that it lends itself too, but for the most part antelope are in the flat valleys. I think most people sit water.

Beaver unit is a good area, killed a nice one there a few years ago
1115142227.jpg

Beautiful goat! I drew this unit with the 5.00 tag from the hunt expo. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Maybe I am confused, but how do you know you drew an expo tag in 2023 already? I don't believe results have been posted yet, but could be wrong??

Crazy thing I actually drew two of them. So they called today, to give me the option which one I want. Beaver or Fillmore Oakcreek before they go public tomorrow
oh wow! Congrats on the tag! Wish I had some info to share with you on those 2 units, but I have never hunted them.

Good luck and come back to share your adventure here ?

I hate to give up secrets but myton bench is awesome. Lots of oilfield traffic every day so they just stand there and look at you.

I've got 4 antelope points this year and I'd like to burn them to start back at building elk points next year. I've been researching the draw odds and harvest data on the division website and it looks like I can about pick what unit I want, with only a few exceptions. There are also a few CWMU's I could draw, but really don't like the CWMU thing at all.

I need some input on which unit will give me a chance at a good goat (mid to high 70's) and also has good access and terrain for spot and stalk style hunting. The units I'm looking at are:

Book Cliffs, both Bitter Creek and South
Fillmore, Oak Creek
Nine Mile, Anthro-Myton Bench
North Slope, Three corners
South Slope, Bonanza (lower draw odds for this one)

Anyone have experience hunting goats in these area's that's willing to share advice?
San Rafel North or South. Both have loads of goats and public ground.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom