Which week for elk????

J

jjwillie

Hi all-

I was curious...which week of the general rifle season do you guys feel is the best. If you had only one week, which would it be. I know it may vary by region.
For example, we hunt the Sawtooth units and have always hunted the first week. Seems like the elk are still bugling a little and are still in their normal routine (unpressured).

I was looking at the harvest statistics for the last few years and noticed a dramatic increase in the number of hunters in this area last year. That's why we were looking towards the last week this year (1st week of Nov), because I assume most people will be weekend warriors and hunting the first week.

last years fires misplaced a ton of hunters, so that may be the cause of a large increase. Weather is everything where we are at

Elk goes out the first week of November, so how does the weather change from mid-Oct to Early-Nov? It isn't more than about 8200' where I hunt, will more elk move to 6-7000' if there are snows?

>Elk goes out the first week
>of November, so how does
>the weather change from mid-Oct
>to Early-Nov? It isn't
>more than about 8200' where
>I hunt, will more elk
>move to 6-7000' if there
>are snows?

Yes, if it's deep enough.

First week is typically best imho...weather can hit like a ton of bricks (case in point ,last season). Generally speaking elk seem to return to their habits after the the pressure dies off....but weather is a wild card...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom