white muzzle loader open sight thoughts

huntin50

Very Active Member
Fellow muzzle loader experts.
I plan on hunting elk open sight or peep for LE elk hunt this fall.
I have a white 50 cal. Killed a couple deer with it years ago. I'm thinking I will be good up to 125-150 open sight. Will a peep give me another 50 yards? I have this summer to prepare.
Thanks,

That depends on your eyes but most llikely yes you'll gain 50 yards.

Here's my deal. I have peeps on 3 of my White's and am more accurate with a peep than open sights. With that said, I also need reading glasses but at arm's length I am 20/20 but I'm also nearsighted so I need correction for far away too. In short, I have a lot going on when I aim. My glasses are progessives with 3 zones. I am confident out to 150 with the peep and a smidge over a 100 with open sights. Some guys can shoot out to 200 or better with a peep. I also went to a globe crosshair on the front of my go-to White and I like it but in dark timber it can be iffy. I tried white paint on the crosshairs and didn't like it so went back to black.

As Fallguy says, depends on your eyes. Most likely though - peep sights are superior at any range. I take the factory open sights off all my muzzleloaders and throw them in the garbage.

I just feel more accurate with a peep. I have a peep on all my guns, including my white.

But I also use the 6 O’Clock hold. Even so, 150 is my limit

Great feedback. Thanks. I'm almost 60 years old and need reading glasses, but can see distance well. I can see the end of my rear sight ok.
Any peep that you would recommend with a white muzzle loader?
Tx, What is a 6 o'clock hold?
Thanks again

Lyman 57sme or 57smet is hard to beat.

01880867-9123-4F84-B060-47804D5D6D9F.jpeg

I use a rear peep and a front small fiber optic post/bead

Instead of covering up the bullseye by placing the front post over it, I set the bullseye on “TOP”nof the front post. In other words, you put the top of the front bead at “6 O’Clock position of the bullseye.

That is more precise than covering up the target center. Making that change at the range record my groups at 100 yards from 3-4” to 2-3”

I am 64 and I have to use a set of 1.0 reading glasses to be able to see a clear front sight. Target is a little blurry but not bad.

TX58. Last I checked, the Lyman was $110, if you could find one. Like everything else, back order is the new norm.

I have one of these on all my guns.

I realize they are not field adjustable, but out to 150-200 yards, you don’t really need them to be. At my age and eye situation, that is as good as it gets for me.

But to the posters original question, it might be beneficial.

I have been using peep sights fo close to 20 years. I couldn't use a fixed sight again. If sights are not field adjustable they are worthless to me.
I take a rage on every shot. I set the sight for the shot, and hold dead on. Holding over or holding under is no way to hunt.

Yeah, I know all about that. My Sportsman's has it for $48, while Cabelas has twice as much on the shelf, but for $65!!

lyman globe sight in front with fine crosshair insert - i painted yellow dot in center with fingernail polish. Williams peep in the rear with the aperture removed - making it a "ghost ring" type of view. Can't see close up anymore at 48 years of age. this setup is on cva accura. don't know how White mz differ in setup/mounting options. So much better than fiber optic, post-type setups that come factory on shotguns and muzzleloaders.

I have the 57 SMET also one of my Whites but I also put a Merit adjustable aperture peep on it. I've yet to shoot it but plan to this year. From previously using peeps, the smaller hole you have, the more accurate I was However, small peeps do not work well or at all in low light conditions. Thus, with the merit peep, you can open the aperture for early and late times but then dial it down when light allows.

Thanks for the info. I went to look at some peeps at Sportsman's yesterday and the didn't have any is stock. Wonder how my vision would be looking for them in my old age of 59 before buying one. Need to keep looking. Thanks

Anyone else notice that the internal radius on receiver sights for the Mauser/Springfield/Enfield is larger than the White receiver? You are counting on the screws tightness alone to prevent rocking on line contact between the base and receiver. I built up the base on my Lyman on my White with epoxy bedding.

I was told the Williams Western Sight would not fit the White. Do you have to do anything special or was my info incorrect? Any advice would be appreciated.

I prefer a peep over a notched rear sight. I have Lyman, Williams, and Skinner sights too.

I even put peeps on my .22 rifles and air rifles for "cheap" practice.

I called Lyman to try to order a 57 SMET peep and they said it would be after July. Anyone know where one is for sale?
Williams Precision is another recommended, how bad are they in low light situations? That is the main draw back. Would like to feel good about 200-250 yard shot after practicing this summer.
Thanks again.

There are several older ones listed on eBay right now. Gunbroker is also a place to check. IMO you don’t need target knobs so the SME is what I have. No need to dial in the field for a 200-250 yard shot.

I have a Lyman 57 SMET on order. Not able to get one until June sometime. Thanks for the good feedback from everyone.

I checked with Lyman products yesterday. No peep sights until Maybe August. They are having a hard time getting materials.
I was hoping to practice soon. Can't find any on ebay either. Looking for possible plan B.

I called Williams and they said the CVA, TC, Traditions set would fit my White Super 91 and it did. My gunsmith installed them for me and they work great. Even in low light (depending on what crosshairs you pick) seem to work just fine for me. I smoked a bull last year with mine at 130 yds right at first light.

I checked with Lyman products yesterday. No peep sights until Maybe August. They are having a hard time getting materials.
I was hoping to practice soon. Can't find any on ebay either. Looking for possible plan B.
There are a whole bunch of 57SMEs listed right now on eBay that would work great. Are you holding out for the 57SMET?

I see two complete 57SME that look really old and a lot of use. I would prefer a newer one since my gun is in great condition, and 57SMET preferable. If I found a newer 57SME with just a push button slide, I would probably get it. Thanks for looking for me! I filed down my front sight to a triangle and was going to shoot at 6 o"clock. Thinking about Williams also. Thanks again.

Just got my Lyman SMET peep for my white. Haven't had time to look at it yet. Are they easy to put on or do I need to have a gunsmith help me? Thanks for all who have given me advise.

Might take a look at this new fiberoptic sight. Just ordered one for myself to put on my knight. Not sure about a shire but I think it just has to do with the barrel size/ curvature.

Product No. 676584 will fit the White. I purchased one and it fits fine. Hope I can see better than last year.

I did get Williams Precision fiber optic front sight. I could see good enough to shoot a 10 inch plate at 200 yards with just 10 minutes of legal shooting light. Improved visibility over factory front sight painted white. Have my Lyman 57SMET adjustable peep. Seems to be a pretty good combination for my old eyes. Thanks for the good input from others.

I prob have the original sights that were on a white whitetail. Replaced it with a Williams peep. Pic of what you are looking for?

I actually have the rear
7E5ED962-0B96-48E2-BAAB-56638D4BCB6D.jpeg
898868D8-99E4-4809-848F-DA4341EC7171.jpeg
original sight. It is a fold up/down V sight. But it has 2 screws, no dovetail. I have it folded down and have a rear peep mounted.

Thanks
Last day to hunt, last hour of the hunt. Brother and i snow shoed about a half mile where we had seen some good bulls. Ranged this bull at 385 yards, cut the distance to 275. Couldn't get closer. Waited for 20 minutes for him to come in a clearing. I had my shooting sticks out and ready. I shot about 100 rounds during the summer, from 100-250 yards with my adjustable peep. One shot, he took a couple steps forward, then turned around and went down hill behind a pine tree about 15 feet. It was getting dark in 30 minutes. We didn't know how good the shot was for sure. We decided to come back in the morning with the snowmobiles, which we would need to help get him out. Temperatures were in the single digits. The next morning he was dead, under the pine tree. He went 20 feet. 90 grains pyrodex P 460 no excuse bullet. Found the bullet on opposite side near the hide. Practice and research paid off. Thanks for the help. Some close calls with bigger bulls, during the hunt. Happy with the outcome.
Feeling pretty blessed this Thanksgiving season.
Thanks

Last edited:
Yes,
Marley may have been shooting 95 grains. Same bullet and powder. I know I would have the energy out to 300 yards. 250 was my max range, but 275 down a steep draw with no wind, I thought I could make the shot.
Thanks for your help.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom