White Sulphur Springs

Lhedrick1

Colorado deer and Elk was a bust this year but Dad and I did draw the combo tag for Montana. We were thinking of camping at Gypsy Lake campground and hunting near Boulder Mountain/ Big Camas Creek. Possibly try to hunt a week or so archery in September and go back out in October for rifle.

Anyone have any experience here? Sounds like pretty quiet if you get off the roads but not sure on weather and/quality of elk and deer in that area. Looks gorgeous! Been on Google Earth for a couple days!

I live an hour away in Livingston. I've always hunted south of the interstate, but last year I wanted to explore some new country. I had the exact same idea as you. Spent time on onx looking at the same drainages. I know there is a lot of elk in that country but when I got to the gypsy lake campground I just laughed and never slowed down. This was mid September. The only time I have ever seen more vehicles at a trailhead was in the southern Madison in late November when the elk where piling out of the park. I didn't get out of my truck that morning either. By that evening I was back in one of my spots down south.

Thanks. My Dad and I have been talking with a local biologist and that was one of his suggestions.

The other 2 places we are looking at are Castle Mountain and Thunder Mountain/Little Belts.

We decided we are going to park the motor home in White Sulphur Springs for archery, mid to late September. Try hunting out of Gypsy Lake trail head and tent it for a few days on the Mountain. If no good or too crowded, we might move to Many Pines Campground and hunt up on Thunder Mountain. Try to come back sometime in October with the rifles. Sounds like a good amount of elk but Mule Deer is pretty spotty and low quality. Good whitetail bucks near the alfalfa. My guess is on private land. We shall see!

We hunted thunder mtn area late season a few years ago just looking to fill tags on the way east to hunt deer. There are elk there & some nice bulls during archery season. They push down to the private in November but there were a couple decent 5?s in a bunch we played cat & mouse with to no avail. Deer are scarce but we did kill a giant bodied 4 that was pretty decent. Only buck we saw bigger than a forky but it's thick up there for the most part. Good luck

Thanks for the info. Some one told me they hunted it last year and heard wolves every night. Might explain why there's no deer there.

Spent a few days camping there little over a week ago, country is looking great right now, grass, grass everywhere. Saw A few WT and Mulies running around on the ranch we camped on, bordering the Smith up near Ft. Logan. Highlight was seeing a big boar cinnamon rutting with a sow. Pics did not really come out worth a dang. Caught a few trout in the reservoir I was fishing also, all in all, it was a good few day's and nights in the area.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom