White Tail Deer in Sandias

JFBNORTHERNHUNTER

I was looking on a hunting page on Facebook and saw that someone posted a picture of a White Tail Deer on the east mountains in the Sandia's. Has anyone else seen deer this north other then the northeast part of the state(55B-58)? If so where? I hear some deer have moved into the Rio Rancho Bosque and they seem to be white tail?

I see humanity now as one vast plant, needing for its
highest fulfillment only love, the natural blessings of the
great outdoors, and intelligent crossing and selection.
Luther Burbank

Yes sir that guy who posted the pics is a good son of gun ....And yeah they have finally moved into the Rio Grande corridor....

Born and raised on a big ranch on the east side of the mountain here in Albuquerque. Me and my brother had our first white tail encounter 17 years ago. The numbers are growing. Was on the west side of the Sandia in Jan and saw a small wt buck, and have seen them from Bernardo to bernalillo in the Bosque.

We have them in 53 now also. I think it was elksniper that posted pics last year,they were by the Taos golf coarse.I saw one cross the highway north of Arroyo Hondo last year also. All does never seen a Buck.
Jack

Seems like they are coming in more and more. Do you guys think they will do better than the mule deer? Mule deer numbers are defiantly down. I wonder if the whitetail are just filling in the gaps? Will there always just be a few whitetail here and there, or will they eventually become the prominent species and thrive? They absolutely do better in congested areas, but I wonder if the same factors that are kicking the mule deer?s butts will have the same limiting effect on them? What are your guys thoughts?

I have seen some on the east/border side of the state on farmland & river beds.
Coues WT seem to be farther north every year in the SW.

Cosmic (Jack) is right. They're here in unit 53. Started seeing them in Cerro last summer, have seen them plenty more times this summer. Had a 8 point buck run up my driveway early one morning last month in Cerro. Also seen them back on the Wild Rivers area.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-11-17 AT 12:24PM (MST)[p]I have Hunted Unit 39 for years, it use to be our fall back hunt. I seen and killed deer there that are maybe a cross breed. Big bodies like mule deer but antlers more like white tail and lighter coat color and whiter patch on the chest.I have always wished we had white tails throughout our state it seems they are more hearty against our climate and weather. The Mule deer are starting to make a comeback but with allot fewer numbers then we had thirty-forty years ago.

Luther Burbank

I thought Elksniper posted a picture of a buck and on the west side of the Rio Grande in 50 i may be wrong. Where is Elksniper when we need him, his been MIA?

Luther Burbank

Elk sniper has been busy getting ready for school among other things.. Hear from him soon I suspect. Good man.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom