Whitetail Deer on the Middle Provo River?

B

Bowhntr

I was driving to work the other morning along river road. I had just passed Wilson's Farm when I noticed some deer running through the fields heading to the river bottoms. I swear I saw the white flag like tails of whitetail deer. (Looked like a couple does and fawns) By the time I fished out the binos they were in the trees. Is there any way these could have been whitetail deer or have I been watching way too much outdoor channel lately?

391611-28-2010_106.jpg

Did they look something like this?

I saw one above Bountiful. Had a group of 5 does running away and 1 of them was definately waving that white flag. I think a couple years ago I read a report that said there was an estimated 100-200 whitetails in Utah.

That would be sweet to get a whitetail herd established here in Utah...would take a little hunting pressure off of our struggling muley herd. I cant think of a valid reason why we wouldnt want to introduce a few here and there. I hunt WY,MT, ID,CO,SD and Mule deer and Whitetail coexist successfully in all these states. I am all for it...Go Whitey!

There's been a handful of whitetails in the valley for quite awhile.

The first doe I saw was on the east side of the valley around 10 years ago.

I imagine 99% of them are along the river, but that being said I doubt there's more than a dozen or so in the whole valley. As far as I know, there's never been one killed by a hunter in wasatch county. It'd be pretty cool to get one.

I've see a couple of pictures of dead bucks in Utah that sure have that whitetail look to them.I didn't know they were hanging out up in Heber Valley though. That's what we need to increase the deer population in Utah. Those whitetail breed like rabbits.

It's always an adventure!!!

I remember a few years back somebody got a really nice buck in Logan canyon.

There use to be a nice buck hanging between the midway bridge and deer creek along the river, but I heard he ended up roadkill.

Where I'm starting to see them get a foothold is in southwest Wyoming. I bet within 50-100 years we'll have a bunch.

I was out hunting in southern utah about 5 years ago and I saw a white tail doe. So there are probably more there now.

about 10 years ago I took a friend and his son on a region K deer hunt, his boy ended up killing a nice 8 point along the river by robertson about 4 miles from the Ut border. I seen about 30 or so does and small bucks while scouting in the summer in the same hay fields.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom