Who are you picking?

lostinOregon

Very Active Member
If you drew a tag of a lifetime and had to option to pick the brains of Monster Muley members for mule deer hunting wisdom or advice, who are you choosing? Here are my picks. My picks are based on discussions with them, their success and knowledge about mule deer. I would pick anyone of these guys over the high profile celebrity hunters.

cabuck
ICMDEER
Cosmo8
Leicabucks
rmanwill

Rich

I believe there are a lot of guys who know Mule Deer on here, some are just pure nuts and that’s all they think about, others might not be so open on the forum but would give any advise they could, do to terrain,state,country , unit. There is probably more big Ego in Mule Deer Hunting than anything else I know on this earth. If it was possible I wouldn’t mind sitting around a camp fire with Ted Riggs.

Monster Muleys has a lot of great Hardcore hunters.

I’ve corresponded with a lot of them.
Too many to name just a few.

I’ve actually met and gone on hunts with at least a half a dozen of them.

I currently have a few more hunts planned with MM members in the near future. (Pending draw results)

Everyone on here has something to contribute in their own way.

Thanks All!

I understand the doing it yourself. Maybe I should have asked it this way. Who on MM would you like to sit down and discuss mule deer habits and hunting strategies with?

Rich
It would probably depend on the type of terrain and unit your talking about. Some guys know the desert the best, others above treeline and others the thick oakbrush jungles. If you want to talk to someone that wonders around aimlessly until they run into a buck worth shooting. Then I'll be more than happy talking about wondering around and trying not to get lost.

I would add yourself to the list Rich. We have had numerous conversations, text messages and even shared a couple hunt's. Always great talking hunting and deer hunting with you. Your research on deer units and draw results is top par. Thanks to you and all MM guys that I have talked with, shared and spent time with

I really don't know enough to say who'd I'd pick but I do know one things I'd take any on the list over some celebrity hunter.

I’d go with local experience based on where the tag was for. Knowing mule deer is important and there are many that can give you info on behavior. But knowing the land is essential. I’d much rather have local experience over general info from a mule deer expert. But if you can get local info from a deer expert then you’re on to something!

Lots of knowledgeable killers here... ultimately would come down to where it was. There’s a pride factor in saying you would do it by yourself but at the same time we are all in it together and for a lot of us helping others out means a lot more than doing it ourselves.

Coloradoboy

Last edited:
I'll give you all the info you need right here:

ID, WY, CO, NV- Get high on a ridge with a $7000 spotter. Sit there all day looking over surrounding area.

UT- Pile some apples in front of a trail cam. Doesn't even have to be in your designated unit.

AZ- Put out 54 trail cams on the 6 existing water troughs.

Pretty much, if you know deer live in the mountains, eat apples and drink water, you'll kill a giant. Just browse FB and Instasham.

Boom, roasted.!

I will play, I mostly rely on myself to figure things out but I will never turn down a little help. Some on my list have helped me out in the past and I appreciate their help. If I draw my Colorado deer tags this year I would take advice from either Colorado guys on my list, same with if I draw my Wyoming Antelope tag. I do not know everyone on my list but based on what I have seen on MM over the years here is my list.

Marley (Colorado)
Ridgetops (Utah)
Coloradoboy (Colorado)
Buzz (Wyoming)
Founder (Wyoming)

Local knowledge goes a long way when you are heading into new country, no matter how good of a hunter you are in your familiar stomping grounds. I love exploring new country but I always look forward to my yearly home state general tags.

Oak and Dinkshooter......2 guys that hunt hard, are a lot of fun to hang out with and have a pretty good resume on big mule deer.

I'm smart enough to know I'll never draw that magical license. I've gotten good info from a bunch of folks on MM and elsewhere. Too many to mention but thanks to those who have helped me. Ted Riggs was mentioned, and I'd love to have had a chance spend some time with him. I named my pickup after Ted to try to give myself some good karma. I'd sure hunt with Jason Carter or Adam Bronson as well. And Ryan Hatch knows a bunch and has helped a ton of people. It would be a hoot to hunt with Ryan.

Good thought-provoking question Rich. Even if I didn't draw the license, I'd like to spend some time with Founder and Leica. That is magnificent country they hunt and I hope to get to Western WY more this year.

As has been mentioned, most guys like to hunt a certain ecotype. I'm sure out of my element in the pinon-juniper complex. I don't even try to hunt there. But I feel like I'm a decent hunter in other types of country.

And I forgot. I would drive to Vernal and spend a day looking for the Nomad buck just to hear stories from Elkassassin. I'd like to spend a day with Eel too, but I a not going to Cali to do it.

I 'll take Blank to be camp chef! We will have to spend several days packing all the coolers up to camp though... Probably won't have much time to hunt around all the meals.

Man that’s a tough question....
I’d pick
buckhorn
desperatehills
6chukar
Wiszard
And because I know I would get a lot of laughs... Homer!

You'd pick me because you know I work out and can probably haul out a heavy pack, Jorma?? LOL
I made my selections based off of folks that I relate to their posts, make me laugh, have enjoyed conversations with & think they would be fun to hunt with. I’m more about the camaraderie & enjoying the hunt.
If you could pack out an entire mule deer on your back though that would be a definite bonus. Lol
Truth is there are very few folks on here that I wouldn’t pack out for or sit behind some glass to help them fill a tag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom