Who gardens ?

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
I rototilled three times over the last month after adding our composted chicken manure from our 5 birds . Lots of plants started under grow lights indoors that we have to transplant after freeze date is passed but we planted lots of seeds today.
The Mrs had me buy cattle panels which we are going to support with metal fence posts tgat will make trellis arches for spaghetti and summer squash to climb . After all that and an hour at the gym I'm once again reminded of my age...

To early for seeds in our area but the seeds I have to plant grow fast. Other things have spouted that I got in the garage.

What ya got planted?

To early for seeds in our area but the seeds I have to plant grow fast. Other things have spouted that I got in the garage.

What ya got planted?
Dill, lettuce, beans, sugar snap peas ,beets, spuds. The rest will get planted in about 20-28 days.

We are making cattle panel trellises this year as they are super strong.
20220430_190525.jpg

I planted 10 artichoke plants about a month ago and about 30 strawberry plants in February. Some green strawberries already. A chicken wire lid to keep the deer out. That's it for this year.

P1010331.JPG

I planted 10 artichoke plants about a month ago and about 30 strawberry plants in February. Some green strawberries already. A chicken wire lid to keep the deer out. That's it for this year.

View attachment 75413
Wow, I would so love Artichokes ! Can you grow Avocados?
We added some more Raspberry and also Blueberry bushes. Our Strawberries will be 2nd year so I'm expecting tons of them.
We grow , can, dehydrate and freeze the produce.

Tilled garden twice last weekend. Have 27 tomato plants, 60 pepper plant I take outside in sunlight and garage at nights. Get cucumbers, squash, carrots seeds planted tomorrow after tilling one last time. Also a bunch of onion starts going.

Kids already said they will be using the garden alot more this year.

Wow, I would so love Artichokes ! Can you grow Avocados?
We added some more Raspberry and also Blueberry bushes. Our Strawberries will be 2nd year so I'm expecting tons of them.
We grow , can, dehydrate and freeze the produce.
No avocados, just cool weather crops. Tomatoes if we get lucky with the early varieties. I'm not even going to try this year. Summers seem to get colder every year here.

One big one on the main stalk and 6-8 smaller ones on side shoots per year.
That's more than I thought. If you're successful, it's well worth the effort. We bought four of them last week at $2.50 ea. Stuffed & steamed them. I still have one sitting in the fridge, which I'll prolly devour tonight.

artichokes.JPG

Last year was my first year doing a garden and it was way more enjoyable then I ever thought it would be. So this year I've got 116 pepper plants (19 varieties) under lights in the basement. I planted 120 seed cells and only expected half of them to take. Still need to till and pick up some tomatoes.

Here's my garden from last year. I do the boxes on a drip system. View attachment 75480
I used to have all my trees on a drip system. But, the mice, ground squirrels, rabbits, whatever have taken a liking to the hoses and chew through them for water.

So, a couple years ago I went to a drill bit and some PVC. Close to 1000' of pipe, some paint to help avoid UV ray damage and it works. On this 2.6 acre lot, I've got 7 lilac bushes, 50 or so evergreens of different kinds, some shade trees (my Sycamore trees are huge) and 50 or so fruit trees.

F'n birds took all my plumbs last year.

Something has been eating on my strawberries. I thought it was slugs, or sowbugs, but I put out bait for them so was kind of bewildered. I was watering them two days ago and saw a mouse run out and head for the woods. Bingo! Dirty rats! I set 4 mouse traps out that night. This morning I had one dead mouse, and 1 trap that the peanut butter was eaten but the trap failed to go off. The other two traps had disappeared. Just gone! I looked all over the yard and they're gone. WTF???

I set 3 more mouse traps tonight, plus 2 rat traps, and I tied drag sticks to all of them. I can't wait until morning...haha! I feel like a kid again.

Something has been eating on my strawberries. I thought it was slugs, or sowbugs, but I put out bait for them so was kind of bewildered. I was watering them two days ago and saw a mouse run out and head for the woods. Bingo! Dirty rats! I set 4 mouse traps out that night. This morning I had one dead mouse, and 1 trap that the peanut butter was eaten but the trap failed to go off. The other two traps had disappeared. Just gone! I looked all over the yard and they're gone. WTF???

I set 3 more mouse traps tonight, plus 2 rat traps, and I tied drag sticks to all of them. I can't wait until morning...haha! I feel like a kid again.
Good luck with that Eel. How frustrating !
We just finished transplanting the last of our plants. I hope the Jalapeños and onions really do well, plus the beefsteak tomatoes.
Mice are better than Moose on the garden. ?

Even though the weather has been terrible for a garden this year we've still had a good crop of strawberries even though the flavor is not up to par. I went out to pick a few this morning and found a Boone and Crocket berry hiding. It's a full 3" wide, good for the all time book. We've had a lot of big berries this year, for some reason.

strawberry1.JPG
strawberry2.JPG

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom