Who gets the animal

Aceman

I am sure that this has probably been discussed before but I don't remember reading it on this forum. If a hunter shoots an animal and wounds it and another hunter in the area kills the animal - who gets to keep it. Let's assume that the first hunter was tracking the animal in the snow when the other hunter saw it and brought it down. I am sure there has been times that more than one person has shot at a deer or elk and it did not immediately go down.

LOL Homer!

If & When Proper ETHICS were around!

Like many F'N Years ago!

The Person/Hunter that Shot it First got the Animal!

But in today's GREEDY World them Days are Long Gone!

Most State Rules/Laws today say the Person/Hunter that Finishes Killing the Animal gets to Claim it!

But then Again:

Where;s the American Pride & Ethics gone too?

I've Finished a few off that were Wounded by other Hunters & Proudly Gave them their Deer!

But I Watched a Small Group of TARDS one year open up on a Small Buck,Wounded the Buck & He was Limping My Way!

So I Finished the Job!

The Small Group of TARDS Hauled Ass after they heard me shoot!

I Tagged Myself a Real PISSCUTTER that Year & Was Madder than HELL!

I think it depends on how big it is....

Here’s a true story for you.... I was on a ridge when I shot a buck, the hit was a vital hit and the deer ran down the ridge and jumped into a pond and was thrashing in the water unable to get up and dying. Some other hunters heard the thrashing and quickly went to the water. I could see the hunters walking towards the water. As I was walking down the ridge to head to the water where I could clearly see my buck dying, the group of hunters got to the water before me. They saw me walking down the ridge toward the water but decided it best that little junior shoot my buck in the head to keep it from thrashing around. About a minute later I made it over to the pond and I was informed by dad that little junior was gonna tag this buck as his own. Dad went on to say that little junior finished off the buck and it belonged to him. After a few choice words, I decided that it wasn’t worth it to argue with dad over junior killing his first buck that was pretty well dead. I hope ol’ junior learned some ethics by killing his first deer that was clearly dead but who knows.

Great question - tough situation. At least the animal gets a tag on it. Should be who kills it. Imagine many times the chaser loses faith, leaves the trail, never recovers the shot animal? Sucks when 'back up' is not part of your hunting party.

Technically the final shot but I personally wouldn’t wouldn’t take someone’s animal that I knew they were on. Twice I’ve put wounded animals down and waited for the shooter. It’s all about common decency. If someone is so hard up for an animal that they would pull a stunt like what shootem just described, then I hope they enjoy telling the story.

A case where legalities and ethics can be in conflict. Generally, the law indicates who ever kills the animal must tag the animal. Otherwise one person is filling another's tag. Ethically, the two hunters would have a civil conversation and come to an agreement. If it was clear the animal was lethally wounded by the first hunter, one would hope the second would defer. If the animal was non lethally shot, it may be the other way would be better.

i watched a dude shoot a tiny forkie opening morning . it was 400 yds from me, further than that to him. it limped my way and i did not shoot it- i would not tag it if he refused.... Dude came walkin by 30 min later, i told him front leg was waving ariound and which way it went.... he said "it sure is nice country over here." he hunted over there every day for rest of season... i left after a couple days.

it is a question i asked in my hunter safety course. reply was "don't put it down if you don't want to put your tag on it."

There's a very old Supreme Court case that is one of the basics still taught in law school for US property law today, Pierson v. Post. Basically, the rule revolves around whoever mortally wounds or seizes "control" of the animal first has the right of possession.

But that's all good and academic, and in things definitely go differently on the mountain. My wife's first animal was a bull elk on an LE hunt. We had our 4 month old preemie daughter with us. Even despite all of that after she put a gut shot on a nice ~360" bull and we were racing to intercept him at another meadow, another person we were hunting with who had a tag raced in between us and shot the bull 5x right before it stepped into her shooting lane (we could see him, see the cows, and see the brush where the bull ended up falling over). Needless to say, we were PISSED. The only consolation was that they dropped him in a nasty little hole in the scrub oak (as opposed to letting him walk 20 yards to the meadow) and a massive thunderstorm was just starting to open up. And we were more than happy to leave them to handle that job all by themselves.

My wife ended up several days later shooting a nice bull, but it was nowhere near as big as the first one she hit and she's still pretty sore about that experience 7 years later.

Well back when I was 12 and took hunter safety it was whoever drew blood first.

Good subject here. So a few years ago I was sitting on my leased land hunting whitetails. 4 people came in trespassing. I was waiting on a nice whitey to come out of some cover.

well do you screw up your own hunt and go talk to these people or wait it out cause I know a buck is in some cover waiting to appear???????

so I wait. Next thing I know is this younger girl has her gun on her dads shoulder and ka-boom. The buck I was waiting for came out limping and he stopped. so I shoot and drop him dead.

These people start running for the deer. I get over and they start yelling at me for shooting their buck. I kept my cool and explained they are trespassing on my lease (also my dads lease). well the girl blew the balls off the deer and I hit the deer in the boiler house. they went one how she made a great shot. my dad comes over and starts asking what is going on.

well the screaming started. they felt they did nothing wrong. turned out they even trespassed on the neighbors land. so after all the yelling my dad left at this: told the girl that she needs to hunt with a better example and it isn't her fault and she can keep the deer.

Here is the picture
Resized_20200805_122209.jpeg

In Utah, 10 years ago, this happened to me. I heard a shot in the bottom of a canyon next to where I was at. At the time I was in the canyon bottom next to that canyon. About a 1/2 hour later I was hiking up and over into another canyon, away from where I had heard the shot. As I was looking around I saw a group of hunters on quads and they were looking my way. One of the hunters yelled at me that there was a buck just in front of me. (nice guy). The buck started running towards those guys. I held off shooting for safety reasons and all of a sudden turned and ran straight at me. At 20 yards or so I slammed the buck in the front shoulder and down he went. The guys came up to see the buck, it was a real nice one with 26 inch spread. The one guy started helping me field dress it when we saw a red mark right in front of his peepee. It Looked like a graze. It really never penetrated his body. Upon finishing cleaning the animal they were going to give me a ride back to my quad when this guy walked up and said the deer was his. He had been following it was awhile. We all looked at each other, like WTF. Thanks for the guys that I was with they told the guy to go packing. The deer was never hurt enough to stop it. So I believe it was mine plus tag was already on it!

On a busy opening day of antelope season in Wyoming one of the guys in my group took a shot at a buck. He knocked it over, it was hit in the rear leg, the buck jumped up and ran over a ridge. A few shots later and we get a radio call that another guy in our party had a buck run right up to him. He shot it in the chest and it fell straight down.

Standing over the buck a father and son approached him. Seeing the lower leg wound my friend asked the boy if he had shot the buck. He had shot at the buck and this is how the conversation went.

Friend: I shot the buck in the chest and watch him fall.
Boy: I shot twice but I don't know if I hit him
Friend: What do you think we should do?
Boy: I don't know
Friend: wanna play rock paper scissors for him?
Boy: what's rock paper scissors?
Friend: I'll teach ya.

After a quick lesson, the boy lost two in a row. At this point my friend was hoping the boy would win.

Boy: Oh man, this sucks. I just want to go home!
Friend: It's OK, you can keep the buck.
Father: Absolutely not! You have been more than fair.
I don't think he hit him anyway (whispering)

I hope that boy got a buck later and I always admired how my friend handled it. If only more disputes could be settled with rock paper scissors.

I’ve had multiple animals shot by other hunters after I hit them first.

the first experience was back in 2011 on the archery hunt. It was Monday evening, day 3. I spotted a group of bucks feed out into a little draw from thick cover. There was 1 good buck, 170” 4x4. From past experience I knew there was a very good chance these deer would feed there all night and as soon as the sun hit them the next morning, they would cross a saddle near by and head towards the shade in the next canyon over. I got up early and was in position right as it started getting light. Sure enough, 20 minutes later, here comes 3 of the bucks in the group, walking down the anticipated trail, crossing 40 yards infront of me. I waited. Then here comes 2 more, same exact trail. Then out of nowhere, the bigger buck pops up 30 yards further below the trail. I set my sight, waited for him to stop and I released. He was quartered away from me slightly, the arrow hit mid body, dead center. He jumped, kicked and took off, SPRAYING blood. I watched him cover about 150 yards, straight down hill in about 4 bounds. He gets to the nearest tree, stops, and lays down in a bed. I know this deer is dead. I just need to give him the recommended 30 minutes, just to be sure. His buddies come over by him and stand there wondering WTF. 10 minutes later, one snorts and they all take off back up hill towards me. Now I’m wondering WTF. As I sat there watching, I notice some dude skyline himself on a finger ridge, not 30 yards from my deer. As soon as I get my binos on him, I see him draw back his bow and shoot. He stands there looking at the deer, now he’s wondering WTF. I grab all my crap, and take off running down to the deer. We both get there about the same time. There’s this buck, laying in a giant pool of blood, entrance mid ribs, exit behind opposite shoulder, who now has an arrow stuck in his neck as well. Just an entrance, no exit. Hardly any blood coming from that wound. instantly he gets fired up that I’m anywhere near this deer. I start out nice and calm, but quickly we are both exchanging F bombs at each other. I would have loved to be on the other side of the canyon and hear all this go down. That had to be something to witness ? He was shooting a 4 blade broadhead of some kind, I had a 3 blade expandable. No question on who’s holes belonged to who. He tried to tell me he hit that buck the night before and was trailing it. I asked to see his blood trail and he started yelling more suggestive comments on what to do with myself. It was very obvious that when his arrow hit it, that deer was dead and the heart wasn’t pumping anymore, he had already bled out. I Told him I have a blood trail, all the way up to the saddle and I’d be happy to show him (keep in mind, there’s no cell service here and I didn’t have a phone to record this or I would have). At that point he says to me “do you have a firearm on you?” I replied with a ‘no’. He says “well I do. And this is my deer. And if you want to challenge that anymore, it better be worth dying for.” I just grabbed my chit, turned and left. that was a hard one for me to swallow. That was by far my biggest deer to that point. I shot a consolation prize 145” 4x4 the next day. It was one of the deer that was in that same group. It still burns me to even think about it.

the next one was in 2015, archery hunting again ?, for elk. I passed a guy and his kid hiking up a popular trail about an hour before light, on my dirtbike. I pass people hiking all the time and rarely see them go as far as I do on my bike. We waved and that was it. I get to my glassing point and quickly realized I had accidentally walking right into a herd of cow elk feeding in the sage. Trying to hold out for a spike I thought about passing for about .3 seconds, but In doing so, my muscle memory had already take over and an arrow was knocked and was starting to draw my bow. I’ll admit, I don’t miss the heart shot at 15 yards very often, but for some reason I shot about 5” higher than I wanted to hit. Still lethal, but I knew she would travel some before expiring. She took off, headed down hill back towards my bike. The perfect direction. After 15 minutes, I took up the trail. Blood everywhere, very obvious to see. I’m color blind so seeing blood can get challenging some times, but this one I could run down. As I got into some aspens, I can hear people talking ahead of me. From previous experiences, I knew this wasn’t good for my team. I start going towards them, and wouldn’t you know it, here’s this guy and kid from earlier, standing over a dead cow. That has now 2 arrow holes through her. The dad you could tell didn’t want to be confrontational about about it, or didn’t know how to be. The kid seem to know more about the ethics of the scenario than the dad did. The kid sat there silent as we discussed the events of the morning. His story was they were walking through the trees and this elk ran by them and stopped, the kid shot it and it fell over. Since there was an entrance and an exit x2 on her, I had to believe his story. He claims he didn’t see blood on her, that I don’t believe. There was bright red blood all over her side and legs. Anyways, the dad finally says “it’s his first elk, and you’ll ruin bowhunting for him forever if you decide you need to take it. You don’t want that on you, do you?” I looked at the kid and said “you see this situation? I’d hope you take my example and learn from it, more than you do your dads right now. Congrats on the elk.” and walked off. It died 100 yards from my bike. That is the part that sucked the most since I killed a spike 3 days later in a hole that was 2.5 miles from my bike

I’ve talked to many fish cops about this scenario. They’ve all said in Utah, the first guy to cut their tag and put it on the animal is taking ownership of it. There’s nothing that can be done about it after that’s taken place. It’s not fun. But if you hunt long enough on public lands, I’d imagine many hunters will find themselves in this kind of situation at some point.

Ha! Great thread! Love the stories!

Here’s mine:

Dad was hunting elk. He hears shots fired, 12 to be exact! He’s standing at edge of clearing looking In direction of war zone!

bull comes trotting into clearing. No shots fired at the time of sighting.

Dad pulls down on it. 327 yard off hand shot and hits it in the head with first shot. Bull drops.

Dad starts over to the elk and another hunter comes running down to the bull!

They meet at the bull at the same time. Hunter says it’s his. That he had been shooting at it and hit it several times.

Dad says look it over. Find a hole in it other than the head shot and its yours!

the guy looks it over and says he cannot find a hole in it. No blood trail either!

Dad says, tell you what, you can have the elk since it was the one you said you were shooting at.

Hunter stands quiet for a minute and then says, no, the elk is yours and turns around and leaves!

I heard the war zone over the hill and headed that way. By the time I got to my dad the hunter was gone!

Dad told me the story and then we started pulling the hide off of it. That is when we discovered all the bullet holes?

This guy was by himself and shot this elk 5 miles from a road. Since my dad finished it off with a gruesome shot to the head and being in that far, I think the guy had second thoughts!

Unbelievable to shoot 12 times at an animal that could not have been more than 200 yards! I hope that hunter stopped hunting after that and took up basket weaving as a replacement hobby!?
No worries on our part! We took care of it and ate good for a year!

Last edited:
I was hunting Modoc Co., CA back in the 1970's and heard a shot above me. Then I hear a deer running towards me. This big 4X4 falls down just about 75 yards from me, obviously in his final moments of life.

Then I hear two shots from down below me that killed the already dead deer. WTF?

These two Mexicans from below me arrive at the deer and start to tag it. The original shooter arrives and I tell him what I saw, so he goes over and tries to talk to the two Mexicans. The Mexicans start speaking in Spanish like they don't understand and start gutting the buck, pretty well ignoring us.

After about 10 minutes he gave up and let the Mexicans have it. I don't know what you do in that situation.

Dang, these stories have my blood boiling a bit. I have not yet had this kind of encounter, but I am sure its coming. Hard to say how I'd react, besides being pissed. I think it would be tough when a young hunter is involved, though.

Ha! Great thread! Love the stories!

Here’s mine:

Dad was hunting elk. He hears shots fired, 12 to be exact! He’s standing at edge of clearing looking In direction of war zone!

bull comes trotting into clearing. No shots fired at the time of sighting.

Dad pulls down on it. 327 yard off hand shot and hits it in the head with first shot. Bull drops.

Dad starts over to the elk and another hunter comes running down to the bull!

They meet at the bull at the same time. Hunter says it’s his. That he had been shooting at it and hit it several times.

Dad says look it over. Find a hole in it other than the head shot and its yours!

the guy looks it over and says he cannot find a hole in it. No blood trail either!

Dad says, tell you what, you can have the elk since it was the one you said you were shooting at.

Hunter stands quiet for a minute and then says, no, the elk is yours and turns around and leaves!

I heard the war zone over the hill and headed that way. By the time I got to my dad the hunter was gone!

Dad told me the story and then we started pulling the hide off of it. That is when we discovered all the bullet holes?

This guy was by himself and shot this elk 5 miles from a road. Since my dad finished it off with a gruesome shot to the head and being in that far, I think the guy had second thoughts!

Unbelievable to shoot 12 times at an animal that could not have been more than 200 yards! I hope that hunter stopped hunting after that and took up basket weaving as a replacement hobby!?
No worries on our part! We took care of it and ate good for a year!

He must have been shooting a 6.5! Lmmfao

Almost had this happen to me once.

This was the first time where I'd be doing the shooting instead of just tagging along. I was 15 years old and it was 94. I was with my cousin and father. We started hiking fairly early as the older bucks tend to head up the mountain when the orange cavalry arrives.

We're about half way up this steep mountain when it gets first light so we start glassing and within 5-10 minutes my father blurts out, there's a buck! He's about 250 yards straight across from us.

My cousin and me find the buck, pull up and start crackin off shots like it's WW3. We both had a severe case of buck fever so of course we both missed him clean after 10+ shots.

Well by this time the buck decides he doesn't want to stick around so he takes off on a dead run downhill and out of sight, which now surprises me that he would head downhill instead of uphill. I decided in a split second that this buck wasn't going to get away from me so I take off running after him.

After running about 300 yards I notice some movement out of the corner of my eye so I turn and look and see the buck about 200 yards downhill running, making a half circle, this time heading back up the mountain.

I pull up my rifle and see him in my scope and fire off a round and it hits him sending him sliding down the snow and piling up under an aspen tree. I hurry and make my way down there and he lifts up his head to look at me so I finish him off. I then started yelling to my father and cousin that I got him.

They show up about 10 minutes later and as we're standing there admiring him because he was a decent 4 point some old guy on a horse above us appears about 150 yards away and starts angrily shouting, "that's my buck! that's my buck!" Being young I had no idea what the hell he was talking about because I knew he didn't even shoot at the buck, it was only my cousin and I shooting.

Well anyway my father shouts back at him, "shut up, he's not your buck and you didn't kill him."

After them going at it for a bit the guy on the horse finally moseys off and that was that.

The only thing I can think of is that the guy may have been watching that buck for a while or the night before and was pissed we got it first.

My cousin ended up killing a decent two point later in the day. This was right after the two back to back horrible winters Utah had. We definitely got lucky that day.

Had a deer stolen out my camp in North Calf in the early 90's. I finally found/saw his head at the local meat locker, asked the butcher who had brought it in he told it was a local guy. I ask the guy to call the warden and the guy who brought it in. The guy tells this huge story how he killed and where for 20 minutes to GW. I just told the GW that he will find a .50 piece the year on it in his mouth that I put there when I killed it.
The thief started to tell GW how he had then found the deer abandoned.
Never did find out if he got charged or not.
But I did get my deer back.

If you are an ethical hunter it should be a non-event.
Just sayin...??

It's a non-event only if you roll over every time! Just sayin'.

I have some stories from the past 5+ decades of big game hunting but my attention span won't allow me to type them.

Suffice to say, some turned out well and others not so much but it's part of the deal.

It WILL happen if a guy hunts long enough. Period.

Zeke

It's a non-event only if you roll over every time! Just sayin'.

I have some stories from the past 5+ decades of big game hunting but my attention span won't allow me to type them.

Suffice to say, some turned out well and others not so much but it's part of the deal.

It WILL happen if a guy hunts long enough. Period.

Zeke
Key word “should”
I’ve been in a few bloody ugly situations over the years. the new normal

In 2012, my brother drew a Henry’s cow bison tag with 1 point. He was 17. Opening night, I was glassing a clearing and watched a herd of 5 cows move out of the cedars and start feeding. We take off in the truck, get close and cover the rest of the distance on foot. At 100 yards, he sets up for the shot. There’s 10 minutes left of shooting light. A cow turns broadside and he takes the shot. She jumps, but stays standing looking around trying to figure out what just happened. I knew she was hit great, I watched the impact. But told him to shoot again. He does so, and she takes off at a slow jog. The minute she starts moving after the 2nd shot, I hear multiple shots from the distance. Like 7-8 in a matter of 30 seconds. She tips over less than 50 yards from where she was originally hit. At that point the shots stop. I tell my brother come on, we need to get to her first. We get to her, I instantly cut his tag and tape it on her horns. About that time, a father and 2 kids show up, asking what we are doing with their bison. (The other 4 bison are still standing on the hill, 200 yards away watching us). I tell the dad very firmly, this is NOT their bison. It was my brothers, there’s 2 shots behind her shoulder, and exits in the same area on the opposite side. We shot from 100 yards, laying down from bipods, with a .30-378. He didn’t miss. There’s blood from where she lays to where she was standing. He then tried to tell me he shot from a hill 600+ yards away and he’s positive that his kid hit it. I then said, you’re not getting this animal, if you want to throw down over it, let’s go. He then tells me to get ducked and tells his kid to shoot one of the others standing there on the hill. This kid then proceeds to shoot about 3’ to the left, 4 times, never touching an animal, and then they take off. The father as they walk off, told me I hope I can live with myself ??

My favorite story is the time I shot a swan on the 1A dike a bear river. He folds up and falls to my left, almost hitting another hunter, who never fired his gun at it. He takes 3 steps, picks it up and starts walking back to his truck ? ok, guess I’ll shoot another.

I watched an actual fist fight go down over a banded hen gadwall on Center dike at FB one morning when I was 13. That was so fun to watch. hahahahaha

I have been involved with, or heard about, a half dozen of these types of events over the past 50 years. The one I will share is one that I heard our local game warden tell as it was told to him by the father in the event.

A father and son were on the son's first elk hunt in the Bighorns west of Buffalo. They had hiked to the edge of a small meadow and sat down to let it get light. Just at shooting time they noticed movement at the edge of the timber. As it got lighter they saw a rag horn bull wander to the middle of the meadow.

The 13 or 14 year old son gets into position and shoots, hitting the bull, but it did not drop. The son shoots again and the bull is now in that stiff legged, dead on his feet stance, waiting to drop over. Just at that instant a shot comes from the other side of the meadow and the elk drops.

Two guys in their late 50's early 60's come leading their horses out of the timber. They say they dropped the elk so it belongs to them. They tell the father, "Everybody knows the rule in Wyoming is the person that drops the animal is the one it belongs to."

The father tells them it is his son's first elk hunt and he had hit the bull first, etc. It did no good, the horse hunters tell him it is their elk and they do not want to argue about it.

One of the horse hunters was, at the time, a building contractor in our town. He had killed many elk in his hunting days, so it was not like it was his first elk.

The father and son left the area and later the son told his dad he was not sure he wanted to hunt elk, or anything else, if that is how it was going to be.

There are a lot of jackasses in this world and I just told you about one of the biggest, a 60 year old guy that would take an elk from a kid. I don't need to say any more!

ClearCreek

Man ClearCreek! That is the lowest of lows scumbag!

I don’t care who you are but stealing from a child is pretty dang low!

Here’s another one for you all:

My dad decided to take his three sons for a morning hunt above our house.

I was 8 yrs old at the time.

we hike not too far up a ridge on opening day of rifle deer hunt here in Utardia!

We stop on a ledge for a break and to glass for a bit.

Dad see’s a buck clear across the canyon.

I am guessing the shot to be between 400-500 yards. (This happened 35 years ago. Didn’t have a range finder lol)

Dad shoots three times at buck and drops it on third shot!

we are all celebrating when out of nowhere, two hunters come out of cliffs above and scramble down through the loose rock!

They claim the deer as theirs with their tag and proceed to field dress it!

My dad is madder than a wet cat!

But due to the steepness of terrain and having three young kids, he opts out of the confrontation!

So we walk over the hill to cool off and watch another drainage while we eat some snacks.

While we were eating, warming up in the morning sun, a shot rang out and a bullet kicks up the dirt two feet from my 10 yr old brother!

Before I know what’s going on, my dad has all three of us under his arms dragging us to a safe place!

We think the hunter got pissed that we decided to eat snacks on the hillside he was watching so he sent a message to us!

Because of that experience, it took me into my thirties before I ever attempted the Utard rifle deer hunt! Even after I tried it, I still had flashbacks from when I was a kid!

And to this day, I refuse to take my kids into the Utard War Zone! SCREW THAT! I love em too much to risk a repeat!

It should be the first shooter under the doctrine of acquisition by capture. See Pierson v. Post. There are a couple reasons for this:

First, the first shooter obtains a property interest in the animal when it is shot and they have a duty to finish the job. To finish the job you have to continue the pursuit less you commit the offense of wanton waste. That in turn leads to the second reason.

Pretend the animal crosses onto private property. You still have an interest in, and obligation to, the animal. Though you have to get permission from the property owner, that doesn't diminish or obviate your interest in the animal. Rather, it requires an extra effort to capture the animal.

This, first shooter acquires the superior interest in the animal. First in time, first in right.

A woman shot a nice buck and it drops. She walks over to it and remembers that the first thing you do is put your tag on it. Right after she does, it rouses and jumps up and runs off out of sight. She hears a shot and as she follows the bucks trail she sees another hunter standing over her buck. She says: “Sir, that is my buck”. He replies that he shot the buck and it was his. She then says: “Look at his antlers and you will see my tag”. He does and is mystified. In a few moments he replies: “Lady, if you can run that fast, he is yours!”

About 6 years ago I am hunting a basin in Wyoming looking for some of the big boys I had scouted. I hear a shot right after first light a ways off. About 2 hours later a buck stepped out below me and I drop it. As I get to the buck a guy emerges from the hellish bottom. He was blood trailing the buck I shot. I roiled the deer over and there is a bullet hole far back low guts that obviously is not mine. The guy is sweating profusely and asked if he could at least take a picture with the buck (was a mid 180’s gross deer). He told me the story of making a bad shot and following the blood trail all through that thick bottom. When he came up it was clear the buck was the biggest he had ever been that close to. I told him the buck was all his and I helped him debone it and take pictures. I walked away feeling better without the buck. Two days later I took a 191 gross in the same basin. Couldn’t have worked out better but It was the right thing to do even I didn’t fill my tag.

About 6 years ago I am hunting a basin in Wyoming looking for some of the big boys I had scouted. I hear a shot right after first light a ways off. About 2 hours later a buck stepped out below me and I drop it. As I get to the buck a guy emerges from the hellish bottom. He was blood trailing the buck I shot. I roiled the deer over and there is a bullet hole far back low guts that obviously is not mine. The guy is sweating profusely and asked if he could at least take a picture with the buck (was a mid 180’s gross deer). He told me the story of making a bad shot and following the blood trail all through that thick bottom. When he came up it was clear the buck was the biggest he had ever been that close to. I told him the buck was all his and I helped him debone it and take pictures. I walked away feeling better without the buck. Two days later I took a 191 gross in the same basin. Couldn’t have worked out better but It was the right thing to do even I didn’t fill my tag.

Hello Pinlard,
Yours is the type of story that gives me hope! Kharma works both ways! Kudos to you for taking the high road.

Elkchaser

Last edited:
Here's my story. This was a archery early elk hunt spike or cow. I'd been doing this hunt probably for 20+ years. We new where the elk would head from opening day pressure. We had made ground blinds that we had used for years. Well I'd been sitting since first light and about 10:30 I could hear elk coming my way. Here comes a string of about 60 elk . This has always been a meat hunt so I would shoot what ever presented a good shot. Here they come single file slowing to a walk now 30 yards away. Finally a cow stops broadside and I sent a arrow right through the lungs. She bolts and goes 30 yards and tips over. I head down and start to gut her as it was already getting hot out. While in the process I see two guys standing 100 yards away wacthing me. I finish up and am pulling my tag out to notch it and here they come. Two guys mid thirties blurting out that's our elk. I explained that there's my stand I where I shot it from and watched it drop. They told me they had been tracking that elk for a couple miles and had shot at the herd while they were running. The one guy dropped his gear and got right in my face. We proceeded to have a screaming match and I told him to pack his s**t and beat it. Just them his partner told me to pack it and pulled his bow up on me. I said fine if you feel good about stealing another mans elk you can have it. As I was walking off I said tell you old man he did a good job raising you to steal from others. It was on again for another five minutes. I headed for my buddies stand to tell him what went down. We headed back and now they had a crew dragging the elk off. I ended up still hunting some timber patches for a couple of hours to cool off. I went back to my stand and they had stolen everything I had left there. I went back to camp and packed up and have never been back. I watched that place go from seeing 3-4 hunters in a week to 30-40 in a day. It just turned into a zoo. Not my style.

I guess I have been lucky to have never had to experience this. For me it would depend on how the other hunter came at me. I would really not want to tag a buck someone else has hit 1st and came by me later. If he was a dick I would battle it out with him. I don't like a bully. If he/she was cool most likely it is there's to keep. If I hit it good and someone finished it off. It would be mine.

I worked at a butcher shop in college, we had plenty of blades trashed by old bullets and broad heads. Should the hunter go and try and find out whose broad head that was from a previous season? Come on man, whoever puts the animal down is the only way to do it.

That being said my dad shot a nice mule deer that was gut shot years ago, we found the hunter ( only other guy around) and gave him the buck. He said it belonged to my dad as he had deemed it loss and was hoping to find crows in a few days. Dad convinced him to take it and everyone shared beers together.

I was unknowingly on the other side of many of these stories. I was on the Wasatch Front many years ago archery hunting deer and we found a decent 4x5 near the end of the hunt. It was in a area I knew well. After glassing the buck for a while we made a plan after he moved into the timber. There was snow on the ground on the north face and no snow on the south face. My friends was going to track him into the timber and try to get a shot. I was setting up on a trail I knew the deer used for and escape route. My friends end up bumping him with on shot opportunity and five minutes later the deer was on the trail heading to me. I put one in the 10 ring and watched him bed still within range. I have never been one to hold my arrows or bullets if the animal is still alive so I sent a few more arrows and watch the deer die. One friend headed back towards the road and me and my other friend started the field care. We finish that and started dragging the deer when my other friend showed back up and said that he had ran into another hunter that claimed that we had seen him and cut him off. We did not know he was around that deer. He also claimed that he had hit the deer. After further inspection the deer was hit about three inch into his hind quarter passing though one side. Superficial wound from a very poor shot. Anyway sometimes what we think other hunters are doing on purpose is not always the case. Many of the stories above are people knowingly doing something wrong. Not sure why other people find it so rewarding to put their tag on someone else’s animal. There is no fun stories to tell about that kind of hunt. I almost had a bad situation when I was 15 years old on my first deer but after some evaluation of shot angle, how any holes were in the animal and were the blood trail started and ended the two gentlemen said nice shot kid and walked away. My shot was 125 yards at a walking deer and their six plus shots were well over 500 yards back before range finders and that was still a difficult shot to make on a moving deer. I was by my self and they could have easily bullied that deer from me if they want too but that would have got ugly once my dad would have caught wind of it as he was only about a quarter of a mile from me on the back side of the ridge I was hunting. My dad has never been one to hold him mouth. I try to hunt as far away from people as I can but even with my efforts there is always someone around somewhere.

i think many guys out there who don’t have much experience, believe any hit on an animal is fatal. Which is not even close to the truth. I’ve shot several animals that had old wounds on them. My wife shot a cow elk last January that appeared to have a broken leg. She was yards off the fence line of the private land the permit was valid for. After watching her, we knew she was very badly hurt and was going to die from starvation or exposure. We contacted the local fish and game officer and explained the situation. He told us that there would be no issues with harvesting her, just to make sure we documented things as best we could. Once we got up to her, we saw that in addition to her broke leg, that was very infected, she had an old bullet wound on her front shoulder that was also very infected. This wasn’t a fresh wound, it looked to be several months old. The leg break was fresher. So according to some of your points of view, did that animal not belong to us? What is the time window a hunter has to follow up on a wounded animal? Minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or years?

Anyways, my point is just cuz you are blood trailing an animal, that trail won’t always lead to a dead animal. So for some of these guys to show up and claim it as theirs after someone else made a shot they failed to make themselves in the first place is ridiculous. I appreciate the effort they are making to recover it, but just cuz you made the first shot, doesn’t mean it’s your animal. On the other end of the spectrum I’ve seen guys wound deer that were no doubt going to die from their injuries, but those guys turn and walk the other way when they see how far that deer is going to go and the hole it’s headed for.

as far as being shot at by unsafe hunters, that is never acceptable. Return fire usually gets their attention

About 5 years ago I shot a decent buck on opening morning. Deer came by and never acted like he was hit. Was getting ready to gut the deer when an Amish guy came by and said he had shot that deer earlier. Sure enough it had been shot low and back in the paunch. Not a drop of blood left by the deer and I shot him a good 400 yards from the other guy. Guy only came looking after I shot. I gave hime the deer but not sure it should ave gone to him.

....about 20 years ago in Nevada I crept out to the edge of a rock outcropping overlooking a sage flat about 500 yards by 500 yards......and started glassing...right smack in the middle was a huge 4x5 looking straight ahead and to my right...maybe 250 yards away....

I got prone on that rock and shot...and shot...and shot......he never flinched.

I bushwacked my way half way to him and caught the smell......he had been dead at least a week and was on his knees but supported by the sage brush......I would have gladly let the first blood guy have him.

As far as I know he is still there.....

Did You Check to see if You Had Buck Fever Homer?:D

Did You Hit Him?

....about 20 years ago in Nevada I crept out to the edge of a rock outcropping overlooking a sage flat about 500 yards by 500 yards......and started glassing...right smack in the middle was a huge 4x5 looking straight ahead and to my right...maybe 250 yards away....

I got prone on that rock and shot...and shot...and shot......he never flinched.

I bushwacked my way half way to him and caught the smell......he had been dead at least a week and was on his knees but supported by the sage brush......I would have gladly let the first blood guy have him.

As far as I know he is still there.....

I have no idea if I hit him bess.....he was too ooozy to check close....and I readdded and carried three and it was more like 32 years ago.....lol

I guess I have been lucky to have never had to experience this. For me it would depend on how the other hunter came at me. I would really not want to tag a buck someone else has hit 1st and came by me later. If he was a dick I would battle it out with him. I don't like a bully. If he/she was cool most likely it is there's to keep. If I hit it good and someone finished it off. It would be mine.

I’m with you, treed. My reaction totally depends on the attitude of the other person. I’m diplomatic as can be but I can also go 0-60 in three seconds flat if approached in a dick way.

If it’s not fatal that rationale wouldn’t work with most.
Those "Most" care more about antlers than sportsmanship . It obviously depends on the the situation and an ability to have nuanced thought. If a guy blew the back leg off a deer and you shoot it later that day or the next while tracking. It's first bloods deer. If the deer survives and is shot days or weeks later the first shot isn't a consideration. In my neck of the woods, once a animal is hit...It is the original shooter's tag until the trail is given up on by that hunter. One of my uncle's shot a 160 class Whitetail with his muzzleloader. The buck ran a few hundred yards and laid down to die. Another hunter walked up and shot it in its bed and put his tag on it. To this day, it's hanging in the guy's living room. What a trophy hahaha

As the story started out, he was hunting in the snow. If the first hunting was blood tracking the animal and another hunter finished it off I say the first hunter should get the animal

joe

True story. Years ago combined season in Northern Colorado. My Dad shoots a deer, head shot, as it is crossing a large open park. I think it was luck but who knows. A few hours later after the deer is removed a cow elk crosses the park. Shots ring out from both sides of the park. The dead cow has 2 obvious entry holes on the left, none from the opposite side. It was conclusive evidence however the fella that had shot from the opposite side was not buying it and argued in spite of the obvious penetrations. Another fella arrives on the scene and congratulates my Dad on shooting a deer and an elk that morning. The other shooter exclaims "You were the one that shot the deer?!" then he turns and leaves. The other fella was not at all convinced by the obvious holes in the animal but he was totally convinced that my Dad was some kind of marksman because he had witnessed the shot on the deer earlier.

Years ago I was walking with a buddy and a blacktail buck jumped up in front of us. We both shot and it went down. It only had one hole in it and when I saw how small the buck was I insisted I missed. He also insisted he missed. You tag it, no you tag it.

Did it end up CAMP MEAT Eel?:D

PISSCUTTER Fever?

Years ago I was walking with a buddy and a blacktail buck jumped up in front of us. We both shot and it went down. It only had one hole in it and when I saw how small the buck was I insisted I missed. He also insisted he missed. You tag it, no you tag it.

Time to find the projectile and weigh it lol

Years ago. I guess that how we start these stories. ? Hunting on the big rock candy mountain in central Utah. I shot a buck up on the mountain. While waiting for my hunting partner to get there after the shot. I went ahead and notched my tag and put it on the bucks antler. Just as my partner showed up. The buck jumped up and ran over the top of the mountain and over the other side. We took off running. Before I got to the top I heard a shot. I got to the top and ran down the other side and see this guy walking up to my buck. I see this guy and said hey that’s my buck. He says what are you talking about I just shot this buck. I said look my tag is on his antler. He looks down and see’s my tag. He starts to mumble and says. Hell if your going to chase down these bucks and tag them. You can have him and he walked away.

Feel like I lost a best friend over a situation similar to many of yours. Horse backed into the Wyoming mountains on a hunt with a friend his dad and brother. Hunted for 4 days. Saw a lot of deer. Nothing huge but some decent ones. The night before we were to leave we watched two of the better bucks we’d seen come over a ridge towards us right at dark. We planned to hunt them on our way out the next day. Woke up and went after them. Jumped them in the bottom of a canyon. His brother shot twice at the first one as it high tailed over the top off he ridge. Not proud of it but I shot 4 times at the second one. 3 while running and for some reason after all the shooting and at 465 yds the deer stopped and i shot and Clearly hit him and called out that I did. So it’s clear my friends dad was standing behind me while we were shooting. Friend proceeds to shoot 2 times at the deer Running away. And I ended up taking one last shot. Deer went down. He’d been hit 3 times. Once in the back leg. I’m assuming that’s why he stopped. Once in the boiler room( I believe this is the one I called out because of the deers reaction to being hit was to jump and kick.And once in the back of the head. I assume this was one of the last prayer shots of mine or my friends at 550 yds. To me it was no question. I had hit him no question and called it out. But my friend couldn’t get past how good he felt when he pulled the trigger at the running deer 550 yds away. After honesty talking about it for 3 plus hours. I was told by my friend and his dad that the only fair way was to flip a coin. I called and won the coin toss. Friendship was never the same. Feel like i lost a good friend over a stupid 180” buck. Learned a lot from that one.

another good story. Sorry if the person that is in this story is member of mm or reads this.
Here we go....

opening Day Utah archery season. In my tree stand and here comes a little two point limping his way to me. Watched him come from 400 yd. Passed me at 30 yds and started started grazing at 40 yds. Decided I wasn’t going to watch him walk off wounded. Made a perfect shot. He ran down into a gully with Stream in it. I Waited a little while and then climbed down the tree. Met up with my brother in-law and we started tracking him. While tracking we heard some guy whooping and hollering. Walked up to him. Deer was tagged already. Needless to say he thought he smoked the deer at first light With his long bow when it was crossing the rd. We congratulated him and walked away I couldn’t stop smiling and my brother in law asked why.........i said how mad will that guy be when he skins that deer And sees the marks from a four blade broad head and his long bow broadheads were only 2 bladers. Had a good laugh. The guy was pretty happy and I didn’t want to burst his bubble that he had actually shot the deer in the ankle. Glad to let him tag it.

I’d like to say that the person that will be happiest with the animal should tag it or get it. But it isn’t always that easy. I try really hard not to get in these situations. But I think ultimately if people aren’t selfish or greedy that together you could piece each situation together and really figure out who the animal goes to.

Had this happen to me in 2009 me and a buddy of mine headed up the mountain around 3:30 in the afternoon and when we got to our hunting spot. we caught the elk heading to water so we closed the distance a foot.
Unfortunately another vehicle had seen them and the 4 barrels kicked in on this older Chevy pickup and they where cooking down the dirt road right towards us so we got set up but didn’t have a shot the yahoos jumped out of the truck and started shooting and the elk took off running right at them but they where below a little hill and we could hear them screaming where did they go so they started running at the elk totally in the wrong direction ? so when the elk cleared them and their truck they just stop then started walking up the hill so I shot and the bull took 2 steps and dropped the bull about 350 yards away right in the sagebrush.
So I started walking towards the bull and these 3 Yahoo hunters where watching me and Seeing where I was going so they actually started running back around the hill and came up on my elk and they shot 3 shots point blank in the head.
So I started yelling at them telling them to get away from my bull and when I got to the bull they where getting their tag out and I shut them right down
Their story was they hit the bull first and I told them there was no way he was hit he was just fine so I told all 3 of the yahoo hunters let’s back track his tracks and if we find blood will flip for him they agreed
So we followed his tracks back to the tree line and we couldn’t find any blood at all
I said looks like he’s mine and they said no we had shot him.
so I said where was the first shot they said right behind the shoulder so I said beep wrong answer the one hunter said that’s where I was aiming I said the kill shot is on the Right side just in front of the hind quarter he was quartering away and it went right up threw the body And almost instantly dropped him then the story changed again we shot him in the head?

so I told them I’m done messing around with you guys so I called the local fish and game office and they put me threw to a fish cop in southern Utah (mind you I’m in northern Utah) I told them the story and he said the law is if you can’t come to an agreement I’ll take the bull and all of your tags And nobody gets anything...
I said you can’t take my tag and he said sure we can seems how all 4 of you shot at the bull nobody knows who killed it I’m going to assume you all killed
it make sense to me so I told him all right we will get it figured out..
So I went back to the 3 hunters and my buddy and told them we need to figure this out about that time my brother n law showed up with my brother and 3 of our friends now they where out number
so I said I’ll give up my tag if I have to before you guys get this bull and I think they got intimidated with all the hunters that where there and they walked away from us.
After all that I finally got to enjoy my harvest and I didn’t realize how big he really was.
6x6 bull his gross score was 325 general season bull I wanted to mount him but they destroyed the cape by shooting it in the head.
The fish cop ended up calling me back and made sure the animal got claimed and I said yes I ended up with it he told me I know it sucks but this kinda thing happens every year and this is the only way to resolve it.
my suggestion to you is try not to put yourself in that situation again I chuckled I said okay have a good day...

Here’s my story—
I was hunting Idaho on a general season mule deer tag in 2015. It was a couple days after the opener, so not many people on the mountain. After first light, I spotted what I thought was a decent 4-point feeding about 1,000 yards away. I radioed my brother and told him I spotted a good buck and was going to move in closer. As I got to about 350 yards, the buck moved into some trees, and I assume he bedded down. I was above him in some cliffs and to the left, so I just sat down, got comfy, and had a dead rest of/when he came out. This particular mountain has a heavily used 4-wheeler trail below it, and unbeknownst to me at the time, but other hunters had also seen the buck, and one guy was hiking up the mountain to get closer. After sitting for about 15 minutes, I heard 2 long shots from down below, followed by 2 more. A few seconds later, I see the buck move out of the trees and start heading up the mountain. He’s not limping or anything, so I assume they missed and I get ready to shoot. The buck is quickly moving uphill, so I aim and shoot once, and the buck drops instantly. It took me awhile to get over to the buck, as I had to scale some steep cliffs. I called my brother on the radio and told him to head my way and help me pack it off. When I got to the deer, he clearly had a hole just behind his shoulder, and nothing else I could see. As I was waiting for my brother to arrive, I hear a guy yelling from below saying “that’s my deer!” I wait for my brother, and he gets there the same time as the hunter from below. The other hunter says he saw the buck bed, and shot him right in the shoulder at over 400 yards, and that he never misses. Funny that he shot 4 times though. We inspect the buck, and see 1 entry hole where I hit him (he would’ve been turned the other way while bedded), and we notice a hit in his lower front leg, just in the meat but missing any bone. We track it back to where it was bedded, and see a couple drops of blood. The other hunter says his shot was good, but the evidence proved otherwise. He also said how he had shot at and missed a giant buck on the opener. Again, this is the guy who doesn’t miss. Anyway, we went back and forth about it, we were all very civil, but the other guy really wanted the buck. He said it was his mom’s birthday, and she really wanted him to get a deer for her birthday. Eventually, we decided to flip for it (even though I knew the rules in Idaho, and it was my buck). We flipped his can of Skoal for it, and I lost. I was pissed, especially when the guy said that he didn’t really know how to bone out a deer since he couldn’t drag it by himself. He also didn’t know how to cape one off. So my brother and I skinned it, boned it out, and caped it. And, since we were headed in basically the same direction, we also packed it off for him. He did pay us each $100 for helping. I tried to get the deer back as we had exchanged emails, but he wasn’t having it. Here’s a pic of the buck and why I really wanted it.

2D84A76F-5015-4EB5-BD9C-B683B3002CA5.jpeg

81B89923-8F3D-41F8-986C-2F04C2FAD124.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom