Who here is a well rounded hunter?

JPblind

By that I mean you hunt every type of game and stock your freezer with it. Upland, small game, waterfowl and big game. Tried coyote but weird when you have dogs. Never tried cat unless you know...

I’ve killed all that stuff with my truck. Still trying for a turkey, but would accept a crow as equivalent.
Got a nice turkey tail on the wall after it spiderwebbed my truck windshield driving through colorado. Sucks I didn' t shoot it but waste not want not. Crow meat is a tough breast. Gotta boil it in sugar water.

I've eaten just about all the waterfowl species with the exception of swan. I lived on robin meat for 4 days when I got stranded in the wilderness one year.
Sorry JP, not try to highjack, but serious Eel? I'd like to hear that story.

As for the OP's question--nope. Would love to have the time and opportunity, but the realities of being a working dad with kids and a wife I actually love, makes this an impossibility. Oh, and I live in the most oppressive state in the lower 48.

That’s a good question. I bet not many do that. I tried to think if I know anyone like that and I don’t. A few people come close but they lack birds or some have birds but lack small game. I know plenty that do that with big game from all over the country. The only one I can think of that does that with all game, birds and fish is Richard Christy’s dad. Richard is on the Howard Stern show and his dad is a hunting fool from Kansas. He actually eats road kill and Raccoons.

I’d rather take it in the butt than chase ducks. Duck hunting is boring to me. So I’m not well rounded and my butt hurts.
Don't blame you. Duck hunting in alaska isn't fun. Either risk your life in the mud flats or get showered with pellets at one of the few spots around palmer/wasilla (maud rd.).

Sorry JP, not try to highjack, but serious Eel? I'd like to hear that story.
The year was 1965. The day school got out, about June 1st, me and my buddy Dan Deaner took off for 10 days in the Marble Mountains. Neither of us had a driver's license so Dan's dad took us up and dropped us off at the trail head. My dad would pick us up for the ride home. We took a bare minimum of food because we planned on eating trout every day. Instant potatoes, corn meal, oatmeal, salt, Kool-Aid.

It took 2 days of hiking in snow to get to the first lake and it was completely frozen over. The ice was too thin and rotten to walk out on. It was the lowest elevation lake so we were screwed. We tried fishing the outlet creek and even hiked 4 miles down to the river, but it was flooding and colored so no luck there.

We had 4 days to go and no food, so we shot anything that was alive, which happened to be robins. Damned kids. Dan died last year so they can't arrest him.

I did it somewhat during the 1960-early '70s when my grandfather was still around to eat most of it. I even had to store some big-game meat in a rented locker most years. The feathered stuff was mostly doves & quail, with ducks/geese only an occasional harvest. And there was always plenty of fish of the freshwater species. When we lived in CO for three years circa mid-70s, northern pike, trout & kokanee salmon were regular meal items.

The year was 1965. The day school got out, about June 1st, me and my buddy Dan Deaner took off for 10 days in the Marble Mountains. Neither of us had a driver's license so Dan's dad took us up and dropped us off at the trail head. My dad would pick us up for the ride home. We took a bare minimum of food because we planned on eating trout every day. Instant potatoes, corn meal, oatmeal, salt, Kool-Aid.

It took 2 days of hiking in snow to get to the first lake and it was completely frozen over. The ice was too thin and rotten to walk out on. It was the lowest elevation lake so we were screwed. We tried fishing the outlet creek and even hiked 4 miles down to the river, but it was flooding and colored so no luck there.

We had 4 days to go and no food, so we shot anything that was alive, which happened to be robins. Damned kids. Dan died last year so they can't arrest him.
Geez, you musta killed a bunch to sustain. You were lucky since robins generally take off when it snows.

Family, God and guns! Yep, I'm well rounded. (some might be time-weighted more than others)

Years ago, I returned from a Dall sheep hunt and was getting excited about the dove hunt. A buddy said he was shocked that I'd even care about dove after such a grand sheep adventure. I replied "hey, it's hunting and I love it all"

Zeke

Family, God and guns! Yep, I'm well rounded. (some might be time-weighted more than others)

Years ago, I returned from a Dall sheep hunt and was getting excited about the dove hunt. A buddy said he was shocked that I'd even care about dove after such a grand sheep adventure. I replied "hey, it's hunting and I love it all"

Zeke
Love breaking in the gun for sept doves. Dogs first year, first day. Limit in an hour. Those are fun days.

0901210832a.jpg

I think they were headed north and arrived early and were as surprised as we were.

On the way home we stopped in Willow Creek for a hamburger and milk shake. It never tasted so good. RIP, Dan.
Know the feeling of finally eating a decent meal.

I was on a moose/caribou hunt in northern BC way back when. My Slavey indian guide and I took off on horseback from the main camp with one pack animal loaded with a 10x12 wall tent, our sleeping bags, basic cooking gear and enough food for two days, even though we would be spike camping for a week if needed.

The plan was for the outfitter to air drop us more supplies from his Super Cub. Unfortunately, on the day he was to arrive, a storm moved in where he couldn't fly.

We were already down to bare minimums such as flour, coffee, sugar, lard, packaged soup, potatoes, etc. So for two days, we ate pancakes in the a.m. & fried potatoes, soup and bannock for dinner.

On the 3rd day, I killed a moose about 4 miles from camp. After skinning, we cut out a couple ribs and the flap meat from a rear leg. The meal that night -- flap meat staked and roasted next to a fire and potatoes fried in the fat that dripped off the meat. It was the best of the trip. We did the ribs the following night. The next morning, our supply plane showed up, while we were breaking camp to head to caribou country.

Let's see; I hunt squirrels (still one of my favorite to eat), rabbits, doves, ducks/geese (used to be ate up with hunting them), pheasants/quail (pheasants numbers are way down unfortunately), turkey, deer and last 2 years finally got to hunt antelope and had a blast. I really want to do an elk hunt but have not as of yet.

While I don't eat them; calling coons in the daytime is a TON of fun!!! I also call coyotes during the day and at night. Now that I have a thermal spotter and scope the night hunting for coyotes is what I prefer.

I have also trapped in the past but with prices for fur so low I have not done that in a few years.

In the past I have been called 'the huntingest mofo they know' by a few people I have worked with. LOL

I’d rather take it in the butt than chase ducks. Duck hunting is boring to me. So I’m not well rounded and my butt hurts.
Dang! There's a very long list of stuff I wouldn't want to do in front of taking it in the butt. I don't get too much into bird hunting, but it's definitely ranked higher than a poke in the pooper!?

As a kid, we ate moose, elk, deer, antelope, cottontails, sage grouse, wild turkey, doves and an occasional pheasant. One RM bighorn. Trout (mostly brookies) quite often. We tried bear and a prairie dog once. My father even tried a jackrabbit because, well, he's nuts. So back then, pretty well rounded. But like others, it's a full time job to hunt/fish all those, and that little career thing kinda got in the way. Finally figured out elk was the best, and with enough determination could fill the freezer.

Aoudad, Javelina, Whiting, Moorhen (very low) in the freezer now.
Hope to add waterfowl, additional Moorhen, speckled trout and redfish in the coming months.
I really want to try Bobcat if I can manage to call one in this winter.
Maybe a Whitetail or Feral Hog if I get a chance.

Once upon a time I hunted everything I could. Then I met my wife. She doesn't like duck, goose, rabbit, sage grouse, trout. So I quit hunting that stuff and only keep an occasional trout to eat that night or the next. At least she likes big game, so we're good there.

When I was young I pretty much hunted anything that was legal. Upland game, water fowl, deer, antelope, elk.

Now an occasional grouse and elk, deer, antelope when I draw. It's been awhile since I had to kill things to feel successful and have never had to hunt for sustenance.

Large families alot of guys use to say IF WE are going to feed them we are going to eat them and Big families killed ducks, geese, deer, pheasant, dove, Just about any other wildlife that moved that tasted good.
Family of 12

I’ve never missed a meal.......... but I’ve dang sure gone half crazy for a carbonated sugar water on more than one occasion.

my grandfather is. my mom didn’t eat beef until age 12!

when i was younger and before my grandfathers hip went bad we hunted almost every month of the year.

starting in january with jumping ducks along the sloughs, then coyotes and jack rabbits in the alfalfa fields before spring turkey. followed by spring turnkey and fishing for salmon and stripped bass.

summer was usually fishing season or cotton tails/ ground squirrel blasting. mid summer a least once we would drive up to almost the Oregon border and blast little squeakers at long range maybe even a yoty . we would pig hunting with shotguns on blm in the morning and evening but mid day fish or take a nap.

by time the mellons were almost rip we were sighting in the rifles on them for deer season. fall was alway busy. then back to jumping ducks and turkey hunting.
i miss those days. grandma could cook anything and make it taste good.

As kids growing up, we had no idea we were poor and game meat was a staple. All winter We ate what we killed in the fall. My mother was an excellent cook and could make chicken soup out of chicken sh!t so we didn’t know any better.
Now days, I’m not a big fan of game meat and so my hunting is more limited to deer and elk because I can have it processed and plenty of people will take a good portion of it off my hands. That way it gets well used. I guess I’m no longer we’ll rounded.

Before moving to the West, I was a well rounded hunter. When my kids were growing up, In a single season I would fish, hunt for turkey, dove, quail, squirrel, rabbit, duck & deer.
I would take the kids small game hunting & fishing to introduce them to the outdoors, but I mostly turkey, duck & deer hunted. Throw in a pig or predator hunt occasionally as well.
Now that I live in the West, I only hunt turkey or whatever tag I draw. I have been considering getting back into some bird hunting. Maybe quail or chukar one day.

I like to think I’m a well rounded hunter, I hunt ducks, shoot pheasants, regularly kill deer and try with elk, every year I shoot +10 coyotes and I usually get a lion tag(granted I just shoot predators for sport), I’ve even dabbled in the chase of gobblers, but i will say I have never chased pronghorn and I don’t plan to in the near future.
I guess I hunt what ever the state of Utah allows me too.

I'm into fly fishing when its not elk season. Elk shed hunting, elk scouting, elk hunting and any sort of elk that could be filmed. Some might call me an elkaholic. Well rounded, well not so much :)

Cheers, Pete

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom