Who is hunting chukars?

K

ktc

Saturday it opens and quite frankly, I have seen more of those little bionic rock birds this year than I ever have.

Anyone got any good suggestions on getting the little guys to make noise so I can find 'em? I don't own a falcon, so that is out. Hawks seem to get them rattled, but I don't have one of those either. My chukar call seems to make the kids happy and gives them something to play with, but I can't call 'em.

Are you going? What are your favorite methods?

People around here hunt them with dogs. I don't hunt them per se' but I know quite a few folks who do.

Im going to hit it hard for a few hrs then. Then were going to the UTAH vs.UT STATE game. The bad thing is that blacksmith fork canyon is closed for the top of ut marathon on saturday 6am to 10am. Good luck

littlebuck,

Sounds like you are from the Logan area. Are there many birds up that way? The reason I ask is I have an uncle that lives in Avon and has a pile of ground. He says there are lots of chukars on "his mountain." I never thought of Avon as chukar country.

I have a dog, but like pheasants, he seems to run a lot and no birds to find. Tough to make a good dog when he doesn't even have a clue as to what he is looking for.

Until four years ago, I lived my entire life in Cache Valley and have never seen a Chukar. I have tried hunting them a few times, but have never been successful. I would be great to find some good areas to hunt them. It sounds as if the DWR is working towards make them the "replacement" for pheasants in Utah.

Jason

Well I have Falcons and Hawks but that still does not make Chukars any easier to find!!! But once I do Find them it is a fun way to HUNT!!!!!!!!!!

If I knew how to post I would post some pic's

Tallbuck1

One Bad Day Hunting
is better than a good day
at WORK!

I have hunted chukers a few times up in the cliffs around blacksmith fork, but its tuff hunting. I hope the state planted a few up here this year.

I went out this past saturday to West Box Elder county for my 2 Sage Grouse. I limited out for Grouse in 20 minutes and Then Found 5 different coveys of Chukar's. It was a fun weekend and I will be going back out to limit out again on chukar and hopefully huns!!!!

Tallbuck1

One Bad Day Hunting
at WORK!

It sounds like you have seen what I have seen, lots of chukars this year.

I was going to go today, but I am a fair weather guy. I didn't want to mess with the people on Saturday, so my hunting will start during the weekdays shortly.

Nothing more fun than finding a good covey of chukars. Makes a guy forget about pheasant hunting real fast.

I hope the F&G works on chukar populations to "replace" pheasants or just improve the chukar population. Lots of habitat for them.

I counted 63 Sage Grouse and maybe over a hundred chukar's. I also saw a bunch of Hun's. My other hunting buddies have tags for grouse as well but were not able to go on saturday so we are going to go back out some night this week to find more birds and maybe try other areas for chuckar. I hope that chuckar are the next pheasant because homes are not going to spring up in the west desert on steep hills!!!!! There alot of fun and are really unpridictable, but that is half the fun!!

Hope you find a bunch

Tallbuck1

One Bad Day Hunting
at WORK!

Went out yesterday and saw 4 different coveys. We all limited. Is it just me, or are there tons of chukars this year? Better than years past?

I hunt them on horseback. We flush them then we get off and hobble the horses. Then we start walking.....and walking.....and walking....etc. We average a couple of chukkar a day. Not very efficient but we get a lot of exercise as do the fat overdo in need of exercise horses.
The first time I went I had my girlfriend hold the horses while I went after the birds. I made three sucessive shots which sent the horses into the next county. The girlfriend made a noble attempt to keep them contained but ended up in the rocks and the dirt with a few brand new bruises to show for it. Spent the rest of the day searching for our four legged hairy ATV's. Had one bird to show for our efforts. But it was a good bird. Thats when I decided that hobbles would work better. Still have never made a big killin' but we have big fun. fatrooster.

Question: I haven't been in the west long enough to make a detailed observation (10 years) but I noticed that the Chukkar populations have made a dramatic increase with drought conditions as long as there was a water source nearby. The sage hen population seems to have declined with drought. Is there anything to this? fatrooster.

Rooster,

The horseback idea has crossed my mind, but as you said, finding a big enough sage brush to tie one to while you gun chukars could be rough. Sounds fun though. That is why I hunt deer by horseback, you can always say you had a good ride if nothing else.

I don't have any experience with sage hens. Shot one once and it tasted like a dirty sock, so I kind of gave up on pursuing them. Chukars and water go together for sure, but the spots I am getting them now have always had water. It just seems there are more birds at these sources. I read where the F&G had released birds and as near as I can tell I am not hunting any of these areas. It just seems like the birds are more plentiful this year. Don't know if the summer rains we got made a positive impact or what, but I have had a ball shooting bionic rocks birds this year.

MM should have a chukar contest along with the buck and bull contest. I might be in the running. :)

I have been studying Sage Grouse for the better part of 10 years now. Unlike many other types of Upland Game birds Sage Grouse do not like to be disturbed. No disturbance of there Strutting grounds durning the early spring is critical for a good fall population. If they get pushed out of there Strutting grounds they normally leave and find a new home ( sometimes this might be in a new county or state.) I have been studying them in Wyoming, Idaho and Utah along with a buddie, we have been doing data counts for the Game and Fish and they have been shocked as to what the data really is. But here is utah there is alot of Sage brush area for them to inhabit but because of development of homes and exploration of natural resources like oil and gas sage grouse have left native areas. Sage grouse just dont like to be disturbed!

P.S. If Marinated with a Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce and a little Garlic Powder for about a half hour then cooked over and open flame for about 2 minutes per side then serve with spanish rice and Salad, You Meal is Absolutely Devine!!!!!!

P.S.S.The above recipie also works with all other Red Meated Upland Game Bird!!!

Tallbuck1

One Bad Day Hunting
at WORK!

I've been out a couple of times this year and have seen plenty...problem is most of them flush way out of range. I have a good dog that usually points (on pheasants anyway), but she can't get these birds to hold. Any suggestions for getting in shotgun range before they go up?

Tallbuck1, If you are interested I know of some a good sage grouse leck I have been awhare of it for 7 years now . It is west of Duboise Idaho.
It is located right on a road and every spring I drive right between these grouse doing thier strutting I often watch from 20-30 yards away and it has not seemed to bother them at all . there is not alot of birds but numbers have increased over the last 2 years . There were about 30-40 birds , thiere lowest number was about 8-10 4 years ago and when I was first out there there was 75-100 birds .
It is a known leck but I have only seen 2 other people out thier .

Very Nice Smiley!!

I have been up in the Arco Deseret and around Blackfoot and up by Mud Lake, next spring I will have to take a drive up to Duboise and See some Leks! Out in wyoming this year the G&F had known about only 11 leks in one area and that was all they were baseing there hunting procs on. So this year we went up and found 19 other leks (one lek had over 100 strutting Boomers!) in and around the 11 that the G&F knew about and they were SHOCKED to say the least. This year they are going to have us study other areas that are of concern for them.

All and all we have found 78 leks that were not known by the state of Wyoming as of April of 2004.

Tallbuck1

One Bad Day Hunting
at WORK!

SureShot,

I have a dog, but don't use it on chukars. The chukars I have hunted do not hold. Once I get to 30-50 yards they begin to run, then you better have your track shoes on and run after them until they flush. I believe with a dog, the dog would get them running the distance the dog ranges from you.

I would however use the dog after the covey has flushed, been shot at and flushed again. Then they seem to hold a bit and are scattered.

I find water, listen, look for tracks, (if they are around they make plenty of tracks) if I see tracks I just start walking the direction they did. I usually find the birds within a 100 yards of the water.

This chukar hunting has been too much fun this year.

...one more thing. Chukars are not a real big bird, but definitely high brass material. Use a good stout pheasant load on them.

It never hurts to have a few small rocks in your vest that you can chuck to persuade them to flush, beats running.

We are going again Saturday. To hell with the spike elk hunt. I wanna shoot chukars! ;-)

Seen a flock of turkeys out on the desert. I was kind of shocked, but pleased to see the turkey transplant efforts going well.

I have never had much luck finding those chukars. Anyone care to give me a tip on where to try? Send me a private message or e-mail. If they are all secret spots I understand and don't expect your info. Thanks and have a great hunt!

Chad

SS,

I would never say exactly where as you don't expect that either. Let me give you a hint. Find water, sage, and rocks. Desert country and it doesn't have to be the steepest crap. The ones I have been shooting are on some pretty flat stuff. Tell me what part of the world you live in and maybe I can get ya headed in the right direction. I can give you some general stuff to look at. Just got to buzz around, find water, and look for tracks. If you find tracks you will find birds. They leave plenty of sign, if they are there, you will know it.

I am going to go get a bag of 'em now.

Thanks for the advice. I have been hunting really steep stuff when I have gone out. I live in Riverton (South Salt Lake County) but would travel a ways if I could get on to birds. Have a great day and thanks again.

Chad

Chuckars are the Hardest Bird I've ever hunted.... I seldom get out.

chuckar.sized.jpg

Don't know much about Utah, but Idaho seems to have alot of them.

• [*] -Moosie
~~If you're going to walk on thin ice, Ya might as Well DANCE !!
WALK the TALK, Or shut the HECK UP !!

Nice birds Moosie. I bet ya ate 'em too.

Is there anything you haven't shot? How about some ringnecks? I like a picture of a bag of roosters.

Turkey? Ya got one of those? I like turkey pics too. ;-)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom