Who killed the Mundy buck solved!

Mikexom

Mundy buck was not killed by either Bill Mundy nor a Mundy employee.

A 10 year old boy named Frank Mestas bird hunting on his uncle Solomons ranch (near the Mundy ranch) dropped the buck with a 22 short right behind the left year. Frankie's dad gave the buck to Bill when they met Bill on the road headed home. Frankie's dad didn't want the meat as he figured an old buck would be gamey. The Mestas are a well known ranching family from Alamosa, CO who have a big piece of property on the Brazos above Mundy ranch.
This is a firsthand account as told to me by Frankie who is my mother's first cousin (his mother is sister to my mom's father) and is the truth.

So?

Was it Legal?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

84933mundybuck.jpg

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Welcome to the forum. Frankie May be misremembering. A 22 short will barely kill a Robin let alone penetrate the skull of a giant buck. 22 LR maybe or 22 Magnum?

"This is a firsthand account as told to me by Frankie who is my mother's first cousin (his mother is sister to my mom's father) and is the truth."

Statements like this one keep me coming back to the internet with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my chest.

Frank Mestas is easy to find in Alamosa, CO. Was a county commissioner for several years and a very prominent rancher. Look him up and call him he would be happy for the conversation.

Welllll hold on hoss. This is obviously the truth then if he ranches, is a government employee, likes to talk and a guy without a face or name posted up his gossip for him on the internet. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Look MikeX, you think I am calling this a lie, which I am not. I am saying posting second hand info/gossip on a website and calling it "the truth" isn't credible. But it is pretty funny. Thanks for sharing.

You know what would be cool is a pic of Little Frank with his birds a little .22 and a giant dead non-typical muley. Please when you find that pic please share it. I think it would be awesome to see something like that.

How does it make a hill of beans difference in anyone's life if Frank or mikexom is telling the truth.
If I am wrong with that statement please enlighten me.
Good story mikexom.

It may make a difference to the current owner of the antlers, the state of New Mexico, and maybe Boone and Crockett Club. But it may not.

For me I just find the humor in what people nowadays call "the truth". May not mean anything at all to you Notdon and I have zero problem with that.

Frankly I like the story and I'm going with it.

Thank you for completing the circle of life and death on the Mundy buck.

Tri I do care if someone is telling the truth, but this story as far as i am concerned is just a tall tell there to entertain not a big deal one way or the other and it delivered for me.
I do see your point with the B&C and maybe the owner of the Mundy buck but I am sure either one could do there own investigation to determine the truth on the story of the buck.

I'm pretty sure we will never really know the truth. The story likely had a pretty good spin on it the very first time it was told.
Is the Mundy buck still the biggest mule deer ever taken or have some of these Arizona strip bucks passed him by now?

It sure would be nice if there were verification of this story. Unfortunately one persons story will not be believed by most people. We all know the lies that hunters and fisherman are prone to tell.

It reminds me of all the books that try to re-write history. There is only so much proof from something that happened hundreds of years ago and it's pretty much been sifted through thoroughly by scores of people, so when someone tries to come up with a new story it's hard to believe. It's not like the author was there to experience it first-hand.

Well my name is Miguel Sanchez, I grew up on our own ranch across from the Mundys who I know well (mostly Bill, his son Jimmy, and grandson RL). In any case you are free to believe anything you'd like or come on up to Chama (next three weeks or after to Dubai where I work) and show your face.

None of this is gossip nor secondhand but take note that Bill never claimed to kill the buck himself and used the name of a guy nearly identical to Frankie's to claim the buck onto his property as a way to promote his outfitting business at the time.

"Well my name is Miguel Sanchez, I grew up on our own ranch across from the Mundys who I know well (mostly Bill, his son Jimmy, and grandson RL)."

Howdy. My name is Ben Cromeens. I don't know any of the Mundys.

" In any case you are free to believe anything you'd like"

Well thank you. I just don't know what I would do without your permission.

"or come on up to Chama (next three weeks or after to Dubai where I work) and show your face."

Four posts in and your already getting all internet tough. You're going to fit right in.

"None of this is gossip nor secondhand but take note that Bill never claimed to kill the buck himself and used the name of a guy nearly identical to Frankie's to claim the buck onto his property as a way to promote his outfitting business at the time."

Actually every bit of this is secondhand and gossip. By every definition of those words. Even your following statements are. You literally don't know what those words mean.

Let me help you out. Here, watch this and listen close.

That's David Crockett. Says there he killed him a bare when he was three. Well it must be true. I mean they put it in a hollywood song with Fess Parker. They wouldn't lie about something like that. Would they? Grandpa always told me Davey Crockett killed a bear with a knife. Which one's story is wrong. Maybe they are both right. Either way its all hearsay, secondhand gossip. Doesn't mean it ain't an entertaining story. The difference is grandpa and Fess Parker weren't challenging each other to show their faces somewhere because they know people and it's "the truth"!

Mikexom, just ignore that POS midget troll Tridouche. He?s trying to bait you into an argument. His passion in life is arguing on the internet about things he knows nothing about.

No worries. Im sure this is an important part of his life so I'm happy to help shine a light. In any case, moving on. I am lucky to have spent time with Frankie up on the Brazos helping out and he was pretty master of fact about this particular story. Same with Bill, he was a really good man that was recent to the area but fit right in and made a good ranch out of a piece of property that in those days was not well considered.

I could believe it. Many a deer have been killed with 22's. That picture goes back for many years. The short part - who knows. I had a Ruger pistol auto that required LR to eject, but one of my box of shorts, ejected just fine. Never say never or you will just stay the o' forum skepic dummy. :)

So from the link in post 4 we have three possible shooters.

Frank Maestas
David Maestas
Jose Garcia

A bummer that we still don't have a straight story. All I know is the youngest kid in the picture looks a lot older than 10 years old.

> I'm pretty sure we will
>never really know the truth.
>The story likely had a
>pretty good spin on it
>the very first time it
>was told.
>Is the Mundy buck still the
>biggest mule deer ever taken
>or have some of these
>Arizona strip bucks passed him
>by now?

It was never the biggest buck ever taken. There are several that score higher in the non-typical category. I do believe it's the widest on record though.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I'm not talking about score in inches.
Will the Mundy Bucks rack displace more water than any other buck killed to date?

>I'm not talking about score in
>inches.
>Will the Mundy Bucks rack displace
>more water than any other
>buck killed to date?

Not a chance...the lost pine valley buck would most likely displace the most water

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Frankie did mention his uncle had a stepside Chevy pickup and the spread was wider than the bed of the truck.
"This is a firsthand account as told to me by Frankie who is my mother's first cousin (his mother is sister to my mom's father) and is the truth."

Statements like this one keep me coming back to the internet with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my chest.
I can tell you my grandpa who lives in chama New Mexico and grew up by corkins lodge knew bill mundy and bill always told him the he killed the buck

Well my name is Miguel Sanchez, I grew up on our own ranch across from the Mundys who I know well (mostly Bill, his son Jimmy, and grandson RL). In any case you are free to believe anything you'd like or come on up to Chama (next three weeks or after to Dubai where I work) and show your face.

None of this is gossip nor secondhand but take note that Bill never claimed to kill the buck himself and used the name of a guy nearly identical to Frankie's to claim the buck onto his property as a way to promote his outfitting business at the time.
Miguel Sanchez, Mine Safety Guy Miguel or kin to??

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom