Who runs a suppressor for hunting?

Gadjet

I’m new to the suppressor world, but I’m getting older and so is my hearing. I’m seriously thinking about getting one. A friend has a Banish 30 that I’m very impressed with.
What’s the good, bad, and ugly about hunting with one?
Thanks!

The good is reduced recoil, in some cases hearing safe. The bad can be the extra length. For decibel reduction to be really effective, the suppressor needs to be fairly large. For example my favorite suppressors for hunting and precision are the Thunderbeast Ultra series. The 9" for when i want as quiet as possible, the 5" when i want a short lightweight suppressor. Most used and good compromise is the Ultra 7.
The ugly would be the wait time. paper forms are taking 14 months. Most dealers are doing efile now. The atf was saying 90 day approvals for efile, and it started off awesome. As a dealer I submitted 220 applications on efile. Had a around a 100 approvals under 90 days. Most had been 70 day and a few luckly guys at 20 days. The last couple of months has come grounding to a halt on efile, and the new average seems to be 210-260 days. Still a lot better than 14 months.
I'm not familiar with the banish suppressors. As a dealer that has sold over a thousand suppressors in the last couple of years, i would say stick with a major name brand that has support. I have heard of banish, but its strange to me that none of the major suppliers would carry the banish line.
Prepare for a trip down the rabbit hole. Suppressors are like potatoe chips or beer, cant have just one.

The good is reduced recoil, in some cases hearing safe. The bad can be the extra length. For decibel reduction to be really effective, the suppressor needs to be fairly large. For example my favorite suppressors for hunting and precision are the Thunderbeast Ultra series. The 9" for when i want as quiet as possible, the 5" when i want a short lightweight suppressor. Most used and good compromise is the Ultra 7.
The ugly would be the wait time. paper forms are taking 14 months. Most dealers are doing efile now. The atf was saying 90 day approvals for efile, and it started off awesome. As a dealer I submitted 220 applications on efile. Had a around a 100 approvals under 90 days. Most had been 70 day and a few luckly guys at 20 days. The last couple of months has come grounding to a halt on efile, and the new average seems to be 210-260 days. Still a lot better than 14 months.
I'm not familiar with the banish suppressors. As a dealer that has sold over a thousand suppressors in the last couple of years, i would say stick with a major name brand that has support. I have heard of banish, but its strange to me that none of the major suppliers would carry the banish line.
Prepare for a trip down the rabbit hole. Suppressors are like potatoe chips or beer, cant
Prepare for a trip down the rabbit hole. Suppressors are like potatoe chips or beer, cant have just one.
Thanks for the info. I guess the Banish is sold through Silencer Central. It’s modular and goes from 9-7 inches. I shot it at 9 inches, which is obviously the quietest. It’s also made so the user can take it apart and clean the baffles without the need to send it in. It’s made of titanium and seemed pretty lightweight to me. The biggest drawback is how long it makes the rifle for a hunting application. I’m shooting a 300WM with a 24 inch barrel. If I go this route I may have the barrel cut and rethreaded at 20 inches.
I’m not really pushing the Banish, but at this point I’m a little ignorant on the whole subject and it’s the only one that I’ve been around so far.
As far as going down the rabbit hole, I’m thinking if I’m going through the hassle of getting one, I might as well get 2 or 3..,,,

From my researches each suppressor, pending on make and build materials used may or may not require a minimum barrel length in specific calibers. Make sure what ever you buy will meet suppressor minimum requirements if you decide to cut barrel length shorter.

Banish are good. I like the modular ability. They are made by Mack Brothers but I think silencer central bought them. Not available at other retailers because they keep them in house. If silencer central is near you at a gun show it’s super easy as they can do everything there in house. I’ve got 5 of their suppressors and like them. My only complaint with hunting is they add length. I built a 22” 7mm Max this year for suppressor use and it’s great but it kind of kicks with the 7” mode on it. It’s a light rifle and I’ve shot muzzle breaks for so many years it’s just hard fo get used to recoil again. Not brutal but can’t watch impact with it.

I have a TBAC Ultra 7 coming…who knows when. I ordered a year ago. I cut a 7mm-08 Tikka down to 18” to help with the overall length.

I do, I do....and love them for all the obvious reasons. Just killed a coyote at ____ yards two days ago. Too far for the MM crowd to handle. Haha
It's the only way to fly IMHO.

Gadjet, unless you're in your 20's, you cannot "run" one. You must "shoot" with one. LOL
If you're in your 20's, it's understandable and almost forgivable....with a pat on the head.

Zeke

I do, I do....and love them for all the obvious reasons. Just killed a coyote at ____ yards two days ago. Too far for the MM crowd to handle. Haha
It's the only way to fly IMHO.

Gadjet, unless you're in your 20's, you cannot "run" one. You must "shoot" with one. LOL
If you're in your 20's, it's understandable and almost forgivable....with a pat on the head.

Zeke
Well I'm thinking pretty hard about ordering a couple. The Banish30 is at the top of my list. The hardest part to me is the ridiculous wait time!
I only wish I was still in my 20's! But just to go against the grain, I'm going to try to run with it! I'll probably pull a muscle!

Well I'm thinking pretty hard about ordering a couple. The Banish30 is at the top of my list. The hardest part to me is the ridiculous wait time!
I only wish I was still in my 20's! But just to go against the grain, I'm going to try to run with it! I'll probably pull a muscle!
You made me laugh!!!

Good on ya man. The wait sucks but it's soooooo worth it.
So many great suppressors out there and I only get to use a couple different ones and trade them around on rifles.

Bite the bullet, make the wait, enjoy it (them) a ton once you get to run one on a rifle!!! There, I said it although I threw up in my old throat. LOL

Zeke

You made me laugh!!!

Good on ya man. The wait sucks but it's soooooo worth it.
So many great suppressors out there and I only get to use a couple different ones and trade them around on rifles.

Bite the bullet, make the wait, enjoy it (them) a ton once you get to run one on a rifle!!! There, I said it although I threw up in my old throat. LOL

Zeke
Kinda catchy isn’t it!

As said above. Prepare for the wait. Love my rugged radiant 7.62. Super light, can reduce the size if needed. Run it on 5.56 clear up to a .300 win mag.

Was one of those things I didn't get it until I shot one. So much better than muzzle-brake damaging your ears

I can't even have one.....

I ordered a Banish 30 in May, to use on a 300 WM and 7mm Rem Mag. Just passed the 150 day mark but don't have it yet. Silencer Central has been very helpful. Ask them a question, they get you an answer. Supposedly they are shipping suppressors ordered in the February timeframe as of now.

My barrel OD was ~.660 for both the 7mm and 300WM. Went with the 9/16" threading instead of the 5/8" they originally spec'd. I probably way overanalyzed it, but the 9/16 was a compromise between remaining barrel wall thickness and barrel shoulder to absorb the recoil.

To answer your question, I will likely hunt with it in eastern whitetail country where sitting in a stand is most likely. However, for a western hunt with lots of walking, probably not. I mainly want it for practicing.

Silencer shop is another good outlet to use. Great customer service and help with your trust.

Recent turn around are at 14 months.

People need to remember to not call the ATF every flippin day to check on your progress. All you do is hold them up from doing there job. I know several people that call daily to get an update.

Best advice is go through the process and just forget about it cause the wait does suck

Right now i only have .223 and .22 rimfire suppressors. Currently been waiting 11 months on a paper form 4 for a .30 cal can to use on my .308s and .243. Been waiting 6 months on an efile for a banish46 to use on my .444 marlin. Really, really looking forward to having the can on that marlin next bear season.
Yeah, the wait sucks, and it keeps a lot of guys from buying them, but just get on it. The best time to get the ball rolling is 2 years ago. The second best time is today.

In efile wait line for my dead air nomad TI, and a .22 silencerco sparrow. Bought a .308 with 22 in barrel to help with length and lots of manufactures are starting to make shorter barreled rifles to help with the length. After shooting a buddies suppressor, I was sold they are great for hearing, recoil reduction follow up shots if need be, especially coyote hunting, and just plain fun

I ordered a Banish 30 in May, to use on a 300 WM and 7mm Rem Mag. Just passed the 150 day mark but don't have it yet. Silencer Central has been very helpful. Ask them a question, they get you an answer. Supposedly they are shipping suppressors ordered in the February timeframe as of now.

My barrel OD was ~.660 for both the 7mm and 300WM. Went with the 9/16" threading instead of the 5/8" they originally spec'd. I probably way overanalyzed it, but the 9/16 was a compromise between remaining barrel wall thickness and barrel shoulder to absorb the recoil.

To answer your question, I will likely hunt with it in eastern whitetail country where sitting in a stand is most likely. However, for a western hunt with lots of walking, probably not. I mainly want it for practicing.
I ordered a banish 30 in February so hopefully I get my can soon but not holding my breath. The sales guy told me I'd get it in 6 months or less but that didn't happen.

I've shot 6mm, 7mm and 300 win suppressed. The pro is reduced "felt" recoil and reduced noise. The con is that when you pull the trigger it feels like you have your arms wrapped around a kangaroo as he begins to hop. I couldn't stay on target with the 7mm mag let alone anything bigger. But maybe you can learn to shoot one? I have a Trash Panda on the way from Q for the 300 Win mag. Well see how I like it.

I've shot 6mm, 7mm and 300 win suppressed. The pro is reduced "felt" recoil and reduced noise. The con is that when you pull the trigger it feels like you have your arms wrapped around a kangaroo as he begins to hop. I couldn't stay on target with the 7mm mag let alone anything bigger. But maybe you can learn to shoot one? I have a Trash Panda on the way from Q for the 300 Win mag. Well see how I like it.
I reckon it may have to do with the weight of your rifle? Magnums just aren’t that fun when they weigh 7/8 lbs, the sniper systems that my guys were running back in the day I think it was 13 or 15 lb rifle with suppressor in 300 win mag, that thing was fun to shoot

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom