Who's Excited About Draw?

chrisamx

Not much discussion going on about the upcoming Draw. Use to be a lot of talk anbout Zones and Points, etc., has everyone given up?

I have given up on everything Cali except waiting to burn points on Goodale. I know it's not the best hunt in Cali... blah, blah, blah. I do think it is the best unit in Cali to see TONS of deer and to be able to hunt bucks in the heat of the rut. With max points, I hope to draw in the next 5 years...or this year....or in 15 years....who knows!!

Drought year. Most people going for points I assume. I'm still applying to deer hunt in December. Oh and that elusive Elk tag.

Drought year. Most people going for points I assume. I'm still applying to deer hunt in December. Oh and that elusive Elk tag.
Still haven't applied. Definitely gonna, just not as excited as years past. Oh, by the way, I'm definitely gonna get me one of those elusive bighorn tags. :ROFLMAO:

I have given up on everything Cali except waiting to burn points on Goodale. I know it's not the best hunt in Cali... blah, blah, blah. I do think it is the best unit in Cali to see TONS of deer and to be able to hunt bucks in the heat of the rut. With max points, I hope to draw in the next 5 years...or this year....or in 15 years....who knows!!
If you draw I’d be happy to help.

Getting harder and harder to get excited about anything in California but you still never know when you might hit something random.

Not that excited as I know what I will end up with, a d zone general deer tag. I’m more excited to hear about what others draw and be apart of some oil sheep hunts

Anyone want to trade x7a x8 x6b x5b x9a or x12 info for x9c?Might sound crazy but i fell in love with 9c 2 years ago now I never saw a buck but i believe if i can draw again this year I can get on some dandys not looking for honey holes just deer spots but i will trade some pinpoint spots in those zones i listed pm me thanks

I HAD SOME FRIENDS ON THE WHITE MT. SHEEP HUNT SAY THAT THEY SAW SEVERAL WALL HANGER BUCKS UP HIGH WHILE HUNTING SHEEP. THEY ALL WANT TO GO BACK FOR DEER..........................YD.

Here’s why you never want to give up on applying in California...

B9EAA228-0D57-4166-A02D-A783F056B6CE.jpeg

it took 34 years of applications and was definitely worth it.

Anyone want to trade x7a x8 x6b x5b x9a or x12 info for x9c?Might sound crazy but i fell in love with 9c 2 years ago now I never saw a buck but i believe if i can draw again this year I can get on some dandys not looking for honey holes just deer spots but i will trade some pinpoint spots in those zones i listed pm me thanks
I might wind up with an X9c tag this year, myself.

15points between the two of us, got to keep scouting.
Haven't narrowed it yet, but found some promise a couple weeks back.
What little snow remains it's going to be a dry one.

I treat my deer points in California like any other state; try and draw every couple of years and don't wait for G3. The other species are basically once-in-a-lifetime.
I am hoping to draw G3 soon so I can start hunting X12 again. I came this far waiting so I will wait. It really sucks but I will be happy when I eventually draw that tag....hopefully it won't take another 10 years. :)

If you're at max, stick with your plan. However, if you're below max, you're in the random pool with 3 random tags or so for everyone. But--you could be one of those 3!
I am max for deer.....2 short of max in antelope and elk. Not sure what I was thinking those 2 years I didn't apply for elk and antelope.

In my opinion if I had 8 points I would be looking at an x zone that I can scout, but I would want to also scout it during the season a year before I draw to make sure it’s what I want. There are a bunch that produce good deer that take less points than that but knowledge of unit is what is important. People like the late hunts cause you can just show up and hunt and with little knowledge you can find rutting deer but you have to wait too long for that chance. I have hunted Goodale and Doyle and scouted devils and they are all great but have seen and killed deer in units that take way less points. I am not bashing those hunts they are super fun but I won’t ever get the points to hunt them myself again.I know that is pretty vague info but what I am getting at is you are better hunting a unit you know that takes 4 points than one you don’t that takes 8, don’t let the amount of points a hunt takes make you beleive you will do better there.

if your max and not going 5b then you have been drinking!!!!!! best deer in sh.t hole CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And it's not even up for discussion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G3 way overrated way way way overrated!!!!look elsewhere !!!!!!! I mentioned where to go earlier and it's pretty much a no brainer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are a bunch of better hunts than Goodale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PM ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There are a bunch of better hunts than Goodale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would agree that X4 and X5b can be good just need knowledge. I would also agree Goodale is over rated the buck I took there is maybe my third best mule deer from Ca but for guys that want to see a lot of bucks and size isn’t as important it’s a great hunt

A GUY CAN ALWAYS PICK UP A LEFTOVER SHEEP TAG, IF HE CANT DRAW !!!! RIGHT !!! I'AM SURE OF IT !!!!!! I THINK THIS IS MY YEAR FOR THE CALI SHEEP TAG IN THE WHITES...................YD.

oljc- I appreciate the enthusiasm but I am really wanting to hunt Goodale....not to shoot a better than average buck but to hunt Goodale. I don't get many opportunities to see tons of deer on California hunts so that specific hunt offers that.

A GUY CAN ALWAYS PICK UP A LEFTOVER SHEEP TAG, IF HE CANT DRAW !!!! RIGHT !!! I'AM SURE OF IT !!!!!! I THINK THIS IS MY YEAR FOR THE CALI SHEEP TAG IN THE WHITES...................YD.
I hope you draw. Supposed to be a great sheep hunt with plenty rams.

THANKS ELKNUTS, THIS TIME I AM GOING TO SLIP A HUNDRED DOLLAR BILL IN WITH THE APPLICATION...............HOPE IT HELPS !!!! GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR DRAWS AS WELL............................YD.

The fires last year were terrible. We did not get any wild flowers this year in the southern SJ valley. I havent seen too much growth up in the mountains either. Even Tejon looks bad. I am not sure when it is this dry in the spring, does that mean we should have less wildfires? All of my fishing buddies are already complaining the lakes are too low for even their fishing tourneys. Most guys are driving up to the delta just to fish. Isabella and Success are both below 25% and it is not warm yet.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/reportapp/javareports?name=RES

My take is 15 solid drought months in a row. My reads say fawn prduction and or survival about a 1/3 at best for dry years? Another year of drought not good at all. Can see watering lawns and big game hunting a distant memory not to far off?

Any one else have feedback for new browse growth for 2012. Little to no wild flowers this year wonder exactly what tortoises eat on a year like this? For a few times out of late each time I tested plant folige it was very dry with little to no moisture and little to no new browse growth in desert or forest plants? My guess is new browse growth is a banner find for the California mule deer including fawns? And trophy racks? And little on the table this year!

And some folks are thrilled with finding that a new wolf found its way to California. Suspect predators sentenced to a hard life with game animals seemingly on decline too. Some rancher probably feeding him their cat or calf? Be thrilled if game populations way up but at this time I do not think so. Did wolfe come because he was ran out of Oregon by other males and or looking for better game chances? Welcome to the hunting party new grey wolf?

Not sure what I will apply for this year? If at all?

Last edited:
Gonna put my son in for an X-Zone tag with 5 points. Not sure where yet, but narrowed it down to a few. He's never shot a buck so I'm excited as his chances are better than B zone.

Not me...chalk me up for a couple though.
Only takes 1 to win, am i right? I feel as if there are so many people that buy in on those that if you spend $705 or the $7.05 your odds are about the same. Obviously the odds of 100 names in the hat to 1 is better but when there are say 1 million names in the hat, 1 is just as good as 100.

Did you do 705 for all of them or just one?
I did one of everything except the golden tag i will admit i bought 10 of them. I just don't see the justification of the 100 of them. I do alot of guiding for the gov tags and the quality is just not there anymore. Personally i would rather spend the money in the fundraiser hunts for application services such as Epic Outdoors or Hunting Fool. Just my opinion.

Well there is not an excuse for not hunting deer in ca. unless you have to many tags or you are dead, I do have a good line up of tags but will have at least one more deer tag for A zone maybe 2, so pacificfork your 60000 tag estimate is wrong, it only 59999

Ah, the A zone! Brings back memories of hot steep brushy tick infested, biting fly times. I don't even think about the nice bucks I got every time on the hunts. I just quit going because it was plain miserable. Even in a Wyoming snow storm, I can think it could be worse, I could be sweating my ass off in the heat while trying to seat off biting flys with no relief!

I just tried to get to the log-in screen, got the error message 2x, a couple of hrs ago I could log in with no issues, seems like they are getting ready to let us all get the tag we have been waiting for! HA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom