Who's killed a Barbary in high winds?

mozey

Long Time Member
I've got one--a 22" ram that I walked right up to, startled us both and didn't end well for him. Other than him I can count the barbarys I've seen when it gets really windy on less than one hand.

I'm looking at the forecast for this weekend and wondering if I should change up my game plan. Where do they go?

I've actually done well on high wind days. It eliminates half of the places they could be. Sit on the windy side of the canyon and glass the bottom and side that's out of the wind. Seems pretty simple to me.

I killed my barbary last Feb on the last week in massive wind.Small group of 5 fed right to us and I killed my sheep 1 shot at 153 yards with a .243.

I killed my best ram in a wind storm. I haven't really noticed if I see more when it's calm or not. Honestly, I don't really remember it not being really windy while hunting barbs. I say you're guaranteed not to see one if you stay home. Maybe the winds will keep most other hunters at home and you'll have all the sheep to yourself!! Good luck Moz! Post pics!!!

LOL, this year hopefully just one--I'm not greedy.

The one that I referred to above was about eight years ago. He was my third, and I've harvested three more since him, and helped several others get their firsts. I've just noticed that what has worked for me only seems effective when the winds aren't gale force.

I liked what passthrough said--that makes sense to me.

I have killed or helped kill a whole pile of them in the wind. With that being said, I do think you see more when it is calm. Right after a snow storm is the best.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-19 AT 09:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-20-19 AT 09:35?PM (MST)

Just had one day to get out and hint this February and it was WINDY monday , my wife said 1 day and she meant it??
After seeing 6 rams cross into private and stand there laughing at me, i just kept at it and took this ewe at 4:45 that afternoon . She was with a young ram so i opted to take her. 6 mile solo pack out and you know how sheep counyry is.

31031snapchat458412153.jpg

8941720190218162737.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom