WHO'S SHOOTIN THEM???

I don’t condone shooting them, but feral horses have become a problem in much of the west. Before the Wild Horse Act in 1971 my Dad and several of his friends would chase horse every year. From south of Stockton and Ophir out through Rush and Skull Valleys they rounded up horses every year. The best mountain horse I ever rode was Old Pal, a horse dad caught as a colt. The horses used in the Cedar Fort 24th of July rodeo were caught that spring and summer and sold after as a town fund raiser. I was with the crew in 1972 or 73 when the government swooped down on us and threatened to put us all in prison. That was the end of the round ups, and beginning of the present problem. I think similar things were like that around the west. Bess, I know you know Doc Buxton and Newell Christensen. They loved chasing horses in the Book Cliffs. Look what has happened down there. The point is what they did helped control the herd, and didn’t cost the government anything. What does it cost the government now? BacDoc?

They are not a naturally occurring wild species and do not belong. Talk about messing up an ecosystem.

I once heard a forest ranger refer to them as "weeds" and should be exterminated.
I agree. This is a good thing to throw in the liberals face when they talk about others being science deniers. Bring this up and ask them to show a biologist that says it’s a good thing to have the horses there or that they don’t negatively impact the environment.

You Don't Like People Shootin Horsies I Take It blue?
I didn’t like horses when I owned them, and still don’t. At least cows are food.

BTW, I’ve seen 2 classes of ”wild” horses. There are the real wild ones like up in the NW corner of CO that are damn cagey. Then there are the domestic wild horses like down around Heber AZ that you could put a bridle on.

My favorites are the jackasses down in the desert. :)

I didn’t like horses when I owned them, and still don’t. At least cows are food.

BTW, I’ve seen 2 classes of ”wild” horses. There are the real wild ones like up in the NW corner of CO that are damn cagey. Then there are the domestic wild horses like down around Heber AZ that you could put a bridle on.

Glad to know I'm one of your favorites! I get called a jackass regularly, and I live in the desert.?

I've seen many of the 'wild' horses Bluehair speaks about around Heber, AZ. Strange that some have brands. I assume a few escaped during the past large wildfires.

Who said horses are not good. Open a season and there will be a lot of ground horse and jerky. ??

They've Been Trying To Catch Several People That's Been Shooting Horses Around The State!

I Wonder How Good They'll Be At Catching People Shooting Wolves?

In Appendix B on page 9 of the Decsion Memo from the Gila National on Feral Cattle Removal you can read where a contract was awarded for feral horse removal from the Apache-Sitgraves Forest in AZ. A little math shows $111K was available in 2021-2022.
The contract is on going this year.
The "Beloved" horses can't be culled from the air like cattle because of public perception.
Environmentalists lobby our lawmakers to enact policy/regulations that have no science and then we the taxpayer are stuck with the cost of cleaning it up.

In Appendix B on page 9 of the Decsion Memo from the Gila National on Feral Cattle Removal you can read where a contract was awarded for feral horse removal from the Apache-Sitgraves Forest in AZ. A little math shows $111K was available in 2021-2022.
The contract is on going this year.
The "Beloved" horses can't be culled from the air like cattle because of public perception.
Environmentalists lobby our lawmakers to enact policy/regulations that have no science and then we the taxpayer are stuck with the cost of cleaning it up.
If you read the wild horse and burro act it actually says that any horse that is passed up for adoption three times is to be destroyed the most humane cost effective way possible. The act is never followed.

I've seen many of the 'wild' horses Bluehair speaks about around Heber, AZ. Strange that some have brands. I assume a few escaped during the past large wildfires.
I don't know about AZ, but up here after the horse lovers got the ban on horse slaughter passed in congress people started dumping horses that they could no longer take care of on public land.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom