whtf goin on in the gila

freaknasty

just here sittin at home ( honey doo's) gettin reports on the hunts goin on all over particularly gila and i ve heard some disturbing news,about someone flying around chasin all the animals W.H.T.F.
I've talked to 5 people that said they saw the plane by loco mt. to coony prerie. to coolins park. to blk mnt. to elk mnt.and probly more places than that just busting up all the animals

get the lead out of your a$$ and lets protect what precious resources we got someone knows who this is.

Havent' heard that, but have heard the moisture has helped and its shaping up to be an outstanding year.

I too have seen a remarkable amount of low-flying aircraft in the Gila region this year. Antler growth has been tremendous and I know a few guys/outfitters who are trying to keep tabs on some monsters via flying. That and everyone and there brother has been scouting from the air. I've even had one particular outfitter resort to hazing elk in the past (North end of 16C).

So if you are going to be flying before or during hunts and doing anything unethical, remember that there are lots of guys on the ground packing video equipment and sat phones.

The only way to make the unethical flight behavior stop is to turn in tail numbers and provide video and/or photographic evidence. I've got no beef with guys doing it right and respecting those on the ground and NOT hazing critters.

-Cody

http://themeateater.com/
www.streamflies.com

>I too have seen a remarkable
>amount of low-flying aircraft in
>the Gila region this year.
> Antler growth has been
>tremendous and I know a
>few guys/outfitters who are trying
>to keep tabs on some
>monsters via flying. That
>and everyone and there brother
>has been scouting from the
>air. I've even had
>one particular outfitter resort to
>hazing elk in the past
>(North end of 16C).
>
>So if you are going to
>be flying before or during
>hunts and doing anything unethical,
>remember that there are lots
>of guys on the ground
>packing video equipment and sat
>phones.
>
>The only way to make the
>unethical flight behavior stop is
>to turn in tail numbers
>and provide video and/or photographic
>evidence. I've got no
>beef with guys doing it
>right and respecting those on
>the ground and NOT hazing
>critters.
>
>-Cody
>
>Ditto, they have been flying during hunts here too.
>
>http://themeateater.com/
>www.streamflies.com

He is what I would do...

1. Turn them in if they are harrassing elk
2. Get in front of the plane and where the elk are going. Nobody would waste time flying on a small bull. I would run like hell towards that plane. Gotta be a giant they are looking at.

I witnessed the same thing on September 14 SW of Collins Park. Red and White plane circling for several minutes at low altitude. I chalked it up to the wolf plane doing location/telemetry surveys, and certainly all the places you mentioned have been on the recent telemetry reports. Could have been an outfitter too I guess. Rather annoying I might add.

when i was hunting 16d in sept i saw a couple planes. down by o bar o mountain and salvation peak area i saw the same plane 2 days in a row and i scouted there a couple extra days because i was thinking the same thing if they keep coming back they are watching a big bull seen some really nice ones but day before my hunt i found a 380" bull somewhere else and stuck with him i was helping 2 old men hunt on the northern end of the unit by sand canyon and golvina canyon a plane was hittin it up pretty hard to. i still think aerial scouting should be illegal

Chances are better that the planes you saw were mexican wolf related than it is someone scouting and or watching a big bull.

The areas you discribe have way more wolves than they do big bulls!

328185287_505974496097048_525674824_n.jpg

919big_bull_down.jpg

your right no big bulls in that area this was just a little guy

Congrats on a heck of a bull. Was just wondering wuts in that white bottle. I cant bring the pic up clear enough.

> Was just wondering wuts
>in that white bottle. I
>cant bring the pic up
>clear enough.

Looks like a wind puffer bottle to me, but when I zoom in I think it says "Cow-N-heat Mouthwash".

That is a great bull, just not sure I can do what it takes.

Game and Fish Rule states that you cannot take or attempt to take game over ground baited with any matierial or scent distributed there to entice the animals. However, scent masking agens may be used on one's person, but not to attract big game. If he was using it as a scent masking agent on himself then it is ok as I read it.
jeff

As the previous poster stated, it is illegal to;

"Take or attempt to take game species over ground baited with any material or scent distributed there to entice the animals, except quail on private land. Scent-masking agents may be used on one?s person, but not to attract big game."

That last sentence of the regulation is ambiguos and confusing to me. If you use skunk, fox, scent killers, earth or sage wafers those are clearly scent masking agents. Elk urine can obviosly mask your scent but cow urine could also be viewed as an attractant for bull elk. I've always wondered how the NMG&F views the use of spray on scents derived from elk urine. Does anyone know the answer or would this be up to the discretion of the game warden in the field?

I think the regulation should be clarified. My two cents...

Horniac

Lets just say that the G&F is a stereotypical federal agency when it comes to this issue. Doesnt make a dang bit of sense to the average man, but it obviously made since to a law maker at some point or another.

I would imagine that it would be left up to the warden's interpretation (or his view of life that day) if someone was to ever get checked on this issue.

Good thing about laws that are vague is they are open to interpretation.....bad thing about vague laws is they are open to interpretation.

jeff

Thanks for the "clarification". I guess I always interpreted this vauge law to strictly, but I can see how if applied to ones body it could be considered a masking scent rather than attractant. Not really much different that stepping on a fresh pile of elk droppings!

I sprayed it on my hat... Some people get to ridiculous we didn't bait him with the elk urine we called him in have it all on video blowing things way out of proportion

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom