Why are so many contractors

DeerMadness

Long Time Member
Flaky and can't finish a job, dont show up, tell you they have done something they haven't or say they will and don't?
Siding contractors seem the worst.

Being a contractor for many years I used to tell people that hiring unlicensed contractors and illegals was like playing russian roulette. But these days it's even the same with licensed contractors.

Now I'm at the point where I'm just over dealing with the helps crappy work ethic. I closed the company down and I'm starting a pest control business. Only me and the kids for now on.

What I think is that people who build things tend to be rather self sufficient and independent, frequently have poor people skills, and often end up working for themselves because they aren’t very good at working for others.

Kind of like the person behind the counter in your favorite gun shop.

That doesn’t make my fellow contractors bad. I do always get a kick out of a contractor who doesn’t think you need a contract. :)

DeerMadness I have found that by going to the local hardware-lumber store, that you do business with, and inquire from them who is reliable and does quality work is your best bet.
Most hardware-lumber stores hear word of mouth about good and bad contractors and can steer you in the right direction.
Over the years I have used contractors about 6-7 times for the two houses we own and only had a minor problem with one that was installing custom cabinets in our home in the hills. The others were great and we will call them back for future jobs.
Catfishkev is right about poor contractors in today's market. The building trade is on a big boom right now and the fly by nights flood the market trying to get their cut of the pie.
The only problem you may run into with getting a good one is the fact most of the good ones are booked for several months or more and you may have to wait until they can fit you into their schedule to start the job.
RELH

Thanks, I had one big company tell me a price that was astronomical. Contractor # 2 made excuses and promises for 6 months. Contractor #3 bid the price quite higher than # 2 but prices had risen only 15%. I decided I wanted my home to get done and feel proud so I agreed. He showed up promptly and did it nice except for a couple trim spots that don't fit as nicely as the rest. He cries now that he has been sick from the 1st vaccine etc and said I was harassing him. I guess I have some choices to live with it or push hard.

Today's society is all about ME, MY RIGHTS and NO ACCOUNTABILITY to others. This attitude shows up big time in the work force and service industry.
I have a small (father and son) hvac business and I refuse to expand just trying to maintain
the old time personal service that is becoming extinct. After 25+ years of this my biggest problem is never having enough hours in the day or days in the week.
I'm sure not getting rich, but when I happen to see a customer somewhere, I certainly enjoy their smile and handshake rather than trying to hide and avoid. ?

There's no magic formula to solve this equation. Money is the motivator. Pay for the material when it hits the ground. Pay them for the labor when it's finished to your satisfaction. From a 30yr contractor.

What I think is that people who build things tend to be rather self sufficient and independent, frequently have poor people skills, and often end up working for themselves because they aren’t very good at working for others.

That doesn’t make my fellow contractors bad. I do always get a kick out of a contractor who doesn’t think you need a contract. :)
Yes a handshake and out the door and you know I will do a great job. Now give me 50% down and I'll disappear.
I hear it all as a contractor the only thing I have going for me is my age, in construction they think when you are old that you are way smarter and know much more.
True in some cases but not All......

BTW I do work also when healthy. I have built 160' feet of 6' Cedar Fence, built a 10x14' shed barn style , laminate flooring, tape and texture new walls, lighting and receptacles, decking, concrete, chicken coop,bathroom vanity replacement. I have fixed this place up considerably on my own. I just couldn't tackle any siding.

Last edited:
Similar experience to RELH we hired a guy to do a complete kitchen remodel after hearing very good recommendations. He was booked four months out. When he go to us, he worked non-stop. Showed up when he said he would and did excellent work at a fair price. We have sent several potential customers his way. I think he is now booked more than 6 months out. It pays to wait for a good contractor. Don't get in a hurry.

There's no magic formula to solve this equation. Money is the motivator. Pay for the material when it hits the ground. Pay them for the labor when it's finished to your satisfaction. From a 30yr contractor.

That's how I roll as well.

That way the material is the customers. And the contractor isn't the bank

Similar experience to RELH we hired a guy to do a complete kitchen remodel after hearing very good recommendations. He was booked four months out. When he go to us, he worked non-stop. Showed up when he said he would and did excellent work at a fair price. We have sent several potential customers his way. I think he is now booked more than 6 months out. It pays to wait for a good contractor. Don't get in a hurry.

There is a flow. I'm always amazed at the "I just passed 4 way, I'm ready for sheetrock" calls. You could have been budded out and scheduled after rough framing, but you wait, then need it "next week" because carpet is coming end of the month.

Then they search until they find the guy that can be there tomorrow. During a building boom, guys that ain't booked out, it's for a reason.

My advice, call the SUPPLY YARD. Not Home Depot or Lowes. The supply yard knows the guys. The know who does the type of project your doing. AND MOST IMPORTANT, they know who PAYS THEIR BILL. Guys not paying supply yard, bring that lien to you.

Having said that, I never hire anyone that doesn't have their name as part of their buisness. In 09' I watched a bunch of crooks and thieves change names to some generic one, as they screwed supply yards, screwed their employees, and screwed their customers.

What about the ones who are really smart, ambitious, and don't have the time or patience to deal with a whiney boss/employer and their policies...?
There are a few of those, and I know some. Something about seeing your name on the side of the truck appeals to a certain type of person.

If you are familiar with the industry, and you want to see all of the people you mention in one spot, attend the Beavers banquet at the JW in LA. 2500 type A egomaniacs (and their sons) all dressed up in their tux for the swordfight. :rolleyes:

We are having an egress window cut in, and installed in a basement window tomorrow. The contractor comes highly recommended, and I have looked at his work previously. He called and said "I hope you don't mind, but we really like to get started around 0700 in the morning, as you never what you will encounter, and we would like to be prepared and only inconvenience you for one day!"

A welcome change from the ones that say 0800, and only show up around 1100, then have to go get materials.

I am having a house built right now. So far so good on the contractor I hired. I did a lot of research and the number one complaint I see is the job took too long. I am sure there are plenty of good contractors that get behind for what ever reason but half the time it looks like the customer has unrealistic expectations. My contractor says our house should be done next winter so I wont be disappointed till next summer.

Thanks, I had one big company tell me a price that was astronomical. Contractor # 2 made excuses and promises for 6 months. Contractor #3 bid the price quite higher than # 2 but prices had risen only 15%. I decided I wanted my home to get done and feel proud so I agreed. He showed up promptly and did it nice except for a couple trim spots that don't fit as nicely as the rest. He cries now that he has been sick from the 1st vaccine etc and said I was harassing him. I guess I have some choices to live with it or push hard.

Have you paid him in full DM?

I fit part of that description, I'm self sufficient and independent. A contractor I sub from told me the other day almost every homeowner I work with makes a point to say good things about me to him. That "Minnesota nice" thing has stuck with me I guess, so I think my people skills are solid. I went on my own nearly 30yrs ago because the ceiling was too low working for somebody else, and I knew I could do it better than they were. I shed all my employees during the Obama crash due to lack of work at the time. I've been happier workin alone the past 13yrs not having to deal with that whole exercise in futility, the lack of dependability, the steady stream of broken or missing tools, the lack of work ethic. Maybe that makes me not good at working with others??‍♂️ I know my ability to deal with stupid has rapidly diminished with age. The last time I signed a contract was 20yrs ago. The contractor proceeded to bounce a $30k check to me, twice! I generally drop my tools in a basement and ask for a check for the materials. I figure having my tools in their house gives them some piece of mind when they hand me a check. Then by days end the material is in their house as well, and I'll know quickly if their check is good, giving me piece of mind. It's sad we have to think that way on both sides of the deal, but it is what it is. I get the balance when I'm finished and generally factor in 1 comeback, be it something they changed, something I missed, something another sub did or changed, or a new inspector with a quirk. There aren't a lot of comebacks anymore, after 30yrs I can anticipate most of those things and save myself the trouble. I'm about as busy as I've ever been, and grateful for it.

There is a flow. I'm always amazed at the "I just passed 4 way, I'm ready for sheetrock" calls. You could have been budded out and scheduled after rough framing, but you wait, then need it "next week" because carpet is coming end of the month.

Then they search until they find the guy that can be there tomorrow. During a building boom, guys that ain't booked out, it's for a reason.

My advice, call the SUPPLY YARD. Not Home Depot or Lowes. The supply yard knows the guys. The know who does the type of project your doing. AND MOST IMPORTANT, they know who PAYS THEIR BILL. Guys not paying supply yard, bring that lien to you.

Having said that, I never hire anyone that doesn't have their name as part of their buisness. In 09' I watched a bunch of crooks and thieves change names to some generic one, as they screwed supply yards, screwed their employees, and screwed their customers.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think you see a lot of fly by night type guys in residential construction because it is easy entry and not as regulated as other construction sectors. The more successful guys in any construction sector likely became contractors because they saw an opportunity to make more more money than they could working for somebody else and also possibly because of the additional independence.

That is
I fit part of that description, I'm self sufficient and independent. A contractor I sub from told me the other day almost every homeowner I work with makes a point to say good things about me to him. That "Minnesota nice" thing has stuck with me I guess, so I think my people skills are solid. I went on my own nearly 30yrs ago because the ceiling was too low working for somebody else, and I knew I could do it better than they were. I shed all my employees during the Obama crash due to lack of work at the time. I've been happier workin alone the past 13yrs not having to deal with that whole exercise in futility, the lack of dependability, the steady stream of broken or missing tools, the lack of work ethic. Maybe that makes me not good at working with others??‍♂️ I know my ability to deal with stupid has rapidly diminished with age. The last time I signed a contract was 20yrs ago. The contractor proceeded to bounce a $30k check to me, twice! I generally drop my tools in a basement and ask for a check for the materials. I figure having my tools in their house gives them some piece of mind when they hand me a check. Then by days end the material is in their house as well, and I'll know quickly if their check is good, giving me piece of mind. It's sad we have to think that way on both sides of the deal, but it is what it is. I get the balance when I'm finished and generally factor in 1 comeback, be it something they changed, something I missed, something another sub did or changed, or a new inspector with a quirk. There aren't a lot of comebacks anymore, after 30yrs I can anticipate most of those things and save myself the trouble. I'm about as busy as I've ever been, and grateful for it.
Good to hear that DW. I had a business years ago and always made sure I showed up on time and I was quick if anyone needed something looked at or had questions. I used a little more material on their property so it would definitely look good plus I never killed any plants, bushes or shrubs or trees. Happy customers spread the news.

I got into contracting quite by accident. I was working for the Chart House Restaurants in management for 7 years, and was starting to get burned out working ungodly hours. I transferred to one of their restaurants in Redondo Beach, California. It wasn't long before a storm that generated some very high surf, coupled with a very high tide. It took out the lower section of the restaurant. We we still able to operate, but the lower section had to be rebuilt. I don't know how many of you guys have been to a Chart House Restaurant before, but they were built using a mixer of exotic woods and Redwood. The contractor they hired was from San Diego, and he and his crew did a good job. Eventually, I decided to go work for him. Soon, we were working on Chart Houses in Dana Point, La Jolla, Westwood, Malibu, Long Beach, and Marina Del Rey. It was a lot of fun, and learned a lot. After four years, I decided to go on my own, and got my California Contractor's License. For 37 years I have done mostly residential work, ranging from small bathrooms to a 10,000 square foot house. I can honestly say that the number of bad clients I have had, I can count them all on one hand, and only one of those did I have to go after.
I have been pretty fortunate to work in very wealthy areas like Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Bel-Air, Pacific Palisades, Hancock Park,
Santa Monica and so on. What is so nice about working in such areas is one, the clients are very well off, and two, they have high end taste and the designs can be very challenging. I have never advertised, nor have I knocked on architects doors. I have some of the same clients for over 30 years now. I have a lot of Industry clients, Doctors and Lawyers, so the money is never a problem.
My biggest problem used to be bidding against unlicensed contractors or licensed contractors who would not carry any insurance.
The hard part today is the physical part. I always used to participate in the demolition, forming the foundation, framing, finish work like hanging doors, trim work, etc. Two back surgeries, one neck surgery, four hand surgeries later, and a third back surgery this winter. It's getting harder for a 65 year old!
I have always been a stickler for showing up on time and treating the clients like I would like to be treated. It has served me well because all my work is word of mouth.
I hope work has been steady for everyone during the pandemic.
I am about to hit a busy period unlike any I've had in the last 12-15 years in sheer volume.

I got into contracting quite by accident. I was working for the Chart House Restaurants in management for 7 years, and was starting to get burned out working ungodly hours. I transferred to one of their restaurants in Redondo Beach, California. It wasn't long before a storm that generated some very high surf, coupled with a very high tide. It took out the lower section of the restaurant. We we still able to operate, but the lower section had to be rebuilt. I don't know how many of you guys have been to a Chart House Restaurant before, but they were built using a mixer of exotic woods and Redwood. The contractor they hired was from San Diego, and he and his crew did a good job. Eventually, I decided to go work for him. Soon, we were working on Chart Houses in Dana Point, La Jolla, Westwood, Malibu, Long Beach, and Marina Del Rey. It was a lot of fun, and learned a lot. After four years, I decided to go on my own, and got my California Contractor's License. For 37 years I have done mostly residential work, ranging from small bathrooms to a 10,000 square foot house. I can honestly say that the number of bad clients I have had, I can count them all on one hand, and only one of those did I have to go after.
I have been pretty fortunate to work in very wealthy areas like Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Bel-Air, Pacific Palisades, Hancock Park,
Santa Monica and so on. What is so nice about working in such areas is one, the clients are very well off, and two, they have high end taste and the designs can be very challenging. I have never advertised, nor have I knocked on architects doors. I have some of the same clients for over 30 years now. I have a lot of Industry clients, Doctors and Lawyers, so the money is never a problem.
My biggest problem used to be bidding against unlicensed contractors or licensed contractors who would not carry any insurance.
The hard part today is the physical part. I always used to participate in the demolition, forming the foundation, framing, finish work like hanging doors, trim work, etc. Two back surgeries, one neck surgery, four hand surgeries later, and a third back surgery this winter. It's getting harder for a 65 year old!
I have always been a stickler for showing up on time and treating the clients like I would like to be treated. It has served me well because all my work is word of mouth.
I hope work has been steady for everyone during the pandemic.
I am about to hit a busy period unlike any I've had in the last 12-15 years in sheer volume.
Thanks for sharing your story, enjoyed the read and be safe out there.

Been trying to get ours to install a Hot Water Heater for 3 weeks now.
He likes to disappear for long periods of time.
Looks like I'm gonna do it myself.

EVILNR at least I'm not the only one. I had a contractor take months to start and finish countertops about 5 years ago. I fought Lowes until they dropped 1k off the price and 1k off the price of a Barn Shed I was buying.

EVILNR at least I'm not the only one. I had a contractor take months to start and finish countertops about 5 years ago. I fought Lowes until they dropped 1k off the price and 1k off the price of a Barn Shed I was buying.
If you keep having contractor problems most likely the problem is you. Kinda like the saying “if you think everyone around you is an arsehole than you’re the arsehole”.

Full disclosure I’m a general contractor. ?

Hire the best contractor you can find and don't haggle over price. Buying the countertops thru Lowe's is the first indication you screwed up.

When we built our house I hired the highest priced trim carpenter in the area, we were lucky to even get him because construction was still slow. He was about 50% more per hour than most, I timed him hanging interior doors one day and his hourly cost per door was about 20% less than if I'd bid a flat rate per door. In addition I think I could have put the scraps from the entire job in one Rubbermaid trash can. Some guys sound cheap until they're asking for extra material every day.

Always get a signed contract. It protects the contractor and the client. I was a licensed contractor for about 3 years. A cabinet and millworkers license from California.

If you keep having contractor problems most likely the problem is you. Kinda like the saying “if you think everyone around you is an arsehole than you’re the arsehole”.

Full disclosure I’m a general contractor. ?
But I wasn't an arsehole. I do know those people though. I treat contractors with respect unless they don't.

Good fast and cheap. You can only have two!

If you want it done good and fast, it ain't gonna be cheap.

If you want it done fast and cheap, it ain't gonna be good.

If you want it cheap and good, it ain't gonna get done fast!

A warning about using Lowes or Home Depot as your contractor. I had Lowes replace the flooring in a vacation home I own in another state. Job was supposed to take two days and it took 30 and price increased 30%.

Lowes sub-contracted to one installation company who sub-contracted to another company. Communication was almost non-existent. It was a nightmare.

I have talked to other homeowners in the area that said Home Depot was just as bad or worse.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom