Why bother?......

M

manny15

Why do we ie: big hearted AMERICAN'S, keep putting our generous hands and money where it's not appreciated, here we are offering a helping hand and money to Indonesia, and they just want us to leave the money on the door step of their capital and leave with a foot up our militaries arse...

Why do we do it, are we a glutton for punishment or what!!!!!!! I'm a Christian, and believe we should try to love our enemies, but when they don't appreciate our help why bother?..

I think we ought to take care of our own back yard first!, it's been neglected for years, Trillions upon Trillions go to all these places and we get the shaft! Keep the money at home, and bring the military home also,JMO...Greg

Sometimes people who need the most help, don't realize they needed help until later. Unfortunately, I don't know that this would apply to current circumstances. I hope that we find a way to help those that we can as much as we can, but realize that you can't always help others without taking care of yourself first. It applies to people as individuals, businesses, and probably nations, but we haven't seen this applied at the national level.

Out of curiosity, did we receive any kind of aid from other countries after the September 11 attack, the 3 hurricanes in Florida, or the horrible wildfires in the west (2002?)? This is seriously a question as I don't know that we had, but am curious.

I didn't realize these people are our enemies Manny..... Since when have we been at war with Indonesia?

That point made however, I would guess that the average Indonesian is GREATLY appreciative of the help we are offering. Just because their government wants to exert some sort of control over the relief agencies & forgein service members there, to me doesn't mean that the help isn't appreciated.

I would guess that if the shoe was on the other foot, and there were 1000s of people & agencies from all over the world converging on American soil to help us with a disaster, that the U.S. government would also want to have some fairly tight control over who went where & why. I'm just trying to point-out the other side...

TRC1, that's a good question. I'm not sure if any other countries contributed to us, but I doubt it (except in terms of maybe 'intellegence' info after 9/11). Likely simply to economics.... We're richer than most (or all...).

S.

Well, Manny, the idea behind "Christian" giving is to give like Christ, deeply, and without regard for merit, only need. Sometimes you will be taken advantage of, and sometimes the recipient will not be grateful, but they will answer for that to God, and that does not diminish how pleasing your generosity was to God.

HB

Hoosierbuck....good point, but my anger got the best of me at the time......

Stanley"

A Quote for you to read..."In the early sixties, Indonesia was a dirty word in the world of capitalist development. Expropriations, confiscations and rampant nationalism led economists and businessmen alike to fear that the fabled riches in the Indies -- oil, rubber and tin -- were all but lost to the fiery Sukarno and the twenty million followers of the Peking-oriented Indonesian Communist Party (PKI).

In my understanding Indonesia is a Communist (anti-American) country...thus the assumption enemy, perhaps enemy was to harsh of a word...?...

I agree with taking care of ourselves for and formost.. But I would be willing to bet as much as we think it is bad here we are still light years ahead of the rest of the world when it comes to living conditions. When I was in the Military and visted a lot of other countries around the world it really made me relize just how lucky I was that I was able to live here in the USA.. Yes it is not perfect here but I would not trade my place here in the states for anywhere else in the world!!!!

John

Ditto HullinPhx' I spent 9 months in europe back in the late 70's couldn't wait to get back home and buck hunt again.......LOL.....we do have a better life here in the states' straight up!........

What if we just sent food, water, medical aid, etc. and ZERO $$$$$. I bet they would be pissed off to no end. I know the UN would be mad cause they would not be able to skim off the top.

I agree that one of the principles that are shared by U.S. citizens and christians and other religions is to help those less fortunate than ourselves. Love thy neighbor?? Sound familiar. Since when has being american become take care of yourself first. I thought being an american was doing what is right for all of those oppressed. Know any Jews that are not greatful for our intervention in WWII?? There will always be people that feel that we go too far to help others, I just feel thats what America stands for, giving life and hope to those less fortunate. Do you really think we've got it that bad??

Related thoughts supposedly written by Robin Williams:

I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of one plan for peace. "Books, not Bombs" won't work. The head mullahs won't let anyone read them. If they do, they poke their eyes out.

Here's the plan:

1) The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past &present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini and the rest of them 'good old boys'. We will never "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No more sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France would welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself, don't hide here. Asylum would not ever be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers.

5) No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non-polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else.

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere". They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army. The people who need it most get very little, if any anyway.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, it would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.

Now, ain't that a winner of a plan ??

The problem is...and i'm not saying that this will happen in this situation, but it seems that a lot of these countries we help out take the money we give them, and use it against us in the longrun. Take afghan for example. We trained half the terrorists that we are fighting against.

Funny, I don't remember the UN sending aid to Florida when they had 5 consecutive hurricans hit them last year.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom