Why Hunting?

I had a good chat with my friend Andrew* regarding hunting in Africa. The discussion circled around, what is the main pulling force towards hunters returning to the hunting grounds (not limited to Africa) and I am sharing with you the response. "Philip, the trophy for me and the thing that keeps calling me back is the sunrise, the sunset, the sounds, the smell, the sun, the sky, the people, the animals and birds and insects. The chance to escape to a different place and different way of life that I crave.
The thrill of the hunt, the waking up and not knowing what is going to happen or what I'm going to see, the sweat and dust, the adrenaline and excitement, the disappointment and respect for the wildlife.
All of those things and more are what makes me want to return."
You can add your responses as well, and I will also share with you some of the responses I will get from the members of the family.
IMG_20210126_090051_080.jpg

IMG_20201231_203446_833.jpg

IMG_20201201_071350_276.jpg

IMG_20201006_120919_727.jpg

IMG_20200803_085032_519.jpg

IMG_20200803_085032_520.jpg

IMG_20200803_085032_518.jpg

So true! In 2019 I had a Colorado early rifle tag. I hiked in 4 miles on the 2nd Saturday and was about 30 minutes early. I sat down and watched the incredible sunrise over the Colorado Rockies and thought about how lucky I am.

So true! In 2019 I had a Colorado early rifle tag. I hiked in 4 miles on the 2nd Saturday and was about 30 minutes early. I sat down and watched the incredible sunrise over the Colorado Rockies and thought about how lucky I am.
Being in harmony with nature. Sometimes we overlook the beauties of the environment due to our busy schedules, sometimes we need to slow down and appreciate. Thank you Founder.

I made my first and hopefully not my last Safari in February 2020 right before the Covid shut down most everything. It was a hunt I had wished and dreamed of for many years. Being an early riser I would get up each morning enjoy my first cup of coffee and listen to the sounds of Africa as the sun came up. Hearing the lions roar, bird calls I had never heard before, and seeing the numerous birds, insects and wildlife fulfilled my dreams. I feel fortunate to have hunted and enjoyed the outdoors over my 64 years. Memories that will never be taken from me. I look forward to keep sharing these types of memories with my grandsons.

I made my first and hopefully not my last Safari in February 2020 right before the Covid shut down most everything. It was a hunt I had wished and dreamed of for many years. Being an early riser I would get up each morning enjoy my first cup of coffee and listen to the sounds of Africa as the sun came up. Hearing the lions roar, bird calls I had never heard before, and seeing the numerous birds, insects and wildlife fulfilled my dreams. I feel fortunate to have hunted and enjoyed the outdoors over my 64 years. Memories that will never be taken from me. I look forward to keep sharing these types of memories with my grandsons.
Thank you for sharing. I believe hunting raises the sixth sense in us. We are able to hear, feel and smell beyond our recognition. That feeling can only be explained through experience.

Africa is sensory overload in so many ways. Swart, being a first time hunter there, described some of what makes Africa special.

I made my first African hunt in Zimbabwe in 1983. I still have vivid memories of that trip that will never go away. My 1st dangerous game was a Cape buffalo bull and every time I look at that mount, I recall crawling on our knees behind the feeding bull and him suddenly turning broadside and looking at us from just 13 yards away. A mopane tree was covering him where I needed to shoot, so I put my sights just forward and waited for him to take a step. When he did, my 458 went off and after a short run I had my first buffalo. There are so many special memories like that, ranging from dung beetles to elephants and everything in between.

My most recent African memory was made just 14 months ago, sharing my son’s last minute success after he had taken a fantastic old buffalo bull he had been pursuing for nearly a week. He shot that bull after the sun had already set on the final day of our safari. I’ll never forget the hug he gave me in the dark while thanking me for the safari and telling me if he ever gets back to Africa, that he really only needs to hunt buffalo.

I just sent a deposit a few days ago for my next safari. 16 days in western Tanzania. I cannot wait to get back in the bush and be on the tracks of buffalo again, or sitting in a blind waiting for a big Tom Leopard to show up. I hope to keep making more African memories as long as I can.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom