Why I am done with Professional Sports

caelkhnter

Very Active Member
Nearly 30 years ago Charles Barklely got it absolutely right when he proclaimed that he was not a role model. AS he clearly explained: "I'm not paid to be a role model. I'm paid to wreak havoc on the basketball court. Parents should be role models. Just because I can dunk a basketball doesn't mean I should raise your kids."

Today, 30 years later, professional sports and their celebrity athletes, with the assistance of the mainstream media and the internet, have advanced the process of diminishing the influence of traditional authority figures, such as parents and previously recognized leaders, and instead strengthen the reach and impact of celebrities and professional sports.

While American sports have never been more influential, they have also never been more vulnerable to foreign influence. Their partnership with Global brands in their desire to build global audiences have given foreign countries a pathway to manipulate American sports and culture.

Look at how China, with its 1.4 billion consumers, rules the National basketball Association and its parent company Nike, the same way it rules Hollywood. The fact is, Nike, not the NBA, controls basketball. One can make a fair argument that the NBA is nothing more than an in-house marketing department of Nike.

However both Nike and the NBA kowtow to China, which explains their complete silence on the horrific human rights abuses inside China and the suppression of Hong Kong freedom fighters by China's Communist government. Nike's and the NBA's China agenda helps explain why Nike pitchmen Lebron James and:Colin Kaepernick enthusiastically smear the United States as inherently racist and evil.

Kaepernick's National Anthem Defiance in 2016 gave the left and opportunity to politicize football, American's new national pastime, and forced it into the kind of "progressive" posture lane already commonplace in the NBA and Hollywood. 4 years after Kaepernick first knelt, the Leftist mob has forced the National Football League, Major League Baseball, the National Hockey League, and the NBA to take to their own knees and pay homage to this dishonest Black Lives Matter narrative on police brutality..

The entire professional sports world-a culture that traditionally celebrated victories, meritocracy, colorblindness, and patriotism,-has suddenly immersed itself in black victimization and left-wing radicalism. This immersion threatens to do permanent damage to American culture as a whole. It certainly has undermined National pride. A country that no longer believes in its founding ideals cannot prosper and survive.

Pro-BLM athletes today have moved beyond the idea of a role model that was debated back in 1993, the idea of modeling behavior to be imitated, such as self-reliance, hard work, responsibility, and parenthood. Through the power of social media, to which they are addicted, these modern role models exert influence by promoting commercial products and political causes.

Charles Barclay was right 30 years ago. Parents, not athletes, should be role models. Today the situation is even worse, with sports further dividing an already dangerously divided nation, rather than providing the unifying and even healing force as sports had historically done.

Well said caelk! The left infects, politicizes & destroys everything it touches; there is literally no where left to go to get away from it. If you remember the left/BLM recently said that if you visit a national park you're racist and have white priveledge.

My bet is the NFL will pay the most severe price. It is Americas game. As such it stands to lose the most when America turns away.

I thought this might be an "I hung up my jockstrap because......" thread by a battle-worn athalete. But it's a change the channel thread. :cautious:

Who won last night?

Ok, I made it thru week one without watching an entire game. I tried to watch 2 games on Sunday, but turned them off the first time I got lectured for being a racist. Which I resent when it comes from pampered multi-millionaire athletes. :mad:

This is probably the first time in 40 years I didn't watch a game. One week at a time.

They will have to go totally broke to have a comeback, I’ve seen the fun days of sports Joe Namath ,Madden and others

Seen the start of the chiefs/texans game last week. After the first 10 minutes of BLM crap preluding the national anthem then the anthem fiasco we turned our attention to elsewhere. Not going be part of that nonsense. I got better things to do.

I flipped the channel to the SF Giants game the other day. Someone was interviewing a player in the locker room who had a Black Lives Matter T-shirt on. By now everyone knows what BLM really stands for. I will not support that. Bye Bye!

You won't see any nonsense watchin rodeo.

Yup!!
My boys, and now all my grandkids were and are heavily into Rodeo and 4H.
So I attend a lot of rodeos and fairs.
It’s definitely the last of what I think true America
Is.
A short little prayer before all rodeos, American flags waving everywhere, when the national anthem is played every single person stands with hats off with their hand over their hearts, always a loud cheer at the end of the anthem,friendly and respectful people in abundance.
It always does my heart good and Gives me a great sense of patriotism and knowing that all is not lost yet.

I normally don't watch football that much...wrong time of the year.

Going to watch every game I can this year.

good for you Buzz...you're a true patriot.

Never been a patriots fan, didn't like Brady even though he's probably one of the top 3 QB's to ever play, and still don't like Belichick.

Raiders fan since 1976...

Great opening week...the Raiders won and the donkey's lost.

Yup!!
My boys, and now all my grandkids were and are heavily into Rodeo and 4H.
So I attend a lot of rodeos and fairs.
It’s definitely the last of what I think true America
Is.
A short little prayer before all rodeos, American flags waving everywhere, when the national anthem is played every single person stands with hats off with their hand over their hearts, always a loud cheer at the end of the anthem,friendly and respectful people in abundance.
It always does my heart good and Gives me a great sense of patriotism and knowing that all is not lost yet.

DCF0487F-8105-4757-A914-63885BBC6EFA.jpeg

A couple hundred words of beating around the bush. I looks to me like 17% of the fans are sending a message that we want to tune in to watch sports, not politics.

There is a very simple answer to the problem of the pro athletes disrespecting the flag. Play the anthem and show proper respect while they are still in the dressing room. They can kneel down , cry, lay on the floor or whatever in hell makes them feel good and no one but their coaches would see them.

This was in Nephi Utah last night at the PRCA Extreme bulls finals. That would be FOUR WORLD CHAMPION COWBOYS out helping local law enforcement officers, hold the giant flag up that was delivered by parachute to the arena. No kneeling or protests. AND THEY ALL TOOK OFF THIER HATS!!!

Made me proud as hell to be an old retired bull rider.
FF9CC4F5-76B6-42D4-ACC7-A3C44EF05EB3.jpeg

People of all genders, colors, creeds, ages, political persuasions, and social statuses can love America. Patriotism and the flag are not owned by one group or another. Saying otherwise is about the most unpatriotic thing imaginable as it defies the basic foundation on which our country was built.

As the primary principle of free speech says, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Attacking those with whom one disagrees, which so often happens from both sides today, is the epitome of anti-liberty.

If you don't like what somebody says, don't support them, but certainly never question their patriotism because of it.

PS. Speaking of WORLD CHAMPIONS holding the flag

download.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
At this point in history, if you are supporting organizations like BLM who call for the total dismantling of America, it's fair to question your patriotism.

And if trends continue, it will be interesting to see how woke the players stay. Those ratings dont spawn high advertising rates. TV contracts are coming up, and with closed stadiums that will mean pay cuts.

Further. I wonder how long cities, like Las Vegas will continue to pay the stadium bill?

Grizzly if you want to pretend that Lebron holding that flag makes him a patriot good luck with your little fairy tale! When it benefits him and sells more shoes and is popular he poses with the flag. When the left decides the flag represents oppression he knees and disrespects it. Just the fact you compare that idiot to the men in the picture I posted shows how truly little You and other liberals understand about how conservatives feel about our flag and anthem. Freedom of speech is a wonderful, sacred freedom. While I couldn’t disagree with folks like you and your mindset more, I am happy that Americans have the right to state their opinions and stand up for their own principles. What’s laughable is that I HAVE to be tolerant of everything YOU think or I’m a bigot or a racist. What about your side respecting me and what I think? What the left is doing with our
30688E70-E650-4E39-B7A0-87DA964DCEFB.jpeg
flag and anthem is one of the most disrespectful and offensive things I’ve ever witnessed. My 81 year veteran father fought for your and Lebron’s right to talk and act as you please. But It makes him physically sick when people can’t respect the flag and national anthem. Maybe remember that from time to time. Those cowboys I posted sure as hell don’t disrespect the flag! And I have no idea how they vote!!! I know damn well how Lebron will vote!!!

People of all genders, colors, creeds, ages, political persuasions, and social statuses can love America. Patriotism and the flag are not owned by one group or another. Saying otherwise is about the most unpatriotic thing imaginable as it defies the basic foundation on which our country was built.

As the primary principle of free speech says, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." Attacking those with whom one disagrees, which so often happens from both sides today, is the epitome of anti-liberty.

If you don't like what somebody says, don't support them, but certainly never question their patriotism because of it.

View attachment 13273
In this thread Who is attacking pepole about Patriotism! I went back through this thread and did not find one instance of someone saying Lebron or any other professional athlete of lack if patriotism, yes there is a couple of posts about rodeo showing there patriotism. There is some pointing out about these spoiled rich athletes taking the fans for granted and some have pointed out the anti Law Enforcement stance Lebron and other professional athletes have taken but nothing about patriotism.
According to you grizz, if I take a stand and disagree with someone's else's speech that makes me anti liberty.
These professional athletes have a right to share there opinions but keep it off of the field and courts.
Grizz you own a company if your employees was sharing thear opinions during work hours and it was upsetting other employees and also hurting buisness with your clients would you just allow them to continue with thear free speach on company time or would you ask them to share thear opinions on his own time.
I have not watched one minute of MLB, NBA or NFL this current season.
Edit I made this post while DesertRanch was making his post.
I agree with all that you say DesertRanch(y)

View attachment 13273

That was when Labron played for Team USA in the Olympics so it might be a little self serving. It might even have been in his contract.

Lebron is a better dribbler than a spokesman, his mouth dominates his ignorance
View attachment 13273

Wow, quite the Monday night game last night, Darren Waller played a good game. Still up in the air on Carr, hopefully he can just start making quicker decisions.

Solid start for the silver and black...

Didnt get to watch the games on Sunday. The guys I was helping out with their pronghorn hunts had the XM radio all NFL access so we caught a bunch of the games on the radio while driving around glassing pronghorn.

Some good games Sunday as well.

So I read that some NFL coaches got fined for not wearing their masks on the sidelines. So let me get this straight... The players do not have to wear masks on the sidelines but the coaches do? At what point do we quit being the laughing stalk of the world and admit that these stupid mask rules are for image and not for preventing the spread of COVID? Billions of dollars would be lost by the NFL had they shut down the season so to save face and not lose money the NFL decided to cram together 100 people on each sideline and make only the coaches and staff wear masks. "There we fixed it!, let's play ball!"

How ridiculous does it look watching maskless players congregate on the sidelines while their coaches wear masks? The NFL and the NBA should be sitting home like a hell of a lot of small business owners are still doing. These pathetic, kneeling, arrogant pricks would probably file for unemployment too. Why do athletes think their opinions matter so much? It's just an entertainment job, that's it. I don't give a rat's hairy ass what any of them think.

So I read that some NFL coaches got fined for not wearing their masks on the sidelines. So let me get this straight... The players do not have to wear masks on the sidelines but the coaches do? At what point do we quit being the laughing stalk of the world and admit that these stupid mask rules are for image and not for preventing the spread of COVID? Billions of dollars would be lost by the NFL had they shut down the season so to save face and not lose money the NFL decided to cram together 100 people on each sideline and make only the coaches and staff wear masks. "There we fixed it!, let's play ball!"

How ridiculous does it look watching maskless players congregate on the sidelines while their coaches wear masks? The NFL and the NBA should be sitting home like a hell of a lot of small business owners are still doing. These pathetic, kneeling, arrogant pricks would probably file for unemployment too. Why do athletes think their opinions matter so much? It's just an entertainment job, that's it. I don't give a rat's hairy ass what any of them think.
...and rest assured your rant/opinion on mm doesn't make a big rats ass difference to anyone either. In particular to athletes that have a platform you never will, who also make more money in a few months than you will in your life.

You mean nothing...

I bet he means a bunch to his family!!! And his friends!!!!! If you think life is only about money you are a shallow and small man. I pity you
Sure...but he means nothing to the people he's whining about not giving a hairy rats ass about. Fact. Hopefully your pity to people who worship only money extends to corporate America, politicians, etc...because that truly is ALL they care about.

If enough of us stop supporting pro sports it will matter. When the money dries up principles will change pretty damn fast. But I will give ya that there will always be plenty of folks who watch the nba and nfl and could care less about anything but the scoreboard.

I think you underestimate the power of the people Buzz. They should give a rat's ass what I think because I am a potential consumer of their product. WITHOUT CONSUMERS THEY DON'T EXIST. Of course my opinion doesn't matter to them because for some ridiculous reason they think that having money makes them smart too. Using your logic then, Donald Trump would be a genius but your side loves say how stupid he is.

The bottom line is that if people stopped watching the NBA, Lebron James would be out of a job. It is ONLY because people like me have watched sports on TV that he is a multimillionaire. Sure he doesn't care now if we quit watching because he has already made his fortune but he could quite possibly be affecting the fortune of future NBA stars with his babbling bullshit.

Liberals are so batshit crazy that I don't expect things to get any better and as long as these professional athletes are out there cheering it on, I think more and more people will tune them out. You're right though, I don't matter, I'm not black.

Wishful thinking...pro sports and politics are both now nothing more than entertainment to their fans. Neither have cared about their fans for a long time...they both get what they want, power and money...and you play right into their hands. If people truly want to believe they have power, they have to quit being fans and do some of their own thinking. Boycotting pro sports is akin to bitching about politics...neither work and you remain irrelevant, good luck with that.

Wishful thinking...pro sports and politics are both now nothing more than entertainment to their fans. Neither have cared about their fans for a long time...they both get what they want, power and money...and you play right into their hands. If people truly want to believe they have power, they have to quit being fans and do some of their own thinking. Boycotting pro sports is akin to bitching about politics...neither work and you remain irrelevant, good luck with that.
The NFL gets Government subsidies just like Hollywood.

Buzz thear is a big difference ranchers, farmers, airlines and most small businesses we need, we don't need pro sports or Hollywood.
I have Monster Muleys to entertain me.

Exactly ^ that’s why Buzz’s credibility blows. He hasn’t figured out that we don’t need highly paid entertainers. I get along just fine without them and when I WANT to watch a movie or sporting event it’s because of choice not necessity. When these idiots choose to back thugs, rapists and drug addicts instead of LEOs I will CHOOSE to entertain myself by hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, skiing, or any number of other things I can do with my time.

The guy who pushes the button on the fake crowd noise was really on the ball the other day. Some quarterback threw an interception and he pushed the "Boo" button. The entire card board cut out crowd booed.

Of course it matters. We watched the Dems cheer all summer for riots. Until the polls(opinions of their constituents) showed it not popular.

Folks vote with their pocketbook. There are thousands of companies rat are no more because folks "boycotted" them.

I doubt pro sports disappears. But with the right sitting their funding, and the suburban moms not letting their kids play because of head trauma concerns, football will feel the pinch.

But what do I know, Ill just go back to reading my Sears catalog, they are never going away

The NBA already is.

Exactly ^ that’s why Buzz’s credibility blows. He hasn’t figured out that we don’t need highly paid entertainers. I get along just fine without them and when I WANT to watch a movie or sporting event it’s because of choice not necessity. When these idiots choose to back thugs, rapists and drug addicts instead of LEOs I will CHOOSE to entertain myself by hunting, fishing, hiking, biking, skiing, or any number of other things I can do with my time.
Well said ! Back in the day Joe Namath ,Joe Montana Jerry Rice and so on great people just like San Francisco it was a beautiful city when my Grandma took me there , but sh#tty people have destroyed it all .

Yes the NFL will fell the pinch, what happened this year might level the player's salary atleast for a year or two.
The NBA I think could be in real trouble, the organization's that are in LA, New York, Boston and Chicago might get through this fine but small markets organization's like the Jazz, Portland and Indiana losing big season ticket holders and TV advertisements will hurt.
Most of the NFL fans that are not watching today will tune into the Super Bowl and then them fans will watch next season with no thought about what happened the year before.
But the NBA they don't got a Super Bowl to draw the fans back in and the NBA was already losing fans before this happened pepole are tired of the uneven playing field. Players like Lebron jumping from team to team building super teams just so they can win championships is not what the average fans want to see and then to have Lebron say we are white privileged that white pepole take advantage of others.
Really Lebron is that Lebron from Cleveland that could not win a championship or is it Lebron from Miami that had to have Dewayne Wade or LA that is using Anthony Davis to win a championship.
Lebron accusing America of being unjust.
The NBA needs to take care of there own problems before they try fixing the country's problems.

Buzz thear is a big difference ranchers, farmers, airlines and most small businesses we need, we don't need pro sports or Hollywood.
I have Monster Muleys to entertain me.

Spoken like a true socialist...letting Founder pay for your entertainment.

View attachment 13273
This photo was taken long before it was cool to be anti-american...He is nothing more than a follower, sell out, what ever you want to call it. He is an uneducated moron, incapable of thinking for himself. You can do way better than this Grizz. Come on man!

Last edited:
Spoken like a true socialist...letting Founder pay for your entertainment.
I am sorry founder.
I did not know I was costing him money. I don't want to be a burden maybe I need to stop visiting this forum i was under the impression that founder made money off of advertisement from pepole visiting this forum.
Buzz you are a modern day liberal you will say anything just to keep your progressive agenda going.

Went out elk hunting yesterday with a friend of mine who's going to be 78 later this fall. He managed to have an elk killed, quartered and in the truck by 8:30 AM yesterday.

Got home in plenty of time to watch the Raiders take a thrashing from the patriots...the Raiders defense needs to learn how to tackle.

Watched Josh Allen, former UW quarterback, and the bills blow a huge lead and win on the final drive of the game. If he keeps improving, Josh Allen will be a hall of famer...

Rogers and the packers had a good game as well.

Shaping up to be a pretty interesting season.

Good Monday night game...in particular if you're a chiefs fan.

I don't think that game was a very good reflection on the Ravens, they're a better team than how they played last night, just got out-coached.

I saw a headline that the Donkos are contending for the #1 pick. I suppose it's only fair the donko fans should walk a mile in a raiders fans shoes. I'm neither these days, although it's hard not to side with Elway this year. :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom