Why is the Arizona Game & Fish Commission going to ban trail cameras?

DonMartin

Very Active Member
The Arizona Game & Fish Commission is proposing to ban ALL trail cameras that are used for the purpose of take of wildlife in Arizona. Remember just two years ago the Commission voted to ban live action cameras, and this action was supported by many Arizona sportsmen.

Now, they are back, wanting to ban ALL cameras, including the passive ones that only proved provides history to the owner.

Three of the Commissioners, including Commissioner Kurt Davis, have made two podcasts and stated why they are in support of this ban. And after you hear them talk, see if you, like me, doesn't think this is a done deal on March 19, 2021 when they meet in Bullhead City to vote on it.

The first podcast was done with the staff of HuntinFool, Look under www.HuntinFool.com/podcast. It is episode 103. Also look at https://bloodorigins.org/podcasts-partners/. Episode 9.

money

Sorry Don, we ain't buying what you are selling. Most people are in favor of the ban and it's going to happen. It is long overdue and the only people that care are outfitters like yourself and A3. I know a couple outfitters that are stone cold killers and they are 100% in favor of the ban because they will shine. They are top tier outfitters already and they already kill big animals every year without running cameras. This change will prove how good they really are while other outfitters will struggle to produce big animals because they depend on cameras to find game.

PLK

All the outfitters that I’ve ever talked with in AZ run hundreds of trail cameras; especially if they are guiding on the Strip for mule deer.

Good to hear from you Don; you have been ominously quiet for quite some time and several folks were wondering if you were ok.

AZMIGHTYMULIES

The Arizona Game & Fish Commission is proposing to ban ALL trail cameras that are used for the purpose of take of wildlife in Arizona. Remember just two years ago the Commission voted to ban live action cameras, and this action was supported by many Arizona sportsmen.

Now, they are back, wanting to ban ALL cameras, including the passive ones that only proved provides history to the owner.

Three of the Commissioners, including Commissioner Kurt Davis, have made two podcasts and stated why they are in support of this ban. And after you hear them talk, see if you, like me, doesn't think this is a done deal on March 19, 2021 when they meet in Bullhead City to vote on it.

The first podcast was done with the staff of HuntinFool, Look under www.HuntinFool.com/podcast. It is episode 103. Also look at https://bloodorigins.org/podcasts-partners/. Episode 9.
Its been a long time since I've posted here . Likely that my last post was regarding this same topic . I've been pushing for this Ban for 6 years when I started to recognize the trends that were as a result of Trail Camera use . Its gotten way out of control . I've been using them and will be glad to put them away when I draw my tags . Trail Cameras have taken the Hunt out of Hunting ! There will now be a Generation of Hunters not knowing how to traditionally hunt due to Trail Cameras! Like Don Martin said though , listen to the whole podcast Huntinfool has produced #103 . These 2 Commissioners are no strangers to Hunting . In fact they are both avid , passionate Hunters ! These Commissioners know that things are only going to get worse . So they are making the decisions now to assure that the decision now is to whats beneficial to wildlife on a longterm perspective !!!

Slightlysober

Very Active Member
P
Its been a long time since I've posted here . Likely that my last post was regarding this same topic . I've been pushing for this Ban for 6 years when I started to recognize the trends that were as a result of Trail Camera use . Its gotten way out of control . I've been using them and will be glad to put them away when I draw my tags . Trail Cameras have taken the Hunt out of Hunting ! There will now be a Generation of Hunters not knowing how to traditionally hunt due to Trail Cameras! Like Don Martin said though , listen to the whole podcast Huntinfool has produced #103 . These 2 Commissioners are no strangers to Hunting . In fact they are both avid , passionate Hunters ! These Commissioners know that things are only going to get worse . So they are making the decisions now to assure that the decision now is to whats beneficial to wildlife on a longterm perspective !!!
Thanks for your time! I’ve loved your posts over the years!

AZMIGHTYMULIES

As someone that puts our cameras what’s your thoughts on this?
Glad they are . I've been pushing this for 6 years ! I provided AZGFD information thats shows that 90% of the Bucks killed were as a result of Aid or Assistance via use of Trailcameras. Every year on the Arizona Strip and other Units , Hunter to Hunter conflicts are getting worse , congestion getting worse and Trailcameras have simply taken the Hunt out of Hunting ! I'll be glad to put my Trailcameras away when I draw my Tags . I am a proactive person and more importantly enjoy the family time while hunting !!!

Horniac

I listened to that podcast. They seemed to dodge the question on other technological advancements like long range rifles that they were asked about...

Horniac

AZMIGHTYMULIES

I listened to that podcast. They seemed to dodge the question on other technological advancements like long range rifles that they were asked about...

Horniac
That is true. Why ? Because that's a whole different ball game sort of speak ! There emphasis is eliminating congestion to prevent Hunter to Hunter conflict and Fair Chase . There is about a 90% chance an individual wouldn't be pursuing and then harvesting an animal without the Assistance of Trailcameras. A long Range rifle is useless until that Animal has been located . It is crazy how many Guides have come out of the woodworks only to set up Trailcameras, leave them for Months without checking them or even laying foot onto the Unit again until the Hunt starts . But they bring with them a posse of Spotters , set up a perimeter within a couple mile radius area that these Bucks reside in , then comes the long range guns .

AZMIGHTYMULIES

Sorry Don, we ain't buying what you are selling. Most people are in favor of the ban and it's going to happen. It is long overdue and the only people that care are outfitters like yourself and A3. I know a couple outfitters that are stone cold killers and they are 100% in favor of the ban because they will shine. They are top tier outfitters already and they already kill big animals every year without running cameras. This change will prove how good they really are while other outfitters will struggle to produce big animals because they depend on cameras to find game.
One of my exact points exactly !! I remember just 10 years ago we would debate who the Great Mule Deer and Great Bull Elk Outfitters were . Now when someone asks me who I would recommend them to , to Hunt the Arizona Strip , its like playing Mr Match Maker ... whats your personality like , are you a beer drinker , you like root beer , do you like to read the Scriptures at night etc etc just to match them up with someone you'd think they'd get along well with . You know what I mean ? Because every damn Outfitter or Guide is going to know and go after the same animal anyways because they all have Trailcamera pictures of the same critter . Lol

DonMartin

Very Active Member
I've got exactly 6 cameras...lol Plus now its going to be a seasonal ban like Nevada.

DonMartin

Very Active Member

Horniac
That was interesting huh? Especially when one Commissioner talked about shooting a bull at 80 yards!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
Ok, so the last thing I hear is now they are looking at adopting something like the Nevada seasonal ban.

Won't be dealt with at the March meeting.

azbiggame

The Nevada trail camera regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain, or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without permission from the landowner, from August 1 to December 31 of each year, or if the camera is capable of transmitting the images or video, it shall not be used from July 1 to December 31. The regulation does provide some limited exemptions for livestock monitoring, research, and other miscellaneous uses.
This camera ban, has put the word " Hunting " back in hunting and seems to be working at saving many BIG mule deer each season,
Bruce & SilverGrand

mike111

Ok, so the last thing I hear is now they are looking at adopting something like the Nevada seasonal ban.

Won't be dealt with at the March meeting.

Interesting how the AZGFD stated the following information with their 5-0 vote to ban, or regulate trail cameras.
  • The Commission will hear and vote on final rulemaking at the March 19, 2021 Commission meeting
  • Any change to the current trail camera rule will not go into effect prior to January 1, 2022.
  • Once the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking is published, it will open a 30-day comment period that will run from Jan. 1, 2021 through Feb. 1, 2021. Comment can be submitted either through:
The commission stated they will hear and vote March 19th about trail cameras. I don't see the word might vote, so would the following information from the commission now be incorrect?

Last edited:

AZ100

If they do a seasonal ban it better start July 1st for all cameras like they stated and not August 1st. How are they going to know if the camera is capable of transmitting images or video? A full ban would solve the problem and hopefully they're still considering it. Don, how do you know so much about what is currently going on with the ban when we know nothing?

Last edited:

Beavinaz

I am 72 years old and I’ve never used a trail cam. I hunt the old fashion way and I’ve always been successful. But I put a lot of time in the field scouting every year that I get drawn. We don’t need cameras, and I hope that the ADFG bands them.

BGbasbhat

...wonder how the hell they would enforce it? Will game wardens (along with the ton of other work they do) now have to go check water holes, cut down cameras, chase down the owner (however they'd figure that out?), hand them a ticket?
Rules and laws, just don't know how they would enforce it....and subsequently how effective it would be.

azbiggame

when it becomes law, AZG&F will enforce this law !!! with help from law abiding hunter/scouters afield. Plenty of eyes out there, to aid law enforcement.Report to local G&F , camera & Location.
In NV , it works ... have found many Bear Box with locks sawed off and no camera & cables locks "Buzzed in Half" and laying on ground and NO CAMERA to be found. Always will be a few that believe THEY are above the law, but with fewer cameras than before ... Bruce & SilverGrand

Bwht4x4

...wonder how the hell they would enforce it? Will game wardens (along with the ton of other work they do) now have to go check water holes, cut down cameras, chase down the owner (however they'd figure that out?), hand them a ticket?
Rules and laws, just don't know how they would enforce it....and subsequently how effective it would be.
They'll enforce it like every other law they and every law enforcement agency is tasked with enforcing: normal patrols, undercover work, complaints, calls/tips, etc. It's not like they will all of a sudden have to go visit every water source the next day after the seasonal bans starts. Instead, as they're on patrol during the seasonal ban they'll stop by water sources they know about to inspect them for unlawful cameras. The week after they'll hit a couple more. Not a big deal!

BGbasbhat

I'm not saying I am for trail cameras at all. I'm just curious on how this would all go down, if it did.....and then if it would be permissible for other hunters to destroy one (vigilante style?)?

Haha, could you imagine the "hunter conflicts" that would happen if I took a rock to some guy's camera and he happens to be in the area?

Again, I would be for banning them, just interested on how it would all work effectively. Some water holes are miles off the road, which I'd be surprised if a warden would want to spend a day hiking out just to see if there are any present.

BGbasbhat

They'll enforce it like every other law they and every law enforcement agency is tasked with enforcing: normal patrols, undercover work, complaints, calls/tips, etc. It's not like they will all of a sudden have to go visit every water source the next day after the seasonal bans starts. Instead, as they're on patrol during the seasonal ban they'll stop by water sources they know about to inspect them for unlawful cameras. The week after they'll hit a couple more. Not a big deal!

Yeah, I guess that is a good point. Almost like the Game Thief hotline. Ooooo, maybe AZGFD could offer a reward for any cameras you point them to!?!!?!??!

Bwht4x4

I'm not saying I am for trail cameras at all. I'm just curious on how this would all go down, if it did.....and then if it would be permissible for other hunters to destroy one (vigilante style?)?

Haha, could you imagine the "hunter conflicts" that would happen if I took a rock to some guy's camera and he happens to be in the area?

Again, I would be for banning them, just interested on how it would all work effectively. Some water holes are miles off the road, which I'd be surprised if a warden would want to spend a day hiking out just to see if there are any present.
I can't speak for all states' wardens, but in CA it's not surprising to run into a warden 5 mi back in the wilderness on patrol. They are also known to conduct horseback patrols. With that said, the cameras in the remote areas would likely be found by other hunters, but wouldn't be surprised if a warden found them too.

I agree with you to BGb...if someone was brave enough to have a camera up during the seasonal closure and he caught someone ripping it down...it probably wouldn't go down in a good way!!! Probably best to do it Bess style and go the route of a long-distance rocky mtn tune up!

StickFlicker

The G&F Department can only regulate hunters. Wildlife watchers that don't use them for hunting could still have them up whenever and where ever they wished. So, you could very well be vandalizing a person's property who is placing it 100% legally.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Chappell Guide Service

We hunt the best areas for Trophy Class Bulls. Quality rather than quantity is always our goal.

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

Big Chino Guide Service

We only offer a quality trophy elk hunt in Arizona. Your trophy bull elk is waiting!

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Dieringer Outfitters

We offer guided hunts for elk, mule deer, coues whitetail, bighorn sheep, antelope, and mountain lions.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Ward's Outfitters

We will share with you over 45 years of expertise in archery and rifle hunting experience in AZ and Mexico.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Top Bottom