Why money up front?

southslope82

I just was applying for my wyoming hunts for the first time and realized that they take your permit money up front. I got to wondering why and thought of some real advantages to doing it this way but can some one tell me the real reason why they do this?

SS I don't know either. We can only guess at there reasons. Colorado does it also, hopefully someone on here knows the real reason.

Requiring money up front tends to knock out the people that aren't serious about drawing the license. It also ensures that all hunters have paid for the license they have drawn. It's not legal for them to gain interest on the money, otherwise that would be a good reason.

HiMtn said; "Requiring money up front tends to knock out the people that aren't "serious" about drawing the license."

No offense intended at your choice of word here but "Serious"! I think that there are guys who are serious that can't afford to take the money from their family's during the slow winter months! It may only be 3-$600. but that's a lot of money to a seasonal construction worker with a family to feed. Further proof that "serious" hunting is getting or going to be a rich mans sport.

Not only do they demand all the money up front, they wait forever to do the draw and, IMO, tell you if you drew, deer, way too late in the year.

Money is Very tight this winter but if at all possible, i'll be putting in. The people of Wyoming, the every day joe, they are simply the best, nicest, helpful group that you're ever going to run into!! and the hunting ain't half bad.

Joey

None taken. That's just one reason I can think of, doesn't mean I agree or disagree with requiring hunters to pay up front.

Because they can put your money into an interest bearing account and make more money. It's not so bad for the elk because the turn around is fast, but Wyoming sits on the rest of the draws FOREVER-almost 4 months! I imagine it's a pretty good chunk of change when it's all said and done.

The other states that require the money up front are doing the same thing.

I bet there's going to be a big decrease in the amount of people applying in "money up front" states this year. Could be a good year to draw a tag if you've got the cash sitting around.

If it was free to apply then the animal rights folks could have a field day putting in for the tags and really screwing up the odds.

Animal rights people aren't that smart.....Prism, I was always led to believe that it is illegal for them to gain interest on the money. That is the most reasonable explaination.

I agree, if they make interest off your money then they should refund your money with interest. But I don't believe that is the reason. I believe it has to do with budget planning and how much they can spend during the next fiscal year. My 2 cents!

I usually apply for both Wyoming and Colorado ,with hope of drawing both ,but most times I get one of them.
It is alright with me putting money up front,it is that much less I have to come up with in the fall for the long trip of 1600 miles.

Here is my thoughts on why they insist on the money up front.

If they just took applications without money, then after the draw they have to worry about collecting the money. By then there would be plenty of people who decide they can't afford or don't want the tag after all. If they had a deadline to send in the money, then they would have to have an alternate list or another draw. And then they have to collect money from those. It would end up being a big cluster.....every year.IMO

Eel

President Obama and Congress should leave gun rights alone. It's above their pay grade.

I've always heard the main reason was to collect interest off the app money. Where in the statutes does it say the State can't collect interest. Given they make the laws, I'd find it harrd to believe they can't make interest off application money...

Why would it be illegal?

I've always been told it was to gain interest for a few months.

They'd be stupid not too.

Yes they would be.....I'm not sure where I heard that it was illegal to gain interest on that money, and I'm not sure why it would be illegal. If they are able to, I doubt that is the primary reason that they require the money up front. I'm with eel, it would present a problem for collecting that money when it comes time to pay up. As someone else said, it would help with fiscal planning as well. As for gaining interest, that would just be an added bonus. Since they are holding your money in good faith while you are left without it, and thus the interest, the practice seems a little shady, and one that might meet with some opposition if more people knew about it....That said, since the agencies need to know how many licenses are purchased and that the money is already there, they might as well gain interest on it while they have it because, afterall, they need all the money they can get. I don't have a problem paying up front, or them gaining interest on the money, so long is that money is used appropriately.

Look at Utah. No money up front and everyone can play. I guess that is why most of the hunts are once in a life time.

Thats exactly right rugarm77 now that I think about it, I am just glad that all of these states have different application periods well wyoming and colorado anyway cause a couple of deer tags and a few antelope and elk tags can add up to be alot of $$$$ out of pocket. I did not do my homework to realize that money up front was the way it is but forunatley I won't have to miss out, If they do make the money off intrest its alright with me cause I would rather them make it on intrest instead of raising the permit fee any higher.

I don't care if they get a little interest on my money,just hope I draw what I put in for.
I can't get any interest on my money ,hope some body can.

At least you don't have to buy some ridiculous hunting license in Wyoming... if you don't draw you get all of your money back (less an application fee). I would much rather do that then spend $150+ just for the chance to apply.

I spoke with a the fish and game in Co. today about the application process. He told me that before the money up front was implimented certain groups would buy points at three dollars and when they drew a tag they would ask for a refund the day before the hunt. This was a save an animal attempt. Buy asking for the money up front and charging twenty five dollars it seemed to deture the animal loving groups.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom