Why Northern NM would vote for Obama

nmelk13

I am not a political guy what so ever but I have a reason or two why Northern NM would vote for Obama!

1. More assistance for welfare, what this would do is raise taxes for the people that f'in work and for the people that are to lazy and wont work for thier money it is just a plus!

2. Anti- Hunters/Treehuggers that make enough money where they think everything is GW'S fault! I am not saying that I approve of GW but I sure than hell do not want another dem in the office that has no clue of what he is doing unless it is an aide (got to give it to slick Willy for that):)!

Ok I know I should have put this somewhere else but please whoever is going to vote for Obama give me a reason to even think about this guy?

your a moron cuz u don't know why. I know why they would vote for him.

1. secret service needs to start earnin their money.

man if he gets in office we'll have one bad arse secret service in 4 years. on the other side..... they may only get a couple months practice.

There are alot of drug addicts, new age wackos and government subsidized people up there. That is why. Like many I think Bush has been the worst republican president in history. HOWEVER, to swing the pedulum to the most liberal socailist to run for our country, not to mention a world citizen, will pretty much garauntee our kids future will not be good. PLEASE learn about this guy obama before you vote for him. See who his friends are and how he votes. Its scary

im a republican but i also dont have my head jammed up my ass to where im blind to whats going on..if your educated and actually do research you would find Democrats just put a bill into play Enforcing the right to bear arms 2nd amendment.. Just cause he is president doesn't mean he will ban all guns and hunting.there is no way in hell anyone can do that..the only thing he is for is stricter background checks in huge cities with high murder rates. sure it may make it longer for the average joe to buy a gun. There are so many huge issues right now with war and economy, gun control would be so far down the line it probably wont even be brought up in the first term of any president..But if you wanna vote for a man thats mentally stable, and changes his mind every 5 seconds, is dictated by his party and continues to lie to the public..not to mention his stupid running mate who has a 33 percent chance of becoming president in the first four years. that lady doesnt know the first thing when it comes to running a nation..read up about her and her 600 million dollar bridge..shes out of control..so go ahead..get back at your kids. murder their future .vote mccain..

I forgot to mention that given Biden (the agent of change with the most experience) is ancient like McCain - Nancy Pelosi has the same 33% chance of being Pres that Palin has!

Scary Ain't It?

DC

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-08 AT 11:16PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-08 AT 11:14?PM (MST)

Northern New Mexico will vote for Obama, and if you ask them why its because he's a democrat. That simple. A bit of history. Northern Nm used to be very republican until the depression and then when FDR came about that just about changed everybody to dem and as northern nm families are so close knit nothing changes. Most Northern NM People are very conservative like their guns don't want too much government in their business are honest and hard working god fearing people, and if they voted how they lived northern nm would go republican by a land slide every election. I know because I am a Proud several generation Northern New Mexican (Norteno)and one of the few republicans up here. Unfortunately, it is true there is a severe drug problem and welfare state but that is what Dem policy's reap. When I talk about Northern NM I mean north of Santa Fe. Santa Fe is a whole other story SF is an experiment of retrying failed liberal california policies again and again.

NMbullfighter sure your a republican.

i voted for Bush..and every other republican i agree with..I like the ##### out of Bill Richardson..and He's a Democrat..I love my guns and i love hunting and no president will ever take that away.. but just cause somebody is a republican doesnt mean they are best for the job..i like the old john mccain..3 or 4 years ago..but many people dont know too much about whats going on..and i still like mccain but he's not a leader..he's not his own man. he is run by lobbyist and you can see its true by how many times he changes his mind..and Palin is nothing but a marketing tool forced upon Mccain..he didnt even pick her as his running mate, it was forced upon him by the republican party..she knows nothing about whats going on in the world or the nation..if americans fall for her fake written speeches..they deserve to get put into the hell she will cause..just look at the 600 million dollar bridge she built that would make her family and corrupt republican son n law rich cause they both own property the bridge passes through..shes a corrupt #####.. your stupid if you fall for her act.

Oh boy, here we go, politics in New Mexico! I'm fairly conservative but I agree with quite a bit of what NMBullfigter said. This is not a cut and dry election in terms of the issues and candidates with which we are dealing. A such, it is important to truly look into the candidates stances on each issue that you are concerned with. What bothers me with both the Dems and Republicans right now is the focus on personality and not on the current state of the economy, war, and who is standing behind the current administration. Of particular concern to me is the Republican entrenchment with the wealthiest .02% of the population and the fact that in the past 8 years the majority of their tax breaks and economic incentives have gone toward benefitting these wealthiest and smalles of groups. It has bothered me that the Republican party aligns themselves with the middle class and then turns around and cuts education funding and only gives meaningful tax credits to the wealthiest economic sector. Small businesses and agricultural areas are generally in very bad shape right now as a result. Frankly, and it sucks, but I don't like who is standing behind the Republican party lines right now, i.e., the aforementioned wealthiest .02%...The wealthy do not put the money back into the economy the way that we would like to think they do. In fact, what we are seeing is this money being spent overseas as big business interests realize the benefit of cheap labor and manufacturing costs. Sure it means immediately cheaper goods for us at Wal Mart, but the result is that working-class Americans have less and less opportunities to make and spend money. Our economy is in the tanks, and our education system has plummeted. We need to invest in our country and educate our children in order to continue to succeed.

But on the flip side, I am NOT a fan of big government and I hate the idea of supporting people who do not work for a living. Sure any one of could have something horrible happen and need a helping hand, but I don't favor putting a lot money in bureacratic agencies that suck up money and fail to provide the services they are supposed to.

Do we need change? Obviously so. Do I know who I will vote for? Honestly not yet.

Oh, and neither candidate will take away your guns or your right to hunt. If you actually look at their stances on the 2nd Amendment you will see that they are both for upholding it. For some reason their is this rumor floating out there that Obama will take your guns away...not true. The only difference (as BULLFIGHTER pointed out) is that Obama has taken a stance on making it more difficult for criminals in high crime urban areas to obtain them. Never a bad thing in my book and it does not in any way effect the right of a law abiding citizen to own or bear arms.

Again, look into the issues and do NOT believe what political pundits from either side tell you in the media. Too much at stake in this election to let someone else lead you down the wrong path, whatever it may be for you. I'm sick of the media focusing on personality and speculation and NOT on the actual positions that the candidates are currently taking.

"Again, look into the issues and do NOT believe what political pundits from either side tell you in the media. Too much at stake in this election to let someone else lead you down the wrong path, whatever it may be for you. I'm sick of the media focusing on personality and speculation and NOT on the actual positions that the candidates are currently taking."

And what is Obama's position? All I see is "Change" - change to what?

On the 2nd admendment - it really is not about what he has the power to do but the judges that he would appoint. Obama's senate voting record on gun issues out to be enough to scare the chit out of anyone the owns guns.

At least McCain and Palin has a position and not afraid to let it out.

By the way Palin has 10 times the experience Obama has so don't even go down that road. Community orginizer vs govenor of a state? enough said.

'01 has it right. If Jesus were running as a republican he'd still lose in northern NM because he is not democrat. On a larger scale, NM is viewed the same way by the rest of the country. The dems will likely win this state.
-Raptor

I am registered republican but McCain/Palin can not make me vote for the them, but Obama definitely makes me vote for the Repubs.

Obama is wishy washy at best on the 2nd Amendment. He supports states authority to ban firearms. He supported the handgun ban in Illinois. Why is the 2nd Amendment treated so much differently than the rest. Does he think the states have a right to override the 1st or 4th Amendments of OUR Constitution? Or is it just Amendments he doesn't agree with?

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 12:33PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 12:30?PM (MST)

30inchbuck,

"And what is Obama's position? All I see is "Change" - change to what?"

You made my point for me, thanks. Read the candidates actual policy positions. Both sides are guilty of relying on rhetoric at this point in the campaign. What are we and most Americans basing our voting decisions on? "Hope" "Change" "Fighting for the American People" etc... It appears that this is all they (McCain and Obama) think they need to convey in order to get people to vote for them and their respective parties, which is obviously garbage.

"On the 2nd admendment - it really is not about what he has the power to do but the judges that he would appoint."

There is currently a majority conservative bloc of 5 judges on the U.S. Supreme Court: Kennedy, Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito. Most of the time they have and do block the other more liberal justices who are Stevens, Ginsburg, Souter and Breyer. And, Supreme Court Justices cannot be merely appointed at whim by a president, Supreme Court tenure is lifetime and only terminates at death, resignation, retirement, or upon conviction on impeachment. Furthermore, to appoint a Supreme Court justice a president's nominee must receieve a majority vote from Congress in order to gain confirmation. (I believe the Democrats currently hold a 2 seat majority in Senate now that the two independants have joined them.) So, it is just as important to vote for the senators who can essentially approve or deny any president's nomination. Justice Stevens is the oldest justice currently sitting on the Supreme Court and at 88 (I believe) he is the most likely to bow out during the next four years. However, as he is in good health and apparently still plays tennis, I think he would rather die than retire during a Democratic presidential term. Ginsberg is next in line at 75....It seems likely that someone will move from the court in the next four years but it's not a certainty.

Essentially, the Supreme Court's future in the next four years depends on (1) who is elected president, (2) whoever leaves the court, and (3) whoever can get Senate approval and be appointed. All of which are major factors that everyone should take into consideration when deciding on who to vote for not only for President but as your Senators.

You and I do have cause for concern regarding the Supreme Court's treatement of the 2nd Amendment as thanks to the conservative voting bloc, the D.C. gun ban was deemed unconstitutional by only a 5-4 decision of the justices.

"Obama's senate voting record on gun issues out to be enough to scare the chit out of anyone the owns guns."

"At least McCain and Palin has a position and not afraid to let it out."

Here is Obama's position and history on gun control. Cause for concern? Yes.

Ok for states & cities to determine local gun laws. (Apr 2008)
FactCheck: Yes, Obama endorsed Illinois handgun ban. (Apr 2008)
Respect 2nd Amendment, but local gun bans ok. (Feb 2008)
Provide some common-sense enforcement on gun licensing. (Jan 2008)
2000: cosponsored bill to limit purchases to 1 gun per month. (Oct 2007)
Concealed carry OK for retired police officers. (Aug 2007)
Stop unscrupulous gun dealers dumping guns in cities. (Jul 2007)
Keep guns out of inner cities--but also problem of morality. (Oct 2006)
Bush erred in failing to renew assault weapons ban. (Oct 2004)
Ban semi-automatics, and more possession restrictions. (Jul 1998)
Voted NO on prohibiting lawsuits against gun manufacturers. (Jul 2005)

"By the way Palin has 10 times the experience Obama has so don't even go down that road. Community orginizer vs govenor of a state? enough said."

And here I will respectfully disagree with you. Palin was a city counselor in Wasilla, AK, a suburb of under 10,000 people for 10 years (1992 to 2002), and she has been the governor of Alaska for only half of a term, or 2 years... I won't even go into the comparison despite the fact that I probably won't even vote for the guy...

We should all forget the rhetoric and stick to the facts for our own good.

-Cody edit p.s. can anybody tell what the hell the "Audacity of Hope" means....I like that one the best.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-08 AT 01:21PM (MST)[p]"And here I will respectfully disagree with you. Palin was a city counselor in Wasilla, AK, a suburb of under 10,000 people for 10 years (1992 to 2002), and she has been the governor of Alaska for only half of a term, or 2 years... I won't even go into the comparison despite the fact that I probably won't even vote for the guy..."

So Obama has been a "community orginizer" in Chicago then went onto the IL state congress in 1996 then became a US Congressman in 2004. So from 04 to 06 (2years) he somewhat functioned as a US congressmen rest was spent on this Presidential bid. Besides writing some books - did he write any bills? propose any legislation? lead any committees?

A Mayor then Governor has the same job functions as the President - just on a smaller scale. Budgets, control of the guard, police force, legislative actions ect. And governor of Alaska - the largest land mass of all the states. Besides she is for drilling in ANWAR, she is for drilling off the coasts. And one thing this country needs to do RIGHT NOW is drill.

"So Obama has been a "community orginizer" in Chicago then went onto the IL state congress in 1996 then became a US Congressman in 2004. So from 04 to 06 (2years) he somewhat functioned as a US congressmen rest was spent on this Presidential bid. Besides writing some books - did he write any bills? propose any legislation? lead any committees?"

"A Mayor then Governor has the same job functions as the President - just on a smaller scale. Budgets, control of the guard, police force, legislative actions ect. And governor of Alaska - the largest land mass of all the states. Besides she is for drilling in ANWAR, she is for drilling off the coasts. And one thing this country needs to do RIGHT NOW is drill."

You realize that you are quite literally talking about apples and oranges here? Indeed a "community organizer," albeit one with a law degree from Harvard and a civil rights attorney (an attorney who fights for people's civil rights as guaranteed under the Constitution, but apparently not the 2nd Amendment)...and yes, Obama authored 152 Bills, Palin 0, and he helped create and proposed a bit of legislation, some of which dealt with electoral fraud, nuclear terrorism, and care for returned U.S. military personnel...Palin ???. He does NOT have as much experience as we would want for our president, but the above, coupled with his time in the Capital and ability to the deal with both Dems and Republicans on the nation scale, provides significantly more experience than that of Palin. Now, McCain has the experience that I like but he's got his head too far up the special interest and lobbyist groups @sses for me right now. Just look at his campaign finance trail...

As for Palin. She is the governor of a state with a population smaller than that of Albuquerque (680,000 or so). She has zero experience in DC, zero experience at the international level (Obama is notably weak here as well), and has supported and pushed for the development of open pit mines in some of the best hunting and fishing areas in the state. Now I must admit my bias against Palin. My adopted brother and his wife live in my parent's home in Juneau (I'm from CO but my dad lives in AK for half of the year). He is a conservative hunter and fisherman and is also a fisheries biologist for the state of Alaska. Having studied and literally faced the environmental impacts these projects would have on these areas he is up in arms as a hunter and fisherman and despite his conservative stance.

I believe that drilling can be done effectively in ANWAR and that we do need to take advantage of our domestic resources asap. The only bummer is that we need oil immediately, and drilling isn't going to solve that immediate need. It takes years to drill and install the infrastructure needed to make any of our reserves viable...much less in such remote areas. Furthermore, with oil and gas companies currently raking in such ungodly profits why should we want to give them more opportunity? Oil and gas companies bankroll Republican campaigns and then push for and receive favorable legislation from those officials that they elect. The result is that you and me pay top dollar while they reap the profits and that frankly pisses me off. I feel as though I'm being used at their expense... I wrote my thesis on this very subject in law school (I'm only an @-hole by trade so that I can someday hope to afford to ranch), compiling a substantial amount of hard data on the biggest recipients of oil gas and mining campaign contributions, the recipients of that money, and their subsequent voting records. The results are undeniable and definitely got me questioning my political leanings. I focused my studies on natural resource development law (NOT environmental law)and would be glad to forward a copy of my work to you and anyone else that would like to read it, although I admit that it makes for some dry reading...

We do need to drill now but I don't think we will see the effects of immediate drilling until some years into the future.

And, I think this thread is the dialogue that we as hunters need to have in order to hash out just what the hell is being fed to us by our politicians. It's definitely got me thinking about how to cast my vote.

I'm still on the fence,
Cody

Here's some food for conservative thought....I think it's funny but not exactly what I had in mind for the leader of my country...I mean come on, that guy is drinking Schlitz in the background!

Palin.jpg

I don't care how much experience Obama has. If he had been a senator for 30 years (like his running mate) I wouldn't like what he had done in those years. I'm not going to vote for somebody based on experience when I don't trust him to make the decisions that are in my best interest. I know plenty of people that have been doing their jobs for 20 years and still suck at it. And people that have been doing it for a couple of years and excel.

Just in case you were serious, the photo is a hoax, widely circulated and debunked a few days after the convention.

More on the Sarah Palin picture:

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/palin.asp

It's crap like this that makes me want to vote against the people who put this crap out there. I'm not currently registered with any political party. I was seriously considering sitting this election out, until McCain selected Palin. Now at least, there is someone I can vote for, and it ain't just because she's easier on the eyes... :)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-08 AT 09:22AM (MST)[p]He's a liberal.....i'm a conservative. I'm pretty far right so I would never vote for a liberal.....especailly him! I also don't like his ties to that church....call me a biggot.

Most people don't even know the differance between a conservative and liberal/republican or democrate. They have no idea about their experience or voting record, if they even have one. And if they don't understand economics or government or politics, then they aren't making a very educated choice. People then vote for who they "like" or who is the best talker....or "bull$hitter". Hell....most women voted for bill clinton because they thought he was good looking....how stupid is that!

By the way, Bill Richardson will never get another vote from me. He's pretty much a weasel.....i would have had more respect for him if he'd stuck with supporting Hillary instead of jumping ship for his own gain. However, I completely lost respect for him when he supported the tribes and backdoored a vote to put Mt. Taylor on the states cultural registery list bull$hit.

Dangit Mozey, Snopes is where I got the picture from...Still pretty funny though.

And, I agree guys, Obama does support issues that are of particular concern to us as sportsmen. But, both parties aren't giving me much to go on right now.

Ropinfool, you could not be more right about Richardson. The guy is a crook and I believe that it is only a manner of time before the substantial water and real estate investments he personally made in NM while serving as governor (purchases made by a corporation from out of state whose rules do not require public disclose of the names of the agents of corporations incorporated in that state), and the manner with which he controls his office will ultimately come back to bite him in the @ss.

Sounds like some of you guys are taking it upon yourselves to educate yourselves as to the actual issues and positions presented by the current candidates and I only wish more people would. Too many people base important voting decisions on rhetoric and personality traits....It will be interesting and hopefully not too scary to see just how this election cycle will unfold.

I don't want any of my constitutional rights threatened, but I also don't want to make less money while every cost of life skyrockets and the wealthiest 2 percent enjoy tax cuts and make windfall profits....I just can't win.

Lord Forgive me for posting to this thread but :)
No matter who wins, the fight has just started. Everybody thinks that the McCain is for Sportsman's rights. bzzzt... If you remember he sponsored the McCain-Liberman gun act that tried to stop ALL GUNS SHOWS...

I am still amazed that he picked someone from Alaska for the VP spot. A we have all learned this election is all about the electoral college and having two westerners is a real good idea.

Is McCain is least of the two evils? Probably, but like I said even if he does get elected we really need to fight hard for Sportsman's rights... We can't take anything for granted.

Jason
www.chasingtherut.com

I am a one issue voter. I will only vote pro gun.

If Obama wins, within the first year all lead bullets will be banned. Shells will have less than a 1 year shelf life. Powder and primers will have less than a 1 year shelf life. Taxes will be raised on any thing that has to do with guns and shells by 500%.

This is reality. It has already started. With Obama as president hunting with a firearm will be drasticly affected.

If you don't believe me look what california has already done. And what washington is try to do.

So all the pole smoking Sante Fe couples can get married and drive their Subaru's in peace! Bush sucks, but NOBAMA!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom