Why Side x Sides? #Rant

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
Helping with some late hunts these last couple weeks, had me thinking..

Why the hell to people buy these SxS, Razors, Rhinos, etc.? I've grow to despise them.

- They're noisy as hell
- Riding in one is dusty/muddy/cold/windy/uncomfortable
- Expensive as hell
- Noisy as hell
- NOisy as hell
- Did I mentioned they're noisy?
- 4 seaters are barely smaller than a Jeep XJ

Why don't people just buy a Jeep TJ/CJ/XJ/etc, put a lift on it and mud tires? Jeeps are generally:
- Cheaper (consistently ~$5K)
- Tougher
- Have Heat and A/C
- Have doors/windows (can take em off too!)
- Ability to carry more
- Are of similar size
- QUIETER!!!

I get toys and upgrading them, etc. But paying $15K+ for a 4 seater SxS, putting another $5K of upgrades only to buzz loudly down roads, freezing and muddy seems stupid to me.

Just sayin...prove me wrong

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Can?t beat the suspension in a can am sXs. Can?t go 79 mph down the trail in a Jeep either. Throw them snow tracks on and you got a snowmobile. I'm goin with the noisy sXs 10-1 over a rough riding Jeep. Plus in the sXs I can stand in the back of the bed and road hunt.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 09:37AM (MST)[p]I simply hate them period.
Needs regulated on public lands. Too many lazy people riding them all over gods creation wherever they want.
They?ve ruined hunting and summer hiking.

Suspension..........
Used to use a built Suzuki Samurai. It was very capable but rode like a tank.
Wife's back is bad so I switched to a 2 seat RZR. No comparison in the ride.
Yes, had to add a heater, doors, etc, etc.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 10:03AM (MST)[p]My RZR goes in the back of my truck. No jeep will fit back there! The suspension is much, much better than a Jeep. Power to weight ratio is much better in my machine. I can go many more places than a Jeep can take me and do it twice as fast.
Yes, it's colder than a Jeep or truck because mines not enclosed, but I just suck it up and put on warm clothes. Ha ha
I'd prefer to go backpacking, but in places I hunt closer to roads, the RZR is so much easier.
My machine isn't any more noisy than a truck or Jeep, but for sure noisier than walking. Ha ha

BTW - I buzz mine around when I need to, but to label me as lazy cause I use one is nuts. I'm dead certain I'm not lazy.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

My buddy threw every accessory known to man on his Can Am including lift, tires, nitros and racing exhaust (just to name a few).

I swear I can hear him fire it up every time and I live in a different State. He turned an otherwise semi-usable tool into a real piece of hud IMHO!

You don't know noisy until you've ridden in that machine.

It is very impressive with it's ability to go from zero to OH-MY-GAWD in about 3 seconds! It's absolutely the LAST mode of transportation that I would EVER use for hunting.

I use my old (2002) Honda rancher to save wear and tear on my old (1997) truck but rarely travel anywhere a regular stock 2x4 truck couldn't go.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Seems most either hate or love these machines. I have one and I'm in the middle. I hate it for reasons you mentioned but sure do like not beating up a truck that would cost me 60-70k to replace. To each his own I guess.

I rode a 4 wheeler around for 4 days on some mean dirt roads during my 3rd and 4th season hunts this fall. Then my hunting partner showed up with his enclosed sxs with heater and the ride was incredibly better and the heater was a blessing on a mid November hunt. I agree that I don't like how loud they are. I would imagine that could be fixed with the right exhaust system. But the sxs are sure nice to get around on the dirt roads. Faster and smoother as has been said.

I haven't performed a controlled test of this, but I would think a soft setting Jeep suspension + bigger tires would allow for less feeling of every rock/root/etc on a trail?

I've been in $30K fancy pants Razors and $8K Hondas and yes, you can go faster, but man you can feel everything. I still felt like I was moving 2 days after I rode in that Honda last weekend...not to mention covered in snow/mud/slop.

Horses for courses. I have a Kawasaki Teryx 2 and the wife and I absolutely love it for what we do. She has a bad back and the seats are super comfortable for her., they don't sit straight up like a Ranger or Mule. Cruises the roads everywhere in comfort, and love the openness. We don't tend to haul azz with it, so that keeps some of the dust down. With the factory exhaust and spark arrestor, its pretty quiet. Works great in Moab where we like to play, and has a large dump bed which will hold two elk if I need to. Waterproof and dustproof storage compartments makes it even better.

It will go twice as far, in half the time for half the gas as my big pickup. Going 200 miles on 8 gallons of gas is nice, and having one or two gallons as a spare lets me get home from anywhere. I don't feel like using a $12K machine for what it is designed to do is beating it up. For the open desert here in Idaho with miles of sharp jagged lava rock, I don't worry about blowing tires like my off-road trucks used to all the time. I have had every combination of CJ-2, 2A, 3 and 5 or Land Cruiser FJ-40, 55, or 60 as you can build. Here in our Nat'l Forest, the trails are either open to full-size vehicles or those less than 50". Use them properly and no problems, abuse the trails and break the law and I have no mercy for your stupidity..

Well said Blank. I haven't sat in one of those, but imagine it is more comfortable than the ones I've been in.

I agree with yous/others as far as not beating up a big truck, or saving gas vs a big truck.

Because my wife made me buy one that was smurf blue (Honda Pioneer). She wouldn't ride her ATV after flipping it a few years back. Using a SxS in this area of NW Wyoming doesn't get you much of an advantage. It does save a little wear and tear on the pickup. Mine is stored away for the winter.

just sayin...mh

If I was given one I'd do two things...

1- thank whoever gave it to me
2- get rid of it...

I can be miles away from any road and still hear them driving on roads...

Not only that, a lot of owners have the mentality of, ?I paid a sh!t load of money for this rig, I can take it wherever I want!!!?
Yes I despise them...

To each their own. I have a Honda pioneer. I toyed with the idea of getting a jeep instead. I don't regret getting the SxS though. It's an amazing machine. The dust sucks, but other than that it's about perfect for my uses.

Because Them Pussssssies Don't wanna Scratch their F'N 80K Main Street 4X4 Belcher!

Founder Has One?

JUDAS!

F'N!

PRIEST!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 03:20PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 03:19?PM (MST)

edit: pic won't work?

Three or four years ago I did a mental recount of my hunts and realized that I could've used a truck instead of a SxS on every one of them and been more comfortable and quieter. So I sold my RZR and saved money when I bought a little mountain truck for hunting. I put a lift on it, locking rear axle, and a Supercharger for more power and now have a great truck. I kept my old Polaris Sportsman because sometimes there really is a need for a quad, but I felt like a SxS wasn't as good as a quad at some things and wasn't as good as a truck at others. It was kind of a jack of all trades but a master of none. I felt like I got a lot more for my money than what I had spent on the SxS, too.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

- $1,000 Jeep
- $500 in tune up parts and fluids
- $500 in tires

Has a heater, ultra quiet exhaust, room for 4 adults, can drive year around and down the hwy and only needs a 2 ton winch. When wore out I will replace with another Jeep.

I've seen first hand elk shut up and lay down immediately when they hear a SxS or ATV but yet keep on keeping on with the sound of a truck or Jeep.

IMO a cheapo Jeep is the way to go.

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

In Idaho, you can use the "trail" version on a lot of ATV trails. These have a 50 inch width limit. There isn't a 50" wide jeep. While I don't have one, I want one.

>In Idaho, you can use the
>"trail" version on a lot
>of ATV trails. These
>have a 50 inch width
>limit. There isn't a
>50" wide jeep. While I
>don't have one, I want
>one.

But in areas with Idaho's Motorized Vehicle Restrictions (most of the units I hunt), you have to stay on roads "capable of travel by a full-sized vehicle" anyway so the 50" trails are off-limits during hunting season. That's one of the reasons I bought a truck instead of keeping my SxS... if I have to stay on full sized roads, I figured I might as well be in a full-sized vehicle.

Grizzly

-----------------------------------------

Ask yourself if you agree with the following statement...

"It's time to revisit the widely accepted principle in the United States and Canada that game is a public resource."
-Don Peay, Founder of SFW, as quoted in Anchorage Daily News

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 03:36PM (MST)[p]The biggest problem I see with them is when hunters don't stick to established trails/roads. I do think the noise of an OHV does scare the animals more than an automobile.

I also find it funny when you hear a hunter start up their vehicle and leave right about sunset. That's prime time.

I find the seat makes my butt sweat too because you're sitting right on top of the engine. :)

A Couple years ago BOHNTR was in the Book Cliffs Archery Hunting!

Me & Jr went out Early one Morning looking around & Low & Behold a Couple of F'N Straight Piped Side By Sides went Screaming down Several Ridges 30-40 Minutes before You could See!

GEEZUS!

Typical TARDS!

I'll Bet there's some BUTT Frost as Well!

>Can?t beat the suspension in a
>can am sXs. Can?t go
>79 mph down the trail
>in a Jeep either. Throw
>them snow tracks on and
>you got a snowmobile. I'm
>goin with the noisy sXs
>10-1 over a rough riding
>Jeep. Plus in the sXs
>I can stand in the
>back of the bed and
>road hunt.

Git 'er done.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

>Can?t beat the suspension in a
>can am sXs. Can?t go
>79 mph down the trail
>in a Jeep either. Throw
>them snow tracks on and
>you got a snowmobile. I'm
>goin with the noisy sXs
>10-1 over a rough riding
>Jeep. Plus in the sXs
>I can stand in the
>back of the bed and
>road hunt.

Are You Suited Up in Full Camo While Standing in the Back While Road Hunting in your Side by Side?

Fast forward through all the other responses, but it's a matter of personal choice.

As long as they stay on designated roads, driven in a safe and adult manner, and you don't mind the other nuances that come with them, what does it matter...?

Ain?t nothing worse than a a lifted 3/4 ton pulling a rzr with a whole posse of flat brimmers packed inside with tardville plates rolling up in your neck of the woods....

Coloradoboy

>Ain?t nothing worse than a a
>lifted 3/4 ton pulling a
>rzr with a whole posse
>of flat brimmers packed inside
>with tardville plates rolling up
>in your neck of the
>woods....
>
>Coloradoboy

Lmmfao!!! ?

>Ain?t nothing worse than a a
>lifted 3/4 ton pulling a
>rzr with a whole posse
>of flat brimmers packed inside
>with tardville plates rolling up
>in your neck of the
>woods....
>
>Coloradoboy

LMAO!

But It Ain't Funny is it?

> I'll Bet there's some BUTT
>Frost as Well!
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

wjeRn3P.png

?Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. "

I hate the Rzrs the worst, you can hear those noisy suckers coming from well over a mile away.

Never understood why a hunter would even want one anyway, the bed is barely big enough to fit a small cooler.

Go hit any of the central Utah units that have the Paiute Trail running through it and it'll make you really question if that's why the deer numbers "appear" to be almost to total extinction.

It depends- if for hunting then actually not so cool. If it is not loud piped and for fishing and riding then they are awesome. That being said I have two nice quads and I love riding the trails. I will own a quad when I get a few years older. I would enjoy a Yamaha Wolverine or Rhino for camping, fishing and trail riding. I hate Razrs- Polaris makes trash ATVs and Quads compared to Suzuki, Yamaha, Can- Ams and Hondas. I know why hunters get frustrated at road hunting buttheads though.

>>Can?t beat the suspension in a
>>can am sXs. Can?t go
>>79 mph down the trail
>>in a Jeep either. Throw
>>them snow tracks on and
>>you got a snowmobile. I'm
>>goin with the noisy sXs
>>10-1 over a rough riding
>>Jeep. Plus in the sXs
>>I can stand in the
>>back of the bed and
>>road hunt.
>
>Are You Suited Up in Full
>Camo While Standing in the
>Back While Road Hunting in
>your Side by Side?
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Yes elky! Even got my camo koozie for me beer

>>>Can?t beat the suspension in a
>>>can am sXs. Can?t go
>>>79 mph down the trail
>>>in a Jeep either. Throw
>>>them snow tracks on and
>>>you got a snowmobile. I'm
>>>goin with the noisy sXs
>>>10-1 over a rough riding
>>>Jeep. Plus in the sXs
>>>I can stand in the
>>>back of the bed and
>>>road hunt.
>>
>>Are You Suited Up in Full
>>Camo While Standing in the
>>Back While Road Hunting in
>>your Side by Side?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>I know so many people in
>>so many places
>>They make allot of money but
>>they got sad faces
>>
>>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D
>
>
>
>Yes elky! Even got my camo
>koozie for me beer

The camo koozie is good for more than hunting season. The state troopers don't need to see my Bud Ice when I'm driving to finish all the honey-do list to keep my pretty lady happy. 2020 deer season is coming soon!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-19 AT 10:39PM (MST)[p]First, jeep guys lie.

Yup, you buy a $5k jeep. Tgen you dump $15k into it because as anyone who has owned one will tell you, a jeep is a 1 ride:1breakdown ratio vehicle.

I dumped mine because I prefer to hunt/ride over mechanicing on the trail.

Jeeps won't fit in my toyhauler. Jeeps won't pull a trailer. I don't hunt 5min from the house, and there is nothing shiftier on the highway than a jeep.

Jeeps are without a doubt the single most overrated piles of crap on the mtn.

I can think of 3 models of Toyota better than all models of jeeps. In fact I can do the same for every manufacturer.

Doesn't mean I'm pro rzr, just means there is 100% a reason we all got away from jeeps.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

What hoss said.

And many others. SxS are fun. They have their place. Not the best to hunt out of, but are we really fretting over the quality of a road hunting vehicle? No wonder you guys never see big deer!

:)

>What hoss said.
>
>And many others. SxS are fun.
>They have their place. Not
>the best to hunt out
>of, but are we really
>fretting over the quality of
>a road hunting vehicle? No
>wonder you guys never see
>big deer!
>
>:)

OK Niller!

We Need a Picture of Your Truck!

And The Brim upon Your Hat!:D

These are the two best hunting rigs there as far as I'm concerned...

2008 Toyota Tacoma.
Bomb proof and goes anywhere I need it too when chained up.

75120d764101b0c754f82b84960cc728e4d58.jpeg

2009 Tennessee Walker Mule
The Original 4x4

5287d4ec679c88ab4511b4a8a05cd942505c.jpeg

Do you want to know why I have a rzr? Because I can, I got offered a well maintained rig for a great price. I know exactly how this machine was treated for it was my in laws and never once did this thing even get about 40 because they bought it just to cruise around and they never go about 15 or 20mph for the reason of those A holes ripping around as fast as they can kicking up dust.

WRANGLER
I also have a wrangler and comparison is apples to oranges
AC/ heat
radio
better rain protection
trail to road without having to haul a trailer around.

RZR
smaller and allows others to crawl around on narrow roads
similar feeling to riding a wheeler wind in your hair in the mountains enjoying gods creation
mine isn't lifted or straight piped, nothing fancy just a smaller TOOL to get around the mountains to where I want to start hiking.

who are you guys to tell people what they can and can't buy? I work hard for every penny and I enjoy every second in the mountains wrangler, rzr, or my diesel.

It is simply a TOOL that can be used in all manners of use for pleasure or work.

I can't stand a flat brim either I have to have a curve to my brim I have been that way ever since I was a youngen playing baseball.

A side by side is a tool . Just like any tool it has it's strengths and weaknesses. My lifted F 250 has its plus and minuses .
27463fd16cc6824b14854b72cd8ead2236a60.jpeg
It's comfortable but heavy. A Razor can drive circles around me in this situation.
878144d87b766cfa94ba89d4b093e4d18fe21.jpeg
. Especially set up like this. With windows and tracks it pretty comfortable. But at 80 miles a hour down the freeway it's not. Let's see your Toyota do this.
5869454b26a1df35e4067978b47b4946fa0ab.jpeg
It hangs with the snowmobiles but just a little slower. On wash board roads a truck is doing 20 mph and getting beat to death. In a long travel side by side you don't feel a thing. Before side by side we where riding our four wheelers . We would come back to camp dusty, tired and beat with a sore back. Not saying we don't ride our wheelers anymore. The have there places. This year we where in a area we could use one in a pack out. My boys said it felt like we where cheating. We haven't hunted in a area that aloud us to use one in years like this. It was kind of nice. To get a bull out whole. My jeep just sits in the garage. I fit in the razor better. I have to roll my window down in the jeep to get comfortable. The razor is also street legal. When out scouting and after a days riding on the mountain. It's nice to ride the asphalt back at dark. As far a hunting in the back of one. I have sat on a ridge. Watching a heard of elk. They where in a bottom of a canyon grazing right in the middle of a four wheeler trail. As I sat above I heard a machine coming. Those elk started moving up slowly. The last elks butt was just clearing the ridge as the wheelers got there. They never saw a elk. So it's a great tool to get to a trail to hike in and hunt . But the animals have keyed in on the sound of them. They don't even need to see a wheeler to know they are leaving the area. But when hitting look out spots to glass. You can hit a lot of spots quicker and glass more country. Sorry If have to pass some of you driving your wife?s mini van on the mountain. But I understand
5107739e27ecf4f334f7c9fc6c08fde5761bb.jpeg

Hey BIGJOHN!

Don't Forget to Tell them about you Lighted Antenna!:D

It's a Must!

I like my atv and boots. Leave the truck at the mouth of canyon and rip up to my spot, boots on the ground after that!

Over the years, Had a hand full of sidexside drivers hit me up for a pump due to flat tires!

Driving 70 while hitting rocks.....ain?t no tire gonna hold up to that!

I ain?t carrying a pump on the atv for that kind of behavior either!

Flat tire on an atv is still rideable!

Good luck sidexside FLATTY?s!

Everybody's got their toys and tools. More stuff is great to lug into the woods. It's about the experience - hanging with friends, blastin down the ohv roads in a s x s- as much as the result.

This thread isn't about effectiveness of the mode of transport as it relates to hunting success.... just more of a rant about how loud they are? I don't use them but I don't care about them in the woods. I have seen two bulls (6x7 and 6x6) jump across the ohv-only road at 3pm during a crowded 3rd season. Luckily everyone but me was still in camp til about an hour before dark! But i was hiking in, using that road as a jumping off point and there the elk were... I had a cow tag.

They are here to stay and they provide a lot to the economies of our small western towns during hunting seasons. Load em up with gas and stay on the roads and i'm fine with em. But damn, a lot of riders of any atvs don't stay on trail. They use the heavy snow to act like they don't know where the roads stop.... they rip down signs that say "no atv access beyond this point" and ride all up through the spots. Getting into another rant here...

>Your RZR is cool, but if
>you want to go faster
>, my son can take
>care of that- - -
>
>
>
578898eff79d6734440c1a4b56693079ea412.jpeg

Blank we have a neighbor to the north of us at the cabin. They have tracks on a Jeep Cherokee. I have seen them buried more then once in that high country. Snow condition are not always the same. Even with front and rear tracks. I have stuck the Razor once or twice. You just need to get the snow out from under the flat belly pan and you are good to go again. This guy followed the razor tracks in one cold morning. As soon as it got a little warm he fell threw the crust. I drove out with their info and called search and rescue for them.
83574stucknissin.jpg
You can see the Razors tracks to the right of the sled. They got a ride out. But their car stayed there for the next two and half months. " The mountain's got it's own ways "

Just funnin? ya. Never understood or enjoyed the whole snow thing myself. When everyone is raving about how great the snow is, we go to Costa Rica and go fishing!!!

I have truck, 4 wheelers and SxS. Use all. Usually only take SXS when wife has tag or go's

Much more comfortable and she tends to want to go more often. 4 wheeler beats a passenger up like a rag doll.

Love them all and use them differently.

Can am is quite and I am never in a hurry.

There is always one or two and SOB's around weather on 4 wheeler, SXS, Jeeps or truck.

Just can't fix stupid!!!

My POS RZR sits and collects dust...I prefer my JKU anyday...Heat, A/C, heated seats, Satellite radio, seats 5, storage, 80 on the freeway, rides like a dream on the trails, no dust, mud or noise.

))))----------->

Well, when I was in my 20?s, 30?s, 40?s and 50?s I used to hike in 6 miles and go up 3000 feet to hunt elk. Now that I'm in my upper 60?s I bought one. It eliminates the first 3-4 miles in and several feet of elevation. From there I can walk in a mile or two and see very few other hunters. As far as the noise, I get up at 4, drive to where I'm going to walk in from and turn it off! Allows things to settle down for a few hours.
?Still huntin?.
P.S. - Despise the nimrods that road hunt?? with these things just as much as you!! They are noisy )$&tards.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-07-19 AT 11:10PM (MST)[p]
I paid less for this truck than I sold my used RZR for. It will far outperform my buddies Taco and is comfortable to ride in long-distance, unlike my dad's Wrangler. With four doors, a truck bed, rubber floors, and good low-end torque, it's pretty much the ultimate hunting truck, IMO.

The RZRs have their place and I don't begrudge those that use them (I still use my quad quite a bit), but I just felt the SxS was okay at a lot of things, but great at very few of them.

9866020181123141920.jpg

Back from helping on a late hunt here in AZ. Buddy missed a shot yesterday, but I had to come back to the real world for the week..

A'int judging any of you guys/gals that have them and use them, so hope I didn't get your panties in a bunch. Actually, I kinda hope I did.

I'm a value guy, so having a cheaper, more comfortable, potentially more purposeful option seems better to me. Yes, I know you can go nuts with rigging a Jeep or anything else (and yes, Tacomas,etc. are pretty awesome and small too).

In all, I think if they were as quiet as a regular vehicle, and owners were respectful in their use, I'd probably give them a pass.

I think the incessant buzzing through the hills takes something away from being outdoors.

I have a Yamaha side x side and an old dodge. I prefer to hunt in the dodge. I put 4.56 gears and tall narrow tires on it. It's the real deal mountain machine! The Yamaha comes in handy when needed.

The problem I have with side X sides is the large groups that plug up the roads!! Clubs of retired people driving 4MPH down skyline drive for instance, with no regard to who's behind them. The attitude that because there are so many of them there's no reason to try and pass. See it a lot on the desert as well.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-19 AT 09:53AM (MST)[p]

I put 4.56
>gears and tall narrow tires
>on it. It's the real
>deal mountain machine!

I'm a tall skinny tire guy too. I've had a lot more success than with wide flotation tires.

These rants are entertaining.

I have a Jeep and a Side by Side (Teryx). I guess everyone on here can hate me :)

Believe me, a Jeep does not replace a side be side. I keep them both on the roads and like driving them. There are a lot of place to drive around, close to home and I enjoy my side by side.

I will be the first to admit that Jeep's are over priced, not that well built, but do well in the hills. Would I ever own another one- no!

Just a soap box woodruff! Been on a few late hunts and just was bugging me.

Yes, new, fancy pants Jeeps are ridiculously priced. I wasn't comparing those. I just know I can get a decent little XJ/TJ/CJ for around $5K and have quietness/doors/windows/heat/ac/etc.

>Just a soap box woodruff! Been
>on a few late hunts
>and just was bugging me.
>
>
>Yes, new, fancy pants Jeeps are
>ridiculously priced. I wasn't comparing
>those. I just know I
>can get a decent little
>XJ/TJ/CJ for around $5K and
>have quietness/doors/windows/heat/ac/etc.
>
>
>"...I'd rather be tried by twelve
>than carried by six..."

I understand and I cannot disagree with you. I think that we can all agree that they are both over priced.

I am very anti side by side. Simply put they are destroying our wildlife and our lands. As a jeeper I am all for public access and vehicular access to public lands. I believe in balanced management and having designated areas for OHV use, etc. However I have never seen any one user group be so responsible for habitat damage, breaking the law etc. I know that there are a lot of really good people out there, but there is not another user group on public lands that comes anywhere near the violations and destruction that the side by sides do.

In addition I do not believe that there is another group that is as dangerous and and puts other at such risk as side by sides. Again many are awesome, but I have never had a jeep on a 2 track in the woods come around a corner at 50 mph.

They are loud, dangerous, and destructive. As a result I have no use for them and even if I ever get one (have considered it a ton) I will definitely be retarding the crap out of the exhaust.

I also agree 90% of the places I hunt I can get my jeep or blazer to with ease. With the blazer and the jeep I can fit my entire family and gear, I can have heat and AC, I am out of the elements and best of all I am not scaring animals out 2 and 3 miles ahead of me. I can load my jeep and blazer on my trailer and tow it to my camp and use it just like an ATV. etc.

Someday I might jump ship.

One last thing, guys beat the crap out of jeeps, they alweays break because they usually take a beating. I have an 85 CJ7 and I would put it up against any other vehicle. I have wheeled my entire life with all sorts of rigs and a well maintained and set up jeep is about as good as they come. For a full sized rig I would put my blazer up against any production vehicle. You can build and keep some very reliable full sized off road vehicles.

Agreed elks96. The SxS culture is being over-run by irresponsible morons tearing up the country. I have the same thoughts on 4 wheelers of the same mentality. You are going to get idiots "out there" with absolutely no respect for the land or the other users. Instant gratification and self-satisfaction is paramount to them.

That said, I fussed over getting a SxS for years because of the above. I had a Jeep 4 dr. for about 9 months. Had to re-gear it to make it capable enough to use in 4 wheel drive. Worked good but didn't fit my 6'3" too good. I finally bought a Honda Pioneer a couple of years ago and it doesn't go too fast but I don't need it to. If I go out hunting by myself, which is usually, I favor my slightly lifted suburban because I can just park it and throw the bedroll out in the back. It's warm in the winter and cool in the summer. Takes me about anywhere I want to go.

Nice thing about the side by side is that it is a lot easier on the old bones when traveling long distances on not-so-nice roads. Also can get a few more years out of the suburban without stuff falling off. I keep it [Honda] on the two-tracks and dirt roads and do not abuse the country with it. I park it and walk in to where I need to and pack out if I have to.

Where I hunt Is getting diced up with new roads because of the irresponsible losers getting off the beaten path as it were. The BLM and NFS have their work cut out for them to try and curtail the abuse. Just way too much real estate for them to cover.

I do feel your concerns, but should you decide to get one, It's just another way of getting around without beating up your truck. As mentioned before, a lot of people are going to look down on us because we hunt, we have off-road vehicles and there is a certain percentage of us that abuse the privilege.

I don't think sxs's are worth the money but neither are the new trucks. like anything, just depends on how much you use it. atv's are really expensive if they sit in the garage. kinda like a boat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom