Why so long..?

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
Hey guys. I love taxidermy as an artwork and as a great way to pay homage to and remember the hunts we have been on.

A family member just got a buck for his wall. He talked to his local taxidermist who told him it would be two years before it will be done. Aside from tanning the cape and ordering accessories, why would it be two years.? I get he has other work in line already, but 104 weeks worth of work.?

This is serious curiosity, not bashing... Just want to know what I don't know.

Thanks guys.!

Sounds like an honest taxidermist. Most tell you one year and know it’s two!

there’s great taxidermists with faster turnaround. They usually have a few grunts. But one man shops it doesn’t take long to get backlog…

Great question, as far as turn around time goes with taxidermy. It can be a multitude of things. There has been a major shut down of several big tanneries that normally take 4-6 months to turn around hides and is now taking over a year. Some shops don't have their skins back from last year. The tanneries we're having a hard time getting people to work with all the extra unemployment benefits that was handed out. As far as a backlog goes I feel most quality studios should have a back log. That probably means they have a good client base and must be doing decent work. There are many other things that can cause backlog as well Injurys, Family emergencies, illness and the list goes on and on. It's always a good sign when you stop by to the shop you don't see the same mounts hanging around. It's always good to speak to as many taxidermist as possible like at expos, banquets, shows etc. Not everyone's personalities match either. I know this is kind of all over the place but hope it sheds some light on the subject.

Personally, I'd find another taxidermist. There are many taxidermists and as long as you can see their work and check some references, I wouldn't wait 2 years. That's me.

There's a place in Reno that turns work around at a guaranteed pace (6 months?) but my buddy also noted they employ a crapload of taxi's. I'd inquire around.

I have been a taxidermist for over 40 yrs and have always tried to turn everything over within a year and that is putting out over 300 mounts a year . You got to put in lots of long hours to accomplish that.

COVID time is turning out to be very different than the MST we've become accustomed to.

In normal MST, a year and change is pretty standard but COVID time seems to be about double that.

(I have several non-taxidermy projects that are stretching to 2 years due to lack of supplies rather than slovenliness of the contactors)

Personally, I'd find another taxidermist. There are many taxidermists and as long as you can see their work and check some references, I wouldn't wait 2 years. That's me.

There's a place in Reno that turns work around at a guaranteed pace (6 months?) but my buddy also noted they employ a crapload of taxi's. I'd inquire around.
My buddy just had 2 bucks done by this place…. One is a nice mount, the other looks like it was done by students in a Taxidermy school. I personally wouldn’t take anything to them.

Some great responses already guys. Its interesting to see what a unique service taxidermy is. I agree about Covid-time as well, its changed so many industries so quickly.

I'd say a year is more typical.
2 years seems like a long time, esp. as I get older.
I did have one take 3 years to do a Fox Squirrel.

I understand the question and really, the correct answer to avoid this waiting game during these “unprecedented times” is to do it yourself. Just get the kit on Amazon and put your trophy together on a weekend.

I just finished up my bear that I got last week. It turned out great considering my lack of taxi knowhow. It was so easy that I may just open up a shop as a part time gig. Let me know what you think and I’d be glad to make you my first customer.

08AE5752-202A-447B-8ADE-F8886DCEFBC1.jpeg

Sorry Browning? Please forgive me as I am a heathen who slips out of his boundaries on occasion.

To steer it back on topic, two years seems excessive. I think at some point the Taxi needs to know when they are “booked”….a cut-off date so-to-speak, that means, “Hey, I don’t want to waste half this persons life and stress them out wondering if and when they’re going to get their trophy back or not”. My taxi told me 6 months. That turned into 14 months. 18 months should be max for a taxi. If they say longer, I would keep shopping….unless the wait doesn’t bother you.

There are a few taxidermist's in rural areas that don't take as long. I had a pronghorn done last year. It took 4 months. Bear Claw taxidermy in spring city. Looks Great!

Definitely stay away from the (6 month) turn around in reno I took a buck there that had a broken horn and got it back looking like my 3 year old repaired it with his playdo set and 2 year old painted it. They're fast but absolutely terrible workmanship just my 2 cents

I don’t even ask for turn around times. I drop it off and see it when I see it. I’ve had some taxidermist buddies and aside from knowing how busy they are there also a certain type of person. There typically way better artist then businessmen that adhere to strict time lines. Kind of like I say in my construction business. You can have it fast, cheap and good. Pick any two...

I understand the question and really, the correct answer to avoid this waiting game during these “unprecedented times” is to do it yourself. Just get the kit on Amazon and put your trophy together on a weekend.

I just finished up my bear that I got last week. It turned out great considering my lack of taxi knowhow. It was so easy that I may just open up a shop as a part time gig. Let me know what you think and I’d be glad to make you my first customer.

View attachment 53454
Delicious?

View attachment 53454
He looks a little cross-eyed. Could he be related to Leon Spinks?

I have talked to a couple of taxidermists and if they aren't tanning it themselves. Just the taxi getting it back from the tannery is 10-15 months due to lack of workers

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom