Width/Score guess

BrianID

Very Active Member
What do you think this bucks gross score and outside spread is? He is really symetrical and should have a net score within a few inches of his gross score.
8-2.jpg

7.jpg

I'll post what I've estimated his width and score in a couple days.

Here's my stab in the dark, Width- 28-1/2", score- 179. His weak mainbeams and tines hurt his score IMHO.

I would not think that he is much over if any over 26" wide. Remeber they always look wide from the back. As for the sore, I would hat to guess. I've never realy taken the time to learn how to field gudge a deer.

400bull

Here is another picture that may help judge how wide he is. This is the same buck but this picture was from June 8th. The pictures in the first post were taken on July 23rd.
4-2.jpg

I've measured the ears on 6 or 7 bucks killed within 5 miles of this buck and most of them have 24" ears when laid flat. Most of the ears that I measured were from 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year old bucks. I've been watching this deer since 2005 and I'm fairly confident he is a 4 1/2 year old deer. This deer may have slightly smaller ears but I don't think are considerably smaller than the other bucks in the area. I'm guessing his ears are 23" when laid flat. Hopefully I don't get tempted to kill him this fall. If he doesn't get killed by something or someone I'm sure he will be a real nice buck in 2008.

167" gross (net's are for fish), no more than 26" boxed width.
He's pretty light on his "H" measurmements, i gave him 13" per side, and guessed the beams to be 21" max. His G-2's look to be about 20-21" also, but his G-3's & 4's are only averaging in the 9" range which really hurt him as far as a score goes.
I'd say let him go another couple years then throw a tape on him. :)
Great pics by the way!!

26" 155-160. I think the shallow forks are going to hurt hime in the scoring

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I personally think most of these scores are pretty "optomistic". Break him down piece by piece and I think he'll be really lucky to net 150, maybe gross 150.

Still, nice buck. Good luck.

Weak forks, short browtines and probably not much mass once the velvet strips off. Gross 150-157 or so. Maybe 25-26" wide. -TONY

i think that he will go 150's and 25 inches wide...he is a nice buck but he is still young

Maybe I estimated the score too high. I thought he was 28" wide and his gross score was 170" +/- 2". I have a hard time believing he is less than 27" wide and scores less than 160". Deer in this area tend to have ears that are 24" when laid flat out. I think he has 23" ears which is slightly smaller than other deer in this area. In the picture I believe his ear tip to ear tip spread is about 21". He is a really nice buck for an Idaho general season unit but I don't think I'm going to hunt him this fall. I've seen a handful of bucks that are slightly larger than him. I think he has the potential to be what I would consider a really nice buck in 2008. Hopefully he doesn't get killed before next fall. He has to escape me if I get an itchy trigger finger, other hunters, lions, poachers, highways, people that exercise their tribal right to shoot 7 deer a year from August 1st through December with high power rifles, scopes and 4-wheelers like their ancestors did.
12-1.jpg

I never said he was 31.13? wide!!!! He is exactly 28.43? wide!!!!
I know your just messing with me ;) LOL

In my last post I said,

"In the picture I believe his ear tip to ear tip spread is about 21"."

If his ear tip to ear tip spread in the picture is 21" then a simple math calculation would put him at about 28" outside spread. The measurements off the picture and the 21" estimate of ear width only have 2 significant figures so the numbers after the decimal point in the calculation have little to no value. If his ear tip spread in the picture is only 19 inches then his outside spread is going to be closer to 25?. It is mostly just an educated guess. Like I said earlier my 170? and 28? estimates may be a little higher and wider than he really is.

If it helps anybody, this deer was 26" wide, grossed 177" and net 172" ...comapare the two and then tell me what you hink...

103_0164.jpg

8-2.jpg

7.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 02:31PM (MST)[p]the dead buck has a lot more mass, and a lot more in fork depth. i put the live one at 155 gross

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 02:43PM (MST)[p]JimmyAZ,

I have no doubt the buck you posted scores higher than the buck I posted. I still think the buck I posted will gross over 160" and is at least 27" wide. I'm just making an educated guess so I could be wrong.
Did you ever measure the ears on that deer? Do you have any other pictures of the deer with his ears in a different position?
Based on the picture it looks like you kept the cape to mount him. Nice buck and congratulations on a fine trophy.

I think at best he's 27...more likely 25-26. Best score is high 150's.

I killed this buck last year and the buck you have pictures of is very similar. He is just shy of 27" and scores 147 gross and loses about 1 1/2 net.

aaa19.jpg

You're buck might have a little bit more length in the g2, but not much and you get a couple of inches for the brow tines.

Just for reference here's 28" and 170 gross.

IMGP0546.jpg

Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of the deers in a different position and not expecting the mount until the end of the month so I can't quite measure them. By all means, it is a great looking deer and don't want anybody to think I was saying otherwise, just thought it would be useful for a comparision standpoint. You may be right on the width considering different ear sized and just by comparing the 2. My original guess had him at 26" wide with a gross of 161" and a net of "158. Either way, it's a good looking deer to get you pumped for the season! :)

LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 03:19PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jul-30-07 AT 03:16?PM (MST)

JimmyAZ,

No offense taken. I have a thick skin from posting on here for a few years. If this deer doesn't get killed maybe I'll have to find his sheds and then I'll know about what they score after estimating the spread credit.

Dahlmer,
Great looking bucks. That first one does have a similar rack as the one I posted. I still think the buck I posted will break 160?. A friend killed a buck that was 27? outside and scored in the low 160's not far from where this buck is. The buck I have pictures of looks like he is at least as large, if not slightly larger than the one my friend killed. I know my friend frequents this site. Maybe he will post a picture of that 27" buck.

If you compare the 28? buck you posted it doesn't appear to be much wider(if not the same wide) than the buck I posted but I could be wrong. That 28" buck looks like he has a 23" ear tip to ear tip spread in the picture. Did you ever measure his ears? I bet if his left ear was straiter out than it is in the picture he would have close to 24" ears. Great buck by the way.
12-1.jpg

IMGP05461.jpg

I can't wait for the season to start. Then I can spend my spare time hunting instead of bickering on MM about the spread/score of a deer. ;)

The buck in your picture has his ears perked up and forward. In that position his ears are maybe 18 or 19 wide. That puts him at 25" or 26". He is a nice buck though! buckspotter7

27 wide 164 on the score

YOU AINT GOING TO KILL A BIG BUCK UNLESS THERE IS A BIG BUCK WHERE YOUR HUNTING!!!

Well, it looks like sombody has to step up and put an end to this mystery. After a lot of hard thought and deliberation, I have decided that I am willing to use my general Idaho tag and harvest this buck so we can put a tape on him and finally know for sure. I know, I know I do have a big heart. I am just that kind of generous, nice guy. Brian, we can work out the details over pm, but if things go right I could have some harvest photos and measurements posted by late evening Oct. 10th. You are all welcome, don't worry, being selfless comes natural to me. ;-)

Dax

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom