Wife passed Hunter Safety...

Wiszard

Long Time Member
My wife expressed an interest in going hunting so I got her on the computer and she passed her Hunter Safety class today. I already have a hunt planned for next year but I want to plan hear from other hubby's who have newer wife hunters. First hunt? Is it what they expected? My wife has already told me she won't gut anything and I am fine with doing her dirty work. I think it is pretty cool she wants to try this. It is a win-win for me as it will extend my hunting season and I will have the opportunity to go on more hunts. Let me know what your experiences have been. Where'd you hunt her first season? I would think that an antelope hunt would be a good start for her....maybe a guided pig hunt here in Cali would be good as well.

For her first hunt, I took my wife on a January duck hunt. I let her borrow my single shot 10 gauge. I loaded her some 3.5" shells with 58 grains of Alcan AL-8 powder and 2 1/4 oz. of #4 shot. She had fun I think, but she wouldn't talk about it. That was 48 years ago.
Did you let her go set up the decoys too so she could enjoy the whole experience? That was a really good thing you did, eel. I can't say I'd be as gracious as you were. :)

My GF got her first buck this year with her brand new rifle.....she's hooked.

As mentioned above, let her take baby steps in the process.
Lot's of trigger time and take her out this winter looking at game, get her excited for next fall.

My wifes first hunt was a wyo antelope. I had several nice bucks spotted. Come rifle season i had her pass several nice bucks in hopes of the big boys i was watching. Well she pretty much insisted a average buck will do.

What I learned was by making her pass and keep on waiting was taking her fun away. Soooo when she says i want to shoot then its a done deal.

20201017_083132.jpg

Here you go Homer, this is a picture of a wife getting her hunter safety certificate.

My wife started with a cow elk and a very tasty elk, she also realized that all these old bulls and bucks that I brought home tasted like crap compared to her young cow elk. She fills the freezer now.

You Always Point Your Gun At Her BlueHair?:D

(((RAZZIN Ya!)))

I Thought She'd Have it Pointed at You!:D
Hey, it's her gun. I wouldn't dare say anything because she taught me a long time ago I'm not the boss.

I've always has second thoughts about teaching her to shoot. It was especially painful when she kicked my azz trapshooting.:cautious:

My bride of 42 years likes to see me go hunting, usually is happy to see me when I return, is really happy if I bring something to put in the freezer, and loves to do her Christmas shopping for the grandkids while I’m gone. You’re a good man Wisz

My wife expressed an interest in going hunting so I got her on the computer and she passed her Hunter Safety class today. I already have a hunt planned for next year but I want to plan hear from other hubby's who have newer wife hunters. First hunt? Is it what they expected? My wife has already told me she won't gut anything and I am fine with doing her dirty work. I think it is pretty cool she wants to try this. It is a win-win for me as it will extend my hunting season and I will have the opportunity to go on more hunts. Let me know what your experiences have been. Where'd you hunt her first season? I would think that an antelope hunt would be a good start for her....maybe a guided pig hunt here in Cali would be good as well.

Het Wiszard, congrasts on bringing a new hunter on board. My wife and 3 daughters are hunters, so I can relate to you.
I really like taking first timers out on pig hunts. Usually you'll have several chances and it's a low stress, fun hunt.
The antelope, or cow elk hunt would be another opton, but you can do a pig hunt anytime, pretty much anywhere in the state.

good luck,
hwy

Hey, it's her gun. I wouldn't dare say anything because she taught me a long time ago I'm not the boss.

I've always has second thoughts about teaching her to shoot. It was especially painful when she kicked my azz trapshooting.:cautious:

hey bluehair your marriage sounds just like mine!!!!!!!

Will she drink all the beer ?

My wife likes horses and I like hunting so we loaded up two horses and headed to eastern oregon elk hunting. That was 1986. We have hunted every year since. We typically archery hunt in general areas so my wife has not killed much. But she always comes back to camp with great stories.

Cachuma Lake. I thought I knew most of the lakes in California but I've not heard of Cachuma Lake. In Santa Barbara County, a little farther south than where I used to roam. Looks beautiful there.

Cachuma Lake. I thought I knew most of the lakes in California but I've not heard of Cachuma Lake. In Santa Barbara County, a little farther south than where I used to roam. Looks beautiful there.
It is a beautiful lake. We camp there a bit with friends. Where did you roam, eel?

It is a beautiful lake. We camp there a bit with friends. Where did you roam, eel?
Mostly northern California on any lake or reservoir that allowed duck hunting with a scull boat. I lived in Turlock for about a year and we fished Don Pedro and McClure a lot plus sculled from Morro Bay north. Plus the Merced River, O'neill Forebay, San Louis Reservoir, Clifton Court, Modesto Reservoir, Turlock Reservoir, Lake Oroville and the after bay, and about a dozen more north of all that. Lake Almanor, Westwood, Eagle Lake, Big Lake, Fall River, Big Sage Reservoir, Roberts Reservoir, Indian Tom, Antelope Reservoir, Stampede Reservoir, and some that I can see in my mind but don't remember the names. Have scull boat, will travel....

And my wife used to go with me a lot too, but she didn't hunt.

I HAD NEVER TAKEN MY WIFE EVEN ON A BUTTERFLY HUNT, EVER !! BEEN MARRIED 42 YEARS (A COUPLE OF THEM WERE GOOD). I WAS BOOKING A ELK HUNT ON THE PUTER WHEN SHE LOOKED AT THE SCREEN AND SAW THE MAGNIFICENT LODGE I WAS GOING TO BE STAYING IN..........AND SAID I WANT TO GO TOO. WE WENT & SHE HAD A TON OF FUN HEARING ALL THE ELK BUGLE, TAKING WALKS, AND EXPLORING THE MOUNTAINS. ON DAY 4 I KILLED A GOOD 6X6, IT WAS THE 88TH BULL WE SAW THAT DAY. SHOT HIM A 326 YARDS LAYING IN HIS BED. THEN, SHE RETIRED FROM TAGGING ALONG...............IT WAS A GREAT ELK TRIP..........YD.

I HAD NEVER TAKEN MY WIFE EVEN ON A BUTTERFLY HUNT, EVER !! BEEN MARRIED 42 YEARS (A COUPLE OF THEM WERE GOOD). I WAS BOOKING A ELK HUNT ON THE PUTER WHEN SHE LOOKED AT THE SCREEN AND SAW THE MAGNIFICENT LODGE I WAS GOING TO BE STAYING IN..........AND SAID I WANT TO GO TOO. WE WENT & SHE HAD A TON OF FUN HEARING ALL THE ELK BUGLE, TAKING WALKS, AND EXPLORING THE MOUNTAINS. ON DAY 4 I KILLED A GOOD 6X6, IT WAS THE 88TH BULL WE SAW THAT DAY. SHOT HIM A 326 YARDS LAYING IN HIS BED. THEN, SHE RETIRED FROM TAGGING ALONG...............IT WAS A GREAT ELK TRIP..........YD.
please stop yelling. Or are you just that excited?

Sounds like a great trip....88 bull elk in one day? That would be amazing! Was it her last trip because it took you 4 days to fill your tag or just because she didn't feel the need to do it again?

WISZ, SHE WOULD LIKE TO DO IT AGAIN, BUT I AM HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING BACK ON THE RANCH PROPERTY. RANCH MANAGER SAID HE HAD 100 BULLS FOR EVERY 50 COWS........NICE PROBLEM TO HAVE. SAW ONLY A COUPLE OF RAG HORNS IN 4 DAYS & AVERAGED 70 BULLS A DAY. NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE IT IN ALL MY DAYS. !!!! I WOULD LOVE TO GO BACK. THERE ARE OTHER RANCHES AROUND WITH THE SAME NUMBERS OF ELK, BUT A GUY HAS DO SOME HOMEWORK & SPEND A FEW BUCKS..............................YD.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom