Wife's First Hunt

joevegas

After many years of going hunting with our 3 girls and myself, she finally wanted to give it a SHOT-which shocked all of us! She became a glassing junky as time went by and once we got her the BTX a couple years ago she found more and more animals. After my muzzleloader hunt this past September (which I missed, got busted and failed in every way possible) in SW Colorado we had so much fun-she was all in! I was fortunate to get a really nice deer in Utah's Diamond Mountain South Slope a few weeks ago and all she could say was-I am going to get a bigger buck than yours and whip your ---! Guess she was right but we didn't expect this! Our guide (Derek Higgins from Mesa Verde Outfitters) found this buck immediately opening morning but we couldn't get a good enough shot as he wouldn't stop chasing doe's. Later that evening here we go again thinking we aren't going to see this buck again. Derek glassed him up behind a bunch of doe's again quite a ways off, he thrashed on trees and shrub for a good 10 minutes and then checked out the area for quite a while before stepping out after the doe's again. Once he got to 350 yards she took him! Fortunate for a first time hunter but-after all the years stuck hunting with the girls and I in not very favorable conditions, hard work and etc. she wound up with what she deserved-a better buck than any of us. By the way, she's also a grandma and we have the second on the way. This is the first year we have ever considered using a guide and damn glad we did. Will and Derek from Mesa Verde outfitters went way, way beyond their call of duty taking care of us and none of this would have happened without Serge from Urge 2 Hunt. I have contacted Serge for several years about many hunts and although we never took any of his hunts until this year-he always shot straight with us and you can trust what what he says. Special thanks to Bryant Barnson and Cody Bliss from Ely, Nevada for setting up her 300 Win Mag and teaching her how to shoot and our life long family friend Drew Edwards from Spring Creek, Nevada. Drew is a former neighbor and has helped us from Jarbidge to the Rubies and as some of you already know-his wife puts on the Big Buck & Bull Contest each year in Spring Creek, Nevada. A lot of hunting folks played a role in this and we are blessed to be associated with all that feel, think and believe in the same things we do!! And a special thanks to Jake Gardner for our Diamond Mountain hunt. He and his family (wife Amanda and 2 year old daughter Layton) took care of us so well that we can't thank them enough. Just our type of people!!!

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_3324.jpg

"all she could say was-I am going to get a bigger buck than yours and whip your ---! Guess she was right"

Indeed. She was right. LOL! Man, what a monster. Congratulations!

Yah she's ruined now for sure! Broadhead-after decades, I am used to her whipping my---!! LOl Our 3 girls always did as well and I hope our grandkids are interested in doing the same. Being born and raised by a football coach-worst thing that can happen is returning the opening kickoff for a touchdown as it's all down hill from there. However, what a kick in the --- to watch! NOW--I am going to whip hers on bull elk next year. Hopefully!!

Helluva buck! Way to get her out there, I wish I could get my wife into it.
72/73 3rd season? Private access? Sorry if I missed those details.

Thanks for the shout out Joe. A lot of what I learned was right here on Monster Muleys and I was just passing it along. Great folks here with great knowledge that has nursed me along my path of learning Western hunting. Congrats to you and Leslie on a great buck. You two admirably do everything together as a couple so its just as much your buck as it is hers, lol. Fatrooster aka Drew Edwards.

After many years of going hunting with our 3 girls and myself, she finally wanted to give it a SHOT-which shocked all of us! She became a glassing junky as time went by and once we got her the BTX a couple years ago she found more and more animals. After my muzzleloader hunt this past September (which I missed, got busted and failed in every way possible) in SW Colorado we had so much fun-she was all in! I was fortunate to get a really nice deer in Utah's Diamond Mountain South Slope a few weeks ago and all she could say was-I am going to get a bigger buck than yours and whip your ---! Guess she was right but we didn't expect this! Our guide (Derek Higgins from Mesa Verde Outfitters) found this buck immediately opening morning but we couldn't get a good enough shot as he wouldn't stop chasing doe's. Later that evening here we go again thinking we aren't going to see this buck again. Derek glassed him up behind a bunch of doe's again quite a ways off, he thrashed on trees and shrub for a good 10 minutes and then checked out the area for quite a while before stepping out after the doe's again. Once he got to 350 yards she took him! Fortunate for a first time hunter but-after all the years stuck hunting with the girls and I in not very favorable conditions, hard work and etc. she wound up with what she deserved-a better buck than any of us. By the way, she's also a grandma and we have the second on the way. This is the first year we have ever considered using a guide and damn glad we did. Will and Derek from Mesa Verde outfitters went way, way beyond their call of duty taking care of us and none of this would have happened without Serge from Urge 2 Hunt. I have contacted Serge for several years about many hunts and although we never took any of his hunts until this year-he always shot straight with us and you can trust what what he says. Special thanks to Bryant Barnson and Cody Bliss from Ely, Nevada for setting up her 300 Win Mag and teaching her how to shoot and our life long family friend Drew Edwards from Spring Creek, Nevada. Drew is a former neighbor and has helped us from Jarbidge to the Rubies and as some of you already know-his wife puts on the Big Buck & Bull Contest each year in Spring Creek, Nevada. A lot of hunting folks played a role in this and we are blessed to be associated with all that feel, think and believe in the same things we do!! And a special thanks to Jake Gardner for our Diamond Mountain hunt. He and his family (wife Amanda and 2 year old daughter Layton) took care of us so well that we can't thank them enough. Just our type of people!!!

View attachment 59277

View attachment 59278
Hell of a buck congratulations to your wife.

Let's see your diamond mtn buck

Jake H-Here ya go. We were dang happy with this buck and just as excited to meet our new friend Layton!! She loves looking for deer and reminded us of our 3 girls when they were young. By the way-her mom and dad-Jake and Amanda are pretty cool as well. LOL This is what hunting really is all about!!!!!

IMG_0828 (1).PNG

IMG_0830 (1).PNG

Yup...whooped your azz! LOL. She killed a bomber. That mass is so cool. Congrats on your buck as well.

A family that hunts together, stays together. Plus it will be a great story for the grandkids. Their friends will say, wow, your grandpa killed a huge buck. Nope, that's grandma's. :)

Awesome Buck. That one heck of a Buck
Hope she finds a bigger one on her next hunt.
Wall Hanger for sure.

Shes excited for this year's season and hopefully we draw somewhere. Going to be tough as she has no points accumulated yet.

View attachment 59277

View attachment 59278
Great buck for Granny and Gramps. Congratulations. Hope you share a picture of that bad boy after you have him mounted up. Thanks for the cool story.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom