Wild America (a movie)

feddoc

Long Time Member
It is set in Arkansas during the 70s. It is supposed to be about 3 brothers who take off on a cross country trip filming wild animals.

But, most of the opening scenes involve the brothers doing stuff that may likely jail them in today's world.

In once scene the youngest is strapped to a chair with some rope which is also tied to an overhead pole. One of the brothers does some filming while the other is crawling across the pole with a knife. He cuts little brother loose and the chair then drops into a water filled stock tank.

Then the brother not filming starts tossing water proof firecrackers at little brother while he is in the tank.

SO......what kind of stuff did you do?

Two of my brothers and I were close in age. We engaged in physical fighting almost every single day. We broke furniture and doors all over the house. My dad said he wouldn't beat us if we would just get outside before we lit into each other but we almost never did. One thing I remember that I laugh about is sometimes all three of us would get in a fight with each other. You would think it would have been a 2 vs 1 fight. Nope. It was everyone for themselves. 3 boys fighting for 3 different reasons against all challengers.

One day my oldest brother moved away. The fights ended. Me and my other brother probably only fought 5 or 6 times over the remaining year we lived with each other. I guess all along we just needed space.

Having grown up with five brothers, I was on the giving and receiving end of a lot of pranks, and some were pretty mean.

My three older brothers would to call out for me to run up to the upper play yard. They would have their backs turned as I approached them. When I got close, they would turn around, with all three holding BB guns. They then would say, "now run". They would shoot me in the legs as I was running away. These were those old Daisy Pump BB Guns. Thank God they didn't have much power.

When we were young, my parents had a house in Palm Springs, which we would stay during Easter break. One time, I got one of my older brothers in trouble by ratting him out. He took it out on me by tossing me into a large cactus patch. My parents had to take me to emergency to pull hundred of cactus needles.

Another brother used to sneak up on me from behind, with an alligator lizard in hand. He would tap the lizards snout to get it to open, then would put the lizards jaws on my ear lobe, to clamp down. Alligator lizards have a strong bite!

When it was my turn to dish it out, it was on my two younger brothers. Both of my younger brothers used to love pulling "wheelies" on their Sting Ray bicycles. I would loosen the front tire nut so when they pulled up, the front tire would drop, and the wipeouts would follow.

My youngest brother loved mild pepperoncini when he was a kid. My dad always had a jar of mild peppers, along with super hot peppers in the refrigerator. I asked him if he wanted a pepper, and of course, I substituted the mild with a flaming hot pepper. As soon as he took a bite, I took my hands and held his mouth shut. In no time, tears began streaming down from his eyes, and his face was turning a deep red.

The best part is, when we have family reunions, we still talk about all the mean things we did to each other. My oldest brother is now 74, and my youngest brother is 61. We all still laugh at the stories.

Coincidentally, I watched that movie last night, and during the early part we were having dinner. My wife asked, "What's this movie supposed to be about other than them harrassing their little brother?" I had read the promo and told her they would eventually get to shooting film of wildlife.

I didn't have any siblings that would have led me down the wrong path, but I had plenty of friends to aid & abet me. :rolleyes:

One of the dumbest moves I ever instigated circa 4th-5th grade involved WWII vintage ammo my dad had stored in the attic. I would take several rounds at a time, and my two closest friends & I would go into the nearest woods, build a fire and proceed to feed the cartridges into it so they would explode. On one occasion, I took a round into the garage, clamped it in a vice on the workbench and used a nail & hammer to fire it. Luckily I was standing off to the side because the case shot off one way & the bullet the other way. Both stopped when they hit the opposite cinderblock walls but didn't penetrate.

Last edited:
BB gun wars and jousting with thistles on our bikes... to mention a few casual games I played with my brothers and neighbors kids.

Did any of yall take a beating for "being there" from your parents. Those used to piss me off. For instance. You and some other boys are playing in the street. Your friend picks up a rock and throws it. It breaks a house window. The parents come out and catch him. He gets in trouble. They call your parents and they beat your butt for "being there". No kidding that stuff happened all the time.

Last edited:
My Dad was right handed, and used to hold me up by the left arm and whack my azz!!! I swear my left cheek is flatter than the right to this day!!!

I used to watch the Three Stooges all the time and thought it was pretty funny. My younger brother was 7 years younger than me. I was about 14 and Tim was 7.

Dad volunteered the whole family to help paint the outside of the church. Of course Tim was too little to help and he rubbed it in all morning. On a whim, I loaded up my brush with paint and slapped him in the face. (Three Stooges style).

It was funny when the Three Stooges did it. Not so funny when Tim started crying and the whole church came over to see why little Tim was crying. I instantly became Satan, and dad beat the Satan out of me.

BB Gun wars! We used trash can lids for shields and loved the noise of them hitting our shields. I took one in the left eyebrow where it stayed until I picked it out over 6 years later.
Throwing eggs off a hillside at a biker group down below.
Filling a 30.06 shell with powder, tapping in a bolt where the bullet would be , setting it on a stump with gasoline and lighting it on fire. Shrapnel missed me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom