Wildlife Board meeting is Thursday, April 26

Amy

The Utah Wildlife Board will meet at 9 a.m. this Thursday morning (April 26) to set big game and antlerless permit numbers for 2018.

There are also a variety of other topics on the agenda.

Anyone who wants to attend the meeting in person is welcome. We are also streaming the meeting online via YouTube (see below), and the meeting video will be available after the broadcast for those who can't watch it live.

Thanks,
Amy

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-18 AT 03:55PM (MST)[p]Thanks for the link. I'll definitely be tuning in to hear their spin on the Airbow and powered crossbow scopes.

And the reasons for baiting (or not) of big game? Biological, ethical, or something else? And does Contingent mean it's an informational item, a discussion, a survey, an update on research, or an action item with a vote?

>And the reasons for baiting (or
>not) of big game? Biological,
>ethical, or something else? And
>does Contingent mean it's an
>informational item, a discussion, a
>survey, an update on research,
>or an action item with
>a vote?

Thanks for the question, elkfromabove. This Thursday?s presentation will be informational and provide some background on wildlife baiting in Utah. There?s a chance that the Wildlife Board could ask us to bring a baiting-related recommendation out this fall, but for now, this issue is just informational.

>>And the reasons for baiting (or
>>not) of big game? Biological,
>>ethical, or something else? And
>>does Contingent mean it's an
>>informational item, a discussion, a
>>survey, an update on research,
>>or an action item with
>>a vote?
>
>Thanks for the question, elkfromabove. This
>Thursday?s presentation will be informational
>and provide some background on
>wildlife baiting in Utah. There?s
>a chance that the Wildlife
>Board could ask us to
>bring a baiting-related recommendation out
>this fall, but for now,
>this issue is just informational.
>
And thank you for the answer, Amy! I'm glad we'll have some time to think about it and have some input if it develops into a issue that impacts opportunity.

I'm Seriously Thinking about Baiting this Buck!

51468buttonbuck.jpg

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>I'm Seriously Thinking about Baiting this
>Buck!
>
>
>
51468buttonbuck.jpg

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Baiting that one should be a cinch for ya Bessy. After all you are a master baiter ;-)

I'd like to second Doyle going to Iraq.

What a freaking tool.

Hope that guy has a massage appointment after this, his arm has got to be tired from patting his own back.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>I'd like to second Doyle going
>to Iraq.
>
>What a freaking tool.
>
>Hope that guy has a massage
>appointment after this, his arm
>has got to be tired
>from patting his own back.
>
>
>
>From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN,
>PUBLIC LAND.

I didn't catch the Doyle part, what was said?

He was commenting about elk # and trophy. Not exact quote but:

Guides and outfitters are the greatest hunters in the world. We could send them to Iraq to fix that.

Then that guides and outfitters advertise and that makes Utah more money.

I should have wrote time down.

That was a very informational meeting. I was impressed with how well the live streaming works. I bet a lot of work goes into making that run smoothly so thanks to the UDWR for putting that together and available.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-18 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]Ya. I want to agree with that.

If the mikes were just a tad louder that would be great for us deaf construction clowns. But I thought they did a nice job also.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-18 AT 06:36PM (MST)[p]My favorite comment coming from the DWR, "we always run the risk of waste" When talking about buck deer in Utah. I would love to see the number of bucks in Utah dying of old age, ON ANY UNIT.

Also 67% percent of youth drew last year. That means most 12-17 year olds would be able to hunt at least 3 tags during their "youth period". This did not include youth that were able to participate in the Mentor Program. Adults were at 62% percent. This means every other year adults should draw. So why do some units require 3,4,5 points to draw? Hmmm looks like quality is more appealing than having a tag in your pocket every year or even every other year. Pretty interesting when you look at the actual numbers and not just focus in on the emotional bantering. Follows the same lines as most of our society these days.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-18
>AT 06:36?PM (MST)

>
>My favorite comment coming from the
>DWR, "we always run the
>risk of waste" When
>talking about buck deer in
>Utah. I would love
>to see the number of
>bucks in Utah dying of
>old age, ON ANY UNIT.

You Remember a few years Back when they were claiming all them Big Bulls Dieing of Old Age in LE Units?

TOTAL BS!

Ya,It Might happen in Small Numbers,I Won't Argue that!

But It Helped them get their BS 4 Year old Age Objectives in order!

I'm With You Muley!

Around Here If they Make Make Age 3 they're considered Mature!

The Deer Herd In Utah is in PISS POOR Shape when it comes to Mature Bucks!

>
>
>Also 67% percent of youth drew
>last year. That means
>most 12-17 year olds
>would be able to hunt
>at least 3 tags during
>their "youth period". This
>did not include youth that
>were able to participate in
>the Mentor Program. Adults
>were at 62% percent.
>This means every other year
>adults should draw. So
>why do some units require
>3,4,5 points to draw?
>Hmmm looks like quality is
>more appealing than having a
>tag in your pocket every
>year or even every other
>year. Pretty interesting when
>you look at the actual
>numbers and not just focus
>in on the emotional bantering.
> Follows the same lines
>as most of our society
>these days.

I'm spend a ton of time late winter early spring in the unit I hunt.... And I guarantee you there's no deer dying of of old age...

>I'm spend a ton of time
>late winter early spring in
>the unit I hunt.... And
>I guarantee you there's no
>deer dying of of old
>age...

EASY Tikka!

Old = 3 now days!

They're Dieing Alright!

KUDOS TO SFW TROY JUSTENSEN SAID EXACTLY WHAT NEEDED TO BE SAID. GOOD JOB SFW I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY THAT. BUT GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE

>KUDOS TO SFW TROY JUSTENSEN SAID
>EXACTLY WHAT NEEDED TO BE
>SAID. GOOD JOB SFW I
>NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY
>THAT. BUT GIVE CREDIT WHERE
>CREDIT IS DUE

#1+

I agree. I have been highly critical of SFW on a number of issues but I really appreciated Troy's comments during the Wildlife Board Meeting. We should reevaluate our elk season dates. It makes no sense to hunt bulls when at the time when they are most vulnerable with the most effective weapons. Look around the West. There is a reason that Utah is the only state that does this.

-Hawkeye-

>>KUDOS TO SFW TROY JUSTENSEN SAID
>>EXACTLY WHAT NEEDED TO BE
>>SAID. GOOD JOB SFW I
>>NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD SAY
>>THAT. BUT GIVE CREDIT WHERE
>>CREDIT IS DUE
>
>#1+

So?

It Took about 25 Years for somebody to get the Info from another Guy in another State to Figure this Sshhiitt out?

Kinda Funny!

Everything for Quite a few Years was doing just Fine on the LE Elk Units!

Guides/Outfitters/Average Joe Blows were Harvesting some Amazing Animals!

Then!

All of a F'N Sudden The DWR Starts Lowering Age Objectives which = More Permits which = more F'N Money & a Few Years down the Road here We F'N are!

After 25 F'N Years,all of a F'N Sudden We're gonna Blame it on the Rifle Hunters Hunting the F'N Rut!

The Feather/Stick Flippers took their turn!

Then the Rifle Hunters have took their Turn!

It's F'N Near Time the SmokePolers get a Shot at it Right Dead F'N Center of the Rut!

"Then!

All of a F'N Sudden The DWR Starts Lowering Age Objectives which = More Permits which = more F'N Money & a Few Years down the Road here We F'N are!

After 25 F'N Years,all of a F'N Sudden We're gonna Blame it on the Rifle Hunters Hunting the F'N Rut!

The Feather/Stick Flippers took their turn!

Then the Rifle Hunters have took their Turn!

It's F'N Near Time the SmokePolers get a Shot at it Right Dead F'N Center of the Rut!"

You always bring a smile to my face Bess. If those jack wagons at the UDWR ever give me another tag I'll buy you dinner and Beer(s).

LAST EDITED ON Apr-28-18 AT 05:34AM (MST)[p]+3?

I thought his whole speach was good. I had my screwgun going when he started I didn't hear who it was. Good on him.
Even better though was I don't think it was too shocking to anyone on WB or dwr.

Reality is the reality. That moved season seems pretty common sense, would improve things.

Not sure how Rambo Moss would like it, be harder on business I suppose, and we do owe our success as a state to him, he does advertise.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-18 AT 00:34AM (MST)[p]I stayed up until 3am watching the entirety of this 5 hour video. Why? Because Utah doesn't want to slow down any changes to actually see any results. Therefore I have to keep up.

Donnie Hunter cracks me up though.
At:
2hr 21 minute mark he said even the DWR doesn't follow their own deer management plan.
At:
2hr 34 minute Donnie said that we are getting less for the tags from the expo.

I believe there was some confusion among the board members when it came time to vote at the end of the deer section with the questions some of them had. Even I was confused when they didn't act on making changes to the overcrowding issues on unit 4/5/6 with a heavy tag increase. Did anyone else notice the confusion?

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

I watched most of the meeting.
Troy Justensen, President of SFW is very passionate, like he said in front of DWR and other sporting groups. We can have a great product and provide more opportunity for elk hunting. Our job is to take care of all sportsmen and our elk herd. We need to look at management more like AZ. Troy gave a couple examples how to work with ranchers and provide more elk to hunt in some units. Work together for the common good.

Troy also helped get the pheasants hunts and transplant program going. He also has done a lot to help with kids fishing programs and hunts for veterans.

It was a good over all meeting. We will see if things get changed some in November.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-18 AT 09:10PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-18 AT 09:03?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-18 AT 08:56?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-18 AT 08:55?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-18 AT 08:20?PM (MST)

>So is there a document available
>with tag #'s by unit?
> Sorry if I missed
>that somewhere. Thank you.

https://wildlife.utah.gov/public_meetings/rac/2018-03_rac_packet.pdf

Edited: Sorry, but I couldn't get the link to work even with the first four edits! It works now!

Wow! Who ever put in for 4/5/6 should be getting a tag! I should have put that down as one of my rifle choices! If only I would have known the permit numbers before the application deadline....

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom