Wildlife task force 90-10, etc.

BuzzH

Long Time Member
The initial 2 day meeting of the 18 member task force is in the books. Ground rules were set, introductions were made, and a list of items to address was presented. Within that list, there was a ranking of priority that I didn't get a photo of, but should be available on the website soon.

The list, written notes are mine, I think I captured MOST of the changes:

IMG_20210617_213107389.jpg

IMG_20210617_213537965.jpg

So, the Chairman was voted on and that position went to Rusty Bell, Co-Chairman position went to Josh Coursey.

Right out of the gate today, the top issues were voted on and 90-10 for the "big 5" (moose, sheep, goat, bison, and grizzly) was the top priority. A motion was made to have a recommendation move on 90-10 prior to the upcoming legislative session. That passed with unanimous consent with details to be worked out between now and July.

Testimony was given by several folks, and Sy Gilliland with WOGA went on record in full support of 90-10 in some form for those species. Still debate on making those species once in a life-time in addition to 90-10 and if changes to preference points for those need a change as well.

The task force seems intent on getting a 90-10 bill in front of the legislature for the 2022 session. IMO, I think the recommendation of the task force is going to hold a huge amount of sway with the legislature. The legislature also is really anxious to get this issue behind them. In the meantime, there will be opportunity for the public to comment. I can sense a strong tail-wind picking up momentum to get 90-10 for the big 5 to the legislature...the remaining issues, including 90-10 for deer, elk, pronghorn and some others, will be much more contentious I think and much harder to come to a recommendation.

What was the most disappointing was the poor showing by Resident Sportsmen at the in person meeting. I don't know how many weighed in via zoom. I tried to keep a few people up to date on what was happening yesterday and today.

In the meantime, the task force members are encouraging public comment on all of these issues...and per always, those that show up, get heard. Those that don't...they eat dust.

Last edited:
Hey guys hope yall are well, what animals are included in this big 5?

I'm assuming:
Sheep
Mountain Goat
Moose
Bison
???

Calling all Wyo nonres!

Are you aware that Wyoming has a task force that currently is meeting and figuring out strategies for stripping nonres of limited big game tags? Are you aware that Wyo outfitters could potentially strip DIY nonres hunters of tags similar to what New Mexico did several years ago?

Are you aware that with 90/10 that 1/2 of the current high demand nonres tags would be stripped from nonres? Cutting nonres limited tags in 1/2 carries a major impact to nonres while it only provides a handful more tags/unit to Wyoming residents. If you think point creep is bad now wait until it takes twice as long to draw high demand tags! The economic impacts to Wyo small town communities and the WG&F are also a reality!

If you are a DIY hunter that enjoys hunting without hiring an outfitter/guide I would also suggest providing comments to the task force. High demand tags could be taken directly away from the nonres hunter pool similar to what was done in New Mexico.

Now's your chance to speak up and voice your opinion! If you are a concerned nonres please send your comments to the task force. The more nonres that flood the task force with comments the more attention and impact we can make! There is no one on the task force other than outfitters that are voicing DIY nonres hunters recommendations so make your voice made! Make sure to provide constructive comments at the following website.

Here's a link to the task forces website: https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

There is no one on the task force other than outfitters that are voicing DIY nonres hunters recommendations so make your voice made!
In a day and a half of meetings there was no one that voiced DIY NR hunter recommendations. In fact the outfitters(WYOGA) voiced their support to 90/10 for the "big 5".
I was told by a former legislator that ever increasing resident support for 90/10 and emails from hundreds of NR were the main reason 90/10 was the #1 topic at the Task Force. Apparently many legislators are tired of emails from non-constituents.

Wilderness guide law is a possible future topic under #4 so there is that!

Why would WYOGA voice support of 90/10 for the big 5? It would be like slitting their throats for their clients? Do they have another motive?

I’m glad I haven’t been coughing up $$ for preference points for Sheep and Moose over the years….. Those will go from something-to-worthless overnight…..

Why would WYOGA voice support of 90/10 for the big 5? It would be like slitting their throats for their clients? Do they have another motive?
Why do you ask questions when you don't listen to the answers? And you never answer anyone else's questions to you. So come on Jims, what was the last year you hunted G?

I’m glad I haven’t been coughing up $$ for preference points for Sheep and Moose over the years….. Those will go from something-to-worthless overnight…..
Maybe NR will stop applying for the approx 20 sheep tags or 30 moose tags that Wyoming would still issue to them after 90/10.

I highly doubt it.

The Wyoga is pretty much all nonres have! Not sure if anyone on the task force is aware of economic impacts to small town business but they should also be overwhelming supporters of nonres! Seems a little weird that there isn't 1 nonres DIY hunter on the task force when they share such a big stake in what's going on? It seems like nonres have no other option but to provide comments?

If you are a concerned nonres....please keep piling your comments in! https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

Last edited:
The Wyoga is pretty much all nonres have! Not sure if anyone on the task force is aware of economic impacts to small town business but they should also be overwhelming supporters of nonres! Seems a little weird that there isn't 1 nonres DIY hunter on the task force when they share such a big stake in what's going on? It seems like nonres have no other option but to provide comments? If you are a concerned nonres....please keep piling your comments in!
Name one state that has created a board for a hunting issue and has had a non resident diy hunter sit on the board?

Wait that was a question. We know you dodge questions…

The Wyoga is pretty much all nonres have! Not sure if anyone on the task force is aware of economic impacts to small town business but they should also be overwhelming supporters of nonres! Seems a little weird that there isn't 1 nonres DIY hunter on the task force when they share such a big stake in what's going on? It seems like nonres have no other option but to provide comments? If you are a concerned nonres....please keep piling your comments in!
The only "stake" you have is what Residents decide they want to give you...

You're sense of entitlement is something else.

Maybe NR will stop applying for the approx 20 sheep tags or 30 moose tags that Wyoming would still issue to them after 90/10.

I highly doubt it.
Anything they don't feel they want for sheep and moose tags, I'm sure a Resident would be more than willing to take.

Resident hunters contribute to small towns. When I draw my antelope tag once every few years i visit the stores, fuel and blah blah blah. Hell some residents get motel rooms. We contribute just as much. There is guys like me that dont apply for the local tags cause they are tough to get so we apply for areas further away so we have a chance at a tag and we bring our money...

As i have said before as a non resident to montana they got around $60 from me. $60 they got from my total of a dozen trips and a dozen scouting trips. My point is just cause a non resident comes into another state doesnt me i am making a small town filthy rich

I'll pass on the NR WYOGA support; they've "helped" me enough with the wilderness law and their attempts to switch the regular/special allocation, trying to set all nr tags to the special price level, an early nr Elk draw date, etc.

BTW, did you testify? I didn't hear your name called or see where you posed a question.

Resident hunters contribute to small towns. When I draw my antelope tag once every few years i visit the stores, fuel and blah blah blah. Hell some residents get motel rooms. We contribute just as much. There is guys like me that dont apply for the local tags cause they are tough to get so we apply for areas further away so we have a chance at a tag and we bring our money...

As i have said before as a non resident to montana they got around $60 from me. $60 they got from my total of a dozen trips and a dozen scouting trips. My point is just cause a non resident comes into another state doesnt me i am making a small town filthy rich
Can't be stated enough. The amount of money a guy from say Fort Collins spends in Wyoming for a pronghorn hunt just across the border, could be ZERO. Fuel range of 500+ miles on some vehicles and pack your own lunch...Wyoming won't see a thin dime in revenue.

A resident that lives here, isn't driving to CO to buy his groceries or fuel to hunt Wyoming...

When I draw tags half-way across the State...hotels, restaurants, gas stations, coffee shops (EVERY time), etc. all get my money.

Wilderness guide law is a possible future topic under #4 so there is that!
That's my biggest issue with WY. They have the right to manage R/NR allocations, outfitter licensing, tag quotas, pricing, etc... And if NR don't like it, they can apply elsewhere or move to WY and get residency.

But once the state issues the tag to a NR, I don't see the equity in forbidding licensed hunters from hunting solo on publicly-owned land (owned equally by ALL Americans, not just WY residents) that Resident hunters can legally hunt on their own.

That's the worst part of WYOGA in my eyes. I'd like to see WYOGA torn apart on that issue alone.

I mostly hunt out of town. Almost exclusively. I can just about guarantee you i spend more money in my state then any nonresident for consumables ill start scouting here pretty soom almost every weekend till season then ill be hunting well into November no non resdients spend more time and money here then me through out the year

That's my biggest issue with WY. They have the right to manage R/NR allocations, outfitter licensing, tag quotas, pricing, etc... And if NR don't like it, they can apply elsewhere or move to WY and get residency.

But once the state issues the tag to a NR, I don't see the equity in forbidding licensed hunters from hunting solo on publicly-owned land (owned equally by ALL Americans, not just WY residents) that Resident hunters can legally hunt on their own.

That's the worst part of WYOGA in my eyes. I'd like to see WYOGA torn apart on that issue alone.
Make it happen. Get a group going and get it done. It’s possible.

As always, I have data to back up what I say! Here's a graph showing Wyo res vs nonres contributions. Although nonres are a fraction of total Wyo hunters they contribute more $!
Res_Vs_Non.jpg

As always, I have data to back up what I say! Here's a graph showing Wyo res vs nonres contributions. Although nonres are a fraction of total Wyo hunters they contribute more $!
View attachment 43870
As always you dodge questions. NO ONE IS QUESTIONING THE GAME AND FISH REVENUE DOLLARS BROUGHT IN BY NON RESSYS

View attachment 43870
As always you dodge questions. NO ONE IS QUESTIONING THE GAME AND FISH REVENUE DOLLARS BROUGHT IN BY NON RESSYS
Not only is no one questioning the revenue stream, it's not going to change with 90/10.

Here's another interesting table that shows the same trend where nonres spend more in Wyo than residents even if there are fewer nonres. If you divide the total economic contribution by the number of nonres or res hunters you can get contribution/hunter. Nonres contribute $2,782/nonres hunter while resident hunters only contribute $2,412/hunter. Wyo guided nonres hunters contribute $7,326/hunter. I guess that's one reason DIY nonres are supporting outfitters!
IMG_2773.jpg

Thanks for attending and posting the information, Buzz! I'm not a fan of points for deer and elk, but they would work well for resident antelope. I appreciate the work you do to keep us informed.

^^ well said.

I appreciate Jims sitting on his butt not doing anything but crying. It’s nice to know his backwards thinking leads to no where.

Here's an interesting article written in one of the Eastman's blogs. It summarizes 90/10 the past couple years.

The Quick, Fiery Death of Wyoming Senate Bill SF0103​

Guy Eastman, Editor-In-Chief March 31, 2021 Regulations 11 Comments 3,602 Views

BLOG_ARTWORK_SB103.jpg

Rest easy- Your hunting licenses will not be increasing by 85%, for now.
Keeping with tradition, the odd years in Wyoming bring odd and sometimes tired old retreads of legislative bills gone by the wayside from the past legislative session. Senate bill SF0103 is one such case. This bill has been refined from the last time it was introduced but still lacked any real serious support at the state legislative level. The bill failed miserably to emerge from the senate TRW (Travel, Recreation and Wildlife) committee by a vote of 1-4, meaning this proposal was far from favorable once the Committee looked further into the repercussions of such a bill on the Game and Fish Commissions fiscal responsibilities to the state’s sportsman and the department as a whole.
On a bit of a side note, Wyoming is a very traditional and conservative state by nature. Bills like these have a very, very tough road to reality in Wyoming. When it comes to wildlife related legislation, the state has a very guarded approach to wildlife related bills that do not have the full support of the Governor’s Game and Fish Commission. Wyoming sees wildlife management through ballot measures and stiff-arm legislation as a true threat to their system. I do not see our Governor ever signing a piece of wildlife related legislation without the full consent and recommendation of the Game and Fish Commission, period. The Governor appoints the commission at his discretion for a reason. There are lessons to be learned from the Colorado wolf reintroduction debacle.
The details of this bill are somewhat straightforward which is surprising for politics these days, but this is Wyoming after-all. In a nutshell, this bill aimed to cut the nonresident tag allocation for big game licenses to less than 10% from the historic norms of around 20%, depending on the species (moose-16%, sheep-25%, deer, elk and antelope-20%). The original bill introduced a few years ago was very simple and straightforward to that change. But the bill quickly ran into a brick wall regarding funding concerns given the fact that nonresident hunters contribute a massive haul of more than 77% of the total licensing revenue generated by the state of Wyoming. In addition, nonresident applicants in Wyoming contribute more than $12,000,000 worth of preference point fees each and every year to the Wyoming Game and Fish Department’s budget, while resident applicants only pony up an anemic $100,000. Plain and simple, slashing nonresident hunting licenses by half did not sit well with Wyoming legislators, Game and Fish Commissioners, Outfitters or our Governor. The original bill died quickly.
With the bloom of another legislative year brings another opportunity at a run for this bill as a more refined version including a funding realignment component that would, according to the bill, actually increase revenues to the state Game and Fish Department. This new retreaded bill, Senate Bill SF0103 again sought to cut the nonresident tag allocations by more than half, but also sought to nearly double the cost of what tags were left to nonresident hunters and applicants. In addition, the bill seeks to increase application fees slightly for both resident and nonresident hunters ($5 to $7 for resident, and $15 to $17 for nonresident) alike. The bill would also eliminate nonresident applicants from any hunt that garners less than 10 tags in the quota altogether and would create a $500,000 wildlife crop damage fund with the increased license fees, obviously a landowner crumb thrown in to increase potential legislator support.
The net result would be an $8 million increase in net revenue funding to the Game and Fish Department for the 2023 fiscal year. I assume that figure is correct given it was computed and verified by the folks cooking up the bill, but I did not take the time to back calculate the number as fact.
Some of the obvious problems with this bill include the fact that this bill would literally gut and neuter the nonresident preference point system as it stands. There would no longer be enough nonresident tags allocated into the system to operate the current dual application system placing all nonresidents into one single draw pool, essentially eliminating the “Regular” draw pool and placing everyone into the “Special” draw pool with massively increased fees. I also think this would probably collapse the Wyoming preference point system with demand. The state of Wyoming is seeing massive influxes of applicants into the system currently. For instance, five years ago Wyoming had a total of 67,000 total applicants with elk preference points inside the system, this year there will be nearly 125,000 nonresident applicants vying for an elk tag in the Cowboy State. This represents a massive increase of 87% or nearly 58,000 applicants! The system is not sustainable as it currently sits, without cutting the available tags in half.
The negative economic impacts to the state tourism industry would also be less than ideal as nonresident hunters contribute tens of millions of dollars to our economy each and every year in areas that otherwise see very little tourism dollars during the very busy summer months. The guiding and outfitting industries in Wyoming are a vital sector of our seasonal economy, like it or not. The hunting season also extends the tourism season by nearly two months in Wyoming towns like Jackson, Cody and Sheridan.
And of course, there is always the risk of making hunting more and more of a “rich man’s” endeavor with massive price escalations such as those proposed in this bill. The cost of a nonresident elk tag would increase by 59%, 76% for deer and a whopping 85% for antelope.
As for the resident perspective on all of this. I certainly do not speak for myself here. Most residents I talk to, do seem a bit intrigued by a potential increase in their share of Wyoming’s hunting bounty, but all in all really don’t think it is a fight worth having at this point. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it kind of deal. As a resident myself, I can understand that line of thinking. Would it be nice to get a few more tags for ourselves? Yeah probably, but is it worth the damage to our department and our economy? Probably not. The last thing we want as residents is our Game and Fish Department depending more on resident dollars to make their budgets work. Is the $62 resident elk tag nice to have? Yes, however that price comes as a sacrifice by the nonresident hunter. The more we depend on nonresident dollars for wildlife funding the more the state must consider nonresident concerns with regard to our wildlife management decisions. A potential down the road risk if you ask me.
And let’s face it, putting 741 bull elk tags back into the resident system of over 10,000 total elk tags really won’t change your draw odds by very much in the end. There’s no magic, hard tags are going to be hard to draw no matter what you do.
Be careful what you wish for. I have talked to numerous out of state hunters that are fed up with the tough draws and increasing prices in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho and rebelling from the system not by dropping their applications, but by moving there to gain residency. This will undoubtedly increase the demand on the resident application systems throughout the West in the future, which could actually play into the need for bills like this in future.
If you look at this bill fairly however, one could make a very strong argument for a future tag allocation realignment for nonresident applicants. Particularly when you compare Wyoming’s very, very generous nonresident allocation to that of other neighboring states. A 25% nonresident tag allocation for bighorn sheep seems extreme when compared to most other states in the West where a 5% allocation is more the norm.
No matter what you think of Senate Bill SF0103, the signs all point to increased nonresident tag prices and reduced nonresident tag allocations throughout the West for the future. There just isn’t enough wildlife resources in the West for the increasing, massive demand we are seeing headed our way. The CoVid-19 pandemic is creating a massive population redistribution throughout the country and conservative Western states are seeing more than their fair share of new residents making this situation accelerate even faster.

I don't like it even a little bit but I also don't blame the residents for backing this because it will help them draw some coveted tags FRACTIONALLY easier.

Every other State goes out of their way to limit (SCREW) the nonresidents so Wyoming is just catching up.

Thank you G&F and the generosity of the residents for the tags that I've had. It's been a pretty damn good ride!

Zeke

I am pretty sure the average Wyoming resident couldn't care less about what Eastmans has to say. JIMS, you have that in common with the Eastman boys... nobody cares what you think either.

90/10 is what almost every state currently offers so this is more than fair. On top of 90/10 I believe nonresidents should also see a solid increase in fees for tags/licenses. Feel free to come hunt in Wyoming, but rest assured it is a privilege and you will need to pay for the privilege to hunt OUR animals. If you don't want to pay, we are more than happy to give the more expensive/more coveted tag to someone else that appreciates the privilege being extended to them. Sucks that it has to be that way, but it really does need to be that way.

Buzz,

So I watched the first day. It was interesting, Sy started off tooting his horn pretty hard on how he had defeated the 90/10 many times. It was hard to hear on ZOOM at times...

Can you clarify where they ended up on consensus? I heard talk about super majority, then even 50/50 split. Then discussion about including supporting and dissenting position and more. The first day was mostly technical stuff.

I appreciate your list.

For the second day I watched and participated in the Baggs Migration Corridor group. I will be posting a summary soon...

My guess is that some type of compromised is already made and this is just a guess based on the agenda and who is on the task force but they will recommend 90/10 and transferable landowner tags.

Before I get chewed out, this is based on absolutely nothing other than my opinion and looking at other states western states. For WYOGA to make such an abrupt change, transferable landowner tags would benefit them the most.

Ultimately Wyoming needs to do what is best for their voters, if they feel this is best thing then they should pass it.

Just a point about spending money of a resident vs a NR. Last year as a resident I spent over 90 days hunting and scouting. I would bet that by the time you add up my fuel, tires, vehicle maintenance, food cost, lodging/camping cost, sodas, ice creams, and more I spent as much if not more than most of the NR hunters. By the time you add up spring turkey, then summer scouting, then Archery hunts starting Aug 15th and Rifle hunts ending in November. The money spent by weekend warriors residents adds up a lot.

I have emailed in my thoughts. 90/10 is a must. No preference points for residents on anything. Keep it as random as possible. For the Big 5 lets use a bonus point system where everyone has a chance at every tag available, just those who have applied for 20 years have a slight advantage but not enough to never allow a 19 year old to draw...

Absolutely against transferable land owner tags. However would support a Private land only tag that hunters can apply for in the regular draw and those limited tags be no more than a small percent of all tags available for the unit.

My guess is that some type of compromised is already made and this is just a guess based on the agenda and who is on the task force but they will recommend 90/10 and transferable landowner tags.

Before I get chewed out, this is based on absolutely nothing other than my opinion and looking at other states western states. For WYOGA to make such an abrupt change, transferable landowner tags would benefit them the most.

Ultimately Wyoming needs to do what is best for their voters, if they feel this is best thing then they should pass it.
IMO, the compromising isn't over the big-5, that's why WOGA already tossed in the towel on that. Sy wants his grandkids to hunt sheep and moose someday and the only way to achieve that is more Resident tags and a bigger allocation. Pretty tough to achieve that goal any other way than 90-10.

The ask and compromise, if there is any to be had, will be 90-10 on the other 3, with the exception of maybe elk. I think Residents can get 90-10 on elk without giving up anything.

IMO, the compromising isn't over the big-5, that's why WOGA already tossed in the towel on that. Sy wants his grandkids to hunt sheep and moose someday and the only way to achieve that is more Resident tags and a bigger allocation. Pretty tough to achieve that goal any other way than 90-10.

The ask and compromise, if there is any to be had, will be 90-10 on the other 3, with the exception of maybe elk. I think Residents can get 90-10 on elk without giving up anything.
I actually think 90-10 on elk, would be the slam dunk. If they threw the towel right from the git go on the Big 5, I find it to be a poor negotiation strategy but you very well could be right. Given wilderness is on the table maybe that is where the compromise is being negotiated. No idea but interesting times.

I highly doubt it.
If I understand the system as it stands now, they would have to completely change the preference/random split, or completely get rid of the preference 75% to make it even possible to draw, without max points. Anyone under max will be stuck in purgatory forever. I’m just glad I haven’t donated all that money, that’s all.

For a state with the smallest human population, and amazing Deer, Elk and Antelope resources, along with the fact that you can get a great OTC Deer, and Elk tag, along with drawing antelope tags with the BEST odds in the west……Given all of that…

You residents that are lobbying for 90/10 on Deer, Elk and Antelope, are some, flat, greedy bastards, with very short sight.
I hope none of you that support that, ever hunt or apply outside of Wyoming, because you wouldn’t want to be treated that way.

As a NR, it’s already a very long wait for a good Elk, or Deer tag in Wyoming, even with the current allocations. It would immediately go to OIAL status if that were to pass.

View attachment 43870
This is the case in every Western state…. And residents from every state, also ***** and moan. I don’t think the Wyoming boys realize how good they have it.

For a state with the smallest human population, and amazing Deer, Elk and Antelope resources, along with the fact that you can get a great OTC Deer, and Elk tag, along with drawing antelope tags with the BEST odds in the west……Given all of that…

You residents that are lobbying for 90/10 on Deer, Elk and Antelope, are some, flat, greedy bastards, with very short sight.
I hope none of you that support that, ever hunt or apply outside of Wyoming, because you wouldn’t want to be treated that way.

As a NR, it’s already a very long wait for a good Elk, or Deer tag in Wyoming, even with the current allocations. It would immediately go to OIAL status if that were to pass.
That's exactly how I AM treated as a NR when I apply outside Wyoming...and that's fine with me.

I just expect the same good deal here as a Resident...like the Resident of my neighboring states enjoy.

Group hug ?

Money will rule the outcome down the road as NR fees get too high and they quit trying to draw a tag the resident hunter will have to start picking up the tab for the F&G dept.
I remember license was pocket change now They are huge.
NOTHING stays the same if you want to hunt you will have open the wallet up.

That wilderness law for NR is crap but they keep it for the outfitters welfare Can't denial that.

I apply for other states and dont like their system. So instead of getting on the internet and complaining i simply deal with what they have to offer. Also i quit applying for other states cause i dont like their system. Wow problem solved.

These comments of non resident self entitlement just push me to support 90/10 even more

I apply for other states and dont like their system. So instead of getting on the internet and complaining i simply deal with what they have to offer. Also i quit applying for other states cause i dont like their system. Wow problem solved.

These comments of non resident self entitlement just push me to support 90/10 even more
Dammit stop making sense!!

If I understand the system as it stands now, they would have to completely change the preference/random split, or completely get rid of the preference 75% to make it even possible to draw, without max points. Anyone under max will be stuck in purgatory forever. I’m just glad I haven’t donated all that money, that’s all.
It doesn’t have to change one bit. If 100 licenses are offered in an area then 90 go to residents and 10 are reserved for non-residents. The applicants with preference points would get 75% of 10 or 7 licenses and then 3 (25%) would be placed up in a random draw for non-residents. The Special Draw can also remain but that might be scrapped if we compromise and get an Outfitter Welfare draw kind of like New Mexico. Points will still remain an important part of the system for the Non-resident draws.

“You residents that are lobbying for 90/10 on Deer, Elk and Antelope, are some, flat, greedy bastards, with very short sight.
I hope none of you that support that, ever hunt or apply outside of Wyoming, because you wouldn’t want to be treated that way.”

This is laughable. All we seek is merely the same fairness and equitable treatment we receive as non-residents in almost every Western state. Many of us have to deal with 90/10 schemes in all the states we apply as non-residents. We are just seeking Equity here in Wyoming with a 90/10, after all we are the EQUALITY state.

”As a NR, it’s already a very long wait for a good Elk, or Deer tag in Wyoming, even with the current allocations.”

It sounds to me like you need to change tactics. Crying about the difficulty of drawing hotspot hunts when tremendous opportunity and hunting exist now in many other General regions means you just have to change tactics. Cow elk and doe antelope hunts can be extremely exciting and great for the family and fill your freezer along with tremendous outdoor recreation. Deal with it.

As they (non-residents) should provide the majority and bulk of the funding and in some species they even harvest the majority of the licenses offered. Wyoming appreciates and fully understands how important Non-resident revenue really is and will continue to offer many great hunting opportunities for non-residents in the future. The 90/10 won’t change that. Here is the data from 2019 license sales.

For Antelope: 64,664 licenses were sold and non-residents purchased 33,735 while residents purchased 30,929. That is a whopping 52% of all antelope licenses were sold to Non-residents.

For Deer: 82,667 licenses were sold and non-residents purchased 26,715 and residents purchased 55,952 licenses. This equates to 32.3% of all deer licenses were sold to non-residents.

For elk: 69,989 licenses were sold and non-residents purchased 13,128 and residents purchased 56,841 licenses. This equates to 18.76% of all elk licenses were sold to non-residents.

Wyoming offers far far more opportunity and will continue to offer it in the future for non-residents than any Western state. The only thing which will change is the premium licenses will go at a higher percentage to residents but many of those great quality family hunts which make lifetime memories will still be provided by Wyoming to non-resident hunters.
6741CDAA-A262-4259-BC1E-40F8FCBCDECA.jpeg

So what I think will be interesting to see what the impact of this is 10 years from now. I think the numbers probably won't change much in the short term, but will guys not having a premium tag continue to buy other licenses. What I am assuming is a guy draws an antelope tag and picks up a couple of doe tags.

So based on the 2019 numbers, will the 52% of antelope licenses sold to nonresidents start to shift to were it is only 40, 30, 20% and does that impact the G&F budget? What happens with point sales? Do guys throw a hail mary on random and do this across 6 states and just see what happens. Do guys treat Wyoming as a OIL elk or deer hunt and move on? Does it even matter given how high the demand is right now.

Does any of this impact the federal funding? Like would this change the PR payout for Wyoming? I honestly have no idea how that is calculated and if there is any impact.

I mean it has been said here before, no one is making anyone apply to Wyoming or any other state. I know when New Mexico changed their tag allocation I stopped applying, they still have a ton of demand and I am sure no one in New Mexico gave 2 sh*ts about my feelings or me not applying. I will probably treat Wyoming as OIL for elk and deer, maybe take my daughter for doe antelope, and be grateful for the opportunity. If I want in the Wyoming game I have to play by the Wyoming rules. If I stop applying I am sure no one will give 2 sh*ts, lol.

I also hope that Wyoming residents can understand that to a Non Resident it is a little disappointing that the rules are essentially changing in the middle of the game.

Hmmmm I’ll tell ya about very long wait out of state, Utah as an example, may never draw so I threw in the towel, they can have my 12 yrs for several species. I’ll just get rid of my point in Arizona and Colorado ASAP, which Colorado gone this year!! I’ll just stick to my Wyoming goods and try and draw some tags if not I’ll hit the mountains on my general tag and look for the best critters I can find instead of using time and money in other states. May do a whitetail hunt back East somewhere every few years but other than that I’m just fine in Wyoming.

Hmmmm I’ll tell ya about very long wait out of state, Utah as an example, may never draw so I threw in the towel, they can have my 12 yrs for several species. I’ll just get rid of my point in Arizona and Colorado ASAP, which Colorado gone this year!! I’ll just stick to my Wyoming goods and try and draw some tags if not I’ll hit the mountains on my general tag and look for the best critters I can find instead of using time and money in other states. May do a whitetail hunt back East somewhere every few years but other than that I’m just fine in Wyoming.
You forgot to mention the beastility.

The WYOGA gave in on the 90/10 for the big 5 because they are looking for something else out of the deer/antelope/elk. They can't win both fronts, so its easy to give in on the big 5. The key will be the next battle, deer/elk/antelope. That is where the money is for the outfitters. Don't expect them to be standing up for the DIY guy. The discussion will be about landowner tags and/or outfitter allotted tags. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Its funny to me that when the outfitters get tags set aside in MT all the folks are up in arms because it goes against the NR DIY hunter. But in WY, that argument never surfaces. Maybe, because the guys ranting are residents in Wyoming and not in Montana. There are thousands of post on this topic on another board. You should take a look at that and come back here and see if their any inconsistencies.

I expect the outfitters will get their share in this deal, the NR DIY guys will get the short end of the straw, not complaining at all, just how I think it will turn out.

Rich

As LostinOregon mentioned, the only people left out and without a voice in the task force is the DIY nonres hunter! I guess nonres don't matter even though what happens affects them more than anyone! I would highly recommend DIY nonres to actively contact the work force and voice your opinions.

Even after the task force makes their recommendations there is always the chance for nonres to voice their opinions to legislators. I really feel that legislators have been overwhelmed with emails from concerned nonres hunters and that's where nonres can carry their strongest voice! I'm not sure if that matters but it might?

I really feel that legislators have been overwhelmed with emails from concerned nonres hunters and that's where nonres can carry their strongest voice! I'm not sure if that matters but it might?
You're right about one thing(finally): legislators have been overwhelmed by comments from the NR.
The problem for you is, they don't like it one bit!
Every person who lives in Wyoming is a hunter or knows a hunter by family or friend. We elect our Sens and Reps, not the NR. So write your heart out, please, it does nothing but help the resident hunter.

You're right about one thing(finally): legislators have been overwhelmed by comments from the NR.
The problem for you is, they don't like it one bit!
Every person who lives in Wyoming is a hunter or knows a hunter by family or friend. We elect our Sens and Reps, not the NR. So write your heart out, please, it does nothing but help the resident hunter.
You just made his day. He read the first two words , shut his his computer off and is sitting there in la la land now. Probably went and chased down his wife to tell her “remember those guys who disagree with me? They said I’m right! IM RIGHT IM RIGHT”

The WYOGA gave in on the 90/10 for the big 5 because they are looking for something else out of the deer/antelope/elk. They can't win both fronts, so its easy to give in on the big 5. The key will be the next battle, deer/elk/antelope. That is where the money is for the outfitters. Don't expect them to be standing up for the DIY guy. The discussion will be about landowner tags and/or outfitter allotted tags. It will be interesting how this plays out.

Its funny to me that when the outfitters get tags set aside in MT all the folks are up in arms because it goes against the NR DIY hunter. But in WY, that argument never surfaces. Maybe, because the guys ranting are residents in Wyoming and not in Montana. There are thousands of post on this topic on another board. You should take a look at that and come back here and see if their any inconsistencies.

I expect the outfitters will get their share in this deal, the NR DIY guys will get the short end of the straw, not complaining at all, just how I think it will turn out.

Rich
Wrong, they gave in because Sy wants his kids and grandkids to have a better shot at drawing the big 5. He like everyone else, me included, know the only way for that to happen is to make more tags available to Residents.

He also knows that a lot of Resident hunters use outfitters for sheep, moose, goat and bison since by the time most hunters draw, 25+years into the system...they're gray hairs. Not many Residents have horses or the physical ability any longer to do these type of hunts on their own.

WOGA isnt looking for anything on the big-5...they aren't losing anything.

The action is yet to come...

Boy this sure lets the air out of a NR with just over 20 years of points. What will happen in all the units that now only offer 1 NR tag? Will these units be offered every other year? Like rotating units?

You can bet there will be even more nonres writing legislators because that's the only way nonres voice is heard and there is no voice for nonres on the task force. I'm sure a lot of nonres will indicate this when they converse with legislators!

JM, Buzz, and SS may not care but the truth is that Nonres contribute an incredible amount of revenue to the WG&F!

1624121735637.png

You can bet there will be even more nonres writing legislators because that's the only way nonres voice is heard and there is no voice for nonres on the task force. I'm sure a lot of nonres will indicate this when they converse with legislators!

JM, Buzz, and SS may not care but the truth is that Nonres contribute an incredible amount of revenue to the WG&F!

View attachment 43941
That's license revenue...and it won't change much under 90-10.

We can raise resident fishing licenses by $3 and resident full priced licenses by $10 each and cover it with room to spare.

Increase doe/fawn pronghorn/deer by $2 for Residents and $10 for NR's...big chunk of change.

I also think its about wayyy past time for Hotels, Restaurants, Gas Station, and outfitters to start paying for some management of our State lands and State Wildlife assets...

Using revenue for your argument isn't going to get you anywhere...and everyone knows it.

Wyoming Game and Fish is rolling in $$$ right now...they can't even spend it all.

I mostly hunt out of town. Almost exclusively. I can just about guarantee you i spend more money in my state then any nonresident for consumables ill start scouting here pretty soom almost every weekend till season then ill be hunting well into November no non resdients spend more time and money here then me through out the year

WOW great job Bookhead

Here is a serious question for everyone except HighFastFlyer (though I suspect he will be the first one to respond)? Could / can Wyoming balance it's G&F budgets without NR $? And has NR economic behavior been studied with any type of scientific approach?

Jims, explain to me who has the interests of the Wyoming resident on the task force? It’s a bunch of outfitters, landowners, and businesses owners. Senator Hicks might be the only one and I have to say, I haven’t agreed with some of the preference point gifting bills he has tried to pass for residents in the past. 90/10 is long overdue. Nonresidents should be pushing for revoking the wilderness rule. I’d have your back. Not sure why I asked you a question cause I know you’ll dodge it.

Buzz,

So if I am wrong, why even have the task force if the outfitters/landowners are ok with 90/10 on deer, antelope and elk without carve outs for them. No need for a task force of its that simple.

Rich

Regarding resident hunters versus non-resident hunters and how much money they spend on gas, food, hotels, etc… in Wyoming while hunting;

If a resident does not get a tag, I would bet he still spends most of that money in Wyoming.

If a nonresident does not get a tag, I would bet he spends very little if any of that money in Wyoming.

If you have less non-residents hunting in Wyoming, you will have less $$ spent in Wyoming.

Regarding resident hunters versus non-resident hunters and how much money they spend on gas, food, hotels, etc… in Wyoming while hunting;

If a resident does not get a tag, I would bet he still spends most of that money in Wyoming.

If a nonresident does not get a tag, I would bet he spends very little if any of that money in Wyoming.

If you have less non-residents hunting in Wyoming, you will have less $$ spent in Wyoming.
Why would I spend money on food, fuel, and lodging in Cody if I have no tag to take me there?...or Rock Springs, or Sundance, or Casper...

Further, if I'm hunting on tags close to home, I'm not going to purchase anything but fuel in the town I live in.

Restaurants would go broke in Laramie if they relied on me for revenue...same with hotels.

Buzz,

So if I am wrong, why even have the task force if the outfitters/landowners are ok with 90/10 on deer, antelope and elk without carve outs for them. No need for a task force of its that simple.

Rich
Elk going 90-10 is a loss for nobody...except those few outfitters that hunt a specific LQ area.

The debate is going to be with deer and pronghorn.

I get it, you like landowner and outfitter sponsored tags so you can avoid the draw, you may come out with the best of both worlds.

Wonder what Joshua miscoursey’s opinion is on transferable landowner tags. If I had to guess and sum it up in emoticons it would be ??

Buzz. Interesting point about separating elk from deer and antelope. Do you think each species will have different allocations.

Rich

Excavator's comments are right on the mark........If a resident does not get a tag, I would bet he still spends most of that money in Wyoming. Wyo residents eat and spend $ in Wyo regardless of whether they scout or hunt! It really doesn't matter if you drew a tag in Cody or you live in Laramie.....you are still spending the same $ in Wyo for food!

If a nonresident does not get a tag, I would bet he spends very little if any of that money in Wyoming. He won't be buying food in Cody, Laramie, or anywhere in Wyoming.

Buzz you are super confusing....twisting and turning posts that make total sense to everyone else!

Buzz is guessing that license revenues will remain the same with 90/10. A big chunk of that revenue is pref pt $! How many nonres antelope and deer hunters will drop out of paying for pref pts once they wait years to draw a tag? I have a feeling that a lot of nonres will drop out paying for pref pts because it is so expensive to apply each year and it will take longer and longer to draw tags as pt creep becomes pt leap! Nonres tags would be cut in 1/2 so it will take 2x as many years to draw the same tags!

What I don't think Buzz can come to grips with is there are only up to a handful of nonres tags offered in any given deer or antelope unit. If 1/2 of these tags are stripped from nonres it really won't improve a Wyo resident's draw odds much if at all for high demand limited units! This makes a huge difference to hundreds if not thousands of nonres plus the Wyo revenue.....and only slightly improves Wyo res chances of drawing high demand tags.

Buzz is banking on antelope doe and 2nd draw antelope tags to make up for revenue deficits after nonres limited tags are cut in 1/2!!!!! What happens in lean years when doe tags are cut because of drought and winterkill? What happens if antelope numbers crash? It usually takes several years to recover! Where will the WG&F make up for these losses? It's pretty much a gamble and impossible for the WG&F to rely on revenue off left over and doe tags to make up for 90/10!

If you have less non-residents hunting and applying for tags in Wyoming, you will have less $$ spent in Wyoming.

Last edited:
I thought I would add some interesting facts!

Unit 57 is considered one of the premier antelope units in Wyo. In 2021 there were 38 nonres and 297 res buck tags offered. If 1/2 of the nonres tags (19 tags) were stripped from nonres and offered to res it would increase Wyo res tags to 316 tags. There were 1,254 res applicants in 2021.

Draw odds for Wyo residents would be 24% without 90/10 and with the increase of 19 tags would increase to 25%. That's only a 1% better chance to draw with 90/10. The same thing is true with high demand deer and elk units! Is 90/10 really worth it?

I think a lot of Wyo res are going to be sorely disappointed that there draw odds aren't going to improve much more than they currently are with 90/10. It will likely take res the same number of years to draw high demand limited tags as before 90/10!

Unit 57 is considered one of the premier antelope units in Wyo. In 2021 there were 38 nonres and 297 res buck tags offered. If 1/2 of the nonres tags (19 tags) were stripped from nonres and offered to res it would increase Wyo res tags to 316 tags. There were 1,254 res applicants in 2021.

Draw odds for Wyo residents would be 24% without 90/10 and with the increase of 19 tags would increase to 25%. That's only a 1% better chance to draw with 90/10. The same thing is true with high demand deer and elk units! Is 90/10 really worth it?

I think a lot of Wyo res are going to be sorely disappointed that there draw odds aren't going to improve much more than they currently are with 90/10. It will likely take res the same number of years to draw high demand limited tags as before 90/10!
Actually your numbers are wrong. Insert surprise face here. 57 has a quota of 400 license. 297 were resident licenses, 76 non resident and 27 landowner licenses. Taking out the landowner licenses the odds would be as follows.

Now:

Residents have 23.6%

under 90/10 it would be roughly 38 more tags

residents would have 26.7%

The odds get even better with a lot of other areas.

Is 90/10 worth it? YES

Last edited:
Why would I spend money on food, fuel, and lodging in Cody if I have no tag to take me there?...or Rock Springs, or Sundance, or Casper...

Further, if I'm hunting on tags close to home, I'm not going to purchase anything but fuel in the town I live in.

Restaurants would go broke in Laramie if they relied on me for revenue...same with hotels.
I am not arguing that it would be spent in Cody, but I am arguing it would likely be spent in Wyoming.

You guys are basically saying that more non residents coming to your state does not result in more money being spent in your state. I don’t see how that could be true.

How could it be that more people staying in your state does not result in more money being spent in your state?

States all over the country are trying to bring more visitors to their state because it benefits their state financially.

Hey @jims i see you didn’t get the response from Rokslide members that you wanted. Where else are you crying the blues?

90/10…it’s coming!!!

Let me help you with your "facts"...

There's only one that matters...that under 90-10 in unit 57, 38 more residents will be very happy that 90-10 passed each year.

In a ten year period, Residents will have actually drawn 11 years worth of tags...or 380 Residents with great big smiles on their faces. Smiling because they got to hunt with their friends and family....I heard that's what its all about from a clown on the internet one time.

I would guess that clown would fully support 90-10 so 380+ more happy Resident hunters will be smiling.

Same with the big 5...over the next 10 years there's going to be 1,160 very happy Residents sheep, moose, goat, and bison hunters that were happy 90-10 passed.

You actually want to deny all those happy faces? You're a monster.

I am not arguing that it would be spent in Cody, but I am arguing it would likely be spent in Wyoming.

You guys are basically saying that more non residents coming to your state does not result in more money being spent in your state. I don’t see how that could be true.

How could it be that more people staying in your state does not result in more money being spent in your state?

States all over the country are trying to bring more visitors to their state because it benefits their state financially.
Since you seem truly unable to grasp the concept...let me explain, real life scenario.

My wife and I drew good tags in a unit in NE Wyoming. We normally wouldn't spend a nickel at the local place we drew.

We drive from Laramie to Sundance and book a very nice B&B because its easier than taking all our camping stuff. Of course, we have to eat dinner at the local restaurants. I don't drive back to Laramie to fill my truck with fuel. I get a flat tire, local tire shop gets to fix it. The wife wants to spend a few hours after our hunt shopping at the local gift shops.

What difference does it make financially to the local B&B, restaurant, tire shop, gift shop or gas station that I'm a resident hunter?

What additional money would be spent there from a NR that I'm not spending?

This same scene happens every year, in particular with Resident hunters who apply for the best tags and/or want the best odds of drawing. You do that, you're going to travel to do it...just like a NR has to.

Resident hunters book sheep hunts, moose hunts, goat hunts, bison hunts, bear hunts, deer hunts, elk hunts. They stay in hotels, they eat at restaurants, they get tires fixed, they buy fuel in towns all across Wyoming.

Those places don't charge Residents lower prices.

Isn't a tough concept....

This

Finally someone made an intelligent post with some knowledge of how economic impact studies are performed.

Most WY resident hunters have a fixed/limited amount of disposal income available to them. If they don’t have a tag, most will spend it on other activities/goods in WY. Most of that money will stay in WY anyways. NR spending is the exact opposite. Almost 100% of a NR’s WY spending walks out the door if that person doesn’t hunt WY.

Buzz’ point about residents not visiting some of the smaller WY towns may be true, but that is irrelevant when you analyze the impact on WY as a whole.

An honest economic impact study would likely lead to a significant negative impact to WY’s economy if NR hunt numbers materially drop. Many NRs spend a tremendous amount when hunting WY (travel, lodging, outfitters, food, hunting gear, butcher, taxidermist, etc). Outfitter fees alone have a tremendous economic impact. Those resident outfitters/guides spend most of their income in WY.

This

Finally someone made a an intelligent post with some knowledge of how economic impact studies are performed.

Most WY resident hunters have a fixed/limited amount of disposal income available to them. If they don’t have a tag, most will spend it on other activities/goods in WY. Most of that money will stay in WY anyways. NR spending is the exact opposite. Almost 100% of a NR’s WY spending walks out the door if that person doesn’t hunt WY.

Buzz’ point about residents not visiting some of the smaller WY towns may be true, but that is irrelevant when you analyze the impact on WY as a whole.

An honest economic impact study would likely lead to a significant negative impact to WY’s economy if NR hunt numbers materially drop. Many NRs spend a tremendous amount when hunting WY (travel, lodging, outfitters, food, hunting gear, butcher, taxidermist, etc). Outfitter fees alone have a tremendous economic impact. Those resident outfitters/guides spend most of their income in WY.
Really, how much money do out of state Guides and Outfitters spend in Wyoming when they don't live here?

Who says 90-10 will mean fewer NR's hunting? NR's get all the leftover resident tags in the initial draw and get a shot at 100% of the tags in the leftover draw. That won't change under 90-10. Full priced NR elk tags won't change either, regional NR deer tags won't change.

Do tag quota's ever change in LQ areas?

I can assure you...for a fact, elk changing to 90-10 right now, NR's will still draw more elk tags and the GF will get more revenue than 84-16 did 20 years ago when I moved to Wyoming.

We're swimming in elk...and that means more NR tags, which means more revenue to the department and local business interests as well.

You're over playing the economic impacts...and if that's the only card you have to play, you're drawing dead.

This is all going to be presented to the task force...that's a fact.

Good grief. I’m sure all the NR are worried about Wyoming’s economy and the WYGFD…..whatever. Grasping at straws…

Good grief. I’m sure all the NR are worried about Wyoming’s economy and the WYGFD…..whatever. Grasping at straws…
They care so much all they do is b itch, moan, and complain about tag fees...even when they only increase about once a decade.

I also noticed how they chipped in when oil, gas, and coal revenue tanked...you know, just to help the local economy.

Noticed all the NR's also showed up when the Legislature stripped 100% of the general fund money from the G&F. Care so much they just couldn't find the time to write an email or make a phone call on behalf of WYGF funding.

Joke...

I agree. It’s not a tough concept, but it looks like
it may be for you (Sorry if that’s a condescending sentence, but you are kind of pulling me in to it).

We are talking total $$ spent in the state, not total $$ spent in any specific location. You need to say that to yourself slowly several times.

You could possibly be correct in what you are saying about dollars spent in a specific location. However, I am not disputing that, but you can keep talking about it if you like.

The part you don’t seem to grasp is that if a non-resident and his wife get those tags in NE Wyoming they are spending money in NE Wyoming and you and your wife are spending your resident money elsewhere in Wyoming. That’s twice as much money being spent in Wyoming. Get it?

It’s really not rocket science. Don’t make it any more difficult than it needs to be. Wyoming residents will spend their $$ in Wyoming whether they get their resident controlled hunt tag or not. On the other hand, non-residents will not spend their $$ in Wyoming if they don’t get a tag. This will be true the vast majority of the time.

To be honest, I doubt many NRs give a $hit about the WY economy. They care about reduced NR tag allocations. I was just trying to explain what most intelligent decision makers consider before making recommendations.

Now maybe Buzz is correct about NR tag numbers not being impacted, but since no decisions have been made we don’t know. In any event, the actual number of tags is less relevant, it’s the overall allocation that matters.

I agree. It’s not a tough concept, but it looks like
it may be for you (Sorry if that’s a condescending sentence, but you are kind of pulling me in to it).

We are talking total $$ spent in the state, not total $$ spent in any specific location. You need to say that to yourself slowly several times.

You could possibly be correct in what you are saying about dollars spent in a specific location. However, I am not disputing that, but you can keep talking about it if you like.

The part you don’t seem to grasp is that if a non-resident and his wife get those tags in NE Wyoming they are spending money in NE Wyoming and you and your wife are spending your resident money elsewhere in Wyoming. That’s twice as much money being spent in Wyoming. Get it?

It’s really not rocket science. Don’t make it any more difficult than it needs to be. Wyoming residents will spend their $$ in Wyoming whether they get their resident controlled hunt tag or not. On the other hand, non-residents will not spend their $$ in Wyoming if they don’t get a tag. This will be true the vast majority of the time.
I get your "theory"...too bad it's not reality.

If I don't draw a tag where I have to travel, or if I don't draw a tag at all...I won't spend the same amount of money in Wyoming. So, that's totally false.

If I don't have a tag, I don't spend anything on fuel. I don't eat at restaurants. My tires don't get flat sitting in my drive way.

Also, if I hunt closer to home, there is NO way I'm staying in a hotel, no way I'm eating in restaurant, etc.

Also, don't forget many NR's spend very little here if they bring their camp with them. Essentially fuel and maybe some junk food at the gas station. Many don't have their animals butchered here. Many don't stay in a hotel. Many don't go out to eat. Many don't even buy groceries here. Most don't have their taxidermy done here either...which in fairness is a PITA to do when it comes to shipping.

That's not to say I don't get your theory/point...but you're also not getting the flip side either.

Of course, there's also the big dead elephant in the room, that you're falsely assuming NR hunter numbers are going to decline significantly...they aren't going to.

Which means either way, R and NR's are going to continue to spend a lot of money hunting Wyoming and businesses as well as the G&F, are not going to suffer financially under 90-10.

That's a fact.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom