Will Nonresident deer tags sell out this year?

BrianID

Very Active Member
A month ago, I would have guessed that the nonresident deer tags would sell out by early August. Not because the deer hunting has been good, but because demand was up.

If the economy doesn't bounce back by this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if the nonresident deer tags actually don't sell out this year.

What does everyone else think?

I think any non res who plans to hunt idaho should get while the gettin is good, and not count on lower tag sales. I got mine in december.

Would think lot hunters will wait and see. Is economy in shambles? are states still struggling with health care? Sure some have already committed and will follow thru. I pick up garbage for a living, not glamorous but definitely essential! Hopefully by fall we are back to some semblance of normalcy. The thing that appealed to a lot of nonresident and residents was being able to get that second tag or first in September or October during recession. Everyone could wait and see if they had openings in there hunt calendars. Last year before price hike as well.

I think they will sell out. Aside from the economy, this is the last year before non residents prices are substantially increased especially for youth. I’m a non resident and plan to hunt Idaho this year with my kids, because it’ll likely be my last year before I can’t afford to take the kids on an out of state hunt.

My mistake I meant Resident fees. Our tags are too cheap as it is. 19.00 for a Deer tag and 31.00 for Elk.
I agree with you Excalibur. The only problem is the last time IFG went to the legislature for an increase, the legislators wanted a bunch of riders attached to the increase. Until you get IFB out of the legislature, you’ll play hell in getting a clean increase.

Idaho and these other states that raised fees substantially this year are gonna eat crow. Terribly unlucky timing for their recent fee increase.

People will decide the week before the draw deadline. The next 2 months will determine everything. If I were to guess, $1,000+ ($1300 in WY) elk tags will be the last thing on NR minds.

I'd love to know how many people pull out of WY during their upcoming withdraw periods.

To raise fees and have deer and elk age class on the rise or at least have mature animals to hunt is one thing. To raise the fees and come to Idaho for poor trophy class animals, over crowded units and the never ending over lapping seasons isn’t what I’m into. It will be interesting to see how many hunters pull out of the controlled draws.

Read Brady Miller article on go hunt about mule deer in Colorado. Haven’t hunted Colorado since 2005 so, I can’t personally speak to issues he addressed, but made Idaho look a little more appealing. We probably won’t know where people are at with there priorities for couple months with Covid dominating news cycle. Hard to not see drop off for all western states. Tag prices probably won’t be number one reason people stay home. Crazy times we are living in. Hope everyone gets thru this with there parents and grandparents ok.

Idaho should look appealing, this is the dumping state for anyone who didn’t draw in any other states. Idaho fish and game will take your money, think about this if your a non-resident. Where in the western states can you buy an over the counter mule deer tag, no where but Idaho, do you really believe there are big bucks running around these open hunts, especially after two bad winter kills. Lets talk controlled hunts,they have raised the tag quotas in these units to the limit of where a 170 class buck is the new norm of trophy. So the meat eater bought First Lite which is based out of Ketchum Idaho and he pushes his oppurtunity hunting, now you have severely over crowded hunting units. I think all of you should buy tags, there are big Deer everywhere and there is a big buck for everyone. This isn’t management but the farmers don’t care they will take your money

This year might just be like it was a few years ago when they had a bunch of leftover non-resident deer tags leftover and they dropped the price to $199 I for one buy mine in December every years so I guess we will see what December brings this year...

I’m having doubts about the economy fully recovering by this fall. That is the biggest factor in selling out tags. If things get as bad as predicted I think there will be many guys that already bought tags that will end up being unable to hunt Idaho this fall. I know if I ended up missing a bunch of work the next couple months I wouldn’t be taking much time off to go hunting this fall. If I have limited hunting time and have to choose between General season Idaho or a controlled hunt tag almost anywhere else, I would be skipping Idaho general season.

We could also see a second wave of this virus this fall which could shut down Idaho to Nonresidents that want to visit to hunt. A guy from California already may not feel welcome visiting some small towns. “Outsiders” are going to feel less welcome than ever this fall if we see a second wave of this virus.

I’m having doubts about the economy fully recovering by this fall. That is the biggest factor in selling out tags. If things get as bad as predicted I think there will be many guys that already bought tags that will end up being unable to hunt Idaho this fall. I know if I ended up missing a bunch of work the next couple months I wouldn’t be taking much time off to go hunting this fall. If I have limited hunting time and have to choose between General season Idaho or a controlled hunt tag almost anywhere else, I would be skipping Idaho general season.

We could also see a second wave of this virus this fall which could shut down Idaho to Nonresidents that want to visit to hunt. A guy from California already may not feel welcome visiting some small towns. “Outsiders” are going to feel less welcome than ever this fall if we see a second wave of this virus.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Alaska has shut down spring bear. We aren’t out of the first wave yet. Dr. Fauci has already alluded to a fall resurgence. When I looked at IFG’s page, for some reason I thought 10k tags had already been bought. With the 10k left, I would be really surprised if they do sell out.

I know with everything shut down in Blaine county for another month, that I am being very careful about what I put in for around the west

This just showed in My email

Nonresident licenses, permits, and tags sales temporarily suspended by F&G Commission

Well ill be hunting idaho as a non resident this year. Hope my out of state plates dont piss people off, though i dont intend to be around people. Folks over there that see my plates will probably assume im from seattle. Really the area im going to be hunting the most is about 50 miles as the crow flies from my home. Somebody from boise would be about 350 miles from home as the crow flies. Not to mention theyd be from a major (for idaho) city. Got a deer tag, 2 bear tags, 2 wolf tags and 2 cougar tags. Hopefully i have enough free time this year that its not going to be an $1100 pot of tag soup.

A month ago, I would have guessed that the nonresident deer tags would sell out by early August. Not because the deer hunting has been good, but because demand was up.

If the economy doesn't bounce back by this fall, I wouldn't be surprised if the nonresident deer tags actually don't sell out this year.

What does everyone else think?
At their April 4 meeting, the Idaho Fish and Game Commission adopted a rule that temporarily suspends the sale of several types of nonresident fishing and hunting licenses, tags, and permits. The action is effective immediately and lasts until the rule is repealed consistent with relevant state of Idaho public health orders. Straight from their web site.

Yeah, that is for bear and turkey tags to slow the inflow of non-residents this spring. Here is the actual statement about non-resident tags:
"Nonresident hunting licenses along with currently available nonresident deer and elk tags are not included in the suspension. Nonresidents who purchase a 2020 hunting license may still apply for controlled hunts that will occur this fall."

Ya, but it will reduce a handful of us that come up every year bear hunting. Since we already buy the hunting license. It's a no brainers to put in for deer and elk.

As of right now the spring bear hunt is on hold and doesn't look good in changing prior to the spring bear hunt being over.

Sure it will effect others the same way.

This situation sucks and double sucks when effecting a yearly hunt. I understand the situation and just hope it all gets behind us quickly and the fall hunts can be enjoyed

Gettin a bit restless. I know its early but i think im going to head to unit 1 thursday morning and poke sround for a few days. Maybe i can get lucky and rustle up a bear or wolf. Glad i got my tags early.

Hope it opens up before May 15th or this years trip will be off and we will hope for next Year's May hunt.

That's where putting in for deer and elk come in this year. If we have hunting license already for bear hunt we put in for deer and elk. If we miss it there is no way I will by a liecence just to put in for a very small chance of drawing a better deer or elk unit.

Just me. I have other hunts in the fall.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom