Will the Covid hunting euphoria slow down?

DidIDraw

As I was looking at draw odds and putting in my apps I was wondering if the increase in applications will start to settle a bit as lives get busy again with regular stuff.
I see how much busier my life is getting as the pandemic dies down and don't expect to be able to hunt as much as the last couple of years.

If the cost of fuel effects you going out to hunt and spending days in the field you probably should not be hunting in the first place.
That is a horribly asinine comment. Cost is the primary limiting factor on any activity we do. If it was not for cost then we would not have to work at all, we would not have to balance days off vs working, we would all be hunting every where all year long and fishing all over the world every off season. Monetary cost including fuel is the single biggest limiting factor on 90% of the population.

last year fuel cost for my hunting and fishing were just over $3407. Same travel today would cost over $4800. That is just for hunting and fishing. Now add in the fuel you buy for work, kids activities etc. Right now it cost the average household over $300 more for the same standard of living than it did a year ago. It is expected that by summer the same standard of living will be up $500. So yes cost of fuel, cost energy, cost of insurance, all rising will limit virtually everyone on the time, and effort they spend in the field.

Last edited:
That is a horribly asinine comment. Cost is the primary limiting factor on any activity we do. If it was not for cost then we would not have to work at all, we would not have to balance days off vs working, we would all be hunting every where all year long and fishing all over the world every off season. Monetary cost including fuel is the single biggest limiting factor on 90% of the population.

last year fuel cost for my hunting and fishing were just over $3407. Same travel today would cost over $5200. That is just for hunting and fishing. Now add in the fuel you buy for work, kids activities etc. Right now it cost the average household over $300 more for the same standard of living than it did a year ago. It is expected that by summer the same standard of living will be up $500. So yes cost of fuel, cost energy, cost of insurance, all rising will limit virtually everyone on the time, and effort they spend in the field.
You are correct sir, my elk hunt is 325 miles from my house, it’s a six hour drive to camp. We take two vehicles, a F350 V10 pulling a 20’ camper and a F250 V8 pulling a 16’ trailer with a couple of 4 wheelers and gear. Camp is 25 miles off paved road at 9’600 feet, we hunt elk at 10’300 feet. It’s not only gas for vehicles, 4 wheelers, chainsaws and extra fuel in case of emergency or tagging out early and exploring country but many other factors starting with license, food, clothing, ammo, processing, taxidermy and the list goes on. This is just one hunt, I apply for deer, elk, oryx, Antelope, ibex and javelina. It truly is a multi billion dollar yearly adventure for hunters in the U.S.

Fuel costs are real. I was explaining that to my 11yr old that his Eurasian Dove offensive is costing dad $40 a weekend.

I was told I should work harder?

Ill be interested to see come OTC elk in Utah now with folks getting called back into office if the rush will be the same.

I’m not worried as much about Covid, but the big million dollar question is with Russia’s current status, what exactly is Putin’s stance on Trail Cams and bait. I’d hate to see them do away with bait piles and cams and blindlessly follow the way of the Utahns in such matters. The ole USSR is definitely a bucket list hunter all should strive for along with Texas hogs and Juab county jack rabbits.

B446DDAE-D0B0-49EB-98BD-EAF4DE023EAC.jpeg

94FC15F4-FECD-4E7E-A0FC-7EF9B5A403BE.jpeg

448D20D4-D649-43A7-BBB1-0F7601C575D5.jpeg

I’m not worried as much about Covid, but the big million dollar question is with Russia’s current status, what exactly is Putin’s stance on Trail Cams and bait. I’d hate to see them do away with bait piles and cams and blindlessly follow the way of the Utahns in such matters. The ole USSR is definitely a bucket list hunter all should strive for along with Texas hogs and Juab county jack rabbits.

View attachment 69849

View attachment 69850

View attachment 69852

What kind of commie **** are you into?

He's definitely pro cam?

You are correct sir, my elk hunt is 325 miles from my house, it’s a six hour drive to camp. We take two vehicles, a F350 V10 pulling a 20’ camper and a F250 V8 pulling a 16’ trailer with a couple of 4 wheelers and gear. Camp is 25 miles off paved road at 9’600 feet, we hunt elk at 10’300 feet. It’s not only gas for vehicles, 4 wheelers, chainsaws and extra fuel in case of emergency or tagging out early and exploring country but many other factors starting with license, food, clothing, ammo, processing, taxidermy and the list goes on. This is just one hunt, I apply for deer, elk, oryx, Antelope, ibex and javelina. It truly is a multi billion dollar yearly adventure for hunters in the U.S.
Sell the trucks, campers 4 wheelers etc. get a Subaru and a tent. No need to worry about fuel. You’re be too busy packing elk to the car!

eh, maybe. i can say that for me personally the cost of fuel has never been a factor. i'm paying what it is and not changing a thing i do. just going to cost more. comes down to priorities to a point unless you're really living on the edge of not being able to afford it in the first place. i see guys bich about price of fuel and not being able to hunt as much while there spending 20 bucks a day on lunch and 10 bucks a day on smokes....
I get what you're saying... I'm hoping Lundellhunting meant something similar. Ill be hunting, further from my home than I have in years. But I have acquaintances who are just getting points for everything this year in order to save on the costs associated with hunting.

And It Will All Cost Even More By Next Year!

And There Will Still Be Some Claiming The Only Reason They Do it is They Need The Meat!

JFP!

Ummmm….fuel prices sure have came down?

Housing prices sure have came down?

Food prices are getting better?

Economy is on the rebound ?

I am sure everyone (including the flat brim, skin tight pajama camo society) will now stay home and watch hunting shows instead of crowd the hills with the latest tech?

You should be free to head out unmolested this fall by the previous countless parades of catalogue hunters??

PS…it’s a once a year thing. People are going to save up the cash and time off work for their passions regardless of what they are up against. Over publicizing hunting on the many social media platforms has changed the sport forever and not for the better.

Sell the trucks, campers 4 wheelers etc. get a Subaru and a tent. No need to worry about fuel. You’re be too busy packing elk to the car!
Maybe an electric Subaru with gas prices going to be over $5 a gallon soon. After all they’ve got those electric charging machines all over the mountains now right? Of course I will have to hunt closer to the house due to the range of those cars, sounds like heaps of fun….

It is really interesting times. I am not sure at all where we are going to be by this fall. Right now no one is picking up Russian oil despite them pricing a barrel at 20 under market value, no increased production from OPEC, NO increased production from US. Rumors that maybe Iran will increase production and availability. Not sure what Venezuela might do???

The Presidents response has been to use our strategic reserve which will have minimal impact on our prices and really not hurt Russia at all as Russia is already offering their oil under current market value. Scarcity in many markets and inflation may only be the start...

On the flipside it was refreshing to know that a major company is holding a multibillion dollar project over the president head in order to leverage the government to their will...

It is really interesting times. I am not sure at all where we are going to be by this fall. Right now no one is picking up Russian oil despite them pricing a barrel at 20 under market value, no increased production from OPEC, NO increased production from US. Rumors that maybe Iran will increase production and availability. Not sure what Venezuela might do???

The Presidents response has been to use our strategic reserve which will have minimal impact on our prices and really not hurt Russia at all as Russia is already offering their oil under current market value. Scarcity in many markets and inflation may only be the start...

On the flipside it was refreshing to know that a major company is holding a multibillion dollar project over the president head in order to leverage the government to their will...
I know we all love getting political in here but it sure grinds my gears when old sleepy Joe "condemns" Russia but refuses to stop buying Russian oil. We have the ability to turn on all these oil permits and pumps and we are slaves to the green crowd. We could flood the market, become the world's biggest exporter and bring relief to the entire country, but he refuses to do that because it doesn't line up with his climate change and green initiative

I know we all love getting political in here but it sure grinds my gears when old sleepy Joe "condemns" Russia but refuses to stop buying Russian oil. We have the ability to turn on all these oil permits and pumps and we are slaves to the green crowd. We could flood the market, become the world's biggest exporter and bring relief to the entire country, but he refuses to do that because it doesn't line up with his climate change and green initiative
I wonder if it is not even bigger than the New Green Deal movement and that BS. The great reset and the move towards globalization with one world order etc. The Green New Deal is just a step. This mess with Russia shows exactly why we should be developing our natural resources and be independent of foreign energy.

The Presidents response has been to use our strategic reserve which will have minimal impact on our prices and really not hurt Russia at all

There’s an understatement. Ole Brandon said he’s going to release 30 million barrels to help you and me. US consumption is 16 million a day. Hopefully you need to get gas one of those days so you feel the help… God I hate these people

Last edited:
Well if it’s any indication on AZ elk and Antelope draw they had more applicants that last year so I think the trend is going to continue at least for this year

Up until a little more than a month ago, I was planning on just putting in for points on all my LE hunts because I had not had COVID and didn't want to risk getting it a week before my once in a lifetime hunt and not be able to go or even worse be in the hospital. I ended up getting it just under a month ago and seemed to get through it pretty good. Still feeling fatigued every other day it seems. Now that I have some natural antibodies in me and know what to expect. I ended up putting in for the draws instead of just points. I wonder if others have had those same thoughts that haven't had COVID yet. In many ways I'm sure glad I got it now instead of September or October.

Not as stupid as buying/ over paying for a diesel to save money on fuel...
It all depends there have been times where it is cheaper than regular fuel and the life expectancy of the Diesel engine etc .
Yeah. We are all heading that. Diesel, regular fuel and more. I wouldn’t let old buzz bother you, when my truck turns over 450,000 mile and he is on his 2nd or third truck, I will be happy with my choice to buy a diesel for my long hauls, heavy loads etc.

Once again your stupidity shows!!
Lucky you are a government employee, you probably would not make it in this world with a real job. As your mouth once again overruns your selfish self centered little brain. Diesel is cheaper here than gasoline. And my ‘02 has over 300k miles on it.

D4DF9C06-8919-4179-BBF8-CAB5AC01A0A7.jpeg

Last edited:
Once again your stupidity shows!!
Lucky you are a government employee, you probably would not make it in this world with a real job. As your mouth once again overruns your selfish self centered little brain. Diesel is cheaper here than gasoline. And my ‘02 has over 300k miles on it.

View attachment 70094
Let me guess you drive 300 miles and have to pull over and drain diesel out of your tank because of the great mileage you get. Heard that bs too...

Have had a couple diesels for work...pass anything on the road but a gas station.

The oil changes are pretty special too.

Then there's the front end problems, getting those pos front end heavy bastards stuck, glow plugs and injectors, dual batteries going to chit, now having to add def.

They run 400,000 miles because everything but the motor has been replaced 5 times by then.

You'll find no competition from me for a diesel truck...you can have my share. Won't have another for a work truck either. No way.

Let me guess you drive 300 miles and have to pull over and drain diesel out of your tank because of the great mileage you get. Heard that bs too...

Have had a couple diesels for work...pass anything on the road but a gas station.

The oil changes are pretty special too.

Then there's the front end problems, getting those pos front end heavy bastards stuck, glow plugs and injectors, dual batteries going to chit, now having to add def.

They run 400,000 miles because everything but the motor has been replaced 5 times by then.

You'll find no competition from me for a diesel truck...you can have my share. Won't have another for a work truck either. No way.
lol...wtf would a desk pilot need one??

It’s not only Russian oil, the democrats are always concerned about others borders while they turn a blind eye to our border. We have an opioid crisis fueled by open borders, we have a crime wave fueled by open borders, we have a disease and virus surge fueled by open borders and we have low wage fueled by open borders. We can not properly vet anybody who crosses that border legally or illegally. We can run records check on an individual but it will only give us information about crimes he has committed in the U.S. and not his native country. I have come to the conclusion that democrats are the most dangerous thing we face in America.

This is the great divide. I have quite a few Democrat clients......not one of them wants any part of what you mentioned. In fact, almost all of them want what the republicans want.....to some degreee. Secure borders, good ecomony, public safety and a secure economy.

The media has successfully divided all of us by making it either black or white, extremes......"All democrats are evil and hate Republicans....want drugs, sex changes, open borders etc"......each side paints the other at the most extreme ends and labels that 5% as the whole group.

Look at Jan 6......news says "This group represents all white supremist, christian gun toating conservative republicans. Don and all of his followers want this...bla bla" It was what? 500 people.....
There were almost 75,000,000 .....since when does .0000066 of the Trump voters represent the Republican base?

It’s not only Russian oil, the democrats are always concerned about others borders while they turn a blind eye to our border. We have an opioid crisis fueled by open borders, we have a crime wave fueled by open borders, we have a disease and virus surge fueled by open borders and we have low wage fueled by open borders. We can not properly vet anybody who crosses that border legally or illegally. We can run records check on an individual but it will only give us information about crimes he has committed in the U.S. and not his native country. I have come to the conclusion that democrats are the most dangerous thing we face in America.
Now we are hoping that Venezuela will decide to give out more oil. Seriously negotiating with another communist country to try and solve our energy crisis. So now we’re are working with Iran and Venezuela and not doing one thing to increase domestic production.

This is the great divide. I have quite a few Democrat clients......not one of them wants any part of what you mentioned. In fact, almost all of them want what the republicans want.....to some degreee. Secure borders, good ecomony, public safety and a secure economy.

The media has successfully divided all of us by making it either black or white, extremes......"All democrats are evil and hate Republicans....want drugs, sex changes, open borders etc"......each side paints the other at the most extreme ends and labels that 5% as the whole group.

Look at Jan 6......news says "This group represents all white supremist, christian gun toating conservative republicans. Don and all of his followers want this...bla bla" It was what? 500 people.....
There were almost 75,000,000 .....since when does .0000066 of the Trump voters represent the Republican base?
WTF does any of that have to do with hunting?

It gets old every topic on a hunting board turning into political chitshow.

What a joke.

Now we are hoping that Venezuela will decide to give out more oil. Seriously negotiating with another communist country to try and solve our energy crisis. So now we’re are working with Iran and Venezuela and not doing one thing to increase domestic production.
Well, since this has blown well past anything hunting related...

Because the American public doesn't give a chit who we deal with to supply cheap oil to the market to save 10 cents a gallon at the pump.

Your own posts show that exact thing, whining about fuel prices impacting your road hunting endeavors.

You didn't seem to care about who we've been importing oil from or domestic production until it impacted your pocket book.

Might want to try to understand and research global oil markets, others on this and other boards have explained it better than I can.

Well, since this has blown well past anything hunting related...

Because the American public doesn't give a chit who we deal with to supply cheap oil to the market to save 10 cents a gallon at the pump.

Your own posts show that exact thing, whining about fuel prices impacting your road hunting endeavors.

You didn't seem to care about who we've been importing oil from or domestic production until it impacted your pocket book.

Might want to try to understand and research global oil markets, others on this and other boards have explained it better than I can.
You don’t know **** about what I have cared about at all. I however have always been an outspoken advocate about domestic production and having self supporting reliable domestic energy. I also will say this if the US were to actually be energy independent, then volatility in the market would cause minimal strain locally. It is when we are weak and dependent that we have no control.

Do you have any proof that I never cared about our dependence on foreign oil until now? Where are your facts to support such a claim?

Also the idea that the American public does not care is also completely false. While there is possible a section, there are many more that do care about know entire communities that care as they have seen the community destroyed by the current green new deal policies.

What was the un employment rate when we were energy independent? Nah, your right, no one cared till now

You don’t know **** about what I have cared about at all. I however have always been an outspoken advocate about domestic production and having self supporting reliable domestic energy. I also will say this if the US were to actually be energy independent, then volatility in the market would cause minimal strain locally. It is when we are weak and dependent that we have no control.

Do you have any proof that I never cared about our dependence on foreign oil until now? Where are your facts to support such a claim?

Also the idea that the American public does not care is also completely false. While there is possible a section, there are many more that do care about know entire communities that care as they have seen the community destroyed by the current green new deal policies.
Clearly out of your depth of knowledge regarding oil and energy markets.

Go do some research...energy independence isnt even a decent pipe dream. It's a false narrative and a talking point.

Global oil markets are always going to cause volatility and cause boom and bust situations like has been happening all my life. No different than any other extractive resource...

Wake up.

And you're dead wrong, every hunting board on the net has a b itch session with 500 posts whining about fuel prices. Crying because their annual nr cross country big game hunt might conflict with their cigarette and booze money. Or they may have to give up the Dailey $5 brataccino at Starbucks...

Americans couldn't give a chit less who we deal oil with as long as they save a nickel a gallon at maverick...FACT.

Last edited:
Up until a little more than a month ago, I was planning on just putting in for points on all my LE hunts because I had not had COVID and didn't want to risk getting it a week before my once in a lifetime hunt and not be able to go or even worse be in the hospital. I ended up getting it just under a month ago and seemed to get through it pretty good. Still feeling fatigued every other day it seems. Now that I have some natural antibodies in me and know what to expect. I ended up putting in for the draws instead of just points. I wonder if others have had those same thoughts that haven't had COVID yet. In many ways I'm sure glad I got it now instead of September or October.
You could get it again in September or October. You’re not out of the woods yet!

You could get it again in September or October. You’re not out of the woods yet!
Yes, that's true but it's been proven that with each new variant. It does seem to get weeker and now that I know how my body reacts to it and I have some natural antibodies. I feel a lot better about getting it again. I do know a couple people that got the Delta variant and were dead 4 days after feeling sick. It sure does effect everyone differently. BTW, I have asthma and am borderline diabetic. So there have been some concerns with getting it. I do feel much better about my chances to push through it and hunt if I were to get it again. That's all I'm getting at.

We’re all pawns glad that we get a feeling that if our person gets in it will all be better. Don’t get me wrong I vote every chance I get but not very many of them actually want to do good for the public. As long as we fight among each other why do we need a common enemy. Gas is at a record high because 2020 was a loss for oil companies in my opinion. Kinda like ammo demand was low production got low. 2020 hits all time demand you won’t get a pound of powder off the shelf for 30$ Anytime soon.

You Colorado guys are a funny bunch. Must be the water?

You Colorado guys are a funny bunch. Must be the water?
Your post are always so amazing and inciteful. It is amazing how you can continually come up with such amazing content that is not only intellectually stimulating, but demonstrate your great ability to think critically... Keep up the good work SS.

Clearly out of your depth of knowledge regarding oil and energy markets.

Go do some research...energy independence isnt even a decent pipe dream. It's a false narrative and a talking point.

Global oil markets are always going to cause volatility and cause boom and bust situations like has been happening all my life. No different than any other extractive resource...

Wake up.

And you're dead wrong, every hunting board on the net has a b itch session with 500 posts whining about fuel prices. Crying because their annual nr cross country big game hunt might conflict with their cigarette and booze money. Or they may have to give up the Dailey $5 brataccino at Starbucks...

Americans couldn't give a chit less who we deal oil with as long as they save a nickel a gallon at maverick...FACT.
HAHA. I know enough to know that when the there are 20 rigs working in Colorado and 30 rig working in WY we are better off then 2-3. I know enough to know that there is a huge difference in an American First Energy policy and not. But make all the assumptions you want. Net exporting is a far better position than what we have now... Hell we have enough energy here to not need any foreign energy for decades. Colorado alone has enough natural gas to supply all NATO countries for 21 years.

Sorry but there is absolutely nothing stating that we have to partake in Global markets... Would there be some fall out? Sure, but that could that fallout be worse than we we are currently seeing?

Your post are always so amazing and inciteful. It is amazing how you can continually come up with such amazing content that is not only intellectually stimulating, but demonstrate your great ability to think critically... Keep up the good work SS.
Thanks! Your posts are laughable at best. Did you ever finish your letter you were writing?

Way to bring up natural gas in a discussion about oil. ?

If almost all of your clients wanted what Republicans want as you say, they wouldn’t vote democrat.

Hard to figure out why democrats don’t mind others pumping oil but demand we do not. Unless they want to see the U.S. drop a notch or two. Seems UnAmerican to me.

I truly believe it's an intentional effort to destroy the country.
There doing exactly what they said they were going to do. What’s amazing is that anyone is surprised. They have literally told us, out load, that this is the plan. Well here it is boys

I drive a diesel. They are expensive to drive for sure.. Didn't realize anybody cared.... some angry at the world boys out there. Oh well. Just hope I get a couple of fun hunts this year. And next, too.

I drive a diesel. They are expensive to drive for sure.. Didn't realize anybody cared.... some angry at the world boys out there. Oh well. Just hope I get a couple of fun hunts this year. And next, too.
There was a time I would never buy a diesel due to the noise and the smell. Well they fixed that, my neighbor bought a new Chevy diesel this year and it’s as quiet as any engine on the road. I keep a pickup between 10 and 20 years on average. A new diesel would probably last until they buried me. Good luck on your hunts!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom