Winter Conditions so far…

Status
Not open for further replies.
So just to be clear, the bet is $50k that Wyoming will go to “zero” nonresident tags before there will be any changes to residents meaning tag cuts, picking a region, etc. Is this correct?
"Before residents have to pick a region there will be zero NR tags issued."

Not sure where you came up with tag cuts, etc...

I think I figured it out! SS is Buzz?

You cannot think you would actually win this bet? It could to take 100 years for either to change, but I bet Wyoming goes all limited in around 20 years with 90/10 implemented. Time will tell.
Sounds almost as foolish as offering the bet in the first place? At least make it interesting. I’ve blown 10k on a good weekend.

Put up or shut up.

I am in regular contact with a dozen or so resident deer hunters and used to be one myself. Having options to hunt multiple areas and openers absolutely lowers deer harvest for those that want to shoot big deer. For those that don't care about shooting big deer, they simply don't area hop because they already killed their 2 point.

I believe forcing residents to pick an area would actually increase harvest.

As to limiting tags for residents, I don't see any need. Residents will self regulate at a much higher % than a non-resident will statistically. A non-resident who spends considerably more money, waited years for the tag, and travels a significant distance, in general, wants to fill that tag. By the last 2 or 3 days of their hunt, not much is safe from my experience. Residents on the other hand feel basically no pressure to fill their tags. They likely already have antelope in the freezer and the promise of elk meat to come. They also know they will be able to hunt the following year so passing that buck actually means something. Shooting a small to mediocre deer just isn't necessary for most.

Has Wyoming ever limited the sale of general season deer tags to residents? If not, I doubt they start now. Maybe they would shorten seasons, as others have suggested, but I don’t think they have many options for cutting resident or nonresident tags in region G or H for reasons that have already been explained.
The seasons have slowly been cutting back. I was very young pup but at one time the season in H was from sept 15th till Oct 25th. I can't confirm it but I believe even farther back it went from Sept 10th to oct 31st. But that last part I'm not positive on. I'm sure someone here may know.

The seasons have slowly been cutting back. I was very young pup but at one time the season in H was from sept 15th till Oct 25th. I can't confirm it but I believe even farther back it went from Sept 10th to oct 31st. But that last part I'm not positive on. I'm sure someone here may know.
Yes, this is true, and if you go back far enough, the general season ended on Dec 31st.

There's nowhere to put the snow at my house.

20230305_093855.jpg

Earlier today, my dad was at my grandparents house around the corner from me and found a deer that crawled under a lawn chair on the side of their home and died. It's a rough year on the Cache.

imagejpeg_0.jpg

This is for the 1985 Season.

9E380504-F0FF-4B1B-B8DF-83042808BA5D.jpeg

A585CCC6-AF26-4AC4-905C-9EF025E0AD9F.jpeg

Not here to argue NR vs Res. LOL. Just thankful as a NR to hunt once a decade.

Really sad to see, that many antelope and deer won't make it through this winter.

Does anyone have any info on the conditions in Unit 57 antelope? I'm assuming from what I'm reading and seeing in NW CO it's not good. I've finally got enough points to draw again and was planning on going this year.

Not here to argue NR vs Res. LOL. Just thankful as a NR to hunt once a decade.

Really sad to see, that many antelope and deer won't make it through this winter.

Does anyone have any info on the conditions in Unit 57 antelope? I'm assuming from what I'm reading and seeing in NW CO it's not good. I've finally got enough points to draw again and was planning on going this year.
Toast...I would save your points for a while.

Apparently game and fish didn't think winter was as bad for the deer as everyone else did

Have they posted the proposed changes yet? I can't find anything on game and fish website. Anyone see it? Post a link here?

It seems they are not cutting enough. I will be vocal at a few meetings about this.

Some lope units I watch were at 50% reduction in Type 1 and all the type 6 were gone….

A deer and antelope area I know took no cuts at all. Lots of verified die-offs, especially with antelope. Not sure what G&F is thinking there.

They're thinking make sure the residents get their tags and get to kill whatever is left this Fall........................

I am
Surprised that there are not more cuts locally… It sure seems like the local herd has lost close to 60% of the herd and yet very few cuts…

Looks like only minor cuts and sometimes random no cuts in areas that had some nasty weather? I also wonder why they have any doe tags issued in some areas where deer and antelope are at an all time low and they’ve had disease coupled with winterkill?

Hopefully there isn’t more disease and a 2nd year in a row with winterkill in 2024! The trend in Wyo deer and antelope is a continual downward spiral! One of the leading factors is extremely poor habitat condition.

The 3pt antler restriction is back for most of the western wyoming units. Not all though...curious why they left out a few of the units in Region H.

After looking at the draft, they really did not cut that much? Sure Region A went down, but alot of units saw an increase. Same with antelope.

Why any doe tags at all statewide? Maybe a few whitetail or antelope for private depredation issues?

If Region A is so bad why.. ANY NR tags? Only cut 750? They should cut most if not all. $$$

I am
Surprised that there are not more cuts locally… It sure seems like the local herd has lost close to 60% of the herd and yet very few cuts…
I guess I'm not surprised Rob. Those G&F guys in Lander really behold to the One Shot idiocy. It probably comes from the top.

Any cuts they make will be, by law, reflected in One Shot tag numbers.

I guess I'm not surprised Rob. Those G&F guys in Lander really behold to the One Shot idiocy. It probably comes from the top.

Any cuts they make will be, by law, reflected in One Shot tag numbers.
Remember when we had that meeting with the GF about it...they assured us that the one shot hunt did not have any influence over recommendations for quotas, no impact to the herd, etc.?

It's sad the needed tag reductions don't happen because of a clown show hunting "competition".

Maybe I'm wrong but wasn't the main purpose of having a June 1st applications deadline to allow the WG&F time to set quotas based on actual herd conditions post winter? They aren't going to know the full impacts for at least 4 weeks imo. There are so many weak animals out there that may die in the coming weeks if the weather doesn't turn soon...

Public comment will play a role as well.
Most of the time I'm glad we have a voice but I don't really understand why anyone or anything other than biologists evaluations of population, carrying capacity, and herd health should have any bearing on the quotas. That said, I understand they have a balancing act to perform to keep many different sides happy.

You don’t think what hunters see afield or in specific locations should be considered? G&F can’t see everything. They might also have agendas that don’t necessarily serve hunters or the herd….

Send your comments!

Most of the time I'm glad we have a voice but I don't really understand why anyone or anything other than biologists evaluations of population, carrying capacity, and herd health should have any bearing on the quotas. That said, I understand they have a balancing act to perform to keep many different sides happy.
Hunter satisfaction with the experience should rank pretty high on the managers list of stuff to consider, in my opinion. Not much point in spending valuable free time in the hills if your time there sucks.

All of these things should and do play a role in setting quotas.

Hunter satisfaction with the experience should rank pretty high on the managers list of stuff to consider, in my opinion. Not much point in spending valuable free time in the hills if your time there sucks.

All of these things should and do play a role in setting quotas.
I don't disagree with that at all. I would assume comments from previous seasons/hunter satisfaction would be taken into consideration and should already be factored in by this point in the process. My point is that they shouldn't need public comment this late in the game regarding winter kill or range conditions to urge them to lower quotas. Some areas still have doe antelope tags proposed where the population is below objective and the winter has been really rough. Good chance a lot of those does that do survive won't have healthy fawns. My guess is the biologists aren't asking for those does tags to be issued- it is coming from another motivation. In those instances, I do hope public comment can help.

Haha. if we left the game and fish to do it all, then we would have already killed all the mature bucks in 1/2 the state and destroyed the doe just for CWD.

If the science was followed to a T, then maybe. But right now we have units where the biologist says 60% mortality and they are only cutting tags by 13-20%….

So if the G&F don't cut the tags it's up to the resident to get all the tags they can AND then not hunt any those animals leave them to build the herd. Now we will see the Resident hunters step to plate and stop pointing to NR as the problem with all them getting tags.
Good Luck

So if the G&F don't cut the tags it's up to the resident to get all the tags they can AND then not hunt any those animals leave them to build the herd. Now we will see the Resident hunters step to plate and stop pointing to NR as the problem with all them getting tags.
Good Luck
Good to see some NR support resident preference.

Obviously if there are more healthy does and fawns surviving each year there will be more tags available for both Wyo resident and nonres hunters! Take a look at how many tags were issued 10 to 20 years ago. The potential for more tags available for everyone is there...but....is there something that can be done to change this downward trend?

The root of the problem isn't resident vs nonres hunters! Issuing doe tags in units with historically low antelope and mule deer populations is absurd! It's really a shame to drive miles and miles across vast areas in Wyoming that are void of antelope and deer. Not too terribly long ago there were literally hundreds of antelope and scattered densities of deer in these same areas.

Here are a few simple ways to bring these populations back.

1) Cut doe tags and completely eliminate doe tags in critically concerned areas.
2) On the ground efforts to improve habitat, water sources, roadside fencing/crossings, etc.
3) Step up predator control efforts.
4) Figure out strategies to combat disease.
5) Buck tags don't mean squat compared to number of doe tags for returning populations. However, bucks obviously compete with does for the same food and water.

Some of you will likely say many of these things are already done. It's obvious what has been done in the past isn't working and there is room for improvement!

I spent quite a bit of time in Eastern Wyo last summer and fall. I was horrified by the condition of the range on that side of the state! Believe me, there is definite room for improvement in the eastern side of Wyo!

Sitting behind a computer complaining about resident vs nonres tags does absolutely nothing. Something must be done to stop the downward spiral in the antelope and deer populations in Wyo! God knows both resident and nonres hunters are a lot happier when the population (and tag quotas) are higher! What can be done to change this viscous cycle and trend?

Last edited:
The lowered tags coming this year clearly shows the need for 90-10. If cuts happen, it should be to NR's first.

NR’s will never get those tags back. Tell me how cutting 100 buck tags in H will help anything. Saving 25-30 bucks across an entire region won’t solve any population problem. It’s laughable to think it will. Protect those does be eliminating the tags.

NR’s will never get those tags back. Tell me how cutting 100 buck tags in H will help anything. Saving 25-30 bucks across an entire region won’t solve any population problem. It’s laughable to think it will. Protect those does be eliminating the tags.
Timing is everything, and it's the right time to push for lowering NR quotas.

Imo, the way things are going, for a variety of reasons, I believe we are experiencing the new normal in regard to animal populations in Wyoming.

As such, I also believe the lowered quotas will drive 90-10 at a much faster pace. Residents choose to live here for the hunting and will be demanding a higher priority.

Why does every thread on here always have to get into resident versus non resident? It's getting old. I'm a non resident, and I agree residents should have priority in obtaining tags. There's no argument regarding that. 90-10, fine, make it happen. Even if deer and antelope populations were at all time highs, it should still be 90-10. That is unless the state absolutely had to rely on nonresident money to finance the WGFD. But if that's not the case, then make it 99-1, I'll just have to get by on whatever leftover tags I can get. If nothing else that would probably mean whitetail doe tags, and that's fine with me. Just sick of everything in this Wyoming forum always being so anti nonresident. It's really not much fun in this particular forum anymore.

Why does every thread on here always have to get into resident versus non resident? It's getting old. I'm a non resident, and I agree residents should have priority in obtaining tags. There's no argument regarding that. 90-10, fine, make it happen. Even if deer and antelope populations were at all time highs, it should still be 90-10. That is unless the state absolutely had to rely on nonresident money to finance the WGFD. But if that's not the case, then make it 99-1, I'll just have to get by on whatever leftover tags I can get. If nothing else that would probably mean whitetail doe tags, and that's fine with me. Just sick of everything in this Wyoming forum always being so anti nonresident. It's really not much fun in this particular forum anymore.
Feel free to post in the state forum where you're a resident.

This is what's important and going on in Wyoming right now.

Not about Wyoming or antelope or mule deer but in the late 80’s I caribou hunted in Quebec. We flew from Montreal to Scheffervile. At that time they said that five thousand hunters were being flown in during the season to hunt caribou. 6 man camp $1300 dollars each. We killed 11 bulls.Caribou hunting in Quebec ended in 2017. In 1987 that was unthinkable!

I agree. Tags cuts aren’t needed, but these bad winters are used to justify the cuts to NR tags. Just the way it is.

Not about Wyoming or antelope or mule deer but in the late 80’s I caribou hunted in Quebec. We flew from Montreal to Scheffervile. At that time they said that five thousand hunters were being flown in during the season to hunt caribou. 6 man camp $1300 dollars each. We killed 11 bulls.Caribou hunting in Quebec ended in 2017. In 1987 that was unthinkable!
Yep...the same thing is happening with pronghorn and mule deer. Those that don't believe it are in denial.

Do they know what caused the caribou pop to crash?

Do they know what caused the caribou pop to crash?
You need to look it up. I don’t think they know for sure. Global warming causing insects in the calving area because of warming temps. Wolves following into the calving areas because of the warmer temperatures. Environmental changes caused by humans. Hunting.

The residents here are too dumb to see if the game numbers and quality are hurt bad we don't want tags anyway. cut the numbers, shove your tags I'll hunt elsewhere until I think it's worth burning my points.

This divisive BS gets old, do what you're going to do and STFU about it . on my list of states to hunt you're not that special so you're overplaying your hand pretty heavy.

The residents here are too dumb to see if the game numbers and quality are hurt bad we don't want tags anyway. cut the numbers, shove your tags I'll hunt elsewhere until I think it's worth burning my points.

This divisive BS gets old, do what you're going to do and STFU about it . on my list of states to hunt you're not that special so you're overplaying your hand pretty heavy.
It’s Happening and personally I’m glad, now Wyoming ain’t on your list go else where to whine!! Wished they would have cut a few more hundred nonres deer tags in H !! Take the other states tags and shove them , and we will keep ours !! Thanks in advanced!!

You don't care about Wyoming.. but your user name is literally from Wyoming:unsure: hmmm. Show us where the internet hurt you today...

Yep it’s blatantly obvious Buzz’s only concern is how many tags are in his pocket and the long string of doe antelope and deer, raghorn bull, and cow tags and pics he can post each and every year …not game conservation!

Buzz, why don’t you add up how many Wyo tags you’ve had the past 10 years and let us all know? That’s not enough and never will be enough?

Buzz has no concern about the natural resources end of things in any posts and what is happening to game populations across Wyo…pretty sad!

My guess is that most Wyo res driving down the highways ask themselves what happened to all the antelope and deer? What can be done to bring them back? Pretty sad driving down the highways to a wasteland of nothing put prairie in absolute horrid condition with 0 to a few scattered antelope and deer in miles upon miles of country.

Yep, the timing is right to do the right thing and work directly on making changes in the field that can potentially change the downward trend of what’s happening to Wyo’s deer and antelope!

I can guarantee that this starts with cutting and eliminating doe tags in critical areas! It has nothing to do with 90/10 and limited nonres/res buck quotas!

What a novel idea, use all of that additional nonres license revenue to put directly towards game improvement projects!

Obviously Buzz may not openly say it, but putting more game in the hills is the right thing to do that will ultimately place more doe tags in Buzz’s pocket.

Last edited:
Yep it’s blatantly obvious Buzz’s only concern is how many tags are in his pocket and the long string of doe antelope and deer, raghorn bull, and cow tags and pics he can post each and every year …not game conservation!

Buzz, why don’t you add up how many Wyo tags you’ve had the past 10 years and let us all know? That’s not enough and never will be enough?

Buzz has no concern about the natural resources end of things in any posts and what is happening to game populations across Wyo…pretty sad!

My guess is that most Wyo res driving down the highways ask themselves what happened to all the antelope and deer? What can be done to bring them back? Pretty sad driving down the highways to a wasteland of nothing put prairie in absolute horrid condition with 0 to a few scattered antelope and deer in miles upon miles of country.

Yep, the timing is right to do the right thing and work directly on making changes in the field that can potentially change the downward trend of what’s happening to Wyo’s deer and antelope!

I can guarantee that this starts with cutting and eliminating doe tags in critical areas! It has nothing to do with 90/10 and limited nonres/res buck quotas!

What a novel idea, use all of that additional nonres license revenue to put directly towards game improvement projects!

Obviously Buzz may not openly say it, but putting more game in the hills is the right thing to do that will ultimately place more doe tags in Buzz’s pocket.
What game improvement projects might those be?

You can spout your bullchit all you want but there isn't jack diddly you can do about long term drought and a bad winter like this.

Can you explain how your game improvement projects would save pronghorn dieing from EHD and the recent outbreak near Pinedale?

Unless you can successfully do a rain dance, vaccinate pronghorn, and buy deer and pronghorn pajamas to keep them warm in severe winters like this, you're just blowing it out of your arse...as always.

Bottom line is lower populations are going to be the new normal. With that, lower quotas and Wyoming hunters are going to ask for less tags for non residents.

For the record, my wife and I buy as many doe pronghorn doe tags as we're allowed to each year and throw them in the trash. Keeps 8 doe pronghorn a year alive and out of the hands of nonresident "freezer fillers". I haven't shot a doe pronghorn in 14 years, but I've bought a shitload of tags in that time.

How many doe tags a year do you buy and throw in the trash Sebastian?

Buzz your comments clearly show your ignorance of habitat and wildlife management!

90/10 or even 100/0 won’t do squat to improve the current horrid condition of wildlife and wildlife habitat across many parts of Wyoming!

Healthy habitat means more game will survive rough conditions and disease.

Here’s a simple and clear example of 1 project that would immediately save hundreds of deer and antelope over the years. Constructing fencing and game crossings along major migration route highways that will prevent wildlife fatalities and auto collisions. What’s the total roadkill numbers in SW Wyo this year? How about the total number of these accidents stretched across Wyo? Are there other areas scattered across Wyo that would benefit? Buzz, you don’t care or have a clue!

I listed a bunch more projects in post #250 that you blew right by because you only care about how many doe and other tags you and your wife draw rather than eliminating doe tags in areas with significant declines. The root of the problem is doe tags shouldn’t be sold to anyone when populations are at an all time low.

Again, read the bold print…..90/10 or even 100/0 will not change the horrid condition of habitat and declining trend in antelope and deer numbers. There are numerous projects scattered across Wyo that will immediately benefit wildlife!

Healthy wildlife = more big game = more tags for Buzz!

Buzz your comments clearly show your ignorance of habitat and wildlife management!

90/10 or even 100/0 won’t do squat to improve the current horrid condition of wildlife and wildlife habitat across many parts of Wyoming!

Healthy habitat means more game will survive rough conditions and disease.

Here’s a simple and clear example of 1 project that would immediately save hundreds of deer and antelope over the years. Constructing fencing and game crossings along major migration route highways that will prevent wildlife fatalities and auto collisions. What’s the total roadkill numbers in SW Wyo this year? How about the total number of these accidents stretched across Wyo? Are there other areas scattered across Wyo that would benefit? Buzz, you don’t care or have a clue!

I listed a bunch more projects in post #250 that you blew right by because you only care about how many doe and other tags you and your wife draw rather than eliminating doe tags in areas with significant declines. The root of the problem is doe tags shouldn’t be sold to anyone when populations are at an all time low.

Again, read the bold print…..90/10 or even 100/0 will not change the horrid condition of habitat and declining trend in antelope and deer numbers. There are numerous projects scattered across Wyo that will immediately benefit wildlife!

Healthy wildlife = more big game = more tags for Buzz!
Name your numerous projects that will immediately help with long term drought and severe cold winters and deep snow...

?

Oh, and you holding a bake sale for that fencing and overpass idea? You sure as hell aren't paying for it with your paltry non resident tag fees, that's a fact.

How's that rain dance coming along?

? ?

Post 250...what a joke. How about listing some solutions captain obvious?

What are you actively doing about any of those things?

Let me answer....exactly nothing.

You're doing "great"...

Last edited:
Here’s a simple and clear example of 1 project that would immediately save hundreds of deer and antelope over the years. Constructing fencing and game crossings along major migration route highways that will prevent wildlife

All being done already but takes time and money , what gets me people complain but they don’t support conservation groups ( we all know they all should put more money into wildlife less in pockets that’s already been discussed ?) wyo has the conservation license plate and I sure don’t see as many people have them that hunt, license prices go up here comes more complaining, so the simple things you mention what makes it so hard to contribute instead of crying!! And another simple thing is G&F meetings , I go to season setting meetings every year , always same few people showing up but I know a ton of people who complain but never show up??. Get involved (Some is better than none)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom