Winter kill 2023

nvguy2

While we wait for proposals and draw deadline, I was curious to know if anybody has heard how the elk herds have faired this year? Planning on putting in for Manti and my buddy said he heard that the elk around Fairview had been hit with the hard winter. Maybe it’s not true but was just curious if anybody has heard the same thing or anybody know first hand if the herds took a bad hit this winter? I guess if they did it will reflect when tag recommendations come out in a few days. Just curious if anybody knows. Thanks.

Yes I have seen deer and elk hit new green grass and it’s to rich and kills them
Had cattle do it also
It is a truism unfortunately. When you have super wet green spring time conditions the animals have so much moisture in their feed, they can't produce enough stomach acid to digest it all after such harsh winters.

Believe it or not, most winter kill on normal years is actually in the spring after it starts to green up.

Cheers, Pete

It is a truism unfortunately. When you have super wet green spring time conditions the animals have so much moisture in their feed, they can't produce enough stomach acid to digest it all after such harsh winters.

Believe it or not, most winter kill on normal years is actually in the spring after it starts to green up.

Cheers, Pete
except for this year......not much left to die....

So with this in mind, wouldn’t you say even more deer are going to be lost this year than on a normal year? And if this is the case why would anyone with common sense recommend an increase in deer tags?

I think the Manti Unit is doing very good and infact will see many more tags then the last few years.
Mount Pleasant area had ridiculous numbers of deer during early winter, I was amazed at how full the fields were around town.
Around December they were gone to lower grounds.
I hope a good number will return, but I know they are getting tired and hungry.

Manti deer herd looks better than the rest of the state. Judging by what I've seen this spring. Especially the east side of the manti.

I thought this was an interesting discussion I seen on whether or not the recent deer feeding program in northern Utah is helping.

This is from the comments of that post I did in the Utah forum about actual herd data that comes from GPS collard deer across the state.

Screenshot_20230406_075354_Instagram.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom