Winter Project: 1948 Willys Jeep Pickup

ICMDEER

Very Active Member
I know lots of guys on MM are WAY BETTER mechanics and "project pickup" guys than I am. But I have always wanted an old Jeep Willys pickup. When I was a little kid, we had some good friends that had one and we had great times and great hunting memories in that outfit.

I found a 1948 Willys pickup a couple of years ago in a farmer's junkyard. Not original, but the body is decent and the price was ok. Bought it and we went to work on it. It has a short block Chevy V8 - a 283 - and it now runs good. Since the engine wasn't original, we swapped axles with a 1979 Chevy 1/2 ton 4WD pickup. They fit perfectly and we also flipped them to lift it.

New tires, new fan, new brake lines, new shocks, new exhaust, new wiring kit, gaskets, new front drive line (rebuilt on my gunsmith lathe) and I re-did the whole interior. New/used seat, new aluminum diamond plate door and kick panels, new paint, Rhino liner, new hood latches, handles and more. I used over a spool of wire off my little wire feed welder on the body. Then the grinder, Bondo and lots of sanding. Then primer and paint.

It's far from perfect, but it is still fun and I like it. I now need to install the lights, wipers, winch and touch up some paint, especially the "W" on the tail gate. And maybe fix the brakes, but brakes are overrated.

It just needs a big mule deer buck in the back this fall to complete the dream. Fun project that has challenged me in lots of ways.

This might not belong on MM, but it's part of my hunting heritage so thought I'd try it. If having it here causes heartburn, the moderators can delete if inappropriate.

2022 Earl in May 008.JPG

2022 Earl in May 004.JPG

2022 Earl in May 010.JPG

NICE!

A Friend Of Mine Had One!

He Put a 292 Ford V-8 in His!

The Gear Ratio was in the 6's!

In The Mid 70's He'd Stop at a Gas Station & Put 1.00 worth of Gas in it & We Were Good for a Joy Ride!

You Could Put it in High Gear & Take Off with the Lowest Gears I've ever Seen in a Rig!

Wasn't The Best Riding Rig I've Ever been in!:D

But It Was COOL!

The original gears were so low it had to run at 4600 RPM to get to 60 mph. Nothing would last long at that rate.

That's why it now has the new axles/gear ratios. It's like elkassassin says, geared real high, but I will use the low range when needed. I'm hoping it gets decent gas mileage so I can run around in it.

And I hope it hauls a few critters like littlebull's.

it has a center rear output on the transfer case??..if so it would be a dana 20?.....what tranny?

Three speed on the floor. With a hi/low and 4WD on the floor next to the shifter. I think that's standard stuff for those old Willys pickups.

I think.................

I'm not even sure it is a 1948. We thought it was a 51 or so but the DMV did a search on the VIN and said it is a 1948. It's old and it runs well. Only has 46,000 on the odometer and the guy said it was not turned over. (His dad had it forever.) Makes sense if it sat for almost 50 years.

Love it. Great thread and thanks for sharing. I have always wanted an FJ 40, just haven’t had the time to put into finding a decent one for a project.

I was thinking it should have a dana 18......but they have the rear output off the passenger side in line with the front drive line.....your drive line must be at an angle to the rear axle....which....in a pickup works fine...

Works Fine Until You add Some Major HorsePower!

I was thinking it should have a dana 18......but they have the rear output off the passenger side in line with the front drive line.....your drive line must be at an angle to the rear axle....which....in a pickup works fine...

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket....I have never not had one...had to sell a old Willys high hood to afford my 09 4 door Ruby...but I have a hell of a good hunting rig....Have fun with her....

Works Fine Until You add Some Major HorsePower!
What is major HP?

I had a 65 CJ5 I rebuilt in 1997. New body, new wiring, 350 with 4 bolt main bearings, and a Muncie. The only things not new or rebuilt were the frame and the trim rings around the headlights.

It wore out a couple Warn/Saturn overdrives, but, never a t-case or pumpkin.

Back in the mid 80's my old man came home unannounced with a 53' Willy's on a trailer behind his old Ford pickup. Mom was pissed, but she got over it.
Some of my favorite old memories are from the time spent with him tearing that thing apart, rebuilding it and eventually bouncing around in the passenger seat (or the bed) of that thing. I got my first welding lessons and my introduction to internal combustion engines from pop and that old rig.
We cut, split and hauled more firewood in that thing than I care to remember. I had my first cold beer on the tailgate of that thing with my late uncle Buffalo Dave after we hand split a truck load of Madrone. "If you are man enough to swing the 12 pound maul with me, then you are man enough to have a beer, just don't tell your mother!"
If those things were comfortable for guys over 6'- 4" to sit in we would probably still have it!
Thanks for posting, you made me think back on some real good times!
Swivelneck

I used to work with a guy back in the mid 70's who used to pick up them old Willy's pickups, get em running again, paint em, & sell em at a pretty good profit. I have always regretted not getting one from him when they were still pretty reasonable. I did buy a brand spankin new FJ40 Landcruiser in 1976. Always intended to replace the original 258 straight 6 :poop: with a small block 327 or 350. Then our first child came along & I swapped it for a Chevy Blazer. Ohhhh the memories!
Always amazed me how the smell went away when the hide came off them little stinkers.
Many thanks to ICMDEER & ODW for the memories & the photos.

that reminds me of when i was in chalk creek for the 02 northern utah rifle hunt this reallly sweet jeep thing we road around on the roads while looking for bucks im not sure what it was but it had to of been anywhere from 48 to 60 in years

that reminds me of when i was in chalk creek for the 02 northern utah rifle hunt this reallly sweet jeep thing we road around on the roads while looking for bucks im not sure what it was but it had to of been anywhere from 48 to 60 in years
You were hunting deer in 02?
Somehow, I guess I just didn’t picture you being that old??

I used to work with a guy back in the mid 70's who used to pick up them old Willy's pickups, get em running again, paint em, & sell em at a pretty good profit. I have always regretted not getting one from him when they were still pretty reasonable. I did buy a brand spankin new FJ40 Landcruiser in 1976. Always intended to replace the original 258 straight 6 :poop: with a small block 327 or 350. Then our first child came along & I swapped it for a Chevy Blazer. Ohhhh the memories!
Always amazed me how the smell went away when the hide came off them little stinkers.
Many thanks to ICMDEER & ODW for the memories & the photos.
Yup, once the nasty little skin gland is gone, so is the nasty stink.

The '53 Ford panel truck was another one of my projects. I pulled the straight 6 & installed a 312 CI V8 w/4 barrel carb out of 1957 Ford Fairlane. Also upgraded the electrical from 6 to 12 volts.

This is after I painted it.
post-82-1189634739.jpg

Last edited:
Those are some sweet old jeeps. The willys are way awesome, I’ve always liked them. I’m trying to get my friend to convince his dad to let us get his old willys out and running again. That would be fun and probly better on gas then either of the trucks we drive now.

Those are some sweet old jeeps. The willys are way awesome, I’ve always liked them. I’m trying to get my friend to convince his dad to let us get his old willys out and running again. That would be fun and probly better on gas then either of the trucks we drive now.
I wouldn't bet on that....

OMG!! That's terrible mileage! What are you driving? I want to make sure I don't ever get one!
Mines a 96 F-150 and my friends is a 82 Chevy 1500. We did a little experiment. I went to my friends house and back 2 times, 20 mile round trip and all on the highway (40 total miles). Started with a full tank and filled it up when I got back the second time and it was right at 5 gallons. My friend gets pretty close to the same in his Chevy.

The Willy's pickups used to be a dime a dozen around here but not anymore. but all vintage 4x4's have become hot items in the last few year . I like your build but unless you are fond of the width a set of wheels with proper backspacing would really help in my opinion. you're set way out there, but that's the in thing too right now I guess .

I finished a Jeep pickup a couple years ago myself. I've always restored rigs but mostly cars until recently.

IMG_0735 (2020_02_19 18_51_46 UTC).JPG

Mines a 96 F-150 and my friends is a 82 Chevy 1500. We did a little experiment. I went to my friends house and back 2 times, 20 mile round trip and all on the highway (40 total miles). Started with a full tank and filled it up when I got back the second time and it was right at 5 gallons. My friend gets pretty close to the same in his Chevy.
Ouch. That can get expensive these days!

Just got back from a trip from TN to NE for turkey hunting in my '05 Silverado. Pulling a trailer with 2 ATV's and a stiff headwind most of the way out resulted in about 14 MPG for the entire 3500 mile trip. I'd guess 3400 of the 3500 miles was pulling the loaded trailer. Without the trailer, this trip is usually about 17.5 MPG.

The Willy's pickups used to be a dime a dozen around here but not anymore. but all vintage 4x4's have become hot items in the last few year . I like your build but unless you are fond of the width a set of wheels with proper backspacing would really help in my opinion. you're set way out there, but that's the in thing too right now I guess .

I finished a Jeep pickup a couple years ago myself. I've always restored rigs but mostly cars until recently.

View attachment 75939
dam nice there

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom