winter range

jvgunner

just wondering how the winter ranges are looking out there. seems to me if this winter keeps this pattern the herds may struggle.pray for a warm front.

I know here in WA, we're having the worst winter yet since that awful winter of 95/96. More snow on the way too!

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Northern Utah. We realy need then snow but the mule deer will pay the price

There is more snow than I have seen in several years in SE Idaho. As long as it doesn't get worse I'm optimistic. The good news is that the deer went into the winter with a decent amount of fat on them and the fawns that the F&G are collaring weigh considerably more than past years.

Its the old double edged sword...we need the snow because of the drought but the deer/other critters may pay.

It appears that the tremendous winds here in SE Idaho (68 mph gusts) have kept some of the sidehills open even with the app. 30 inches of snow Pocatello has received. There are fall wheat fields in the area that have less than 2" on them. What is of greater concern than the snow is the bitter cold on right now. There were temps in the area of -20 F last night. The extreme cold is as bad as deep snow.

BrianID is right about body condition going into the winter. Lets hope the southern slopes stay clear and the temps are moderate.

Todays paper said that the "coldest spot in the nation" yesterday Jan. 5th was in West Yellowstone, MT at -45 degrees.
Now that's cold.

Brian

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom