With all the new rifle talk

JPickett

Long Time Member
I’ll throw out one Ive been mulling over. Looking to start a new coyote rifle build and looking at two cartridges. (Ready to get flamed on the first one so here I go)

Really interested in a 22 creedmore with the second thought being a 22-250 akely improved. Ballisticly about identical but I believe the creedmore handles pressure better. Reason that matters to me is I want to shoot 75-90 gr bullets. So probably a 1:7 twist.

Hard to find real feed back in either of these two so anyone who may own one have an opinion? Pros/cons. One thing that concerns me with the creed is barrel life, that’s a lot of over bore. But I imagine the A.I is probably a barrel burner too.

I have no real experience between the two, but I’d go 22-250 AI… brass would be easily fire formed from factory ammo…

Other than that both would be fun guns…

It’s a tough decision. I would say the 22-250 AI because I’ve been around plenty of 22-250s before and really liked them. It seems like I’m hearing more and more about people choosing them for a new Varmint round. I have been around zero 22 Creedmoors so far and heard about as much.

If you can get good 22cm brass in small primer pocket, that'd be the route I'd go. Could also go 6cm and shot 105s.

The small primer pockets are a lot tougher and can handle pressure better.

I also like to shoot coyotes and keep on adding new coyote rifles. I'll talk about coyote hunting all day. I would go with the 22 creedmoor over the 22-250 AI. Not wasting time fire forming brass is a big plus.

If you are considering either of these cartridges you must load your own ammunition. Saving furs must not be a high priority if you are looking at shooting heavy long bullets in either of these cartridges.

I have a regular 22-250 and two 6mm Creedmoor. Price of brass is comparable. I think you will have an easier time finding Creedmoor brass than 22-250 brass. In the last 3 months I have still been able to find Lapua brass for both the 6 creedmoor and 22-250 at reasonable prices ($100/100brass). Peterson has consistently had 6mm creedmoor brass available over the last 12 months. With the Creedmoor you can get small rifle primer brass or large rifle primer brass. I've only seen LRP brass for the 22-250.

I still use 40gr bullets in one of my 223 rem to kill more coyotes than my 6mm creedmoor and 22-250 combined. I shoot most coyotes I call at 200 yards or less and the 223 with 40gr bullet shoots very flat when I do shoot a coyote at 300 or 350 yards. I've never felt my 223 was not enough gun for any coyote that I've shot with it. I'm not shooting coyotes at 400+ yards with it though. The 223 and 40 gr bullets are not a great choice for a guy that is shooting at coyotes at 300+ yards on a regular basis. It looses energy at longer ranges but more importantly that little bullet gets pushed by the wind too much.

The biggest advantage of the 223 is that the recoil is so light that I can watch the coyote get hit in my scope almost 100% of the time. With the 22=250 and 6mm creedmoor, I'm not able to see exactly what happens after I pull the trigger because the extra recoil will often cause my crosshairs to move off target more than the 223. On windy days, I'll often leave the 223 in the truck and take a 6mm creedmoor. In as strong crosswind it is so much easier to hit a coyote with my 6mm at 300 yards than with my 223.

I would also suggest you look at a 6mm creedmoor, 243 win, 243AI or other 6mm cartridge if you don't already have one. The 6mm caliber gives you many options in bullets. If I could only have one coyote cartridge it would be in a 6mm. You can load a 6mm with 55gr bullets and get about 4000 fps. You can load long heavy 100gr to 115 gr bullets that are great for shooting in wind and better for really long shots.

Thanks for the great response there Brian. And yeah, you caught me, I dont do much with most furs. I strip tails to dry out In the shop wall and maceration of skulls is a hobby of mine so I got a bunch of those around. Mostly just try not to break my arm patting myself in the back after shooting them.

I coyote hunt a lot, and I too shoot a rem 223. And I agree it’s about the perfect coyote round. At least 90% if not more coyotes I call are killed under 200 and frankly better then half are just about or get to shot gun range.

So no this build isn’t about practicality or need, it’s really looking for a new toy. The only reason I want a longer heavier bullet is if you coyote hunt as much as I do you know inevitably you get the ones that hang up for whatever reason at 600 and bark at you. One of these calibers with a nightforce on top and I can take care of those dogs too.

One advantage I see to the A.I is being able to act like a snob about it. Throw a suppressor on there and I could really look down my nose at guys

I use a Fast Twist 22-250AI and I'd advise you to go with the 22 Creedmoor because you don't need to form brass for the CM.

I went my way because I had HUNDREDS of once fires 22-250 brass and a sacrificial barrel which was chambered at the same time with the same reamer. No sense putting 400 rounds down your good tube just to get brass.

They're ballistic twins so no argument can be made about performance.

Zeke

any thought on barrel life in the 22 creed? i understand theirs no free lunch but a buddy of mine built a 26 nosler. loaded to get everything he could out of it (had that thing smoking) and shot the barrel out in like 260 rounds. one thing that's always made me shy away from really over bored cartridges

Do a 220 swift AI if you really want to look down your nose.......and search for brass.....lol

BUT....you would be king snob....but not better off

It’s funny. Really a bunch of these new cartridges are just chasing what the swift has done for I think almost a century

Belted cartridges aren’t really my favorite anymore though. The new ones are so easy reloading. I think the 220 swift is technically “semi belted” but I’ve never messed with one

I'll Keep Using My Same Old Varmint Gun!

243 with 80 gr Bullets!

The Tweety Birds & Coyotes I Shoot Don't Really Care if I Hit them with a few Less 100 fps than what You're All Throwing at Them with All Your Custom High Dollar BS!

And One More Thing!

I Pioneered the 22 JFP!

50 BMG Necked to .22!

11,000 fps!

22 JFP.jpg

A guy in our deer club shot a 220 Swift for blacktails. I never saw a pass through, but he killed lots of bucks.

Yup!

That's What All The Critters Said That I've had in The CrossHairs Right Before I Pulled The Trigger!
It’s not about what the critters think, it’s what the gun experts like me on the internet think. By the way, that 22 you pioneered would be better if it was ackley improved. That way it could hold about 12 more grains of powder and it might push it 11,500 FPS.

Ya!

Somebody Will AI It!

It’s not about what the critters think, it’s what the gun experts like me on the internet think. By the way, that 22 you pioneered would be better if it was ackley improved. That way it could hold about 12 more grains of powder and it might push it 11,500 FPS.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom