Wolf hunting

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Would like to try wolf hunting within the next few years during the winter. Preferably with a few feet of snow on the ground. Plan would be to camp from my truck and head out daily on alpine skies or snowshoes. Maybe a couple overnight spike camps. What state and general areas would anyone recommend.
Thanks in advance for any information provided.
Bill

Plenty of wolves in Idaho. They were howling every night in the Clearwater area couple of years ago where we were camped. During winter the usually move down with the prey species.

I just killed a wolf in Idaho a few weeks ago. They have year round tags because they're so out of control up there. I can PM you a good place to go and you don't need to wait until winter to be successful since some of those places are crawling with wolves. Use an electronic wolf call to locate them then some type of animal in distress call to get them to come in close.

I just killed a wolf in Idaho a few weeks ago. They have year round tags because they're so out of control up there. I can PM you a good place to go and you don't need to wait until winter to be successful since some of those places are crawling with wolves. Use an electronic wolf call to locate them then some type of animal in distress call to get them to come in close.
If there's a preditor problem why not just post the area?

If there's a preditor problem why not just post the area?

I would but I know a few local guys that hunt bears in there every year and have for several decades and they wouldn't be too happy with me posting up the area on the internet. So just out of respect for them, I wouldn't want people posting up my honey holes either. I'd be more than happy to PM it to you though if you're actually going to hunt wolves in there.

I would but I know a few local guys that hunt bears in there every year and have for several decades and they wouldn't be too happy with me posting up the area on the internet. So just out of respect for them, I wouldn't want people posting up my honey holes either. I'd be more than happy to PM it to you though if you're actually going to hunt wolves in there.
Any pics? I moved to Idaho 2 years ago and a wolf is definately on my bucket list.

Any pics? I moved to Idaho 2 years ago and a wolf is definately on my bucket list.

wolf.jpeg

Fair enough. I appreciate you taking my question for what it was as inquisitive as opposed to being a jack nut. I do not plan on hunting wolfs anytime soon. I have too much going on with other hunts. But in the future if I can get it in the works I will send ya a PM.

Little size to that one!!
You mount any yet, or you tanning the pelts?

Yeah, he's big. I was blown away by how big he actually was. I'm hoping to get a full body mount done on it as long as the hide is still good. It was hot up there but I got it into a freezer within 3-4 hours so I'm crossing my fingers. I also had to unthaw the hide a week later so the fish and game could pull a tooth and take a tissue sample so it got warm again. I'm going to drop it off to the taxidermist this week so hopefully he doesn't give me bad news. Killing a wolf in my mind is a rare experience.

Some guys get lucky and stumble into Wolves while Deer and Elk hunting. I’ve hunted Wolves a lot and you may go all winter to get one shot,. A lot of the Wolves killed are yearlings, the yearlings have a hard time laying up with the pack so they get up and wander through out the day and get into trouble. I put a lot more miles on hunting Wolves than any other game. The game and fish would be a place to start by asking where they are having the most problems with Wolves. No when and where to use a call, the government hunters have educated a lot of these packs. Then there is getting serious about what you are hunting, every time I go out I’m looking for the Alpha Male, I will let the younger Wolves go to get that one poke at the leader. Last year I was not able to get out much do to work and a year with COVID, but the year before was able to pull off a double witch is near imposible because once a shot is fired it is pure chaos and the whole pack is running in every direction. Good luck on your quest.

B0B36C74-BA26-42CA-AB12-D470211DD86E.jpeg

8E5F8BBE-9627-4659-B615-C9BF9C483C7E.jpeg

Some guys get lucky and stumble into Wolves while Deer and Elk hunting. I’ve hunted Wolves a lot and you may go all winter to get one shot,. A lot of the Wolves killed are yearlings, the yearlings have a hard time laying up with the pack so they get up and wander through out the day and get into trouble. I put a lot more miles on hunting Wolves than any other game. The game and fish would be a place to start by asking where they are having the most problems with Wolves. No when and where to use a call, the government hunters have educated a lot of these packs. Then there is getting serious about what you are hunting, every time I go out I’m looking for the Alpha Male, I will let the younger Wolves go to get that one poke at the leader. Last year I was not able to get out much do to work and a year with COVID, but the year before was able to pull off a double witch is near imposible because once a shot is fired it is pure chaos and the whole pack is running in every direction. Good luck on your quest.

View attachment 44576

View attachment 44577

Nice! We need a lot more hunters like you that are dedicated so we can start lowering their numbers dramatically.

Last edited:

View attachment 44576

View attachment 44577
Congratulations

View attachment 44576

View attachment 44577
Hell yeah congrats!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom