Wolf Hunts

Packmule

I've heard that coming up to Idaho and killing a wolf is harder than one would think?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue? I have some buddy's including myself that would love to come kill some of those beasts.

What you have heard is correct! Contrary to some prevailing theories, there are not wolves behind every tree/elk in Idaho!

I'd guess about 2/3 of Idaho has wolves (this excludes most of Southern Idaho, pretty much south of Boise). That leaves about 56,000 square miles that is occupied by wolves. There is an estimated 800 wolves in the state. That means there is about 70 square miles per wolf! Much of that is remote, roadless, heavily timbered, steep, wilderness! In my opinion, wolves are the hardest animal to hunt in Idaho. Good luck, but if your heading out for a weekend hunt, realize the odds are not in your favor. However, I always have a wolf tag in my pocket, just in case.

Avery Idaho, The St Joe river. The Panhandle Region of Idaho harvests more wolves than any other by far. http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/?getPage=121

When you see those harvest stats you can see why we would be happy to have you come hunt the Panhandle, we have plenty of them.

The 800 number UGA mentions is a minimum number that the state can prove they have.

UGA nailed it on how hard they are to hunt. Try using a siren to locate them, and then be patient when calling, more than an hour if you are in good sign.

Snowmobiles are a great advantage this time of year, you have to be able to cover large expanses of ground until you find fresh sign or get them to howl at the siren.

If you are a F4WM member you can be reimbursed up to $500 of your expenses if you harvest from Dec 1rst through Mar 31rst.
Over $25,000 has been paid out, the program is funded by elk hunters joining a $35 ea in order to encourage wolf harvest.

You cant get one from the couch, and when you do get one nothing is more rewarding. GOOD LUCK!!!!

f4wm.org

Guys, I'll probably never get to hunt them but I have an idea I would try if I did.

I've heard of wolves decimating a pack of hounds baying at a treed lion/bear. Also that they hate dogs.

I think a "Fox Pro" with a pack of hounds baying might get them to lower their guard. Shotguning several in one set would be as good as it gets.

Not sure about the hound thing. I think a couple of hounds have gotten attacked and it get tons of publicity. I've heard the same thing about coyotes, but some of the land owners I've talked too say even with a large pack of wolves around they are still having just as many coyote problems.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom