Wolf release map.

All of you guys that let SS get under your skin are weak and laughable!
That is his motif!
Might want to try a PM as I have. He’s a good guy according to when we have discussed a thing or two.
Move your bitching BS back to the Utah forum where it’s commonplace.

Since were on the subject of grazing public lands and the 'necessity of it to feed america', here is a list of the top 10 beef producing states in the country:

"The ten states with the most cattle, by number of cows per state, are :

1. Texas – 4,475,000
2. Oklahoma – 2,131,000
3. Missouri – 1,941,000
4. Nebraska – 1,832,000
5. South Dakota – 1,610,000
6. Kansas – 1,422,000
7. Montana – 1,299,000
8. Kentucky – 966,000
9. North Dakota – 945,000
10. Iowa – 925,000"

Only 1 of the top 10 states (Montana) has a decent amount of public land that is likely necessary for the sustainability of the cow/calf operations in the western portion of the state.

Wyoming, the state most "lay people" probably think of when they think of open range cattle grazing ranks 14th with 680,000 cows, barely putting it over the national average of 608,000 cows per state.

HOT TAKE ALERT: The reality is, public land grazing is basically just a state sponsored welfare program for mountain state producers, who dont even contribute that much to the total cattle production of the country. I thought if a business model required government assistance it should be allowed to fail in the free market?? The irony of this overwhelming.

An allotment is a binding agreement between the holder and the government. cancel culture doesn't work in the rural west the ranches are on solid ground legally.

What I will agree with is the grazing fees should be closer to private land lease rates. in this area summer pasture rents for $25-$35 depending on the range. USFS and BLM are still around $2.88 per unit last I looked. so private fees run about 1000% more than fed fees. the allotment holders have a right to the grazing , they don't have a right to graze for basically nothing.

if you really want to be pissed, consider the fact that many years the grazing drought assistance payments pay several times more than the grazing fees. so you're actually paying them to graze public lands, after you subsidized the grazing to begin with. I have a bit of a problem with this, especially if you're a producer paying private fees.

An allotment is a binding agreement between the holder and the government. cancel culture doesn't work in the rural west the ranches are on solid ground legally.

What I will agree with is the grazing fees should be closer to private land lease rates. in this area summer pasture rents for $25-$35 depending on the range. USFS and BLM are still around $2.88 per unit last I looked. so private fees run about 1000% more than fed fees. the allotment holders have a right to the grazing , they don't have a right to graze for basically nothing.

if you really want to be pissed, consider the fact that many years the grazing drought assistance payments pay several times more than the grazing fees. so you're actually paying them to graze public lands, after you subsidized the grazing to begin with. I have a bit of a problem with this, especially if you're a producer paying private fees.
Yep, you are absolutely right. If users of the public land, be they livestockmen, or any other users, paid the same or at least close to what they would pay to use private land, the Western States would back off on demanding taking over management from the Feds. Either that or require the other States to pay the Western State’s a far higher rate than they are now, to keep public land public. If a guy from Florida or Michigan, or Alabama wants to keep these lands public, they need to pony up more annual taxes to equalize the lose to the Western States by giving us a pittance in equalization compensation. If it’s public, and I want it to be, we all need to pay more to keep it public.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

Aside from all the obvious issues, its really pretty amazing how much country those animals have covered. They were dropped in an area that is currently loaded with deer and elk (and also small cactus, my dog can attest to this) but appear to have moved on from that area (thankfully for me, for selfish reasons). Guess they dont like the cactus, cuz theres enough deer and elk down there to last awhile.

Also, despite being drugged and relocated, 2 of them appear to be headed back to Oregon. Likely shot if they go into wyoming, recapture agreement with UT. Thatll be something else, if they make it to UT and we bring them back....🤡🤡🤡

TKMule - Can you post the link on the Wyo guys that got 4 of 5 from the Moffat pack and 2 of 5 from North Park- I'm not seeing any info on it..

There was a nice article today in the Cowboy State Daily and it seems they are pretty on top of this to date but didn't mention any info like this.

TKMule - Can you post the link on the Wyo guys that got 4 of 5 from the Moffat pack and 2 of 5 from North Park- I'm not seeing any info on it..

There was a nice article today in the Cowboy State Daily and it seems they are pretty on top of this to date but didn't mention any info like this.

about half way thru the article. theyre claiming 3-4 from the north park pack and 4 from the "former" moffat pack.

I hate cows, but they’re the closest thing to fire suppression we have here. I wish it was elk or deer but that isn’t the case.

The Norwood folks from the BLM and FS keep a lid on new starts, so this isn’t an accurate statement. With the exception of Bull Draw there hasn’t been anything to mention. And the bull draw and mailbox fires look fantastic.

Here you go. Can't confirm, but the facebook is saying 2 CO wolves were shot today in Wyoming.

image0.jpeg

The Norwood folks from the BLM and FS keep a lid on new starts, so this isn’t an accurate statement. With the exception of Bull Draw there hasn’t been anything to mention. And the bull draw and mailbox fires look fantastic.
Exactly which part isn’t accurate?

Fires have a lot more to do with water than they do with fs crews piling up sticks. I’m not ready to credit forest health to the bureaucrats just yet.

I hope that report is correct. However, knowing how facebook and the internet works, 75% chance that is not true. If it was, theyd make a point to SHOW TO COLLAR. Come on cowboy state, show me the collar.

Put the collar on a train that was headed for California like the boys up north did.

That had the man scratching his head for a while....lol

That glimmer is good news. This is all just insulting. Last I check the Gov is supposed to represent all constituents, not just the ones he likes or gives bj’s to. This is an insult and open slap in the face to most of the state. Why can’t he be the “libertarian businessman” he claims to be and run the cpw as such. I mean if it is run correctly it brings in a lot of money for the state

I don't believe it. Smoke screen. Can't be trusted. He does not govern. He strong arms dictates even with our state legislatures.

Exactly which part isn’t accurate?

Fires have a lot more to do with water than they do with fs crews piling up sticks. I’m not ready to credit forest health to the bureaucrats just yet.
You said “cows are the closest thing we have to fire suppression”
I said your comment is not accurate and it’s not. And I don’t think the flannel wearing hippy smoking a joint on the way to the FS building daily is the bureaucrat but that’s another subject. We do have suppression resouces in the Southwest and some of the best in the country.

You said “cows are the closest thing we have to fire suppression”
I said your comment is not accurate and it’s not. And I don’t think the flannel wearing hippy smoking a joint on the way to the FS building daily is the bureaucrat but that’s another subject. We do have suppression resouces in the Southwest and some of the best in the country.
I politely disagree with you AZGuy. Livestock grazing is about all we have in our tool bag here in Colorado that is permitted. What is Az doing that is better?

I politely disagree with you AZGuy. Livestock grazing is about all we have in our tool bag here in Colorado that is permitted. What is Az doing that is better?
Are you talking about fire fighting resources? If so we are talking about two different things. I’m talking about rangeland management. I suppose I should have said fuel suppression.

But in case we are talking about the same thing, I’ve noticed the HUGE increase in logging activity as well.

Are you talking about fire fighting resources? If so we are talking about two different things. I’m talking about rangeland management. I suppose I should have said fuel suppression.

But in case we are talking about the same thing, I’ve noticed the HUGE increase in logging activity as well.
Fuels suppression is a here I'm at. No way is a cow taking down an adult tree. ✌️

No suppression and fuels management are two different things. You said said suppression, your neck of the woods has good folks that put fire out.

No suppression and fuels management are two different things. You said said suppression, your neck of the woods has good folks that put fire out.
I wasn’t talking about firefighters; I should have been clearer.

Wildland firefighting is a pretty popular career choice for the kids around here anymore. Several of the local football players/wrestlers that I know are out there lugging that crap up and down the hills.

IMG_1786.jpeg

I am going to have this picture made into a poster and hold it in front of me when I hunt in CO. Safer than blaze orange. No one can shoot me then!

probably a couple of old lady wolves in their Subarus….

Suggested an edit for old fox, they suggest the info is released late to protect from tourist, hunters and the public, went ahead and let them know the word they are looking for is poachers…

Headed toward Boulder!!!! Maybe the others will follow.

As a veterinarian, I will be sad when pets start getting eaten by wolves. But not sad for their owners that voted this in. It remains to be seen how this will play out. Unlike Wyoming/ Montana/Idaho, in Colorado there are very few places where there aren’t people in substantial numbers even in the mountains. As far as I am concerned, the sooner they get to places like Boulder the better.

It’s easy for them so far. In the winter, wolves have the advantage. Not to mention the tasty cattle they have been served up. And they currently have little competition. Will have to be a bit more wolves and game dispersed in summer range before they start eating pets. But who knows, there are so many people these days that hike the back country with their pets…

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom