Wolfs in Snowbasin UT area

U

UThunting

I have heard that there is 4 wolfs up near Snowbasin in Utah has anyone heard the same or better yet seen anything

I am a little scared to have these animals in utah but dont know what to think for shure but if there in snowbasin next month is the breeding time for them and it could mean Hell for the already low deer numbers in northern Utah

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

You smoking that Wackie-Tabackie this early morning?? !!

I have spent alot of time snowshoeing up around there this whole winter, down in Green Lakes trail area too and never heard or cut a wolf track, there is a few Mnt. Lion tracks now and then. I've hunted the Ogden South turkey tag 2 years in a row in March/April and never heard or saw a wolf......

I think building all those homes and the other development is causing a heck of a lot more problems for wintering deer/elk/moose than the wolf rumors.....

Got any photo's??

Hmmm why is it that you always post against me every time????

Got any Photos ????
No infact I was asking if anyone had some info as I have not seen anything its just a matter of someone telling me that people up in the valley have seen them so I wanted to Know if there was any truth to it.....

But I guess you being a expert on the area There could not be any truth to it after all the two turkeys U shot should have told you there was wolfs up there before you shot them rite???

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah

Makes sense to me...
If your on the mountain ya have a tendency to see or hear or cut some different tracks each trip. In that particular area you are refering to, I'm up there on most winter time wednesday mornings and sunday mornings snowshoeing and all summer long I'm up on the 'Basin' hiking and training/conditioning my llama packstring and haven't cut a track, heard a wolf or seen anything that would give any wolves up there any merit.
I hunted my turkey tag with my bow an didn't get a harvest, my wife hunted her tag the next year and got hers with her 20gauge shotgun, we spent close to 8-10 days out in that area both years/seasons, not a wolf sighted or heard.
I'm not going against ya, I'm doing as you do and giving a personal experience of valid info from being up there. Is that not why guys post on websites to get feedback on a topic???

O then I am sorry I guess I should have said 1 turkey instead of 2

Rob u are a great guy but it seams to me that you are a little quick to critize..

I will bet you 1 lamma that there is infact a wolf or wolfs in the area of snowbasin and lost creek drainage

I know you are knowledgeable in the outdoors and you help a lot of people but I feel like you are a little to critical and like to prove your knowledge and I am probably the same

I would bett that there was no wolfs when you hunted the turkeys but they are moving in to the area and I hate that fact

I hunted around bear lake the last few years and did not see any sign yet they shot 2 wolfs just last year up there

Anyway dont want to fight about it and I shure dont need any more enemies so lets just see if I will owe u that lamma

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

It is definitely possible.. Early winter is when wolves begin to disperse to find new territory and new mates..

Wolves have been found just north and east of there, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have made it that far..

I think they will have a bigger impact on Elk, than Muleys..

hope you don't have wolves.utah wildlife will suffer. my brother in-law has an outfitter business in mont an says when wolves move in wildlife move out of the whole valley. he said it takes a week or 2 for elk an deer to come back if wolves move on.until all predators are managed better deer an elk will suffer.an guess who suffers also us hunters.i just wish the fish an wildlife would do a better job of managing predators.

Do you think the wolves should be hunted? I would love to get a big dog. I once heard that pure white wolves run with the yetti.

Thank Idaho... boys! Seeing that we had a major surplus, we sent a few your way. Enjoy what the feds have forced on us. Wait till they start running in packs.

I don't read one single line of critcism towards you at all Clint. I see lots of sentences about my personal experiences of being on the mountain up there in the area around Snowbasin and I stated I have seen nothing what-so-ever to lead me to believe that there is a single wolf currently in that area.

I know nothing at all about way over in Lost Creek..... never said I did.

Will they someday move in from the Morgan or Cache county area? most probably yes.

How can ya bet something ya don't even own??

I know for a fact that they are in the area just East of Woodruff, UT on the WY side. Seen the tracks and the calateral damage the last part of January. They will obliverate a dear. If they aren't here, like Robb said, they will be.
Yelum

I've spent every weekend since Thanksgiving in the Blacksmith Fork/Monte Cristo area scouring for lion and bobcat tracks and have yet to see any evidence of wolves in this area. If there were wolves around Snowbasin, they would have most likely have passed through some of this country and I suspect that I or one of my houndsmen buddies would have found some tracks.

I'm not saying there aren't any wolves around Snowbasin, just that nobody around here that I trust has found any evidence of wolves passing through here to get there.

A big red Ford??? Nah, I drive my old wore out pink Chevy. The only houndsman I know from Cache County that drives a 4 door red Ford is big Billy J., but he's only hunted a couple of weekends out in Nevada this year and not at all around here. Where have you been seeing this truck??? I think I would have remembered it if I saw it.

Alot during the mid-week days along the Hardware Ranch road. He has some apartments in Logan...... no biggy, we just chatted a few times while I was chasing the bow-cow elk tag the last 3 years in January but I arrowed my cow early this year on the 5th of Dec. and never saw him at all that first week.

Clint, between this thread and the comments ya made over on the elk page, you got wolves from Bear Lake to the 'Valley' (Huntsville), Snowbasin, Lost Creek and now east of Mnt. Green by the Browning bldg./airstrip......Man they are everywheres!!

No doubt they will move in before long.....sad deal most probably.

Yeah PleaseDear, that was big Billy you ran into, the apartment thing gives it away. I've talked to him a couple of times this winter and he's told me he hasn't hunted much around here this year. You'll never meet a nicer guy than big Billy, as I'm sure you learned.

I heard from a gov't trapper in the valley area .
He said that there were a pair of them up around
snowbasin around the November time and they left.
the area within a couple weeks because he said
they make big loops from yellowstone down threw
wyoming and down here and back up threw Idaho.

rope, I really find wolves very interesting and would like to get more info on what I could be looking for in that particular area. The only time I've ever been around wolves was when I was a teenager living in Maine. What was that govt. guys name?? Was he a Fed. or state guy? You can E-mail me at home for his [email protected] thanks alot.

Come on Rob quit busting my butt

How far is it from lost creek to snowbasin or from browning to middlefork not far (atleast for a animal to get around and live)

I was just told that they are up there and I do think there is a very chance they are in the area as they did trap one in Morgen and you know that...

I cant give you a GPS coordinates to them but I have a good Idea there in that area sorry I have not seen any but would not be suprised to see them in the area (would You?)

As far as Bear Lake we already know there is wolfs in that area and have been there for some time and I would say if they are there they are headed south and have had a few years to get to the snowbasin area

Like I have said I have not seen any and cant say there is any there but I would bett they are there now today but I could lose that bett wish someone did know I would like to see them if they are there just to take a few photos and show you but no such luck

One thing is for shure we can agree to disagree RITE?

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Ut

I aint dogging ya Clint, ya got wolves all over Cache/ Weber and Morgan Countys!
Tell ya what, get your snowshoes and daypack and a lunch put together and lets go for a hike-look-see this Sunday up around Snowbasin....we can bushwack alot all over up there and see what we can see.....it would be a ball and a fun day outting. 7am-ish at the Sinclair by the Trappers Loop turn off??

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-04 AT 04:23PM (MST)[p]Cache/Weber and Morgan

OK Cache= 2 killed last year

OK Weber= I said I had heard of someone seeing some wolfs there I once again did not say I seen any but I would bett they are there, Even the Fish and Game thinks there MIGHT just be some up there...enuff that the Gov Trapper is saying there is no doubt that they are there (give him a call F&G has the #)

OK Morgan= 1 trapped last year fish and game took back to Yellowstone

So are you busting my Balls over this???? I think so

So two of the 3 countys have had wolfs (and might just still have) and I would bett there is some in the 3rd county

Lostcreek to Snowbasin (weber & Morgan County)
Less then 7 miles

Snowbasin to Bearlake less then 25 miles

Jackson Hole Wy to Snowbasin Ut what lets say under 130 miles

Mountain range all the way from Canada to Mexico threw Yellowstone

You are starting to sound like the people that forced these animals on us ("They wont leave the Yellowstone Tetton are" YA RITE!!)

Rob I have no doubt that you have been all over the Snowbasin area as I know you are a hell of a hiker infact you know that I wont go with you sunday just to be showed up by you

But the more I add things up you are probably 100% Rite in saying there is no way there is wolfs up there and also because my grandpa said I wouldnt know a WOOF if I seen a Woof just before he died

Have a great day on sunday I will have to pass as I will be in Wendover losing my ass in another way (not the right way but the fun way)

Really Rob I dont care you dont think there is a wolf in that area I just like giving you a hard time so that in the next two weeks when one gets trapped I can give you hell (I hope)or in a few weeks you can give me more hell

Dont get eaten by the big bad wolf he is up in them mountains hunting lammas JK

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah

Damn I hope you two can be friends again soon. Clint I called you today and all I got was call me back in two minutes. sorry I got busy and didnt get to call you back. You two need to come have coffe with me sometime so we can have a sensible conversation with out the bikering. We can talk about pancakes or something. Since Clint will be buying.

mouse.gif

Soooo now your saying that they are all gone??
Cache killed
Morgan trapped/removed
And no other confirmation available.......
7 miles from where to Lost Creek??? Fly away....

I have yet to say that there are no wolves in these areas ya keep harping about Clint. I've given ya my on the mountain experiences of not having any sightings or sign of any wolves.

So if Karl Malone has on a big fur coat and hat and is out snowshoeing..... ya gonna say that Bigfoot is up there too?? hahaha

Win some $$$ in Bendover!!

by no means am i a expert but that link to the ksl site about the "wolf" up near snowbasin sure to hell looks like a wolf to me! to dark to be a coyote and to big also. it lookes like the one from morgan that was trapped! JUST MY 2 CENTS!

NOW YOU ARE GETTING TO ME

Just read threw the posts and tell me where I said they are there I just said it only makes sense to me and I would bett there in snowbasin area

Sorry Rob I know for a fact you have been up hiking around the basin area but you have not ben everywhere

On more ? what will you say if there is wolfs up there and they get proof in the next few weeks? (that they where not there when you was there??)

Come on I dont think you have seen any wolfs or tracks and I can understand you not thinking that they are there but dont tell me I am wrong in everything I say in these posts

I am just trying to find out if there is wolfs in Snowbasin area
and ya its about 7 miles from Lostcreek to Snowbasin what do you think it is???? (and I am not talking on the roads)

I am sorry for being such a ass about this but people better wake up and smell the coffee I aint scared of 3 or 4 wolfs on the basin area its the packs of wolfs that are comming

How do you keep them out of the areas you dont want them if you can not manage them how are you keeping them out of middle fork in the winter? how you keeping them out of the Uintas in the spring and summer or how about your loved area Rob the three corners area? or even worse yet how about out of the foot hills of the wasatch front where we hike and are kids play (& start fires) they will be there look how fast they came to Utah already..

I know people think I am nuts about this but you better wake up and fight this they will be here and the antis just love it they say it is natural but I say there is no room here in Utah we have spent millions to save what little wilderness we have dont screw up with it

I hate that someone back east is telling me we should have wolfs here when as far as I know most here do not want them...

Utah has been threw some ruff times and there just starting to get some great areas ie Wasatch, Manti, Book Cliffs hell we are just starting to see what we can do on the Henrys dont think for a second those wolfs wont be there in 5 to 10 years what will happen I do not know....

Wolfs are pack animals they are great Predators they need big areas to live they move all around and Utah dont have that kind of room leave them in Canada or Alaska if people want to go see them go there to Alaska or Canada if you cant afford that go to the zoo if you cant afford that I will get you a pass for the zoo or send some pictures or even a video

Rob Do not think I hate you over this we both know we will run into each other sooner then latter I still need my red bulls at 7-11 to just get my ass out of bed, so I hope I see you there I understand why you dont think there is wolfs in snowbasin and there might not be but I fill just as strong that wolfs are there and will be in and out of that area for a few years and then we will see the packs comming.

Breeding time is next month for wolfs what you think they will be doing if there up there now ???

PS The Gov Trapper said that wolfs are there and if you need his phone # call the F&G and get his number he will let you know what he knows I know that if wolfs are there and you found out where they are you would be there in the right place looking

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Roy Utah

I've said all along that there will no doubt be wolves in that area before long Clint. I have no problem with Mother Nature and what she decides is coming or maybe is there already.

You have just used me, like you did 'Moosie' on your big huff and puff thread last year about Canned Migration hunts or whatever. If a guy doesn't jump on your bandwagon you go after them and then try and turn it around. Govt. hunter was last year info!! about they 'thought' the trapped wolves 'may' have come back down.

Your more concerned about trying to prove yourself right about wolves living there right now and telling me off than you are concerned about what the wolves will do to deer/elk/turkeys/moose/cattle/sheep/people and so on....

Those video 'wolves' sure looked like a wolf to me too.

They are coming Clint and there is no other way around it, just like whiteail deer........Mother Nature rules!

Hey Guys:

I may be stirring things up a bit with this question but what the heck. Why does everyone down there have a problem with wolves? We have plenty of wolves here in Alberta and plenty of deer, elk and moose. I have a pack of wolves that wonders through my place during the winter and still manage to take deer and moose there every year. I don't really see a big problem.

Just a question

Chuck

CLS- That is a fair question and I can only give my opinion. First off, I have a ranch with cows. I have talked to many ranchers in WY, ID, MT that have had wolves kill thier stock. Yes they are repaid if it is proven a wolf killed the animal, but there is NO peace of mind for the rancher. Most rachers don't want to deal with dead and wounded livestock.

Secondly, I am a hunter. Down here in Utah and other western states we have too many humans wanting to harvest the availible game animals. Every wolf kills animals that could be harvested by a hunter. The wolf is a wasteful hunter in that thrill kills are common. The ungulate populations don't need more pressure from a predator. Another real problem is that we can not control the wolf. No hunting them. They are expanding at a high rate, which is diminishing game herds substantialy. Last, wolves here in Utah would pin the ungulate herds between deep snows and civilization. There is no where for the animals to go because we humans have developed significant winter ranges.

I would guess Canada is much different than the Mountains of Utah, or WY, ID, MT.

CLS

It also has to do with states rights. The feds dumped wolves in WY, IDaho and Montana against the wishes of the states. There is currently enough wolves to delist, but following delisting then the states get to absorb the cost of management responsibility which is between 500,000 and a million $$ a year. These $$ will come out of the state wildlife agencies funds, thus sportsman $. All for something the states didn't want in the 1st place. The feds walk away and wipe their hands of any fiscal responsibility for their actions.

sort of like what your Goverment did to the Provinces with gun registration in Canada that has cost over 1 billion $$, and still climbing.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Hey Klbuc:

I was having a good day until you brought that up!!!(LOL).

Wolves here are kind of like yodel dogs. As a landowner we can pretty much hunt them year round. Gives us something to do in the winter. If the population got out of hand wouldn't the government introduce some type of management plan? Or are they like here and only act after it is too late?

Thanx

Chuck

Rob you might be right we will leave it with I hope there not wolfs ...

cls they wont do somthing a damn thing tell its too late or we fight it

Did anyone go to the wolf meeting last night here in Utah I wanted to go but wife working and 2 sick kids stoped me...

Rob have you found out about the ORYX yet???
hope you draw I am shure my wife and daughter did not draw

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom