Wolves and Wacko's in Oregon

muleyman

Very Active Member
Oh the poor little doggies...

PENDLETON -- People hoping to someday hear a wolf serenading the moon in the Oregon
backcountry found themselves elbow-to-elbow at a public meeting Wednesday with ranchers and others who fear migrating wolves might develop a taste for the state's cattle, elk and deer.

Roughly two dozen wolf advocates from the Willamette Valley were among more than 50 people attending a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service meeting at the Red Lion Hotel in this rodeo,
wheat and cattle town.

Ed Bangs, wolf recovery coordinator for the agency, outlined a proposal to remove the gray wolf later this year from the federal list of threatened and endangered species in the northern Rocky Mountains and Eastern Oregon and Washington.

An estimated 1,250 wolves now roam Idaho, Montana and Wyoming, and if they are delisted, their management would revert to the states, he said. In Oregon, the wolf would be a protected nongame animal.

Josh Laughlin, director of the 700-member Cascadia Wildlands Project, based in Eugene,
said if the species is delisted and many wolves in Idaho are killed, efforts at wolf recovery in Oregon and Washington would be set back. "Right now is a historic opportunity to ensure recovery occurs in Oregon," he said. "We have a moral and ecological obligation to do so."

"We are looking at a lot of predation on livestock, on deer and elk," said Larry Hoeft, a Pendleton area rancher. Rancher Rex Christensen of Pilot Rock said states' attempts to reimburse ranchers when wolves kill livestock are doomed to fail.

Biologists can't confirm that any gray wolves make their home in Oregon. But ranchers from the Richland and Halfway area of Baker County told the Fish and Wildlife Service that wolves have been sighted there.

Just more proof we need to give western Oregon to California and make eastern Oregon a new state. just like the lion hunting with dogs issue we never have a say over here, 86% of the voters are west of the Cascades so we're just along for the ride. unless the feds delist them the hippies will get their wolves, they might anyway.

there won't be anything for 'em to eat except cattle, theres no more deer in oregon....

I'm with you huntindude, let's split OR and WA, and combine the two. Two new states from two old states, and better for everyone in the end. Scott

Boy,

Show me shocked that the kooks are from Eugene. I'm sure he fired up his VW Van, put on his birkenstocks and drove over in his tie-die t-shirt and impressed the hell out of the boys in Pendleton. What is funny is that the bioligist couldn't confirm if there were wolves here, funny one was hit on I84 in Ladd Canyon and another collared female was found in John Day. I would say that is a confirmation.

Rich

boys wolves are here! WE can't do a darn thing about it. Lets keep the wolves and shoot the fair packin granolas.

Huff you're right, so can we feed the hippies to the wolves and save what little's left of our game herds?

Huntin Dude. What makes you think we want your Fruits and Nuts? We have more than our share now. 86/14 in Oregon? In Kali I would bet its 95/5 if you drew the line above Sacto and half of the 95% don't even speak english.

You can't use dogs on lions? We can't even shoot them unless we follow the 3 S's. Shoot, shovel, shut-up. It's a b###h when you can't even tell your friends about the lion you wasted, or import the lion you took legally in another state to Kali. The glass is half full in Oregon and empty in Kali.

But since you brought up the idea, I'm proposing you include NE Kali into your new state. I'm sure most of Northern Nevada would join up too.

talking about dividing CA. I found out today that during 1940-1941 there was a very strong push going on in the state Gov. to divide CA. into 2 different states, North & South. It looked like it was going to pass the vote until Dec.7, 1941 happen. then it was shoved aside as this country went to war.
Also one of our long term Dems, Willie Brown, he also was known as Slick Willie, had enacted a bill in 1964 to divide the state, but it was shot down by his own party. There is talk going on to divide, but to make it into 3 different states due to size and population. I am for that, us N.W. CA. folks can get rid of both Southern CA. and the bay area with it's uptight liberals. Then we can build more dams on our rivers and sell the water and electrical power to them until they choke on it.

RELH

Just an honest question, is there any room for predators anywhere? Seems to me it's just a part of nature.

RUS

If man wasn't here the wolves would have a place in the lower 48. if you figure the habitat we screw up, the animals we kill every day with cars and such, what we take by hunting, not to mention the predetors we have already the answer is no. so if there's not enough game to go around what gives first? you got it , hunters. you can't have your cake and eat it too, the anti's understand that. so the hunters must go, or just let the hunting get so bad we don't care anymore and we'll go away on our own.

Apparently those deer and elk are just for humans to kill, poach and run over with vehicles.

Pretty soon there will be a movement to kill all remaining predators. Gotta get those B&C animals you know.

Hey MuleyMan,

I will tell you what is alarming to me however it is sad to say is the norm and that is that there was 50 people at the meeting and 2 dozen were tree huggers. That is the sad state that we are in as outdoorsman. As you guys know, I am a fishing guide here in Oregon and have went to more meetings and hearings then I can count. At EVERY meeting there is a handful of outdoorsman and majority of treehuggers. Most of the time the commission board will listen but the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I have been part of a group of fisherman that literally changed the minds of the commission board but more times then not the tree huggers are 1. more organized 2. come in forces 3. use the media. After a big decision on fishing that more times then not hurt us sportsman, I will be on the river and hear dozens of complaining fisherman and get many, many emails about the change of a rule and I always ask them what meeting they went to or how many emails, letters and phone calls they made and that usually shuts them up. I guess I am saying that we are in a new age where we ALL have to get involved no matter how busy our lives get. If we truely love our freedoms GET INVOLVED!!!

God Bless and see you in the Outdoors,

Jon and Stacy Ball
[email protected]
1-877-347-4662
www.JonsOutdoors.com
Which consists of
Gimme A Go Fishing Adventures (Columbia River)
JS Outfitters (Hunting Wyoming)
Thorne Bay Lodge (Alaska)

It isn't about wiping out predators, it is about protecting hunting. One segment of society believes predators should be restored in the west. They want this so bad that they are willing to lie, cheat, etc.

Some believe and desire that we maximize predator numbers and minimize hunter numbers. These same individuals are not contributing in wildlife management as hunters/anglers; therefore, they are contributing little if anything in the may of money for wildlife management.

There is a philosophical war raging. The Federal government believe in natural regulation to manage wildlife populations. This is what you see in the National Parks, etc. Wildlife doesn't directly generate any money under this system. The States have used hunting/angling to mangage renewable wildlife resources. Under this system, hunters/anglers play a vital role in managin wildlife through the purchase of licenses and hunting/fishing equipment, etc. The state system has worked for almost a century. All wildlife have benefited from hunter/angler dollars, not just the species we hunt/fish.

The war is all about public opinion. Those that have sought to end hunting/angling are trying to replace hunters/anglers. The majority of the people that live in the USA are in the middle; neither pro nor anti-hunting/fishing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that the argument will be should abundant wildlife by used to fill the egos of hunters/anglers or should predators be restored and whatever is left over can be hunted/fished. All the science todate demonstrates that wolves are significantly impacting elk and moose numbers. The experts will and have said that the impacts are localized; yet, when the evaluate the impacts they aplly them broadly rather than locally.

Make no mistake about it. Wolves were brought to the Northern Rockies with two purposes; eliminate hunting, and stop public land grazing. Once they have hunters out of the mountains and livestock off the mountains, they will begin to redefine the west. The are also seeking to stop oil and gas exploration as they want the west to be what the percieve it to be: A great, vast, park. This park will be available for exclussive use by the rich and elite. Many act as though they care about the average individual but once the accomplish their goal you will see them begin to utilize your public lands for their sole benefit.

Hi I'm new here but I hope it's ok to toss my 2 cents in??

I have ranched in the Richland/Halfway area for the last 12 yrs and we as well as our neighbors have seen wolves and wolf sign. Several sightings, we believe to be the same wolf as it is always described the same and in the same general location, which is less then 6 miles from the town of Halfway.

I agree with Oregon Fishing Guide, that Ranchers and Outdoorsmen need to unite and become more involved if they are to have any chance of holding off the hoardes of bunny loving Tree Huggers. Has anyone ever tried to get a Rancher off the Ranch for anything other then to go to the Sale or the Feed store??? It's not an easy thing!

Back
Top Bottom