Woman's draw weight for deer?

monsterMullet

Wife's got archery deer tag. What weight should she be at and what distance should she limit her shots to? She is currently at 55lbs.

She shoots pretty good. We sighted her bow in for 50yds but I was hoping she would limit her shots to <40yds. Just wondering what people's opinions were.

55# is plenty if she can make an accurate shot - that is the key. Good to keep shots within her effective range as you mentioned.

I got a complete pass through on my first deer when I was 13 years old with a 43 pound bow. Hit em right and everything else takes care of itself.

She's definitely ready. We scouted last week in nm 36 and saw 11 bucks. She's been shooting twice a day and about 20 shots per time. Just wanted people's opinions on limits and the draw weight. Neither of us have killed with a bow and if successful will be both of our first deer.

40lbs with a COC head and my wife made a double lung pass through on whitetail like it was nothing
23566FBC-33AB-435A-A108-9523E2C9074C.jpeg

MonsterMullet,

Are you bragging or asking about 55 lbs? LOL

Like others have said, It's plenty for everything!

I killed a B&C moose 5 years ago with my compound set at 57 and it would have gone through but for the shoulder blade and it put a cool X in it. He never made it out of sight.

It's proof that your wife is as tough as me! LOL

Best of luck to you and her, man!

Zeke

MonsterMullet,

Are you bragging or asking about 55 lbs? LOL

Like others have said, It's plenty for everything!

I killed a B&C moose 5 years ago with my compound set at 57 and it would have gone through but for the shoulder blade and it put a cool X in it. He never made it out of sight.

It's proof that your wife is as tough as me! LOL

Best of luck to you and her, man!

Zeke
She's laughing at your humor!
For a 120lb woman she's strong.

I was gonna add that I've shot plenty of whitetails with my bow set around 55-58. I think speed is about 260 fps. Whitetails can be very skittish and prone to jumping the string so I limit my shots to about 25 yards. Can't speak for mule deer as I've never hunted them with a bow.

Oh, congrats, and post some smiling tailgate pics!

I was gonna add that I've shot plenty of whitetails with my bow set around 55-58. I think speed is about 260 fps. Whitetails can be very skittish and prone to jumping the string so I limit my shots to about 25 yards. Can't speak for mule deer as I've never hunted them with a bow.

Oh, congrats, and post some smiling tailgate pics!
Actually I shot at a buck first morning and it ducked the string. Was strange but it was 58yds. I would post pics but family doesn't like pics on the innerwebs. Here's a pic of the victim.

P1080327 - Copy.JPG

I just shot two cow elk with my bow last week that is set at 58 lbs. One cow was broadside and arrow was a full pass through (even went through one of the shoulder blades). Other cow was quartering really hard away from me and I was slightly above her....arrow went in at upper portion of hindquarter near hip bone and stopped at her sternum. Both cows ran less than 20 yards and were dead within 15 seconds.

IMO, broadhead size (and sharpness) and arrows seem to make a bigger difference for penetration than draw weight.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom