Worked my little...

OutdoorWriter

Long Time Member
...fingers to the bone yesterday & was fully exhausted when I was done smoking a few things. I had brined two salmon fillets overnight so I got them ready with a rub I use for fish. Then I did a rack full of $.89 lb. country style ribs that I have creative plans for. And lastly, I did two racks of St. Louis style ribs.

I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker, so I set the timer for 7 hrs. & the temp at 225. I took the CS ribs & salmon out after 2 hrs.

The salmon was done, and most of it will go in the freezer in smaller individual chunks for later use in salad or dip. Within the next two days, tho, I'll be making up a concoction with shredded salmon, soft cream cheese & spices to stuff some large jalapenos. They will be breaded & deep fried to become poppers!

I only wanted to get the smokey flavor, so the CS ribs were only done part way. Tomorrow I'm going to take them & finish them in crockpot with El Patio hot tomato sauce, onions, garlic & spices.

I'm doing the regular ribs using the 3-2-1 method: 3 hrs open with just the dry rub, 2 hrs. wrapped tightly in foil with apple juice & 1 hr. open with BBQ sauce. But it was getting late, so I took them out of the smoker & into the fridge after 5 hrs. I'll do the last hr. in a little bit by covering them with BBQ sauce & using the oven. Some will be my dinner tonight & the rest go in the freezer. I'll add a photo manana.

Here are the salmon & CS ribs so far after coming out of the smoker.

smokedsalmon.JPG

countryribs.JPG

Last edited:
Finished up the country-style ribs in the crockpot last night. Concocted a sauce of watered down El Patio hot tomato sauce with diced onion, garlic, jalapenos & various spices. As noted above. I had already had the ribs in the smoker for 2 hrs. to get the apple wood flavor.

CSribs.JPG

I do a lot of salmon also in a smoker just like yours.
Would you mind sharing your brine and what chips you use?
Just looking for something different to change it up once in a while.

My 'brine' is actually a dry one -- a pre-mix of equal parts sea salt & brown sugar.

Then I take a flat pan that's large enough to lay the fillets flat. I cover it with enough Saran wrap to also go around the fillets after I coat them.

So put down a layer of the 'brine' that's wide & long enough to lay a fillet skin side down. Now cover the flesh side with the 'brine' & put the 2nd fillet on top of the first, also skin side down. Another layer of 'brine' to the flesh side, wrap the whole thing in the Saran & put it into the fridge overnight. The 'brine' will turn liquidy as it draws the moisture from the fish. So be sure it's in something to contain any leaks. When ready for the smoker, unwrap, rinse well, pat dry and put your fav rub or spices on it.

I used apple wood for this batch of smoked items. I left the salmon in for 2 hrs. at 225.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom