Worth 12 pts!

buckspotter7

My Dad and I had waited 12 years to draw a Book Cliffs rifle tag. Being 69 years old, I was worried about the chances of my Dad getting a good buck. To be honest, I was worried about either of us killing a buck worthy of a 12 year wait on one of our last hunts together. We decided to hunt an area that we had hunted on one of my first trips 22 years ago when it was OTC and 3pt. or better.

We saw very few deer, a few elk and a couple of bear cubs in the first four days. On the fifth afternoon I was lucky enough to find this buck and decided he was the one I came for. He is a 30 1/4" 5x4.
4236dscf0190two.jpg

I want to thank my buddy Jimmy, who showed up in camp that night and helped me pack my buck out the next day. He had a smile on his face for the whole 12 mile round trip with a heavy pack. He also helped us get back to the task of getting my Dad a nice buck a lot quicker.

On the seventh morning we left camp with hopes of finding a big buck for my Dad. We saw a few more deer, passing on bucks that may have went 22" to 24". About the time my Dad may have been thinking of lowering his sights, we ran into his buck. He killed this 31 1/2" 4x4.

8849dscf0207two.jpg

It was an amazing trip where both of us killed our biggest bucks to date. Everything just seemed to go right. I would have used any amount of points to experience a hunt that memorable with my Dad.

1121dscf0205two.jpg

Great story and great bucks!!!! I am more envious of you having a great hunt with your dad than of your big bucks tho.....I lost mine when he was only 56. A hunt you will no doubt treasure to the end of your days. Congrats!

I'd second the "good to get to hunt with your dad" thoughts. My dad wasn't ABLE to hunt at that age and is gone now.

That being said......well done. Those a good deer.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

Congrats on the hunt. Man you can't beat those father/son or father/daughter hunts no matter how old you are. Great memories!!

Awesome bucks congrats and I'm envious of your hunt since I lost my dad at age 22 he was only 55 and never got to take a buck with my dad. That's one I will never experience but I made sure last year and watchedc my son take his 1st buck again coongrats on 2 great bucks I hope you never forget this hunt

Great bucks guys,shows what can happen when you let those 24" go.Again great job hope you and your dad get some more like those.Ron

You shot your bucks 6 miles back in somewhere...?? Wow- that's pretty dedicated man..!! Good job to both of you on great bucks..!! It really sounds like a hunt of a lifetime...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

To kill 2 30+inch bucks is a heck of a job but to do it with a 69 year old dad is an even bigger achievment great job and be glad you did it with someone you love great job and awesome bucks

Awesome job!!! 2 great deer,and to experience it with you father makes it a lifetime experience.I just returned from a colorado hunt with my son and it was the best hunt of my life.Well not exactly returned yet as we are stuck in Raton NM waiting on the mechanic to replace bad fuel injectors in my diesel. Great post.

Damnation guys! You did well!

I lost my dad in 1989 and still miss him to this day!

You're a lucky man for having him on your great adventure. Congratulations to you both on a couple first class trophies!

Zeke

Nice bucks. I have that second one on video from a scouting trip in September. Congrats.

his pops deer is every bit of 30+" IMO. tip to tip ya.

sons deer 26"ish with a 3"ish kicker close to 30"

both are super bucks,congrats

"if you want some get some...if your bad enough come take some"

The bucks are exactly what I said they are. 30 1/4 and 31 1/2.
Here is some more info though. Mine is 29" w/o cheater. We measured several times and got 30 1/4 to the cheater. I wasn't gonna say 30 if he wasn't. His ears were 22" laid out flat. Mine is also 23 1/2" tall, measured vertically from skull to line even with highest points. My Dad's buck was a no-brainer 31 1/2" at the widest point and 19 1/4" tall.

I estimate that my buck field-dressed around 200 lbs. He didn't have a huge body. My Dad's had a massive body. Everything about it was bigger than mine. Lucky we didn't have to pack his out. We guessed that he field -dressed comfortably over 250.
Thanks again everyone!

Horn_Star

You are a F#%$*&^ Tool Pound Sand

"And just what were these guys doing riding horses in an aspen thicket"
WhiskyMan

Great bucks, tell the hunters congrats... Its not as easy out there as people make it out to be...
CSO

It's all about the good times...

MonsterMuleysLogo.png

>those bucks are not over 30....
>sorry

I can totally see this guy measuring an inch between his fingers on a ruler and spacing them out on the screen. You are right, doing it that way will not get you 30".

Horn Star has his wife/girlfriend do all his measuring for him so he's used to people trying to use the cm side.....
Anyway great job those are some stud bucks and it's always funner with family.

Shoot em till their dead

He is probably talking about the width that counts in the score. Outside width dont count for score. A 25 in buck with a 5 in kicker is not a 30 in buck IMO.

Great bucks. Im getting ready to go on a bowhunt in New Zealand with my dad and i cant wait. Congrats on a great hunt and 2 nice bucks.

Great Bucks and great story. The best part is that you got to share that experience with your dad.. that is priceless!!! I also never got to hunt with my dad as well. I hope I can share something like with my sons one day. Definately worth 12 pts IMO,Congrats to you and your dad!! I think both bucks on a pedestal mount together would look awesome!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom