Worth buying an elk tag?

callsalot

I will be hunting Colorado 3rd season deer in unit 70 this year. It will be my third time doing so. A friend who has hunted it more than me said he always sees some elk on this trip where I've only seen cows the first time and no elk the second time. He says the elk tag that coincides with the 3rd season deer is over the counter. Any thoughts on if it's worth picking up an elk tag in case I see a bull while deer hunting?

The OTC tags will be bull tags. Unless you get some substantial snow the odds of success will be low. If you are a NR that is a big price to pay for low odds.

That said if the day before the season there is a big snowstorm on The horizon ???

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I'm a non resident, I'm assuming you can buy a OTC tag up to the day before season. Thanks for you thoughts.

Correct. Tags can be purchased anywhere up to the day before the season. After the season opens they can only be purchased at CPW offices

txhunter58

The other question is will you shoot a raghorn or not? If not, then likely not worth it. If yes, then you have a hard decision to make!

This is just a fun hunt for me. In 2006 this was and awesome deer hunt but in 2014 it was not even close so I've resolved myself just to have fun and get an average buck or better and an elk would be a bonus. So to make a long answer shorter, yes I would shoot any legal bull.

I hunted unit 70 second season with some friends of mine that live there , last year, awesome unit " scenery wise" , I started around 11000 ft. then came down as the season progressed, not much for snow saw a couple elk. but its same old story the majority were down a private so my advise if you go is to hunt lower. good luck

I hunted 3rd season deer last year and 4th season the year before, and I did not see an elk in the daylight. I would not buy an elk tag.

No I wouldn't roll the dice for the amount of elk you might see.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks for everyone's input. After much thought I decided to buy the tag. It really ended up not being about everyone's input but more that I usually archery hunt elk a lot but this year due to a few things I didn't get near as much archery in as I usually do. So even though the odds are low and my main focus will be on Mule deer I just couldn't help myself. I'll be making a different post on the elk side of things.
Thanks to everyone who commented again and good luck to all.

I will be up there for 3rd season deer as well. My question is what about a Bear tag for $100 Bucks ,is that worth it ? Coming from AZ. not interested in Elk. Thanks...........BULL!

Third season is kinda late to find a bear. May be going dormant by then unless unseasonable warm

txhunter58

Thanks. I am used to Arizona where they are still out, Some people even say its not a true Hybernation down here . I dont. Know .Thanks on Colorado!,,,,,,,,,,,BULL!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom