Worthwhile to Scout the Paunsaugunt This Early for Deer??

Blank

Long Time Member
After 24 years of applying, I finally drew the Pauns muzzy deer tag I have hoped for. I have been down in that area a few times, stayed in both Kanab and Fredonia, and hunted 12B-West in AZ right on the line several times. I have not spent a lot of time up in the center or northern part of the unit. I will plan on being there for a week before the hunt, and hunt the entire season.

My question is this. Will there be a lot of useful info gained by scouting now? I would like to come down 3-4 days in late August. My options are: RV down low off of Highway 89, and then ride the SxS every day, RV camping further up in the unit, or tent camp from a truck camp with the SxS. Due to the transient nature of the deer, I assume some will already be drifting south by the middle of Sept. and the northern part of the unit might not be required?

Any info or pointers are very welcome!

This is a great time to scout. Especially if you can get in there before the archery hunters. Camp around Tropic res or south of there and drive that main road to the south in the morning and evening and you will see some nice bucks. Then if you want to drop off onto Scootumpah there’s some really good country there also.
It will be cooler up on top though.

100% agree with camping around Tropic reservoir (you can get an RV in that area no problem) and then exploring from there on your SxS. Not only will it be great to get a lay of the land, but it is some of the prettiest country around. Love that area!!

Thanks guys, appreciate it. I will definitely be down for the week before archery season stirs everything up.

Don't shy away from the top during your muzzy hunt. Good bucks still up high that time of year.

Late August would be a great time to learn some mid elevation country. You might find one summering low that got overlooked buy the professionals. I would camp atop the whites and move up from there.

It is a scattered hunt. A few on top, some in the middle. Download a Onx map to find out where the private property is, then learn every road around Millcreek to Heaton Ranch even though the deer will not be there early. Of course learn the top roads also, but the archers and rec. side by siders will have them skittish. That deer herd is one that you will see them a very little while after dawn and at dusk

First day, down in Kanab at 3:00, and scouting by 4:00. Torrential rains in many areas kept me out of some, and limited to pavement in others. Had to drive back out thru a mini flood in one spot, they have been using heavy equipment to plow mud off road in a couple spots. Tanks and depressions starting to fill up. Yay!!

First day, down in Kanab at 3:00, and scouting by 4:00. Torrential rains in many areas kept me out of some, and limited to pavement in others. Had to drive back out thru a mini flood in one spot, they have been using heavy equipment to plow mud off road in a couple spots. Tanks and depressions starting to fill up. Yay!!
Hopefully the weather will break for you & you can turn up a few bucks. Good luck to you! ??

Blank,
A MM friend of mine hunted the muzzy a few years back and he told me the deer moved a lot just before and during the hunt. He had to keep mobile to find them, but he eventually found a good buck.
Good luck

Home safe and sound, thanks to everyone for comments and areas to check. Learned a ton about roads and areas. Because of all the rain and mud, I was pretty careful being in there by myself. Lots of the roads crossing the ditches and deeper arroyos were blocked by debris form torrents. Your right tho, the area up around Tropic and all along that road is beautiful. Lower country has greened up amazing with a week of rain.

I switched out packs at the last minute, to carry a little lighter daypack, and my PhoneSkope adapter was in the wrong one. Did find some bucks, but they were right at the limit of my little camera. Nice to see bigger mature deer in a bunch tho!

C99A6103-7881-475C-905E-4020A0906340_1_201_a.jpeg

Don't shy away from the top during your muzzy hunt. Good bucks still up high that time of year.
I hunted the top on the muzzleloaders hunt and all the great bucks I saw while scouting early were long gone. I'm sure it varies from year to year but I'd say 95% of the bucks were off the top when I had the tag in 2015+/-.

I wouldn't totally discount the top but I spent way too much time there on the hunt.

Zeke

I'm not sure when the muzzy season date is but you are probably aware that bucks tend to change a bunch once they shed their velvet. They often tend to vanish into what seems like thin air. Scouting prior to velvet shedding time is generally the best time to see what bucks are available in your unit. It's great you are getting familiar with access, viewing locations, etc. Obviously the more time you spend in the off season getting to know the lay of the land the less time you'll be spinning your wheels later.

Another word of caution with Utah. It often seems like there are large groups of "spotters" for those that draw high demand tags. Be prepared to see other guys running up and down the main roads even though there may be few tags.

Yip, if the "MORE EYES"(guide services) during the season are not where you are hunting - move. Unless of course you are not looking for a 200 Buck. There are exceptions however we were down there two years ago and a guide service pulled off the road just in front of us, shot a 200 Buck right by the highway.

Several years back we wasted two days down there trying to stay away from people in an area where there were quite a few buck. Nothing big showed up. When we went where FOUR EYES were the big buck started showing up. They spotlight at night and they have so many cameras out, they have all of the big buck named.

They also use boosted cell phones to relay messages on where a big buck is and how to work the situation, You have your work cut out for you my friend, being in Idaho.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Each little piece fits into the puzzle, and starts to fill it out. I'm hoping for a mature buck first, and even if it is one someone else passes, it may be good enough. A monster would be icing on the cake.

To say this is a quest for the Holy Grail would be overstating it. An opportunity to wander the unit, with high hopes and gun in hand/friends and family in camp, is a better goal. It would not be the first tag I have put in the album, instead of a picture!!

Ya it's a shame to see what's happening in our higher quality deer units a regular hunter has to put in and wait 20+ years to draw a tag and then he has put up with the bs of all the high dollar outfitters and their posses.. It's not right but that's the way it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.as long as big $$$ are involved

I wouldn't worry about hunting the top 5%. There are plenty of great bucks to hunt without dealing with what is mentioned above.

I helped a friend with a rifle tag last year. There were more Trucks, Jeeps, Razr's on the Pauns than there are Taxi's on the Vegas Strip! If hunting the roads, its all about luck and being the one that drives by at the time the big one steps out. There are still Big bucks down there.

My boy hunted the regular hunt a couple of years ago and from our experience over the years, down there, if the season is dry the deer stay hidden most of the day. Today, there are so many recreationalists that, driving the road just doesn't cut it most of the time. He did get a real nice buck, but it was a mile from the road after spotting it from a ridge.

Another 3 day trip in the books. Saw a few dozen deer total, some bucks that were all still in velvet. Even the forked horns look big then!!! The deer are all starting to shed their red summer coats, so they look a little ratty. This one doe had a nasty hole in there back, and the flies were really bad. It was only 60 degrees at night, and 85 each day in the afternoon. Had a neat encounter with a big bobcat that walked right across the road as I was stopped, glassing deer!!! Proved that you can even drive the wife's car to the edge of the world in a couple spots. Glad she's out of town, so I could wash it really good before she got home. :)

Spent most of my time in the upper and middle part of the unit. Had rain again on Thurs and Friday, roads stayed in pretty good shape. Everything is very green, and all the tanks I checked had plenty of water this year. Didn't see very many archers, but there are more tourists and ATV riders than you can believe!!!

BA0086C5-6D31-4FA8-BD5C-C966598C53CA.png

8F6D31DD-02B8-46A2-BB9D-7FB611240AA8_1_201_a.jpeg

BAC5F801-565D-4397-87F8-CEEF53BC4113.jpeg

Wish it was just a little later, but it is what it is. Have to work that much harder I guess.

Glad you are getting to spend so much time scouting and getting to know the lay of the land Blank.

Exciting for sure

Robb

Blank, I’m just curious have you been seeing any elk down their on your trip. I’m going to be up on the plateau for my muzz elk hunt I’m assuming you will be down in the desert. We could definitely communicate during the hunt what we are seeing in both areas. LMK I’m head down this coming Wednesday for 21/2 weeks

Hi there. Yes, I've been all over the area, and have been checking for elk too. There are so many cows everywhere, it is difficult to check any water holes for tracks. I did hear some bugling the last night I was out until dark - up off the 185 road from Tropic back to the Park boundary. Answered your message.

Sounds like there could be a hard freeze in the high country the next couple of days. If so the annual parade downhill will begin.

Yep, they are talking down in the 30's here in Idaho. I imaging at 8000 feet there it will be similar. Hope so anyway!!

Blank, I’m just curious have you been seeing any elk down their on your trip. I’m going to be up on the plateau for my muzz elk hunt I’m assuming you will be down in the desert. We could definitely communicate during the hunt what we are seeing in both areas. LMK I’m head down this coming Wednesday for 21/2 weeks
It helps to find area's before hand that you want to hunt. I did this last weekend in AZ and found alot of stuff that wasn't on the map that was a huge help finding water that wasn't marked.

Went out today for my opening of muzzy antelope here in Idaho. Temps down in low 40's, lots of wind and rain. All mountains surrounding me had snow down for several thousand feet. The upper portion of Bell Mt. and Diamond Peak looked to have feet of snow up top. Coming home was exciting too. Hoping nobody was injured!!!

95926F27-5F5B-484A-AE66-78FA24D9F943_1_201_a.jpeg

B2C8AFE0-4B4E-4D2A-9629-7879CC5D1E85_1_201_a.jpeg

17154202-B12C-45B1-98B5-599044435494.jpeg

Thanks Robb. Yes, I have spent a little bit of time down looking around Tropic itself. There is just so much country it would take 6 months or more to look at it all. How do you hunt a thousand sq miles in 8 days???? :)

Blank, Looks like a small storm coming for the opener. I wouldn't spend to much on top and it looks as if the buck pool is poor this year, but there are still some fair ones. Don't get to excited and shoot a small one. A little water, if it happens, will speed up the migration.

last weekend they had thunder storms come thru there east of Kanab I was on the AZ side and they dropped alot rain in some area's other area's they didn't get a drop.

Got down Sat - went out 2 hours that night. 16 deer, 2 small bucks. Yesterday was better, 70 deer and 10 bucks. Best was a 170" 3-pt. This morning was 20 deer, but mother lode of bucks. Solid 5-6 yr old that was about 180". Would have shot on the opener, as he was beautiful!!! His buddy was a yr or two younger, but still solid 160". I'm looking forward to hunting too for 3 days, then May fight the crowds down below.

There really hasn't been any frost or bad weather. Temp last night was 38. Will see what this cold front brings.

Great scouting trip. NOW the Big one's close to the border you just chase them over. LOL
I'm going to head up on the 19th.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom